Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

FeculentWizardTits posted:

...you mean we're not already in a galactic war? What's the difference?

no this is a galactic policing operation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
can't believe we're about to defeat the bots forever, guess we'll all be home by liberty day after all

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Saraiguma posted:

no this is a galactic policing operation

Ah, I think you mean galactic peace keeping operation, Helldiver.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I love this game, but the best part imo is how much everyone is leaning into RPing and having fun with the game and story

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Bugs just spray their little smoke and then it’s 9 bile titans and a foggy map forever.

You should be able to stop bug breaches with a 500kg. Change my mind

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

You can, it's called "killing everything with the 500kg you just called down" aka 'Liberty Dispensed'.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Sagebrush posted:

You shouldn't be able to stop bug breaches with a 500kg. If you could it would. Stop questioning reality soldier

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

RC Cola posted:

Thank you for saying this. I have been hearing too many unsubstantiated rumors. Things about a message sent to outside the galaxy. A counter invasion of their homework. Nonsense. Do not believe these unthinking machine's lies.

gently caress up their homework dawg, get them an F

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Sagebrush posted:

drop it on the guy who is farting, op

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It's very satisfying to shoot one of those unexploded hellbombs and see 40 or 50 enemies die

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

CelticPredator posted:

I hope we don’t have to only fight bugs for a while by killing the robots because gently caress bugs they are not fun to play at all.

Did a level 7 and it SUCKED.

Bugs are actually the easier of the two factions on helldive ime. On bots I find if you make a mistake you can get trapped by patrols/alarms and just lose 15 reinforcements. Though now with the missile nerf bots are significantly easier than before.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

FeculentWizardTits posted:

...you mean we're not already in a galactic war? What's the difference?

This is a prologue. Diet war. Just one calorie. War Light.

CelticPredator posted:

I hope we don’t have to only fight bugs for a while by killing the robots because gently caress bugs they are not fun to play at all.

Did a level 7 and it SUCKED.

If you try to play either faction the same it's going to suck. There are really different strats and useful weapons against each. Once you adjust I can't really say one is more difficult than the other.

Tommy the Newt posted:

Yeah, I enjoy bugs but I seriously hope they don't allow time without bots to fight, especially as I'm supposed to be playing with my regular weekly group tonight who were excited to try bots so it would be pretty inconvenient if the narrative removes the content. I'm happy for people who dig the pseudo-emergent storyline but I still think I'd prefer to just choose my own battles as and when I want, personally.

Just FYI just to set expectations, in the previous game one faction could be defeated and disappear for up to weeks at a time.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Is there a word for the voice affectation the Democracy Officer is doing? It's like he bites off the end of every word. Maybe just "the Lance Reddick"?

"A true servant of freedom needs no companion, save for Damsel Democracy herself."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like the way that the primary weapons are balanced around sidegrades but I do wish that some of the ordnance stratagems were stronger so they'd have a place on 7 difficulty or higher. Once you get to a point where there's heavily armored enemies every ten meters a lot of the ship ordnance and eagle strikes lack the power and cooldown times to effectively deal with them the same way a 500kg or a rail cannon does.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Baiard posted:

Is there a word for the voice affectation the Democracy Officer is doing? It's like he bites off the end of every word. Maybe just "the Lance Reddick"?

"A true servant of freedom needs no companion, save for Damsel Democracy herself."

Id just call it chewing the scenery

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

AMR kills gunship engines in I think 3 shots, maybe 4. It’s always been pretty hectic when I have been doing it and hard to count that high. I saw someone complaining about gunships and AMR earlier, was that not your experience or were you shooting them in the body?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Baiard posted:

The Zapp read.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

RC Cola posted:

I love this game, but the best part imo is how much everyone is leaning into RPing and having fun with the game and story

The community manager calls this jingoism. Fun!

Baiard posted:

Democracy Dictation

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Didn’t that lady get harassed by weirdos who somehow convinced themselves that the game that’s less subtle than a Michael Moore movie was somehow apolitical

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Helldivers.io is predicting Durgen will be liberated within the hour, so if you're wanting to put the boot to the bots one last time before They Definitely Are Defeated Forever, make it quick.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

1stGear posted:

Helldivers.io is predicting Durgen will be liberated within the hour, so if you're wanting to put the boot to the bots one last time before They Definitely Are Defeated Forever, make it quick.

logged on and played for a bit this morning and realized I am incredibly tired of fighting bots

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

BitBasher posted:

Just FYI just to set expectations, in the previous game one faction could be defeated and disappear for up to weeks at a time.

gently caress. I guess at least for tonight maybe I can get my foot in the door of an operation and avoid completing it, so at least my friends can run one bot campaign before the narrative deletes content from the game I bought with money. Grumble grumble.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tommy the Newt posted:

gently caress. I guess at least for tonight maybe I can get my foot in the door of an operation and avoid completing it, so at least my friends can run one bot campaign before the narrative deletes content from the game I bought with money. Grumble grumble.

they will absolutely be returning

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Tommy the Newt posted:

If you think they're completely removing a major faction 2 months into the game where they have like a year's worth of content planned, I've got a bridge to sell you. They've said instead of multiple wars they're just going to have 1 war with a larger overarching narrative.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Over 300k players on Durgen right now, guess people must really want the bots dead.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Yeah I know they aren't permanently removing bots, it's just a question of when. I have a group of extremely busy parents who can only scrounge time to play once a week so if they're all geared up to fight bots tonight and can't that'll be kinda a bummer. I can see the upsides of the model for the terminally online or whimsical fans, but for me and my specific group I'd rather everyone had a solo map to conquer like Heat Signature and could just drop in with friends or reset whenever.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Wasn’t an issue with the galactic war in the original that if you eliminated one faction they’d just be gone for the month or two it took for things to reset, meaning the games would get a lot more less diverse

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Yeah that's what BitBasher said and is my current concern. I don't care enough about the narrative to be happy about less choice, however temporary.

They should add a custom mode that's detached from the galactic war so people could dial in missions and biomes of their choice, imo. Call it a simulator if it needs to be diegetic, like TIE Fighter.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 7, 2024

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

I like the way that the primary weapons are balanced around sidegrades but I do wish that some of the ordnance stratagems were stronger so they'd have a place on 7 difficulty or higher. Once you get to a point where there's heavily armored enemies every ten meters a lot of the ship ordnance and eagle strikes lack the power and cooldown times to effectively deal with them the same way a 500kg or a rail cannon does.

This is true for bots, but honestly for bugs eagle strats paired with anything that can stun (especially stun grenades) are a pretty solid “get out of any situation free” card. It’s part of what makes bugs easier to deal with. As long as you have room to walk backwards and drop stratagems you’ll be loving up any bug that’s not a bile titan.

Also if you aren’t running a dog backpack for bugs (either one now honestly) I found it increases survivability far more than shields packs of any kind, and if you are running eats/quasar there’s no reason NOT to bring one.

Also heavy armor owns for bots, scout armors are godly for bugs.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

some dude kicked me out of the game just as i was landing on top of a charger :mad:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Think I'm gonna switch to Quasar once the bots are done. I've been meaning to try it, but someone really needs to bring AC for Bot missions or they can get hairy real quick.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The Super Earth National Anthem is playing over my ship lmfao

it stopped moving. I think something broke?

Carteret fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 7, 2024

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

E: jfc impact font

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I think the game might be trying to process Some poo poo. Looks like even Helldivers.io has stopped updating now.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Strategic Tea posted:

E: jfc impact font

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Well done, Helldivers. War's over. Feel free to return to the cryopods and await Liberty's call once more.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Now what? Uninstall?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
God drat bugs

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Tommy the Newt posted:

Yeah, I enjoy bugs but I seriously hope they don't allow time without bots to fight, especially as I'm supposed to be playing with my regular weekly group tonight who were excited to try bots so it would be pretty inconvenient if the narrative removes the content. I'm happy for people who dig the pseudo-emergent storyline but I still think I'd prefer to just choose my own battles as and when I want, personally.

I have some bad news for you about he bots.

I mean... I have good news about the Robot Menace, citizen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Digital Jedi posted:

God drat bugs

Oh Hellmire, how I haven't missed you at all