Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
If Gorka-Morka is done by anyone other than George Miller I will be bereft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
So we have Henry Cavill, he's a big star and a big nerd who is genuinely into this type of thing. How should we use him? I know, let's make episodes that don't follow one particular character at all.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Yeah the Fantasy model range was half their product range but allegedly was about 10% of their sales.

And they've just recently brought back Fantasy as The Old World, in all it's generic glory. But with a lower level of support, basically treating it as a niche game for super nerds.

yeah old world is not one of the games that they make for super cool kids, which i have helpfully listed here:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there are inequalities in nerdhood

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

QuarkJets posted:

yeah old world is not one of the games that they make for super cool kids, which i have helpfully listed here:

There are more ways to dive humanity than just nerds and cool people. The Old World is for big nerds who like big complex games using old weird models. 40k and AoS are aimed at kids and general nerds.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

I hope Henry Carvill's 40k show is slife-of-life vignettes of various Imperial worlds and how they deal with the various alien entities

the genestealer/tyranid invasion can be a two-parter

I did half-joke about doing it as a troupe, getting the same people to play different roles in a variety of different situions.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gripweed posted:

There are more ways to dive humanity than just nerds and cool people. The Old World is for big nerds who like big complex games using old weird models. 40k and AoS are aimed at kids and general nerds.

they're all aimed at big nerds actually

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

If the Cavill show isn't just the Caiphas Cain books then what's the point?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

So we have Henry Cavill, he's a big star and a big nerd who is genuinely into this type of thing. How should we use him? I know, let's make episodes that don't follow one particular character at all.

Yeah, but apparently Cavill mains Custodes. So who knows what we'd get if they centered the whole show around him...

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there are inequalities in nerdhood

Nerdhood is a totem pole, 40k is near the bottom.

edit: :orks101:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

QuarkJets posted:

they're all aimed at big nerds actually

They invented Stormcast because inexperienced young painters have trouble with skin and lots of little models, so they needed big armored elite guys to be an intro army like they have with Space Marines in 40k.

Compare that to TOW, where the good guy starter faction was fuckin Brettonia. They're clearly aiming for different demographics.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You are seriously kidding yourself with that marketing demographic phrenology poo poo. There's no real difference, never has been. If they just wanted Sigmarines to sell to the kiddies they could have just added them to Warhammer Fantasy, bringing it back as The Old World is sheepishly admitting that burning the setting to the ground and pissing on the ashes was a completely unforced error on their part that pissed off people who had stuck with it buying their poo poo for years.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Gripweed posted:

Kingdom Death

Not a drat nipple in the bunch. How am I going to convince other players to join in a binding resolution to destroy all nuclear weapons and enter into a new era of peace and equality without a little nip??

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You are seriously kidding yourself with that marketing demographic phrenology poo poo. There's no real difference, never has been. If they just wanted Sigmarines to sell to the kiddies they could have just added them to Warhammer Fantasy, bringing it back as The Old World is sheepishly admitting that burning the setting to the ground and pissing on the ashes was a completely unforced error on their part that pissed off people who had stuck with it buying their poo poo for years.

just because you're angry about it doesnt mean that sales didn't more than quadruple

their paint line sold better than whfb at one point

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 7, 2024

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gripweed posted:

They invented Stormcast because inexperienced young painters have trouble with skin and lots of little models, so they needed big armored elite guys to be an intro army like they have with Space Marines in 40k.

Compare that to TOW, where the good guy starter faction was fuckin Brettonia. They're clearly aiming for different demographics.

The new demographic being big nerds who have trouble painting skin

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

AoS has been consistently selling better than Fantasy ever did. It's certainly theoretically possible that in an alternate timeline where The End Times never happened, the new management at GW was able to turn Fantasy around, make it not impossible for new players, piggyback off the success of the Total War games, and turn Fantasy into an AoS level hit.

But now they get to have AoS and Fantasy. They get to have their cake and eat it too.

QuarkJets posted:

The new demographic being big nerds who have trouble painting skin

No like actual children.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Listen

Orks is best.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

LanceHunter posted:

Honestly, my dream is that the Henry Cavill WH40k project has one episode that's basically a complete Predator rip-off, with a bunch of outmatched Catachans in the jungle getting picked off one-by-one by some minor demon. Only a small few survive through sheer ingenuity and willpower.

Fairly certain there's a short story in one of the 2nd ed codexes that is basically predator but with a Lictor.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

lol let's go. warhammer thread turning out exactly as i expected

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I don't even paint minis but I kinda want to give painting skin a go now out of curiosity

naem
May 29, 2011

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Listen

Orks is best.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

i think warhammer is funny and my brother painted some real killer skaven and khemri armies back when we were teenagers

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Xun posted:

I don't even paint minis but I kinda want to give painting skin a go now out of curiosity

Its fun. I used to paint a few times ago just to relax.

I keep meaning to pick it up, but a bunch of my paints have tried out and I'm not sure how many of them I can salvage.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
I posted this earlier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCMNWAJiz5Y

Youtube translate turned one of the lines into "Ah, the monk ice cream so well on this planet.."

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

why is ferrus manus red

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I should have said orkz iz best

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Improbable Lobster posted:

why is ferrus manus red

Red is the colour of iron, like in your blood cells

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Red is the colour of iron, like in your blood cells

Plus, he has to pee, maybe there's a severe rust issue going on.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
sanguinis, on the other hand, is red because it is the colour of blood, like the iron in your blood cells

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
has anyone read any of the AoS books? are any of them good? i love Old World Mythology it's so over the top and crazy but i'm not a fan of playing Warhammer Fantasy. I like AoS much better but don't know much about the setting other than what happens directly after The End Times.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

thin blue whine posted:

has anyone read any of the AoS books? are any of them good? i love Old World Mythology it's so over the top and crazy but i'm not a fan of playing Warhammer Fantasy. I like AoS much better but don't know much about the setting other than what happens directly after The End Times.

Gloomspite is good. Court of the Blind King is good if you like stories about elves who suck, Realm-Lords isn't bad if you like monk-style elves.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

thin blue whine posted:

Josh Reynolds' Soul Wars.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Improbable Lobster posted:

why is ferrus manus red

Why is Mortarion green, given that this would be pre-heresy?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Fatty posted:

Why is Mortarion green, given that this would be pre-heresy?

Foreshadowing being sent to the poison planet

also re: Aos vs Warhammer Fantasy - wasn't original Warham Fantasy TT a complete slog to play? i.e. the game could go for hours and hours with buckets of dice, unkillable bullshit, movement trays, but also the game could be over in the 1st round if certain factions like Slaan or High Elves made their magic scroll rolls? and as an extension of that, its why AoS rules at launch were grognardy beerhammer bullshit?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vampire Panties posted:

Foreshadowing being sent to the poison planet

also re: Aos vs Warhammer Fantasy - wasn't original Warham Fantasy TT a complete slog to play? i.e. the game could go for hours and hours with buckets of dice, unkillable bullshit, movement trays, but also the game could be over in the 1st round if certain factions like Slaan or High Elves made their magic scroll rolls? and as an extension of that, its why AoS rules at launch were grognardy beerhammer bullshit?

Probably, but GW rules have never been known for their excellent refinement or mechanical balance, pretty sure every one of their games has had the same problems at least some of the time.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

lol @ dawn the armor

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

pissed off people who had stuck with it buying their poo poo for years.

There are dozens of us.gif

Remember when gw came round to peoples houses and took away all their old fantasy models and sourcebooks making the game literally impossible to play ever again?

Mr Teatime fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 7, 2024

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Skulker posted:

If Gorka-Morka is done by anyone other than George Miller I will be bereft.

Did we already ask what the humans in Gorka-Morka are called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

To be fair... posted:

Did we already ask what the humans in Gorka-Morka are called?

Somewhere in Nottingham, the year 1996 “I’ve just had an extremely good idea for our new gang based skirmish game”.