Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Going to be referring to nukes as fancy bombs from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
if it doesn't follow the refined rules of kanly it's just sparkling political murder

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I like to think of "house atomics" in the same sense as "house cats". These are the atomics that we don't allow outside.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Well I saw this mess whilst on probation all I can say is

-Are we not gonna talk about how racist this mess was?

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Be the start you wanna see.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Racist against baldies, smdh. Some of my close friends are bald

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I was gonna make a Hitman joke but 47 would fit right in

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
MORE 👏 LATINA 👏 SARDAUKAR 👏 COMMANDOS 👏 DENIS

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
In Dune 2, the whitest possible people are presented as being the absolute worst. As a proud member of the Aryan r--

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Interesting how Liet-Kynes, Thufir and Jaime all got erased/killed

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
lol if you think that wasn't on some white savior mess

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
did you, like, go home 40 minutes before the end of the second one

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Ok

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Maybe just cop another probation

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

galagazombie posted:

I know Billionaires and Oil Barons are evil and all but really how are they not running out of servants?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Maudib Arakkis posted:

I guess if you love galactic holocausts then yes, he’s your savior.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Guys the book written from the 60’s has some old tropes, even though it still has important lessons for today.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
herbert literally wrote a sequel because he was pissed that peeps thought he put that one in when he wanted to basically put the opposite one in

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Maudib Arakkis posted:

1. what are you on about (i just skipped forward a bunch of pages)
2. ill assume and cut to the chase that — paul is explicitly the bad guy in dune, if you listen to frank herbert talking about it he says he made paul as the ultimate monomyth character specifically to show why the monomyth sucks poo poo and why we shouldn't believe in or trust god men leaders to secure our future

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Yknow you could at least have found an interesting angle like criticizing the casting or restarting the "is saying jihad more or less racist" argument, please do a better job trolling next time

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

literally frankie boy says it explicitly in this 1 hour interview with him:

https://youtu.be/A-mLVVJkH7I

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

StashAugustine posted:

Yknow you could at least have found an interesting angle like criticizing the casting or restarting the "is saying jihad more or less racist" argument, please do a better job trolling next time

"is saying jihad racist" — Meranda Ketita, who I believe is algerian-american, says in her video[1] that that word choice is explicitly chosen because Algerian resistance to French Colonialism, and indeed any bipoc resistance to colonialism have always been termed "holy wars"/"jihads" by the colonisers.

[1]: https://youtu.be/k_IaHOTO1qY

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 7, 2024

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Just lol if you think Frank Herbert was pulling some racist poo poo rather than critiquing racism and white saviour mentalities when he's on record stating that he meant Dune as an explicitly anti-Western, anti-Monomyth, anti-White Saviour work, and he went out of his way to write the sequels to explicitly clean that whole thing up.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 7, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it is quite the thing tho that the good adaptation of dune comes out when the power of opec is basically utterly broken and arab liberation is at a general standstill (or regression) tho

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 7, 2024

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

In other news my Folio Society copy of Dune arrived and it’s fantastic

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Scarabrae posted:

In other news my Folio Society copy of Dune arrived and it’s fantastic

I've got the 1985 books (Gerry Grace cover art) and they look okish, but they are mine! :D

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I like to think of "house atomics" in the same sense as "house cats". These are the atomics that we don't allow outside.

House atomics as in house wine, the not lovely but not amazing option.

Sir, may I interest you in the 10098 Ixian Cabernet Fission? It has nutty undertones with an aftertaste of ionising radiation.

No thanks, just house atomics, please.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Wait, the movie where the alleged white savior goes back on his word and refuses to free Arrakis, then leaves his Fremen lover for a white princess, then starts a war and kills billions of people is pro white savior?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
totally counts as freedom if you become the capital of a galactic empire, right?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

My PIN is 4826 posted:

House atomics as in house wine, the not lovely but not amazing option.

Sir, may I interest you in the 10098 Ixian Cabernet Fission? It has nutty undertones with an aftertaste of ionising radiation.

No thanks, just house atomics, please.

Manufactured by the fabled engineer Kierklan Signatz-uhr on the planet Kostako.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

totally counts as freedom if you become the capital of a galactic empire, right?

Freedom = re-instituting slavery

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Just Another Lurker posted:

I've got the 1985 books (Gerry Grace cover art) and they look okish, but they are mine! :D

Them the ones that show you the Golden Path from start to finish when lined up?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Monica Bellucci posted:

Them the ones that show you the Golden Path from start to finish when lined up?

Yep, i went a couple of decades before finding out about that... the books are on my shelf and i never caught on!. :doh: :doh: :doh:

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Best covers buddy :respek:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

alexandriao posted:

Just lol if you think Frank Herbert was pulling some racist poo poo rather than critiquing racism and white saviour mentalities when he's on record stating that he meant Dune as an explicitly anti-Western, anti-Monomyth, anti-White Saviour work, and he went out of his way to write the sequels to explicitly clean that whole thing up.

I know that someone is the good guy when he kills 61 billion people and compares himself to Hitler

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
it's a little known fact that in his youth paul modded xbox controllers in a youtube channel under the screen name "spicelord_bonerhitler_69"

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Bubblyblubber posted:

it's a little known fact that in his youth paul modded xbox controllers in a youtube channel under the screen name "spicelord_bonerhitler_69"

It's important to me that everybody reading this knows it's absolutely unexaggerated truth:

https://www.tiktok.com/@ign/video/7311749425435512107?lang=en

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PAUL: Have you heard of Hitler? He killed several million people.
STILGAR: He sounds like a total pussy, my lord. Those are rookie numbers, you gotta get those numbers up.
PAUL: Yes, he was. I am like Hitler, but better. I am looking directly at the audience and making sure the audience is clear that I, Paul, am a complete loving monster by comparing myself, somewhat awkwardly lorewise, to a man you, the audience, will directly look at and go 'wow, that guy sure was loving evil' and then going I, Paul, am much more evil than he is. Let me make it very clear to you, the audience, that I have created a blood soaked legacy of horror and disgust that I, myself, had previously said was a horrible path to walk and I did not want to walk it. I am speaking to you, the audience. I am a bad person. Even if I have a theoretical goal that could be viewed as positive, I only achieve it by abusing and destroying everyone around me and unchecked innocents.
STILGAR: Flawless logic sir.
LETO: Egads! The Golden Path is ruined. But... what if I were to fuse with sandtrout and disguise it as my own plan? Delightfully Devilish, Leto!

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I haven't read past the first book in a very long time. Why did Paul have a giant murderous jihad after becoming emperor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I think the other Great Houses were going to depose him and kill all of the Fremen unless he destroyed them all.