Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

what kind of laptop is it? some manufacturers wire up those keys to generate ACPI events instead of keyboard scancodes and you might need to load some stupid kernel module e.g. thinkpad_acpi.ko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

like this awful garbage https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/acpid#Enabling_volume_control

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

shackleford posted:

what kind of laptop is it? some manufacturers wire up those keys to generate ACPI events instead of keyboard scancodes and you might need to load some stupid kernel module e.g. thinkpad_acpi.ko

it is a dell G3 3500. again the keys worked fine in gnome so however that does it might work (although im guessing it isnt that simple)

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

maybe try the acpi_listen utility and see if the kernel is recognizing the keypresses as ACPI events?

GNOME probably has its own daemon (GNOME Power Manager?) that handles ACPI events

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the window is losing focus because the key events are getting sent to a different window which has registered for the global hotkeys and that other window isn't doing anything with them because you've deliberately chosen to hurt yourself by using some grognard window manager

you should be able to see the volume key events with the "libinput debug-events" command running in a terminal

flijc
May 16, 2023

hbag posted:

...well it doesnt seem to give an actual KeyPress and KeyRelease event like all the other keys on the keyboard, instead i get this when i tap f3 (the volume up key):

code:
FocusOut event, serial 34, synthetic NO, window 0x2a00001,
    mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyAncestor

FocusOut event, serial 34, synthetic NO, window 0x2a00001,
    mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyPointer

FocusIn event, serial 34, synthetic NO, window 0x2a00001,
    mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyAncestor

KeymapNotify event, serial 34, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
    keys:  4294967230 0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   
           0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   

xev reports these FocusIn/Out events to me because i3 has already mapped the volume up/down keys.

Did you copy the default config from /etc/i3 when getting started? If you did, it's possible that the default volume control mappings aren't sending the appropriate commands to pipewire/pulse (it happened to me).

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

flijc posted:

xev reports these FocusIn/Out events to me because i3 has already mapped the volume up/down keys.

Did you copy the default config from /etc/i3 when getting started? If you did, it's possible that the default volume control mappings aren't sending the appropriate commands to pipewire/pulse (it happened to me).

when it asked if i wanted to generate a config file at ~/.config/i3/config i said yeah

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
You should probably use Sway instead of I3, as it supports Wayland and I3 doesn't.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

pseudorandom name posted:

the window is losing focus because the key events are getting sent to a different window which has registered for the global hotkeys and that other window isn't doing anything with them because you've deliberately chosen to hurt yourself by using some grognard window manager

you should be able to see the volume key events with the "libinput debug-events" command running in a terminal

you were right, i just wasnt focused on the right window. when i check xev now it seems the volume up key (on f3 (you have to hold fn to get actual f3)) is keycode 123, which doesnt make sense because keycode 123 is apparently f12. and f12 is keycode 233, unless you hold fn to use f12 itself rather than the brightness up button, in which case its keycode 96

libinput says the volume up key is KEY_VOLUMEUP (115), volume down is KEY_VOLUMEDOWN (114), etc, but again those keycodes dont seem to match up. unless the keycode chart im looking at is just completely wrong. or dell have built a really hosed up keyboard (doesnt seem to be the case as pressing fn + f3 in firefox has the same result as pressing f3 on my desktop's keyboard)

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

after manually trying the command the key is set up to run in my i3 config (pactl set-sink-volume @DEFAULT_SINK@ +10%) it doesnt seem to actually do anything anyway so that might be it

hbag fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 7, 2024

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

ah it seems the problem is the sink is suspended. time to figure out how to unsuspend it

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

decided to check that i actually had pulseaudio installed even though im pretty certain i did install it and its giving me this. not sure what i should do about it

code:
Error: 
 Problem: problem with installed package pipewire-pulseaudio-1.0.3-1.fc38.x86_64
  - package pipewire-pulseaudio-1.0.3-1.fc38.x86_64 from @System conflicts with pulseaudio provided by pulseaudio-16.1-4.fc38.x86_64 from fedora
  - package pipewire-pulseaudio-1.0.3-1.fc38.x86_64 from @System conflicts with pulseaudio-daemon provided by pulseaudio-16.1-4.fc38.x86_64 from fedora
  - package pulseaudio-16.1-4.fc38.x86_64 from fedora conflicts with pulseaudio-daemon provided by pipewire-pulseaudio-1.0.3-1.fc38.x86_64 from @System
  - package pipewire-pulseaudio-0.3.67-1.fc38.x86_64 from fedora conflicts with pulseaudio provided by pulseaudio-16.1-4.fc38.x86_64 from fedora
  - package pipewire-pulseaudio-0.3.67-1.fc38.x86_64 from fedora conflicts with pulseaudio-daemon provided by pulseaudio-16.1-4.fc38.x86_64 from fedora
  - package pulseaudio-16.1-4.fc38.x86_64 from fedora conflicts with pulseaudio-daemon provided by pipewire-pulseaudio-0.3.67-1.fc38.x86_64 from fedora
  - package pulseaudio-16.1-4.fc38.x86_64 from fedora conflicts with pulseaudio-daemon provided by pipewire-pulseaudio-1.0.3-1.fc38.x86_64 from updates
  - package pipewire-pulseaudio-1.0.3-1.fc38.x86_64 from updates conflicts with pulseaudio provided by pulseaudio-16.1-4.fc38.x86_64 from fedora
  - package pipewire-pulseaudio-1.0.3-1.fc38.x86_64 from updates conflicts with pulseaudio-daemon provided by pulseaudio-16.1-4.fc38.x86_64 from fedora
  - conflicting requests
(try to add '--allowerasing' to command line to replace conflicting packages or '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages)
im gonna stop spamming the thread because i dont want to derail it but i would appreciate help

mystes
May 31, 2006

Are you trying to use pipewire or pulseaudio? It looks like you're trying to install both.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

mystes posted:

Are you trying to use pipewire or pulseaudio? It looks like you're trying to install both.

i have no idea man. i want my audio to work but i also dont want to uninstall anything that gnome uses in case i decide to switch back to that

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
love that sound on linux is still a shitshow in the year of our LORD two thousand and twenty-four

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
fake rear end fuckin operating system lmao

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’m glad hbag is getting the full i3 experience

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
just use kde

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

well i just checked and the volume controls still work fine in gnome so i dont THINK i need to uninstall anything

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
gnome had been identified as carcinogenic by the state of california

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

so has water

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
anything that needs that much hydrogen is sus

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’m glad hbag is getting the full i3 experience

i mean its satisfying to get everything configured exactly how i want it and im sure if i figure this audio poo poo out i will be spending hours making it look as shiny as i can

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

you know for how much poo poo uses "font awesome" youd think theyd make it easy to find somewhere to get it. it isnt on dnf and their website seems to have everything BUT a way to get the fonts

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

alright i dont know why or how but for some reason switching from i3bar to polybar has entirely fixed the audio problems

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

i'm really happy this change is finally making it in. i had to mask my nvidia drivers to 535 because the 550 drivers caused awful stuttering in anything that was even remotely taxing on the GPU. i thought about putting the patches in myself but :effort:

would have bought an AMD but i built this PC when windows wasn't quite as terrible and linux gaming is mostly good now thanks to proton even with the bullshit nvidia garbage

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

hbag posted:

alright i dont know why or how but for some reason switching from i3bar to polybar has entirely fixed the audio problems

:toot:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lol Linux audio

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Works for me. Pipewire is pretty good.

Stop trying to janitor poo poo and do whatever your distro considers best. That's their job.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

:same: pipewire is pretty cool and being able to edit OS level audio routing directly with qpwgraph is great

I just wish I could screen share with audio reliably :negative: but I think this is a Wayland issue?

mystes
May 31, 2006

hbag posted:

you know for how much poo poo uses "font awesome" youd think theyd make it easy to find somewhere to get it. it isnt on dnf and their website seems to have everything BUT a way to get the fonts
It's for web pages. You install it via npm.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
i use a mac which is the best linux because the sound buttons all work as advertised right out of the box

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
if youre not trying to effectively build your own desktop environment from scratch sound works fine in linux for the most part, as well

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Antigravitas posted:

Works for me. Pipewire is pretty good.

Stop trying to janitor poo poo and do whatever your distro considers best. That's their job.

yes, do not start janitoring sound server stuff. pipewire is the default because 1000% better than pulseaudio and probably any other audio frameworks on any os (only coreaudio is really comparable)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

fresh_cheese posted:

i use a mac which is the best linux because the sound buttons all work as advertised right out of the box

cool hey quick q how do i turn down the headphone volume on my usb-c dock then because macos goes :nono: when i attempt to move the volume slider down from the maximum, tia

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sapozhnik posted:

cool hey quick q how do i turn down the headphone volume on my usb-c dock then because macos goes :nono: when i attempt to move the volume slider down from the maximum, tia

you don't lol. you might be able to adjust it in "audio MIDI setup" if that still comes with macos but idk if it still does, apple has been removing poo poo like that for like 15 years now because they don't want you to control your own computer

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

hbag posted:

decided to check that i actually had pulseaudio installed even though im pretty certain i did install it and its giving me this. not sure what i should do about it

code:
Error: 
 Problem: problem with installed package pipewire-pulseaudio-1.0.3-1.fc38.x86_64
  - package pipewire-pulseaudio-1.0.3-1.fc38.x86_64 from @System conflicts with pulseaudio provided by pulseaudio-16.1-4.fc38.x86_64 from fedora
  - package pipewire-pulseaudio-1.0.3-1.fc38.x86_64 from @System conflicts with pulseaudio-daemon provided by pulseaudio-16.1-4.fc38.x86_64 from fedora
  - package pulseaudio-16.1-4.fc38.x86_64 from fedora conflicts with pulseaudio-daemon provided by pipewire-pulseaudio-1.0.3-1.fc38.x86_64 from @System
  - package pipewire-pulseaudio-0.3.67-1.fc38.x86_64 from fedora conflicts with pulseaudio provided by pulseaudio-16.1-4.fc38.x86_64 from fedora
  - package pipewire-pulseaudio-0.3.67-1.fc38.x86_64 from fedora conflicts with pulseaudio-daemon provided by pulseaudio-16.1-4.fc38.x86_64 from fedora
  - package pulseaudio-16.1-4.fc38.x86_64 from fedora conflicts with pulseaudio-daemon provided by pipewire-pulseaudio-0.3.67-1.fc38.x86_64 from fedora
  - package pulseaudio-16.1-4.fc38.x86_64 from fedora conflicts with pulseaudio-daemon provided by pipewire-pulseaudio-1.0.3-1.fc38.x86_64 from updates
  - package pipewire-pulseaudio-1.0.3-1.fc38.x86_64 from updates conflicts with pulseaudio provided by pulseaudio-16.1-4.fc38.x86_64 from fedora
  - package pipewire-pulseaudio-1.0.3-1.fc38.x86_64 from updates conflicts with pulseaudio-daemon provided by pulseaudio-16.1-4.fc38.x86_64 from fedora
  - conflicting requests
(try to add '--allowerasing' to command line to replace conflicting packages or '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages)
im gonna stop spamming the thread because i dont want to derail it but i would appreciate help

the pipewire and pulseaudio servers both implement the pulseaudio client-server protocol. that's why clients that support pulseaudio don't have to care whether the server is pipewire or pulseaudio and utilities like pactl and pavucontrol that were designed to work with pulseaudio continue to work with pipewire. but you can't have the pulseaudio and pipewire servers installed at the same time which it looks like that's what the above output is trying to say

in general if you install a linux distro with a GUI desktop environment these days it will correctly install the sound server packages etc. that you need (and it will be pipewire because distros are migrating from pulseaudio to pipewire) and it doesn't require janitoring. unless it's some broken rear end poo poo like devuan lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shackleford posted:

the pipewire and pulseaudio servers both implement the pulseaudio client-server protocol. that's why clients that support pulseaudio don't have to care whether the server is pipewire or pulseaudio and utilities like pactl and pavucontrol that were designed to work with pulseaudio continue to work with pipewire. but you can't have the pulseaudio and pipewire servers installed at the same time which it looks like that's what the above output is trying to say

in general if you install a linux distro with a GUI desktop environment these days it will correctly install the sound server packages etc. that you need (and it will be pipewire because distros are migrating from pulseaudio to pipewire) and it doesn't require janitoring. unless it's some broken rear end poo poo like devuan lol

i was considering posting something similar to this but didn't bother because hbag is constitutionally incapable of taking correct advice

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

https://ffmpeg.org/ posted:

A new major release, FFmpeg 7.0 "Dijkstra", is now available for download. The most noteworthy changes for most users are a native VVC decoder (currently experimental, until more fuzzing is done), IAMF support, or a multi-threaded ffmpeg CLI tool.

This release is not backwards compatible, removing APIs deprecated before 6.0. The biggest change for most library callers will be the removal of the old bitmask-based channel layout API, replaced by the AVChannelLayout API allowing such features as custom channel ordering, or Ambisonics. Certain deprecated ffmpeg CLI options were also removed, and a C11-compliant compiler is now required to build the code.

As usual, there is also a number of new supported formats and codecs, new filters, APIs, and countless smaller features and bugfixes. Compared to 6.1, the git repository contains almost ∼2000 new commits by ∼100 authors, touching >100000 lines in ∼2000 files — thanks to everyone who contributed. See the Changelog, APIchanges, and the git log for more comprehensive lists of changes.

lol i had no idea VVC was this far along? isn't it just going to be a big ol' pile of patents that no one is gonna want to voluntarily use?

quote:

To reduce the risk of the problems seen when licensing HEVC implementations, for VVC a new group called the Media Coding Industry Forum (MC-IF) was founded.[15][16] However, MC-IF had no power over the standardization process, which was based on technical merit as determined by consensus decisions of JVET.[17]

Four companies were initially vying to be patent pool administrators for VVC, in a situation similar to the previous AVC[18] and HEVC[19] codecs. Two companies later formed patent pools: Access Advance and MPEG LA (now known as Via-LA).[20]

Access Advance published their licensing fee in April 2021.[21] Via-LA published their licensing fee in January 2022.[22]

Companies known not to be a part of the Access Advance or Via-LA patent pools as of November 2023 are: Apple, Canon, Ericsson, Fraunhofer, Google, Huawei, Humax, Intel, LG, Interdigital, Maxell, Microsoft, Oppo, Qualcomm, Samsung, Sharp and Sony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
sound sucks on any os the moment you dare try anything beyond plugging in a usb or Bluetooth setup. windows loves to randomly change the bitrate on my buddy’s professional mic when he plugs it into a mixer.

pipewire has at least reached parity with the desktop OSes in that I haven’t had to dick with it for a pair of sennheisers plugged into a DAC/amp via usb