Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

A polish guy I used to work with made Guinness vodka and it was extremely delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

That sounds loving amazing.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Smirnoff is not the cheapest but pretty cheap and it's neutral as hell. It's made from "grain." Tito's is a bit more expensive and slightly better, also super neutral. Made from corn. The only high end one I like is Circoc, made from grapes. Has a good taste.

You generally want to avoid the flavored ones, cause you can just infuse your own flavors if you're into that with far less risk of it tasting like poo poo and giving you a terrible hangover.

I used to drink about a gallon of vodka a day, so I know my vodkas.

This advice only applies to the US, I dunno the Russian vodka scene or whatever.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

on-topic repost

Data Graham posted:

I may have mentioned this before here or somewhere, and this is totally anecdotal and may not even be true, but here it is with whatever salt it requires.

A few years ago I went to a coworker's wedding, which because he's Russian was in Little Odessa in the upstairs reception room of a nice Russian restaurant in Brighton Beach. There seemed to be an unusually heavy presence of coat checkers and people to verify identites, and when I got in there I wondered just what kind of connections this guy was into because all his side of the family was these big hulking guys who all looked like they worked as bouncers. (The bride's family was all Korean.) The proceedings were very well funded and there was food of all kinds freely flowing, from sushi arrangements on ice to foie gras over puff pastry, and though the whole ceremony was literally in Russian I at least felt like there was much fun to be had.

Anyway I ended up at a table with about 7-8 of these big galoots who barely spoke English but who were determined to make my acquaintance. The table was covered with bottles of all kinds, from Hennessy to gin to rum and of course a bunch of vodka of multiple brands. But what I thought was interesting was that the guys were drinking anything and everything on the table EXCEPT the vodka. They were mostly going for the Hennessy and tequila, and after maybe the third round of shots I asked them why they weren't drinking the vodka.

"Russians do not drink vodka anymore", they told me quite seriously.

Ever since about 2000, they all firmly and solemnly agreed, all vodka has had something wrong with it somehow. "It tastes burnt," they said. I think they suggested that some of the home-market stuff is still okay, but everything made for international sale is "burnt" and unfit for consumption, at least by Russians. So it's cognac and tequila all the way for them.

I have no idea how seriously to take that information, but it sure did make an impression on me. And I wasn't about to argue with those guys.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Vodka and other spirits often have a filtration stage using activated charcoal, maybe the Russian producers switched to an inferior standard of charcoal?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Are there really tiers in vodka?

I thought it was all just distilled potato juice.

Yes. There's a wide variety of quality, plus the idea in the US (I presume elsewhere too) that vodka should be flavorless is not true in eastern Europe. I once had vodka made by a Polish guy's grandpa that was one of the best liquors I've ever had in my life. Flavorless and neutral it was not.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I developed a strong taste for hazelnut vodka when I visited a friend in Warsaw for New Years while I was in university, that stuff ruled.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Richard Nixon's Ham Mousse

quote:

It's a Pat and Richard Nixon favorite from before his presidential days and I have to say, this is definitely one of the roughest things I've ever eaten. Slimy, meaty Cool Whip. Wow. I thought it'd be French-tasting at best, bland at worst but no. No thank you.
  • ½ cup cooked ham (finely ground)
  • 1 cup tomato juice
  • 1 cup beef consommé
  • ½ teaspoon paprika
  • 4 tablespoons cold water
  • 1 envelope gelatin
  • 2 cups cream, whipped

• Salt to taste
  • Mayonnaise
  • A few of drops of lemon juice
  • A little heavy cream
  • Finely chopped chives
Mix first four ingredients and bring to a boil. Dissolve gelatin in water, add to ham mixture. Put into refrigerator to cool, stirring occasionally. When it begins to slightly congeal, fold in the whipped cream. Add salt to taste. Pour into one large mold or smaller individual molds. Let set in refrigerator until firm. Serve with mayonnaise thinned with a few drops of lemon juice and a little heavy cream, adding finely chopped chives. Serves 4 to 6.

I am not a cook! :nixon:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

That freak loved cottage cheese smothered in ketchup too

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Captain Hygiene posted:

I am not a cook! :nixon:

Lol perfect

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Whooping Crabs posted:

That freak loved cottage cheese smothered in ketchup too

what a loving nightmare. reminds me of the blood oatmeal scene in goldenchild.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

There's no way that Dick Milhouse concocted and ate this culinary abomination just to spite Jewish people everywhere but that is still easier for me to believe than that he actually liked it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

By popular demand posted:

There's no way that Dick Milhouse concocted and ate this culinary abomination just to spite Jewish people everywhere but that is still easier for me to believe than that he actually liked it.

This poo poo is why "meat and potatoes man" became a thing. Oh god not the aspic, please!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

My boys are only fed the softest, creamiest meats

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I kinda missed vodka talk but speaking personally as someone who at least used to drink vodka of a bunch of different tiers, if you're drinking it straight you can definitely notice the difference between the 'tiers' so to speak, pretty much as soon as it hits your mouth.

I feel like the best way of putting is like, when you start to catch a bit of the burn of the alcohol. In a high end one, it'll basically be like water super early in the sip and then the taste and alcohol comes through on a pretty long tail, cheaper ones you'll get it right up front full force.

Personally though, I actually really like the particular burn of the really dirt bottom varieties. Can't say I'd suggest it to anyone else but there's something to it I love.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I kinda missed vodka talk but speaking personally as someone who at least used to drink vodka of a bunch of different tiers, if you're drinking it straight you can definitely notice the difference between the 'tiers' so to speak, pretty much as soon as it hits your mouth.

I feel like the best way of putting is like, when you start to catch a bit of the burn of the alcohol. In a high end one, it'll basically be like water super early in the sip and then the taste and alcohol comes through on a pretty long tail, cheaper ones you'll get it right up front full force.

Personally though, I actually really like the particular burn of the really dirt bottom varieties. Can't say I'd suggest it to anyone else but there's something to it I love.

counterpoint, in college we did experiments with top shelf vs bottom shelf that we had run through a brita filter a few times...turns out you can really improve lovely vodka with a carbon filter.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

We tried that with a handle of "Cleveland's finest" vodka and it did not help.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

This is Richard Nixon’s last lunch in the White House. Pineapple rings with cottage cheese and a glass of milk :geno:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Did chef hate Nixon or did Nixon hate himself?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If I had a personal kitchen staff and free food I'd eat such an apocalyptically bad diet. Hello yes I would like to sample every form of fried chicken in the world this week.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Grand Fromage posted:

If I had a personal kitchen staff and free food I'd eat such an apocalyptically bad diet. Hello yes I would like to sample every form of fried chicken in the world this week.

It's not free though. The government pays for the cook, but you still have to pay for all your own food. State dinners are covered, but family dinners are not.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's not free though. The government pays for the cook, but you still have to pay for all your own food. State dinners are covered, but family dinners are not.

Huh, I just assumed that was a job perk.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Grand Fromage posted:

Huh, I just assumed that was a job perk.

It's wild that there is some bean counter whose job is mostly looking through grocery lists and figuring out what was personal and what was work-related.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

counterpoint, in college we did experiments with top shelf vs bottom shelf that we had run through a brita filter a few times...turns out you can really improve lovely vodka with a carbon filter.

Counterpoint to what? That they taste noticeably different at point of sale? Because that's all I was talking about.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Zero_Grade posted:

That sounds loving amazing.

It was soooo good. It was at work, so I only got 1 shot but as I remember it, it was as strong as any vodka, noticeably sweet and had a real taste of Guinness. I think he brought it in to celebrate a Polish national holiday, and he also brought in homemade pickled herrings, which were also delicious.
Unfortunately i have no idea how he made the Guinness vodka :(

Edit: I just googled it, and there is basically nothing out there. From the taste I remember, I can only assume he made a reduction syrup out of sugar and Guinness, and mixed it with vodka. I'm guessing it was done very gently and slowly, because the Guinness flavour was still pretty strong, and long cooking tends to flatten the taste of Guinness.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 21:48 on Apr 7, 2024

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Counterpoint to what? That they taste noticeably different at point of sale? Because that's all I was talking about.

I don't even know anymore

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

axolotl farmer posted:

This is Richard Nixon’s last lunch in the White House. Pineapple rings with cottage cheese and a glass of milk :geno:

I like cottage cheese, with either sweet or savoury things, I drink the occasional glass of milk.

Would

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've always thought Nixon was the most personally fascinating president, and the fact that his personal tastes when all the cameras were off were just bizarre really enhances that. Most of what I've heard about other presidents is fairly boilerplate, from the refined, fancy, or healthy palettes to the simple slobs. Also the ones being performatively humble with their tastes, like Ronald Reagan's hamburger soup.

Nixon just liked what he liked.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Of course, if the government is shut down, then it's also on the president's dime (or on the dime of one of his subordinates who can be bullied into it), which was the reason for the famous Trump fast food feast. He didn't want to pay to reopen the WhiteHouse kitchen.

I remember there was an episode on Yes Minister with a b-plot about the PM being unable to find a place to get free lunch in his office, which apparently modern day Britain still similarly insists that the PM pay for his own food.

Although I have my doubts on how thorough the accounting on making the head executive pay their own way goes. Poking around a little, and there's a whole thing about Canada's prime minister reimbursing the government for food expenses at a different rate to how much it actually cost. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/justin-trudeau-grocery-bill-inflation-canada-b2207785.html

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've always thought Nixon was the most personally fascinating president, and the fact that his personal tastes when all the cameras were off were just bizarre really enhances that. Most of what I've heard about other presidents is fairly boilerplate, from the refined, fancy, or healthy palettes to the simple slobs. Also the ones being performatively humble with their tastes, like Ronald Reagan's hamburger soup.

C'mon, it's gotta be LBJ for most fascinating bizarre personal tastes. Like the shower with the super-powerful butthole blaster.

So this isn't a complete derail:

LBJ food preferences posted:

Guests at the LBJ Ranch were often served: Deer sausage (very spicy), eggs, toast (made from homemade, freshly baked bread), and peach preserves.

Mexican dishes

Beef, corn, okra, apple butter

Chicken Fried Steak with mashed potatoes and gravy

Spinach, Cornbread

Rat Cheese and soda crackers

Fruits: any type of melon

Chipped beef on toast (from Navy days)

Deer sausage, scrambled eggs, and grits

DIET MEALS
Breakfast

Half a melon, hot tea, low-calorie orange juice (for a reservoir of energy—a slice of grilled lean steak)

Lunch

Hot bouillon, grilled fish steaks, herb-flavored string beans, sherbet or low-calorie custard

Dinner

Cup of unsweetened fresh fruit, soufflé made of low-calorie cheese, green salad filled with grated carrot, pie with both crust and filling made of low-calorie ingredients

I also get nostalgic for poo poo-on-a-shingle "from Navy days"

WTF is rat cheese?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Elviscat posted:

C'mon, it's gotta be LBJ for most fascinating bizarre personal tastes. Like the shower with the super-powerful butthole blaster.

So this isn't a complete derail:

I also get nostalgic for poo poo-on-a-shingle "from Navy days"

WTF is rat cheese?

seems to be an archaic name for cheap cheddar.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I like when politicians have absolutely bizarre food things, like that guy in... Wisconsin I think who talked about how he eats two extremely bad ham sandwiches for lunch every day and has been doing this for 40 years.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

As a seasoned drunkard I feel like gin and whisky and rum all have major differences between brands and regions and therefore could all be easily divided into various tiers.

Every vodka I've ever had is half a step above hand sanitizer and only good for mixing into something non alcoholic to make it alcoholic.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I can kind of respect trump choosing to eat nothing but fast food from the worst loving burger chain in the world despite being able to afford michelin star restaurants for every single meal.

I do not respect Nixon's aspic nightmare.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

It’s all ping slime. Nixon just molded it into a shape.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Grand Fromage posted:

I like when politicians have absolutely bizarre food things, like that guy in... Wisconsin I think who talked about how he eats two extremely bad ham sandwiches for lunch every day and has been doing this for 40 years.

Scott Walker, an anti-charismatic empty suit psycho who was funded by the Koch bros to bust up Wisconsin unions and democracy who ate this for lunch every day and posted it on Twitter

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I feel like anyone with such obviously deviant behaviour should be precluded from running for public office because that might be the tip of the iceberg of their degeneracy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"any type of melon" dredges up this core memory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OC4sef9964

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mymla posted:

I can kind of respect trump choosing to eat nothing but fast food from the worst loving burger chain in the world despite being able to afford michelin star restaurants for every single meal.

I do not respect Nixon's aspic nightmare.

I don't know which burger chain you think is the worst, but reportedly Trump's favorite burger that he ate regularly was some $30-$40 overcooked abomination at a Trump Tower restaurant, which is kind of the worst of both worlds.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think I remember reading somewhere that like 80% of his diet is diet coke and big macs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

rough gangtag contender

e: now with correct dims