Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Stux posted:

sets should stay dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I had an idea way back that sets should be at the rare tier. Like, there's a lot of them and say the 6-set bonus has just as much of a stat budget as the 2-set or 4-set bonus so you feel like you can mix and match.

And then unique+ items are never sets, but they have an effect/stat budget that makes it worthwhile to break your sets for.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sets are fine but they should be like 2-3 pieces instead of six. Codex, especially new codex, is too cool to dumpster with full suits of green.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

D2 sets but not D3 sets

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Bring back Paladins

That’s right

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
How about a set... but it's not the gear. Like it's another layer you put on top. Also it doesn't do 10,000% more damage it just does something neat. Like a horizontal change to your gameplay.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Bisse posted:

That is a problem with barbs but the bigger problem with barbs is their shouts. Basically every single top barb build ever runs three shouts and Wrath of the Berserker. This lets them focus completely on one skill, and then passively buff it with damage, resource generation, crazy dmg reduction, and more of alloftheabove with berserking. Also most builds interact with shouts somehow, like shouts reduce cooldowns, shouts fix all your fury issues, shouts spawn more dust devils, etc.

If you wanna nerf barbs, nerf their shouts. It's the least interesting part of their identity and the most consistently snowbally one. With worse shouts and interactions it would balance out with the two extra weapons.

shouts weren't that useful in S3. you could use them, but mainly only did because they lowered the CD of the skill your build was focused on via the Marshal glyph (and because they had self-reinforcing CD reduction via that one rare ring glyph). the effect of the shout was entirely inconsequential

WotB was and is overpowered because it's dead simple to keep berserking up at all times and so you effectively have an ultimate skill @ 100% uptime with no cooldown or gameplay change

also there are very few non functional barb skills/glyphs/nodes which is a huge step up from every other class having a handful of trap choices at every turn

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
trap choices ftw

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I liked the +1000000 dmg to x sill sets but there should be some alternatives

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
plus a billion damage to specific skill sets are lazy, dumb and boring. make the skills do something different that allows them to scale in a new way

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Hey yall i stopped playing right after s2 release cause the game was sucking v bad. Is s4 lookin up? I read the last few pages and folx seem civil and not actively angry at the game orrr?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

OxMan posted:

Hey yall i stopped playing right after s2 release cause the game was sucking v bad. Is s4 lookin up? I read the last few pages and folx seem civil and not actively angry at the game orrr?

I wouldn't expect anything revolutionary.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
game has been generally getting the rough spots smoothed out. it's getting better, S4 is probably going to be even better because of the changes on the PTR

but if you didn't like the gameplay loop before, you probably won't now. it's getting slightly deeper, but

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

SHISHKABOB posted:

How about a set... but it's not the gear. Like it's another layer you put on top. Also it doesn't do 10,000% more damage it just does something neat. Like a horizontal change to your gameplay.
Like set gems?

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

OxMan posted:

It's slightly improved but still a couple seasons and an expansion from being what they want it to be.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!

OxMan posted:

was always good. cheers.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

OxMan posted:

no one is angry at the game because no one is currently playing s3. s4 looks like an improvement tho so either play that or at least check back once that has started

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
did it get good yet?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m playing S3 and having fun

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I’m playing S3 and having fun

same, game still has problems but is moving in the right direction. Season 4 looks good. Blizzard is addressing the main issues I have with each season, just a little bit at a time, and fine tuning the balancing to continue to be more fun.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Yeah every season has got me progressively closer to 100 before I got bored

I think I bailed out of season 3 at 90 so season 4 could be the one

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

OxMan posted:

S4 looking up for sure, but. Depends on what you didn’t like about it but, let’s say, the campaign is basically the same, the gameplay is the same but slightly better overall, the buold balance is much better (no more HotA oneshots, ball sorc poo poo etc, still many op builds tho but nowhere near the same level of crazy), the items and crafting is much better, and the end game is much much better and actually fun and filled with stuff to do.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 7, 2024

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

If you played until 90 and then got bored you had about 30h of fun game time, it is completely fine to get bored and dodge out.

That said there is more to do at that level now so i’d say give it a shot.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Anyway i’m done with the PTR for this time, it was fun, before mic dropping just wanna say whoever did the Blood Maiden fight knocked it outta the park. What if Uber Lilith but fun and good and challenging in the right ways and also in the open world with randoms popping in to get nuked? *bison yes yes gif*

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Tonetta posted:

plus a billion damage to specific skill sets are lazy, dumb and boring. make the skills do something different that allows them to scale in a new way

Oh I agree, I like messing around with janky rear end weird builds and trying to make them work but sometimes I just want something to steamroll a bunch of monsters with minimal effort. Variety is good.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Some sort of sets functionality would be good, like ”50% bonus this affix if you have 3 or more of it”, but needing 6 specific pieces of gear just means either you play exactly this build or you do not.

Speaking of which, uniques are pretty bad in PTR because they only have 4 affixes and you cant temper them which is vital. I dont think this is a bad thing but did notice this fast.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah I would love to see a bunch of 2-3 piece sets that you could mix and match. I know there would be some kind of meta eventually but there always is with stuff like that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is a dumb renown question because Google keeps turning up all these worthless AI articles.

Once I have 2000 renown for a zone it’s essentially done right? That will unlock all the rewards and the bottom rewards will carry over to the next character?

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

MarcusSA posted:

This is a dumb renown question because Google keeps turning up all these worthless AI articles.

Once I have 2000 renown for a zone it’s essentially done right? That will unlock all the rewards and the bottom rewards will carry over to the next character?

Yeah, you're good. You'll get the first three rewards for the zone immediately, then the final two when you reach WT3 and 4 (maybe just WT3, been a while).

The side quests, dungeons, etc are repeatable on a new character but it's just for the bonus xp and gold.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

What are the fast NMDs for glyph XP this season? Besides Ghoa Ruins of course.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Wrex Ruckus posted:

What are the fast NMDs for glyph XP this season? Besides Ghoa Ruins of course.
The vaults. Usually takes 5-6 minutes per run.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Ersatz posted:

The vaults. Usually takes 5-6 minutes per run.

I thought the vaults give less glyph XP than NMDs.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Paying2Lurk posted:

Yeah, you're good. You'll get the first three rewards for the zone immediately, then the final two when you reach WT3 and 4 (maybe just WT3, been a while).

The side quests, dungeons, etc are repeatable on a new character but it's just for the bonus xp and gold.

Thanks!!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

One thing I do miss from 3 was the rune system that changed how your abilities worked. Yeah, you can get some items and aspects in this game that cause ability [x] to leave behind a trail of fire or something. In 3 you slotted a rune into a basic fireball that gave you spread shot or turned it into a channeling spell that shot tiny missile things in random direction - stuff like that. It radically changed how the ability worked. I was hoping we were getting that sort of thing from the skill tree but it mostly just ended up as spreadsheet nonsense.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Wrex Ruckus posted:

I thought the vaults give less glyph XP than NMDs.

It's the same. You can blast through cinder almost as fast as ghoa.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Bisse posted:

Speaking of which, uniques are pretty bad in PTR because they only have 4 affixes and you cant temper them which is vital. I dont think this is a bad thing but did notice this fast.
This is true, but at least uniques still have four affixes and also tend to have weird stats for their slot. There's some potential there for it to be a bit of an interesting give and take.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Mustached Demon posted:

It's the same. You can blast through cinder almost as fast as ghoa.

Huh, I don't know why I thought it was less. Vaults it is I guess!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!

Jimbot posted:

One thing I do miss from 3 was the rune system that changed how your abilities worked. Yeah, you can get some items and aspects in this game that cause ability [x] to leave behind a trail of fire or something. In 3 you slotted a rune into a basic fireball that gave you spread shot or turned it into a channeling spell that shot tiny missile things in random direction - stuff like that. It radically changed how the ability worked. I was hoping we were getting that sort of thing from the skill tree but it mostly just ended up as spreadsheet nonsense.

that stuff is back on uniques where it belongs thank god

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Having looked at the PTR and the new stats/systems I am not liking the look of the Tempering Manuals and items having such a low number of possible Tempering applications. I just dont like the idea of needing to grind/earn all the items and manuals, which will require RNG to get items you would want to apply a Manual to in the first place, but then you can get hosed by RNG not giving you the affix you want from the Manual you used so you have to start the roulette wheel over again by finding another item you like and more of the manuals just to try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Are the manuals drops or just a thing that you always have?

Tempering is the new enchanting where you can brick your item after too many failures. The point of the game is to find gear so I think you just have to have the mentality that the item you found wasn't actually good and you have to move on.

Playing LE made me realize having a 3/4 item is just fine and you can use that until you find your 4/4.