Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shackleford posted:

lol i had no idea VVC was this far along? isn't it just going to be a big ol' pile of patents that no one is gonna want to voluntarily use?

it's not really, iirc the bitstream format is finalized but last time i checked there weren't many encoders that can do more than like 7-8 fps right now

but obviously at the same time that means getting a head start on a native decoder isn't a terrible idea

e: as for patents, idk. if it ends up being a considerable improvement over HEVC (or even AV1) then it'll probably be widely adopted regardless. you don't see (m)any people getting sued for using e.g. x264/5 and there's not really any reason to assume this time around will be any different

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Sapozhnik posted:

cool hey quick q how do i turn down the headphone volume on my usb-c dock then because macos goes :nono: when i attempt to move the volume slider down from the maximum, tia

no clue op

i scroll down on the volume scroller on my usb keyboard attached to the usb-c dock and my headphone volume goes down.

imma call that an equipment issue on your end

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Beeftweeter posted:

e: as for patents, idk. if it ends up being a considerable improvement over HEVC (or even AV1) then it'll probably be widely adopted regardless. you don't see (m)any people getting sued for using e.g. x264/5 and there's not really any reason to assume this time around will be any different

although x264 and x265 happened to be either the best or at the very least among the best encoders for AVC and HEVC, respectively, so maybe they just didn't go after them purely for that reason, idk. who the gently caress knows how VIA-LA will react, they're completely different from MPEG-LA in that they're run by VIA now

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fresh_cheese posted:

no clue op

i scroll down on the volume scroller on my usb keyboard attached to the usb-c dock and my headphone volume goes down.

imma call that an equipment issue on your end

its a macos issue, if you use purely digital output that isn't wrapped in a protocol that supports it, there's no volume control. not because there can't be, but because it's just not implemented

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
if youre using digital output from the mac shouldnt you be using the volume control on the last box that makes that into analog to speakers/headphones?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fresh_cheese posted:

if youre using digital output from the mac shouldnt you be using the volume control on the last box that makes that into analog to speakers/headphones?

yes, that's why there's no volume control (again: in [apple's] theory, not because it can't be implemented anyway)

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I remember lots of audio issues when I had a Macbook, including some weird case where suspending with headphones and waking without (or something like that) broke sound until the next reboot. Also macOS disabling volume controls whenever it felt it was someone else's problem. Bafflingly bad OS in many ways, really.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

i can see apples point - they were probably getting support tickets that were the result of amplifiers not responding to the mac’s digital volume control signal and decided that its easier to remove the illusion of control than get the entire amplifiers ecosystem to unfuck their poo poo

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

all os are bad os

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fresh_cheese posted:

i can see apples point - they were probably getting support tickets that were the result of amplifiers not responding to the mac’s digital volume control signal and decided that its easier to remove the illusion of control than get the entire amplifiers ecosystem to unfuck their poo poo

it is pretty easy to modify the signal to be quieter though. that's why you used to be able to do it in "audio midi setup" by changing the master volume

you could also set up a virtual device that converted it into analog and then back again (or even group analog and digital outputs together), but i think that was removed in like 10.8 (e: maybe 10.9, idr)

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 7, 2024

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

i get the impression that H.264 is still widely used for online video despite being a 20+ year old codec precisely because of the patent situation which has mostly kept HEVC out of browsers

then there are folks that use HEVC but have to license the poo poo out of it from multiple patent pools and independent patent holders

then there are the folks that use HEVC but don't license it and get sued and lose like netflix in germany

what will be hilarious is if the GPU and SoC vendors refuse to put VVC decoders in their silicon because AV1 is better or good enough and they'd rather use those transistors on AI poo poo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shackleford posted:

i get the impression that H.264 is still widely used for online video despite being a 20+ year old codec precisely because of the patent situation which has mostly kept HEVC out of browsers

then there are folks that use HEVC but have to license the poo poo out of it from multiple patent pools and independent patent holders

then there are the folks that use HEVC but don't license it and get sued and lose like netflix in germany

what will be hilarious is if the GPU and SoC vendors refuse to put VVC decoders in their silicon because AV1 is better or good enough and they'd rather use those transistors on AI poo poo

it is, but imo that's not entirely due to the patent situation

i think it's at least partially because a lot of HEVC software encoders at their fastest settings (or many hardware encoders) just aren't very efficient compared to many implementations of AVC, especially x264. it's the best quality software implementation of h.264 around, and it's extremely fast on modern hardware, even at maximum compression. so in terms of a size/quality tradeoff, it's about the same as a less-efficient HEVC implementation. kinda like how x265 is better quality and frequently faster than hardware if you're talking about encoding one stream at a time — for multiple streams, like the ones streaming sites would use, it's better to use a hw encoder, even though their output is ultimately less efficient

of course for fancier features like 8K, HDR10+ or dolby vision, HEVC is a requirement in those cases, so it'd necessarily have to be used for poo poo like that. but those files are also larger on average, unless they compromise by making it low bitrate. and even then, since most people probably don't have tvs that support the latest HDR standards (but do have phones and poo poo that do), they can probably get away with serving it at lower resolution most of the time

but more broadly, since it's so old AVC is well supported by almost everything, so it's the most compatible. if you don't really need to take advantage of HEVC's feature set (and if you're using a garbage enough HEVC encoder where AVC will offer a similar file size with the same or even better perceived quality), there's not much upside to using HEVC. so lots of streaming sites just don't bother

e: oh and AV1 is supposed to be competitive with HEVC, not VVC. if it pans out the way it's supposed to, VVC will kick the crap out of AV1. i think there will still be on-board hw implementations of both though, the trend seems to be towards separate, specialized AI chips and as you say, de/encoding is usually handled by the GPU

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 7, 2024

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i like how everyone comes in with their advice about not janitoring sound server poo poo right as i post about how it essentially fixed itself

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

wasn't the patent situation much better with H.264? like it was still patented out the rear end but there was only a single patent pool to deal with or something?

so like if the technical situation is much better with H.264 compared to H.265 that's not completely orthogonal to the patent situation. it could just have been that a lot less technical investment went into HEVC exactly because of the patent situation

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shackleford posted:

wasn't the patent situation much better with H.264? like it was still patented out the rear end but there was only a single patent pool to deal with or something?

so like if the technical situation is much better with H.264 compared to H.265 that's not completely orthogonal to the patent situation. it could just have been that a lot less technical investment went into HEVC exactly because of the patent situation

iirc they're licensed on similar terms. i think for the earlier years of HEVC's lifecycle it just wasn't well supported, and for quite a while most hardware implementations didn't even support most of the advanced features (i.e. basically hw support started off by implementing the main profile, then more and more of it, and ultimately about a decade later supporting the more advanced features) and that probably put a pretty big damper on adoption. they were both licensed by MPEG-LA before via bought it

but again, new master, new rules, i guess. it's still too early to know how via is going to deal with it i suppose, nothing i'm aware of actually uses VVC at this point (except that will change for poo poo that uses libavcodec now, i guess)

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

hbag posted:

i like how everyone comes in with their advice about not janitoring sound server poo poo right as i post about how it essentially fixed itself

You made a good choice to use a tiling window manager (but sway is better, switch when you can).

I used various tiling WMs as a teenager (ion, ratpoison, one I wrote myself in Literate Haskell, xmonad), then switched to GNOME at some point after I became older, then became older still and realised tiling WMs are just flat out better, and now I have used sway for years. It is very good and pleasant.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Athas posted:

You made a good choice to use a tiling window manager (but sway is better, switch when you can).

I used various tiling WMs as a teenager (ion, ratpoison, one I wrote myself in Literate Haskell, xmonad), then switched to GNOME at some point after I became older, then became older still and realised tiling WMs are just flat out better, and now I have used sway for years. It is very good and pleasant.

tiling is the goat

i just use pop os for it on my secondary laptop tho (cause i'm too lazy to actually work on configuring it beyond basics)

mystes
May 31, 2006

i3 and sway are good. I think the fractional scaling situation situation in sway may not be as good as kde right now though.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
AVC gets you shaken down by one mafia syndicate. not ideal but this situation has been around for decades and everybody knows how it works.
HEVC gets you shaken down by the same mafia syndicate, but also several other mafia families at the same time. unlike actual mafia they don't protect you from rival mafia coming knocking for an extra piece of the pie.

also i ask again why the gently caress is H264 still in patent, the standard is old enough to drink for christ's sake

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
tiling wms lol. sizing and positioning windows myself is just too drat hard

mystes
May 31, 2006

mycophobia posted:

that's why tiling wms are good though?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
at this point i kind of hope that gnome sacks up and turns gnome os into an actual first-class distro instead of being a CI sewage pipe that spits out whatever is on git HEAD right this moment, because the patent-avoidance bullshit IBM keeps doing to fedora is becoming unbearable.

application-wise this can be worked around by installing from flathub, but on the actual distro-provided desktop itself you still get blank thumbnails on video files encoded on a 20-year old codec because of softbank ip holding corp bullshit

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

encoding/decoding are done by dedicated hardware also, you're not spending your cuda cores or w/e on that

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

josh04 posted:

encoding/decoding are done by dedicated hardware also, you're not spending your cuda cores or w/e on that

you can though. for a long time nvidia used CUVID, which as the name implies used CUDA cores (nvidia now uses NVDEC/ENC, which afaik does not and supports a far larger range of profiles)

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

mycophobia posted:

this but unironically

i paid for all these pixels and i'm not wasting my time janitoring these windows so i can see 'em good

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

honestly i mostly just switched because i3 seems to let me customize how everything looks more than i can with gnome (at least, its easier to)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
tiling window manager yeah ok lemme just open up a man page and a text editor and write a config file for my computer's user interface like some sort of caveman

i wouldn't mind tiling wms if there was something like gnome that worked more or less ootb, but then again i seem to be the only person who thinks gnome's ootb defaults are mostly fine

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

hbag posted:

honestly i mostly just switched because i3 seems to let me customize how everything looks more than i can with gnome (at least, its easier to)

just use kde hbag goddamn. it's better than gnome and is incredibly customizable without having to touch a single config file

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

i wouldn't mind tiling wms if there was something like gnome that worked more or less ootb, but then again i seem to be the only person who thinks gnome's ootb defaults are mostly fine

yeah it would be nice if the tiling WMs weren't unix philosophy neckbeards that expect you to assemble everything from parts and figure out from first principles that you need to write exec "dbus-update-activation-environment --systemd DISPLAY WAYLAND_DISPLAY SWAYSOCK XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP" into your config file

would also be nice if the GNOME customization approach weren't, write some javascript (that we will execute slowly and shittily) and put it in our extensions store

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
OEM+right puts a window in the right half of the monitor; OEM+left puts it into the left half. OEM+up maximises it, OEM+down minimises it.

That's all the tiling I need.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

it seems my volume can go above 100%

fascinating

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
youll probably get distortion doing that. better to keep it at 100% and have something external amplifying the sound

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

CAUTION: volume levels above 100% can cause decibell pressure inversion and suck your brain out through your ears. use caution as you raise volumes beyond 90% to avoid this effect.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

hbag posted:

it seems my volume can go above 100%

fascinating

spinal tap's distro went to 1100%

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

mycophobia posted:

youll probably get distortion doing that. better to keep it at 100% and have something external amplifying the sound

no yeah im never gonna have it above 100% just because i dont want to damage the speakers or anything. just kinda funny that it lets me

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

It's for when a dumb youtuber mixed the sound for their video way too low.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

ryanrs posted:

It's for when a dumb youtuber mixed the sound for their video way too low.

that's just tempting god to send me the world's most ear-piercing notification noise out of nowhere

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

hbag posted:

notification noise

there's your problem

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

god forbid i want to know when someone mentions me on irc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Christ almighty kde lets you do tiling out of the box with super-t and you don’t need to know c# or whatever the gently caress