Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Party Boat posted:

If you've set a TDP limit at any point this will limit how much power the APU can draw from the battery and so limit its performance. This doesn't apply when plugged in so you'll see a boost as a result.

that makes sense thank you!! I honestly just took it out of the box, let it install all the default stuff, and so far have just been playing Truck Simulator. Havent messed with any settings or anything. Does this happen when you dont mess with the settings at all?

To be clear the performance when not plugged in is still very good, it just gets better when plugged in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1835240/Spiritfall/

-Does it succeed in being Hades? Yes. Rather than borrowing isolated aspects of a system and ending up a poor imitation, they borrowed the entire context of Hadeslike progress, allowing the whole to excel as expected.
-Does it succeed in being Smash Bros? No. No shield, no grab, no platform fighter. Hit animations and sound effects need work, and the music is such a bleak bore i turned it off completely. Why would you want "floaty" if it doesn't serve something in combat?
-Does it succeed in being Dead Cells? Eh, the controls are tighter than most games. I'd call it not ready for full release, but the low price prevents mistaking the level of their ambition.
-Good Deck game? Yeah.

also crypt of the necrodancer is on sale for three bucks
https://store.steampowered.com/app/247080/Crypt_of_the_NecroDancer/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Kvlt! posted:

how do i check the temps?

Press the 3-dot button on the right side of the Deck and find the performance overlay option, level 3 will show you the CPU and GPU temps, at max you should expect to see about 80-85C.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

njsykora posted:

Press the 3-dot button on the right side of the Deck and find the performance overlay option, level 3 will show you the CPU and GPU temps, at max you should expect to see about 80-85C.

Thank you very much!! what is an average/healthy operating temp? like if im playing for a few hours what temp range should i shoot for?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Kvlt! posted:

that makes sense thank you!! I honestly just took it out of the box, let it install all the default stuff, and so far have just been playing Truck Simulator. Havent messed with any settings or anything. Does this happen when you dont mess with the settings at all?

To be clear the performance when not plugged in is still very good, it just gets better when plugged in

I think the TDP limit should be 15W (i.e. the maximum) out of the box but my only experience is with an LCD model.

You can check the settings by pressing the quick action button (the ... one) and going to the performance tab.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Thank you very much!! what is an average/healthy operating temp? like if im playing for a few hours what temp range should i shoot for?

Like I said, 80-85C is what I'd expect to see if I'm playing something demanding that has the fan running at max.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ah ok i misunderstood i thought that was the "max temp before you start doing damage so if you see 80-85c its too hot".

Thank you everyone for the help much appreciated!!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Kvlt! posted:

Anything reaching 95-100C* is "worrying temps" and anything below is normal temps for processors under load. Basically do not worry about temps unless there's something wrong with the cooling.

*e: handhelds are probably gonna be power throttled before that point I think

Vic fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 7, 2024

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, handhelds the concern is less is this going to damage the silicon and more is this going to damage the fleshy thing holding it.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

njsykora posted:

Yeah, handhelds the concern is less is this going to damage the silicon and more is this going to damage the fleshy thing holding it.

you hold yours with your fleshy thing? I just use my hands

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They do call it nature's kickstand.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

njsykora posted:

They do call it nature's kickstand.

What sort of games are you playing to, eh, inspire that sort of endurance?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How is OG Xbox emulation on the deck these days? Specifically I’m looking to play JSRF

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Hit and miss, a lot of the earlier games will run fine but later stuff you're gonna have a bunch of issues. JSRF last time I tried still had some audio crackling which irritated me enough to stop trying but it ran fine, I think the Xemu devs finally fixed the boost dash bug as well so it doesn't drop to 5fps when you use that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ooh, jsrf of all games is one I couldn’t deal with audio crackling on.

Oh well, I guess it’s time to dig out my actual Xbox.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I keep an old xbox around just so i can play Jr Seau's Reality Football

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Jsrf was actually the first thing I played on my deck. The audio bug is definitely there and it bothered me at first, but I stopped noticing it pretty quick.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Ooh, jsrf of all games is one I couldn’t deal with audio crackling on.

Oh well, I guess it’s time to dig out my actual Xbox.

"Understand,Understand,Understand,Understand,Understand,Understand The Concept of Love"

I have a 1TB soft modded XBox connected to an ancient 19" CRT, so the picture is actually pretty loving awesome.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Beve Stuscemi posted:

How is OG Xbox emulation on the deck these days? Specifically I’m looking to play JSRF

Vlaphor posted:

Runs great in 2x res as well and almost runs ok at 3x, but boosting makes the framerate tank. Still, it's kind of amazing Xbox emulation has come this far, especially on the Deck.

2x Resolution with the widescreen hack applied. Gets slightly choppy when boosting, but nothing unplayable, and it runs smooth as butter at 1x

https://i.imgur.com/iZxLlY9.mp4

As for other games, hit or miss depending on the game. Stuff like Otogi, DOA3, SSX Tricky, Mechassault, Gunvalkyrie, Tao Feng, Panzer Dragoon Orta and THPS 2X are all entirely playable, but stuff like Crimson Skies is too choppy to enjoy right now. Still, up until recently, a bunch of those games on that list weren't good, so progress is being made. Hell, the JSRF framerate used to come crashing down during boosting and now it's mostly fine.

Also, that widescreen hack aint perfect, since in more enclosed areas, your character kind of vanishes, but nothing that can't be worked around.

Vlaphor fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 8, 2024

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Vlaphor posted:

As for other games, hit or miss depending on the game. Stuff like Otogi, DOA3, SSX Tricky, Mechassault, Gunvalkyrie, Tao Feng, Panzer Dragoon Orta and THPS 2X are all entirely playable, but stuff like Crimson Skies is too choppy to enjoy right now. Still, up until recently, a bunch of those games on that list weren't good, so progress is being made. Hell, the JSRF framerate used to come crashing down during boosting and now it's mostly fine.

Also, that widescreen hack aint perfect, since in more enclosed areas, your character kind of vanishes, but nothing that can't be worked around.

Also unless I've hosed up something, all FMVs display as a black screen.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

can anyone reccomend a stylus that works well with the OLED deck?

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Necrothatcher posted:

Also unless I've hosed up something, all FMVs display as a black screen.

Which game? I've been able to play all the videos just fine in JSRF.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Vlaphor posted:

Tested Panzer Dragoon Orta, Dead or Alive 3 and Ninja Gaiden and all FMVs displayed as a black screen in XEMU.

Research seems to indicate it's an emulator-wide issue with .bik files.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Can confirm, Burnout 3 won't load properly, likely due to the same issue. I can hear it, but I can't get past it.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Necrothatcher posted:

Tested Panzer Dragoon Orta, Dead or Alive 3 and Ninja Gaiden and all FMVs displayed as a black screen in XEMU.

Research seems to indicate it's an emulator-wide issue with .bik files.

Just did a quick run through of DOA3 (that Omega fight still loving sucks and the FPS just tanks during it) and yeah, I didn't get a cutscene. Emu still needs some work, but being able to play these games on the go is great.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

are you running under Proton GE?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Vlaphor posted:

You probably have Proton-GE (laudatory) which includes more codecs.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

You probably have Proton-GE (laudatory) which includes more codecs.

I didn't, and I just tried setting Xemu to use Proton-GE with no changes to the videos. I wonder if JSRFs videos are all done in engine.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well, I’m all out of ideas!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Vlaphor posted:

I didn't, and I just tried setting Xemu to use Proton-GE with no changes to the videos. I wonder if JSRFs videos are all done in engine.

They are as far as I know, hence why the style and graphical quality are so consistent throughout the game.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Any good settings guide for RDR 2?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

Any good settings guide for RDR 2?

This guy is pretty good overall

https://youtu.be/JLQhrJgp_g4?si=olRVZIlEIYnlfJQx

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My boy.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My Deck’s battery drained to zero when I left it asleep for two months. Charged it but it got stuck on “Validating installation,” tried a thousand different things based on Google searches and ended up having to do a factory reset. This was reaaaaally annoying.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah. This guy does a good job, too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7Bs0WejJVA

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

What's current state of the art for streaming HDR from Win11 to the Deck using Sunshine/Moonlight? I use the latter with MoonDeckBuddy and it works great.

I see 2 options mentioned: a virtual display driver and getting a dongle to do much the same thing. Is one preferable?

Does HDR streaming work well with the OLED these days? Thinking of streaming Witcher 3 + mods with ray tracing/HDR.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’ve only tested it with CP2077, but I use the virtual display driver and it looked great. I had some annoyance/confusion getting some start/stop scripts figured out so that I didn’t get it washed out for non-HDR games, but apparently that’s supposed to work automatically—so probably I hosed it up

(I found a handful of Powershell scripts ChatGPT-generated and put on GitHub by some dude, and they were…ok.)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

v1ld posted:

What's current state of the art for streaming HDR from Win11 to the Deck using Sunshine/Moonlight? I use the latter with MoonDeckBuddy and it works great.

I see 2 options mentioned: a virtual display driver and getting a dongle to do much the same thing. Is one preferable?

Does HDR streaming work well with the OLED these days? Thinking of streaming Witcher 3 + mods with ray tracing/HDR.

Skip the dongle. Just set these up:

1. Virtual Display Driver. Sets up a virtual monitor (HDR capable).

2. Nonary Tools. A collection of tools. Primarily you’ll want 3 of them: MonitorSwapAutomation (swaps to the virtual monitor when you connect), ResolutionAutomation (automatically swaps the virtual monitor to the moonlight client’s listed resolution. Has the option to override host resolution for supersampling), and AutoHDRSwitch (handles HDR on/off depending on client needs).

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

E: ^^^ Thanks! The tools link is especially useful. Cheers.

Subjunctive posted:

I’ve only tested it with CP2077, but I use the virtual display driver and it looked great. I had some annoyance/confusion getting some start/stop scripts figured out so that I didn’t get it washed out for non-HDR games, but apparently that’s supposed to work automatically—so probably I hosed it up

(I found a handful of Powershell scripts ChatGPT-generated and put on GitHub by some dude, and they were…ok.)

The VDD approach is attractive, having one less dongle is good. I'll give that a shot. Anything special to know on the Sunshine/Moonlight front? I assume HDR support is in the main releases by now.

Hadn't streamed in a bit - months - and it all Just Worked once I updated Moonlight/Sunshine on the source PC. That was nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

2. Nonary Tools. A collection of tools.

These are the ones I worked with. Had a problem with Moonlight timing out because my real HDR display takes like 5 seconds to toggle HDR, but the VDD made that go away.

If you’re a programmer, don’t look inside the scripts more than you absolutely must. They are crazy stuff from the bowels of ChatGPT.

v1ld posted:

Anything special to know on the Sunshine/Moonlight front? I assume HDR support is in the main releases by now.

I had to install a beta on one side, but I forget which. That was a while ago though so it might be all sorted now.