Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Lt. Lizard posted:

Swamp biomes are neat and offer unique challenge, but they basically disable world map travel, which is usually a bit too much of a downside for me (same with Jungle). Every once in the while I find a nice spot right at the edge of the swamp, but usually I don't bother and go for Boreal Forest or Tundra.

Pros:
poo poo fuckton of wood for construction (including bridges) or fuel, especially in warm zones
high likelyhood of rich soil
invaders may get literally bogged down, easy pickings
can trivially dispose of rottable, non-polluting items by huckin' em down some boghole

Cons:
poo poo fuckton of wood for flammable structures
poo poo fuckton of trees on the map that may burn
may get ultra malaria, not a joke
your guys may get literally bogged down, pain in the rear end

For world travel: if you don't have other ways you have launch kits. If you can get to launch pods and secure a good source of components and have someone skilled in construction, you can bring enough resources to build a return launcher and enough pods to escape home. Fiddly, but it works. I started to mess with this from my first serious run, but got it nailed down starting with my dumb global warming runs b/c sometimes even animals can't make it going on foot, and it can take several years to make it to the point you can begin traveling normally.

The use of bridges as flooring can be slow if you have crap construction guys, but it also can be super useful to have the flexibility & you're willing to just embrace the fact that the whole place can get roasted or punched open, compared to me usually building literally stone everything all the time every time like a dwarf.

--

as far as my new update test run, just by reading schematics i now have autodoors, which is cool. Dunno what to do with this book, other than sell it if anyone ever shows up again. We've got sufficient food by hunting capybara that we should be good, and luckily by event we've got plenty of uh food for the pet fox. This event also led to one of our best chars losing a leg, some dweeb led a squad of four pirates in and her leg got destroyed, but surgery was successful.

Still have not cracked the ancient danger, I think we'll probably wait until this lockerfull of frozen corpses is empty and we need more petfood. I think we may have made it through the hottest part of the year now, or at least animals are starting to return again. Luckily we had enough alpacas, without those we'd have been in real deep poo poo. We also had the fallback of a self-tamed cassowary just in case it got to that, but it never came so close. Alpacas are basically a main source of food and textiles except for the few cases that need explicitly cloth or cotton or w/e -- they give camelhide which is pretty decent for heat.

Next goals are getting a more stable food source, getting loving batteries, and getting a stable source of meds. That and making sure we have decent security. We're going to need to scoop another steel vein or really start breaking down ruins or something. Either that or some alternate spikes that aren't steel. Those steel ones were a lifesaver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Lt. Lizard posted:

Swamp biomes are neat and offer unique challenge, but they basically disable world map travel, which is usually a bit too much of a downside for me (same with Jungle). Every once in the while I find a nice spot right at the edge of the swamp, but usually I don't bother and go for Boreal Forest or Tundra.

even in the best terrain world travel is pretty awful, and once you get into pod launcher/farskip you never run another caravan anyway (at least I don't)

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Pros:
poo poo fuckton of wood for construction (including bridges) or fuel, especially in warm zones

another big plus of this is infinite art material that works fast and is low effort to harvest

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah that shouldn't be ignored. Usually I end up relying on everything being smoothed and tiled, huge main rooms, having flowers and crap like that, but if you're having to rely on wood, you're going to want art. It almost fixes itself having wood art, and if you end up with marble boulders floating around once you get really good you can slam out some good ones (i think(?) marble has a multiplier instead of a flat +). And if you have art people will stand around and appreciate it as recreation.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caravans are still really good with pack animals and mountable animals. If I can hit an ancient complex, a raid or two, and someplace to trade, then I am probably going to farskip home with a huge amount of steel, components, and other useful stuff. It's an insanely good return on investment usually

I really only drop pod for single-point engagements, if I have multiple things to do then we're caravaning out.

Also, caravan loading honestly feels less likely to break or gently caress up than drop pod loading, and that's really saying something

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

What's the current status on Vanilla Expanded stuff? hopefully they'll have nutrient paste and gas out in time for 1.5

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A lot of it is already updated, check whatever specific part you're thinking about.

1.5: Did you know you can link shelves before they're finished constructing? Nice change. Also they don't have quality any more (no more billions of wealth just making high quality shelves)

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

even in the best terrain world travel is pretty awful, and once you get into pod launcher/farskip you never run another caravan anyway (at least I don't)

I legit feel antsy if I don't have a caravan in progress, or I don't plan one, or I am not recovering from one. I use Caravans and Vehicles to make world travel easier, but I don't have any other mod that directly affects it and even in the first year when I don't have anything else than the legs of my colonist I do anywhere between 3-10 world map trips per quadrum. Either to close events, or to check nearby towns, or to setup a temporary camp and quickly hunt animals(or tame them)/harvest fruits and wood if I am starting in tundra or desert (or mechanoid intrusion from Alpha Biomes) because in those biomes you run into wood and animal scarcity almost immediately. In something like desert or tundra you can cover a pretty huge area within 2 days of travel time (which is what I consider a golden zone, where I go to world map events simply because they are there), but in swamp or jungle 2 days of travel is like 4-5 tiles so you cover jack squat.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

A lot of it is already updated, check whatever specific part you're thinking about.

1.5: Did you know you can link shelves before they're finished constructing? Nice change. Also they don't have quality any more (no more billions of wealth just making high quality shelves)

I'm pretty sure you could always link shelves under construction. Them having no quality seems new and good though.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

babydonthurtme posted:

I'm pretty sure you could always link shelves under construction. Them having no quality seems new and good though.

That does seem to be the case!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

I legit feel antsy if I don't have a caravan in progress, or I don't plan one, or I am not recovering from one. I use Caravans and Vehicles to make world travel easier, but I don't have any other mod that directly affects it and even in the first year when I don't have anything else than the legs of my colonist I do anywhere between 3-10 world map trips per quadrum. Either to close events, or to check nearby towns, or to setup a temporary camp and quickly hunt animals(or tame them)/harvest fruits and wood if I am starting in tundra or desert (or mechanoid intrusion from Alpha Biomes) because in those biomes you run into wood and animal scarcity almost immediately. In something like desert or tundra you can cover a pretty huge area within 2 days of travel time (which is what I consider a golden zone, where I go to world map events simply because they are there), but in swamp or jungle 2 days of travel is like 4-5 tiles so you cover jack squat.

My opinion is somewhat skewed on a lot of things because I arbitrarily limit my population growth (I disable Colonist Joins e.g. and various other self-imposed limits) so I have a very hard time doing caravans for a few years unless I have a very good reason. I'm also not shy about deleting bullshit hostile sites that pop when I have four people wielding crafting spot knives, no thanks I won't be assaulting the mech cluster heatwave machine that's ok :jerkbag:

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

LonsomeSon posted:

I like a Boreal Forest unless I’m planning to do some serious ranching (if you start Undergrounder, or reform into it for your first pick, you can support a modest pack-animal herd over winter once you dig out a silly amount of cave space). Worst comes to worst for the cold winters, there’s a fuckton of wood on the map to just burn. The sprinklers from Dub’s find their actual use here: if you put them out on a long-grow tile you’re going to be swimming in a game-warping amount of corn and drugs.

I’ve got a mod which makes tree sprites get snowy in the right weather, makes the whole biome feel very charming (even when predators are down to trying to hunt pawns on lumberjack duty).
People singing the praises of boreal forest makes it tempting, especially with a mod to add to the snowy weather. I was hoping to do quite a lot of ranching on this one though so I might save boreal forest for the one after. That forest isn't going anywhere! Still time to decide.

Speaking of ranching, I should probably look into the mod that gives numbers about the amount of meat and leather animals give so I can figure out which dinosaurs I want to keep herds of before I feed them all to T-Rexes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Why couldn't you do ranching in Boreal Forest, just grow a bunch of haygrass in the warm season. Boreal has the widest and best selection of animal spawns if you want to do this, deer and caribou and muffalo and wolves. You don't have wild boomalopes but you can trade for those (or as mentioned you might caravan somewhere and tame some)

E: pretty sure meat and leather values are shown on Animals and Wildlife tabs in vanilla along with other data

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

My opinion is somewhat skewed on a lot of things because I arbitrarily limit my population growth (I disable Colonist Joins e.g. and various other self-imposed limits) so I have a very hard time doing caravans for a few years unless I have a very good reason. I'm also not shy about deleting bullshit hostile sites that pop when I have four people wielding crafting spot knives, no thanks I won't be assaulting the mech cluster heatwave machine that's ok :jerkbag:

Yeah, my sweet spot is between 10-20 colonists, so my population usually quickly balloons during the first years. And if you have 10 colonists, having 4 of them near-permanently away still gives you enough population for all tasks in colony, including defense. Having only 5-6 colonists would be a different matter, in those cases I usually only trade (settling within 1 day travel of friendly settlement, so that you don't have to rely on trade caravans is IMHO always worth it) until my population increases. Or until there is some extremely tantalizing event nearby. :v:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah something like this is what it takes to get me to leave the nest on foot

re: caravans, really annoying how my night owl/daylight hating people revert to dumbass daytime behavior the second they get off the colony map, and they also don't use their psychite consumables while traveling even though their policy allows it and they have plenty of it. I should look around for a mod that fixes that maybe.

e: nope, no mod for this, I reported both of those on the discord, hopefully ludeon will fix them during this dev cycle

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 7, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

I wish it actually worked that way mechanically (your guys suck with firearms unless you have some tech threshold)

well hello there :heysexy:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3212648847

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm also not shy about deleting bullshit hostile sites that pop when I have four people wielding crafting spot knives, no thanks I won't be assaulting the mech cluster heatwave machine that's ok :jerkbag:

I don't know if this is intended or not, or if you know this, but it really seems like 90% of the time when you show up at one of those places, the mechs are all asleep, on a proximity activator, that for some reason doesn't include the door to the building with the machine in it, or the machine. So you just walk to the door (sometimes on a circuitous route, sure), blow up the machine, and walk off, leaving the mechs all asleep. Victory?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
stealth mission :ninja:

e: i've done missions that were like "rescue some dumbass that got captured by a pack of assholes" and it was a loving cave/prison base thing covered by like 4 turrets, so we ran around the other way, used breach axes or whatever to slam thru 2-3 tiles, bust the prisoner loose before the guards realized, and then rocket pod out like complete lunatics. No shots fired lol get hosed

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 7, 2024

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Flesh Forge posted:

Why couldn't you do ranching in Boreal Forest, just grow a bunch of haygrass in the warm season. Boreal has the widest and best selection of animal spawns if you want to do this, deer and caribou and muffalo and wolves. You don't have wild boomalopes but you can trade for those (or as mentioned you might caravan somewhere and tame some)

E: pretty sure meat and leather values are shown on Animals and Wildlife tabs in vanilla along with other data

When I say Serious Ranching I mean more than just pack animals and whatever predators self-tamed and got trained to fight, I mean enough livestock for it to be a questionable decision from a system resources perspective.

You can do enough ranching in the boreal forest to have pack animals and a little muffalo wool on the side, without too much difficulty.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Bread Enthusiast posted:

I don't know if this is intended or not, or if you know this, but it really seems like 90% of the time when you show up at one of those places, the mechs are all asleep, on a proximity activator, that for some reason doesn't include the door to the building with the machine in it, or the machine. So you just walk to the door (sometimes on a circuitous route, sure), blow up the machine, and walk off, leaving the mechs all asleep. Victory?

You don't even need the door, just walk around back and knock the wall down!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Simple Sidearms is great for that scenario because everyone except brawlers can be carrying a string of grenades, the Rim’s version of the Key to the City.

Ancient complexes are easier to fight fires in when you’ve blasted the whole thing open to the outside, so heat doesn’t build up to dangerous levels.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug

Bread Enthusiast posted:

Yeah you can even take any unstable power cells with you, which work great in conjunction with IEDs.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

LonsomeSon posted:

When I say Serious Ranching I mean more than just pack animals and whatever predators self-tamed and got trained to fight, I mean enough livestock for it to be a questionable decision from a system resources perspective.

You can do enough ranching in the boreal forest to have pack animals and a little muffalo wool on the side, without too much difficulty.

Flesh Forge posted:

With my plan being to do a prehistoric run I want to ranch some big dinosaurs and get a little bit crazy with it. I suppose there's no immediate rush for that though and I can start small until I build up to sun lamps for as much food as I need year round. I can also feed raiders to my carnivore dinosaurs so I'm sure it will all work out. If it doesn't it can make for a fun collapse of getting eaten by my own pets.

I am going to miss cool dusters rather than lame parkas though.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Redundant posted:

With my plan being to do a prehistoric run I want to ranch some big dinosaurs and get a little bit crazy with it. I suppose there's no immediate rush for that though and I can start small until I build up to sun lamps for as much food as I need year round. I can also feed raiders to my carnivore dinosaurs so I'm sure it will all work out. If it doesn't it can make for a fun collapse of getting eaten by my own pets.

Use the Big & Small gene mode and make your people immune to cold and heat, then you can dress them however you want!

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Flesh Forge posted:

1.5: Did you know you can link shelves

No. No I did not.
7,000+ hours played :negative:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Redundant posted:

Proto feather tuques can provide a ton of cold resist. Troodons are great small dino haulers while Gallimumus are fantastic pack animals though harder to get... both eat corpses.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I kinda apologize for the constant advertisements/suggestion of the mod, but the animal genetics mod really makes the whole ranching thing more fun and immersive.

You can breed a set of pack animals with heigher capacity and speed, and also breed another set of the same species for meat/leather purposes.

It's neat and adds a layer beyond the whole managing animal food stuff.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I'm glad to see more people singing the praises of Yellowknife as the ideal rimworld locale.

Because it is.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

Telsa Cola posted:

I kinda apologize for the constant advertisements/suggestion of the mod, but the animal genetics mod really makes the whole ranching thing more fun and immersive.

You can breed a set of pack animals with heigher capacity and speed, and also breed another set of the same species for meat/leather purposes.

It's neat and adds a layer beyond the whole managing animal food stuff.
Is this Vanilla Genetics Expanded or Animal Genetics? Just curious, because the former seems more techy and focused on creating hybrid animals than just breeding a type of animal for different purposes.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

babydonthurtme posted:

Is this Vanilla Genetics Expanded or Animal Genetics? Just curious, because the former seems more techy and focused on creating hybrid animals than just breeding a type of animal for different purposes.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2830943477

It's pretty non-intrusive overall and basically gives you another tab that lets you track animal genetics.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

boneration posted:

No. No I did not.

:allears:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

boneration posted:

No. No I did not.

You don't need to feel too bad, linking storage groups was added in 1.4 so it wouldn't have existed for most of that play time!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

isndl posted:

You don't need to feel too bad, linking storage groups was added in 1.4 so it wouldn't have existed for most of that play time!

Also I don’t think it’s a hot take to say RimWorlds interface is not very good.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah probably not in any objective sense but I keep mentally comparing it to dwarf fortress and it's a smooth and intuitive UI there in comparison

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

isndl posted:

I, on the other hand :nallears:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Asimo posted:

Yeah probably not in any objective sense but I keep mentally comparing it to dwarf fortress and it's a smooth and intuitive UI there in comparison

One of the major selling points for Rimworld for a long time was "it's similar to dwarf fortress except you don't need to take a 101-level community college course to parse the UI and controls".

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Giving up on Alpha Animals/Alpha Biomes, a lot of great art but a lot of not-so-great ideas and execution :shrug: way too much poo poo feels at odds with the vanilla content. Most of the modded plants have no skill check or labor cost to plant. A lot of the modded animals are just annoying (the last straw was a huge swarm of like 30 exploding gasbag grazer creatures). Many of the animal concepts are even more heavily weighted against melee than the vanilla content, lots of things that explode and apply a DOT on death. Lots of custom materials that feel half baked (multiple kinds of wood that you can't use for fuel or a lot of crafting/construction tasks e.g.) or just glaringly at odds in tone with the vanilla content. :shrug:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
THE CUBE and some other poo poo

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I demand cross DLC content with The Cube and Ideology

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
The cloning obelisk sounds like you can use it for some shenanigans honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Lies, bird watching thread has long determined these kinds of anomalies to be unrealistic

Now if the orb had a cube in it, or possibly it were jellyfish-like in appearance, able to fly around, visually camouflaged perhaps...

But I notice none of the anomalies seem to want to mess with you very much other than rampaging. You can't really get studied in reverse? I suppose you can have someone abducted?

Speaking of that, if you have a colonist kidnapped, can you pull off a reverse raid? If you just start hitting enemy towns will you ever be able to find the missing pawn or are they abstracted out into some compressed zone? I think I've never actually attacked any village before.