Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

I'm still waiting to hear where the hell people use "be a Viking" to mean "be good at" (aside from Albany of course). I've literally never heard anyone use this meaning, and it makes no goddamn sense.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Trabant posted:

Sort of, but it might be more along the lines of whether English is your native language. Timestamped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99qXaVFZkQE&t=657s

(pretty sure this was posted the last? before last? go-around)

Wait this isn't just a weird somethingawful thing? This is a two decades long internet argument.

Hahaha, gently caress.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

dr_rat posted:

Wait this isn't just a weird somethingawful thing? This is a two decades long internet argument.

Hahaha, gently caress.

The argument actually dates back to the 11th century, when Nordic peoples would argue about whether Erik the Red literally thought that when he dreamed, he turned into a slow child

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

galagazombie posted:

To be frank They don’t. It’s one of those jokes where a bunch of people pretend to believe something really obviously wrong in a non sequitur way, and the humor comes from laughing at people who aren’t in on the joke getting mad and flustered at the people pretending to be wrong. The more “you” disbelieve that they actually believe it, the more they double down because that will make “you” that much more flustered.

At this point I'm pretty sure it's not a joke to them anymore, they've fully convinced themselves.

Lavender Spliffs
Nov 12, 2023

I've been a metaphoricalist since i first heard the joke. It never occurred to me that he might be dreaming about actual vikings. In the context of the sentence, he is using 'viking' in the same way you'd use 'superhero' or 'rockstar'. The joke is that he's mixed up his words, like when he said 'supernintendo chalmers'

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

riddle me this, woke metaphoricalists: what would ralph have said if he were talking about dreaming of being a viking?

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

The real joke is that ralph is an innocent character who would never bother arguing about this

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ziv Zulander posted:

The real joke is that ralph is an innocent character who would never bother arguing about this

Sleep is while ralph is a viking who gloriously slaughters his cowering monk foes who tried to argue with him if he was an actual or metaphorical viking or not!

In the glory of combat you do not care if you are a metaphor!

(I like Raph and you -and most people I assume- seriously don't care either.)

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Mr. Fix It posted:

riddle me this, woke metaphoricalists: what would ralph have said if he were talking about dreaming of being a viking?

That’s where I get to be a Viking

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

But considering Ralph's general dim wittedness the phrasing "get to be a viking" could be interpreted metaphorically as "that's where I get to be good at something".

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lavender Spliffs posted:

I've been a metaphoricalist since i first heard the joke. It never occurred to me that he might be dreaming about actual vikings. In the context of the sentence, he is using 'viking' in the same way you'd use 'superhero' or 'rockstar'. The joke is that he's mixed up his words, like when he said 'supernintendo chalmers'

But... Those are also things you can literally be. :psyduck: If he'd said either of those instead you would also interpret them literally in the context of the joke. Viking is just a bit funnier because it's more unexpected.

And that's accounting for superhero and rockstar having metaphorical meanings as well, which Viking doesn't have because contorting yourself into thinking that Viking has more than one meaning would be absolutely insane.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
shut up, you’re all Ralph

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

shut up, you’re all Vikings

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Oh boy, the Simpson's meme thread! That's where I'm Ralph!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Anyway in real world news, Malaysia built a staircase to nowhere:

Not quite an elevator, but soon.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Surely you mean escalator.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Apollodorus posted:

I mean a lot of things. :colbert:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Lavender Spliffs posted:

So you're telling me you think Ralph is calling him Super Nintendo due to misspeaking? He obviously thinks that he's literally the 1990 video game console, you moron.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Apollodorus posted:

He is speaking metaphorically

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/0lQLoFr.mp4

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

dr_rat posted:

Anyway in real world news, Malaysia built a staircase to nowhere:

Not quite an elevator, but soon.

It sounds like it’s full of malaise instead of full of Malays.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

There was some other really bad gimmick after psalm posting I'm pretty sure bit I dont remember what it was so

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
hey RJ posting was a blessing not a folly

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Kitfox88 posted:

hey RJ posting was a blessing not a folly

Potato, Potahto. Either way, it was neat

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

I'm in disguise, you stupid tart!

codo27 posted:

There was some other really bad gimmick after psalm posting I'm pretty sure bit I dont remember what it was so

This is Hollow Knight erasure...

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

codo27 posted:

Hollow Knight posting

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Bingo

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Wait a second, that was just Psalm posting!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Now as a sanctimonious goon I'm obliged to offer you a post, but as I'm beach posting from Mazatlan this post is gonna be mostly zero effort...

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
those norse fellas in the 900s were real vikings at raping and pillaging

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
those guys were also Ralphs at sleeping

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Montague Tigg posted:

those guys were also Ralphs at sleeping

They all dreamed they were a 90's cartoon fictional idoit child? technically I think that means they dreamed of being in the sorta the future?

They must of been doing far more shrooms than we preaviously thought. Also they would of seen the future and rejected it, as like none of them started dressing in like 90's springfeild clothes or anything. Every night just dreaming of future times, waking up and going man the future sucks. Than getting drunk and pilliging a bunch if places.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Posting memes in the Ralph thread

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

get out lisa i'm poo poo

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

pitch a fitness posted:

Posting memes in the Ralph thread

:dudsmile:

Reminds me of one I made ages ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
A window into the madness of my ideas drift.