Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If im driving I take the deck. If it’s a flight it’s always the switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

haddedam posted:

Actually might not be a bad idea to stray from the sweaty realistic wargame and try something completely different. The game you reccomended looks real nice.

If you're OK with that level of casual tactics game, you might also want to check out Wargroove and Battle for Wesnoth. I can definitely recommend Wesnoth.

Edit: Wesnoth is also free.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If im driving I take the deck. If it’s a flight it’s always the switch

you two timing monster

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Upsidads posted:

I took a flight and looked at how much poo poo and space it takes for a deck v a switch
Brought the switch

Didn't you buy an Ally instead of a Deck? So how would you know?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:whatup:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Deck goes on every flight I do, it's easy

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Switch Balatro doesn't let you quit, that's how they get you

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Urgh the slick plastic tops of the OLED sticks suck. They nailed it first time, why change that part?

Anyone know any decent rubber caps to put on them?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

tuyop posted:

Would you buy Balatro on deck or switch?

Someone was just sayin' that the Switch version of Balatro has the best use of rumble of any Switch game.

Though phone seems like the ideal platform.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The rumble in switch balatro is amazing. You can feel every single card when they’re stacking. It’s so good. I have 90 hours on it now on switch and like 30 on deck 🥵🥵🥵🥵

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Super No Vacancy posted:

why would you buy anything for switch that's on deck unless it's like one of the two games that have nintendo exclusive dlc like necrodancer
There's a handful of games that are unsupported or even "playable" on the Deck that actually have better Switch ports. Some of these games just have dire PC ports, but others have Proton compatibility issues that may or may not be fixed.

Some PC games have always-online DRM that are waived on their Switch ports, so you can play them on an airplane.

In general I think Switch couch multiplayer is a much more seamless experience across the board.

Otherwise I think you're right. I'm probably 4/5 for purchasing on Steam (Deck) vs. Switch for titles that are released on both these days.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

QOP would you just marry your fuckin switch and get it over with

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The rumble in switch balatro is amazing. You can feel every single card when they’re stacking.

oh my god

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
you know why they call them joy cons right

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Squiggle posted:

QOP would you just marry your fuckin switch and get it over with

I’m never marrying

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Lost a fortune to his first console

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I couldn’t believe it the first time I played it tbh. I was like “holy poo poo, the joycons can do this??” I can’t even describe it. It doesn’t feel like normal rumble at all, it feels like … sharper? Like they’re small cards? It’s wild

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The best thing about a steam deck is going "man this control is annoying, who the gently caress uses this button for that?" and then hitting the steam menu and fixing that poo poo to your liking.

speaking of control poo poo, i picked up the Hatsune Miku pack for Necrodancer and the 8-way movement is loving me up

I can't get the dpad to register diagonals for movement, which is maybe just how it is physically

Stick though... it's okay, but diagonal movement frequently seems to register as a diagonal-then-cardinal, which counts as a miss and fucks things up real bad. Is there a way to make the stick a lot more picky about how it registers cardinals and diagonals? Or do I have to somehow get my :btroll: goon ham thumbs to just be a lot more precise

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

What about the back four flappy paddles as diagonals?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I just went on an airplane. I took my switch and deck. v:v:v

I didn't play my switch once as it was mostly there for the kids.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

parasyte posted:

speaking of control poo poo, i picked up the Hatsune Miku pack for Necrodancer and the 8-way movement is loving me up

I can't get the dpad to register diagonals for movement, which is maybe just how it is physically

Stick though... it's okay, but diagonal movement frequently seems to register as a diagonal-then-cardinal, which counts as a miss and fucks things up real bad. Is there a way to make the stick a lot more picky about how it registers cardinals and diagonals? Or do I have to somehow get my :btroll: goon ham thumbs to just be a lot more precise
I know with a lot of the more "traditional" Roguelikes (as in "games that actually play like Rogue" and not just "games with procedurally generated content") on consoles there's a button you can hold to fix yourself in place or lock yourself to only diagonal movement. Looks like Necrodancer has built-in controller support so they might have something like that built into the controls for the game. If not, you could try setting one of the trackpads up as a number pad menu that only activates the directional when you click the touchpad?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Quixzlizx posted:

Didn't you buy an Ally instead of a Deck? So how would you know?

Yes and mostly same issues, crazy I know

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I've flown with the deck plenty and never had any issue. The case is a bit bulky but not so bad you can't drop it in a carry on just fine, and frankly I like that it's a bit bulky and better protected because carry on poo poo gets banged around. Battery life is fine for a flight, doubly so since most airlines have outlets built into the seat these days. Even if you're flying some super budget airline that doesn't, the battery life is solidly good enough as long as you're not on an 8 hour flight and trying to play some AAA game the whole way through.

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord

I couldn’t believe it the first time I played it tbh. I was like “holy poo poo, the joycons can do this??” I can’t even describe it. It doesn’t feel like normal rumble at all, it feels like … sharper? Like they’re small cards? It’s wild

The HD Rumble on Switch is similar to the effect of the DualSense haptics on PS5 (I think the tech was even developed by the same company) and it’s one of the few things I desperately miss on Steam Deck.

I might have to buy Balatro again on Switch just to feel that extra rumble dopamine, but I’m trying to hold out for possible haptics on the iOS version. Also kind of weird/surprising that the PS5 version doesn’t make use of the haptics despite the great implementation on Switch.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I was trying to get Rise of Legends running on the Deck, but I'm running into some issues.

For one, it's ancient, so there's no ProtonDB ratings.

Second, the only version that works on modern systems at all is the last print run that shipped on a DVD, so I'm having to mount an ISO on the Deck's filesystem.

Anyway, I mounted the ISO, and added the installer as a non-steam game. I ran the installer through ProtonTricks with the latest GE build. This gets the installer to run, but once I actually click install, the bar shoots immediately to the right but then just sits there. The installer doesn't appear to be frozen/crashed, it's just sitting.

I'm not sure if this is a problem I can even fix, or how to discover what the problem is. My knowledge of Linux is rudimentary to begin with.

Any suggestions of things to try?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So is it actually possible to install Linux programs on the Deck? Every time I try it asks me what to launch them with and I immediately give up and download the Windows version.

Also how are you meant to install an installer if you don't have an installer to install things with?

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So is it actually possible to install Linux programs on the Deck? Every time I try it asks me what to launch them with and I immediately give up and download the Windows version.

Also how are you meant to install an installer if you don't have an installer to install things with?

What are you trying to install specifically? Most of the time on Linux you install stuff using a built-in package manager. Think App Store but made like a decade before the iPhone existed.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Because of the way Valve implemented updates, there are some consequences depending on how you install the thing.

“Flatpak” is the best way to install stuff, you find these in the Discover app in desktop. They have a little flatpak icon in the listing. These are installed permanently and persist through updates.

Otherwise, you can install the Arch Linux package with some caveats, mainly that you’ll have to reinstall when an update comes through. Here’s some details. https://steamdecktips.com/blog/install-archlinux-packages-on-the-steam-deck

This is complicated by “AppImages”, which are self-contained executable programs like “portable” programs in Windows. They live in your user folder and should persist through updates. When you download an appimage, you can run it by making the file executable, or “install” it with a program called AppImageLauncher, which is what I believe the deck tries to use by default. Selecting this option on double-click is the way to go.

So, if you want a program:

Search Discover for a flatpak; if no flatpak,

Try to find an appimage, usually on the software’s website; if no appimage,

Install the Arch Linux package; if no package,

Compile the relevant release yourself from the developer’s page per their instructions.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Playing Live A Live for the second time. First time was on Switch. Now on my OLED Steam Deck. 90fps. Was my favorite RPG of 2022. I forgot how hype Megalomania was.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hello can anyone reccomend the best train simulator on the deck? Train Sim Classic is good but ive played it to hell on PC already, im looking at Railroader and Derail Valley, anyone know how those are on deck? or open to other suggestions!

im largely more concerned with how the games control, dont care too much about ultra realistic graphics, as long as it runs at 30FPS and doesnt make your eyes bleed im happy

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Kvlt! posted:

Hello can anyone reccomend the best train simulator on the deck? Train Sim Classic is good but ive played it to hell on PC already, im looking at Railroader and Derail Valley, anyone know how those are on deck? or open to other suggestions!

im largely more concerned with how the games control, dont care too much about ultra realistic graphics, as long as it runs at 30FPS and doesnt make your eyes bleed im happy

It's Derail Valley, Deck or otherwise. While it's not perfect on the Deck (requires configuring specific control actions), it works well enough up to even 45 fps when locked.

Some useful info from someone in the Steam forums:

Alucard posted:

you will need to bind the CTRL and ALT keys to the back paddles, as they are not mapped for some reason by default?

Graphic settings I use are

----Screen Resolution: 1280x800
----Detail Level: Normal
----Vegetation: Very Low
----Anisotropic Filtering: Normal
----Render Path: Forward
----Shadow Quality: Medium
----Shadow Distance: 100
----Anti Aliasing: X2
----V-Sync: Yes
----SSAO: NO
----Post Processing: NO
----Real Time Reflections: NO

With the above setup you can expect a 11-15Wh power draw, allowing for generous amount of playtime

Note:
Because the mapped controls are emulating Mouse and Keyboard, the on-screen button prompts will all be about Mouse and Keyboard.... so it gets a little confusing.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

Urgh the slick plastic tops of the OLED sticks suck. They nailed it first time, why change that part?

Anyone know any decent rubber caps to put on them?

I use the caps from dbrand, I have had little issue with them.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

It's Derail Valley, Deck or otherwise. While it's not perfect on the Deck (requires configuring specific control actions), it works well enough up to even 45 fps when locked.

Some useful info from someone in the Steam forums:

Thank you for this!! I keep hearing great things about this so I think I'm going to pull the trigger (and thank you for the setup help, I'm terrible at configuration so this is a big help)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Apologies for the double post, but is it normal for my Steam Deck to have better performance/higher FPS when im playing it while its charging? Im playing a lot of American Truck Simulator and when I plug it in the FPS goes up (it just does it instantly im not tweaking the settings or anything)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's how the Switch works, it underclocks the processor more when it isn't docked.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I don’t think that’s normal

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

hmm conflicting info but if its not normal does anyone know what could be wrong or how to fix it? Its an OLED one ive had it less than a week

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It shouldn't be happening but I don't know if it's something I'd worry about unless there's something worrying in the temps.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

njsykora posted:

It shouldn't be happening but I don't know if it's something I'd worry about unless there's something worrying in the temps.

how do i check the temps?

i do have a fan on it that came with the case i ordered, i wonder if that could be the culprit?

thank you for the help everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

If you've set a TDP limit at any point this will limit how much power the APU can draw from the battery and so limit its performance. This doesn't apply when plugged in so you'll see a boost as a result.