Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

cheeseboy58 posted:

Im gonna miss the bots yall ive grown fond of their quirks and dropships i can shoot down

I'm kinda waiting for them to stop being the focus for a bit soon, maybe it's just because of when I got into the game (mid March but I really properly cracked into it the last couple weeks) but it feels like they've been the focus the entire time I've been playing really, I only played a couple of those termicide missions for example before they were gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003
I beat an eradicate mission by running out of bounds and then weaving through all the bots as death rained down around me :laugh:

Game rules

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm sure there's gonna be a continued ebb and flow to who gets to be the spotlight baddies especially once Illuminate arrive.

I mean if we succeed the major order we've destroyed the bots and they will leave never to be heard from again.

whiskey patrol posted:

I beat an eradicate mission by running out of bounds and then weaving through all the bots as death rained down around me :laugh:

Game rules

Says a lot that to kill the enemy that kind of firepower is on a cooldown but to kill a deserter they can apparently shell nonstop.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

What happened in Helldivers 1 when an enemy got pushed off the map? I assumed they might be gone for a bit but wouldn't disappear forever.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

FeculentWizardTits posted:

What happened in Helldivers 1 when an enemy got pushed off the map? I assumed they might be gone for a bit but wouldn't disappear forever.

they were gone forever for the rest of the war. but the game is also on war number 135. i assume that helldivers 2 will work similarly once the galactic war actually starts

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Having seen the story spoilers that were datamined, we very much are in the prologue of the story lmao.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

I'm pretty sure the wars are going to be much longer this time around.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Is there a mechanic I'm missing when multiple drop ships arrive consecutively? I took one out and another came in seconds later and I didn't have the charge ready for the quasar cannon :(

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

turn off the TV posted:

they were gone forever for the rest of the war. but the game is also on war number 135. i assume that helldivers 2 will work similarly once the galactic war actually starts

...you mean we're not already in a galactic war? What's the difference?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Video Nasty posted:

Is there a mechanic I'm missing when multiple drop ships arrive consecutively? I took one out and another came in seconds later and I didn't have the charge ready for the quasar cannon :(

Yes, if the budget for the drop fills one ship and there's more leftover, they go on additional ships

E: very obvious with tanks, because they take up one ship by themselves

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Video Nasty posted:

Higher difficulties = bigger drops. You'll also get a ton of dropships if you get caught by a detector tower or gunship's spotter eye.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I'm guessing they mean with all factions added and not just having the bots and bugs on board which makes it considerably easier to focus.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

You'll also get a ton of dropships if you get caught by a detector tower or gunship's spotter eye.
This is likely what happened as I had very poor situational awareness at the time. Thanks!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

right now the galactic map layer is very clearly on rails and following a narrative that the devs have written with player actions being largely superfluous.

like just look at the supply line map

the majority of supply lines are just placeholders outside of the spot where the bots are, bugs are, and the planets between cyberstan and super earth that definitely are not going to be taken over by automatons on monday. and none of those even have a connection to super earth so the players couldn't even lose if we tried. i assume that the game will transition to a fully dynamic, helldivers 1 style campaign at a certain point and start going through cyclical wars with more dynamic events at a certain point.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 7, 2024

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Lprsti99 posted:

Yes, if the budget for the drop fills one ship and there's more leftover, they go on additional ships

E: very obvious with tanks, because they take up one ship by themselves

i love the tank drops because often they will zoom in at normal altitude then float up really high before dropping the tank

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Video Nasty posted:

This is likely what happened as I had very poor situational awareness at the time. Thanks!

I forgot that ore vein objectives get lots of dropships too.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Post some good Helldiving music

I'll start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWzDVZnng7c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q88koeaqrEg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0RPBcBEVFM

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Just the team America world police soundtrack on loop forever

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

right now the galactic map layer is very clearly on rails and following a narrative that the devs have written with player actions being largely superfluous.

the majority of supply lines are just placeholders outside of the spot where the bots are, bugs are, and the planets between cyberstan and super earth that definitely are not going to be taken over by automatons on monday. and none of those even have a connection to super earth so the players couldn't even lose if we tried. i assume that the game will transition to a fully dynamic, helldivers 1 style campaign at a certain point and start going through cyclical wars with more dynamic events at a certain point.

All of them are placeholders EXCEPT the ones in the north.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

turn off the TV posted:

I was wondering a while back why supply lines weren't on the map screen, and that would certainly explain why. :lol:

Still, it's been fun seeing everyone come together for Operation Swift Disassembly - stuff like this is the kind of thing that helps build a lasting community, which may be part of why they did it this way in the first place.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hope we don’t have to only fight bugs for a while by killing the robots because gently caress bugs they are not fun to play at all.

Did a level 7 and it SUCKED.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
Yeah, I enjoy bugs but I seriously hope they don't allow time without bots to fight, especially as I'm supposed to be playing with my regular weekly group tonight who were excited to try bots so it would be pretty inconvenient if the narrative removes the content. I'm happy for people who dig the pseudo-emergent storyline but I still think I'd prefer to just choose my own battles as and when I want, personally.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I hope we don’t have to only fight bugs for a while by killing the robots because gently caress bugs they are not fun to play at all.

Did a level 7 and it SUCKED.

Idk what team comp you were running but bug 7’s are a walk in the park compared to bot 7’s. Two people with eats/quasars and two people with gl/ac and there’s literally nothing on the map that can’t be solved with what’s in your hands. Stratagems are just icing on the cake.

Bile titans are a little bit harder to deal with than tanks/hulks but they also don’t deal with terrain very well and you can kite them for years.

Really the only thing that sucks is hellmire + bugs. gently caress that planet.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Darox posted:

As long as you're not bringing something useless like the reinforcement boosters (or worse, nothing) I don't really mind which boosters get brought.

I wish the reinforcement counter would tick up before you run out, it would make some of those boosters actually useful

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Goon Helldiving Experience: Dropping in directly next to a Factory Strider on a 12min blitz

:mcnally:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They just swarm you. Robots are fun because they are tactical and you can blow up their ship and have some kind of a chance at escaping.

Bugs just spray their little smoke and then it’s 9 bile titans and a foggy map forever.

We did a helldive robot mission the other night and it was so fun. Can’t imagine bugs lol.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

The bots can't see anything either. You can just walk into a base and plant a hellbomb.

Gunships can still aggro on you in sandstorms.

Lost a mission because my teammates refused to do side missions and there were two gunship towers next to the third mission area and by the end there were 7 gunships in the general area of both the mission and the spawning towers. They kept reinforcing into the area of the mission so we went from ten reinforcements to none in a span of about two minutes. You'd land and just immediately have a gunship aggro'd on you.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Got helldivers 2 yeaterday... Are... Are we the bad guys?

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Anyone else getting a "Failed to established network connection" error when trying to play right now?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

the unabonger posted:

Gunships can still aggro on you in sandstorms.

Lost a mission because my teammates refused to do side missions and there were two gunship towers next to the third mission area and by the end there were 7 gunships in the general area of both the mission and the spawning towers. They kept reinforcing into the area of the mission so we went from ten reinforcements to none in a span of about two minutes. You'd land and just immediately have a gunship aggro'd on you.

I also had a mission basically implode due to people ignoring a gunship tower a few days ago. They seem to increase patrol spawns like outposts do as well so they are just really bad to leave alive.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Drone_Fragger posted:

:hmmyes:

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

no, we are the good guys

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Infinitum posted:

The Goon Helldiving Experience: Dropping in directly next to a Factory Strider on a 12min blitz

:mcnally:

lol, yeah, that was a fun drop

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Drone_Fragger posted:

That sounds like treason soldier

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Drone_Fragger posted:

please report to your democracy officer

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Drone_Fragger posted:

Mods??!

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Drone_Fragger posted:

No, now shut up and eat your amphetamine-dosed foods, re-enslave the bugs for their oil, and continue to execute dissidents.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Drone_Fragger posted:

You should go do some bot missions! They're 100% defeated in a few hours, and you'll never hear from them again.

Nice and cruisey Bug only missions from now on!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Drone_Fragger posted:

Bad guys don’t administer freedom and democracy to liberate the galaxy 🗣🗣🗣🦅🦅🦅

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Infinitum posted:

You should go do some bot missions! They're 100% defeated in a few hours, and you'll never hear from them again.

Nice and cruisey Bug only missions from now on!

Thank you for saying this. I have been hearing too many unsubstantiated rumors. Things about a message sent to outside the galaxy. A counter invasion of their homework. Nonsense. Do not believe these unthinking machine's lies.