Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
y'now maybe All for One just has so many quirks that there are niche ones for contrived scenarios. i bet his quirk made that truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dabi: You mean all those times I hosed up wasn't my fault?

*AfO laughs*

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
My terrible opinions aren’t my fault, AfO gave me a Bad Posting Quirk

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Endorph posted:

he should make a manga about fishing for trout in alaska

Not quite the same but man Golden Kamuy's so good

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
chapter is officially out https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1020754

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Sero, I feel like "need some savings, pal" is a bit too casual to say to a friend who just lost both his hands. I guess it could be worse. At least he didn't say "need a hand?"

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-419/chapter/42402?action=read

Garaki: Okay now that we've implanted a shittier version of Overhaul into the kid, do you want to get the real version, Master? It's literally the strongest quirk we've ever seen.

All For One: Not right at this moment. But I'm sure we'll get around to it sometime in the next 2 decades.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

oh jay posted:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-419/chapter/42402?action=read

Garaki: Okay now that we've implanted a shittier version of Overhaul into the kid, do you want to get the real version, Master? It's literally the strongest quirk we've ever seen.

All For One: Not right at this moment. But I'm sure we'll get around to it sometime in the next 2 decades.

The actual question here is that why didn't he have kid overhaul fix him after All Might punched his head off? I mean, I guess it could've turned out the same- Overhaul can only work with the materials that it has so if you're too hosed up it probably can't get you to 100%. Or maybe that's how Garaki fixed him. Or Overhaul was adopted before AFO/Garaki needed it.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Someone edit that scene from the buffy movie about clapping lol

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Fabricated posted:

The actual question here is that why didn't he have kid overhaul fix him after All Might punched his head off? I mean, I guess it could've turned out the same- Overhaul can only work with the materials that it has so if you're too hosed up it probably can't get you to 100%. Or maybe that's how Garaki fixed him. Or Overhaul was adopted before AFO/Garaki needed it.

Couldn't Overhaul theoretically just whack some other person with a desirable body and use their pieces to recreate AFO as ideally as possible?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Couldn't Overhaul theoretically just whack some other person with a desirable body and use their pieces to recreate AFO as ideally as possible?
They never really went into what Overhaul can do with multiple people. He can combine people with himself but that was implied to be permanent and the only reason his fusion was undone was because Eri rewound it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, the fact that AfO seems to have had access to Overhaul's quirk the whole time is pretty "wait, what?". From what we saw Overhaul do, his Quirk should be able to reform AfO to his pre-injury state extremely easily. I guess there is a bunch of hand-waves you can use to justify why that didn't happen, but it still pretty egregious oversight if Horikoshi decides to not address it further and pretty clumsy writing even if he does.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Probably a combination of AFO not trusting Overhaul like he would Dr. Garaki, and AFO not wanting to bother with learning how to use Overhaul's Overhaul (similar to Best Jeanist's Fiber Master).

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SKULL.GIF posted:

Probably a combination of AFO not trusting Overhaul like he would Dr. Garaki, and AFO not wanting to bother with learning how to use Overhaul's Overhaul (similar to Best Jeanist's Fiber Master).
Overhaul being really hard to use would make sense, but this is one of those things where you kinda want to just you know- say that.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Also seems worth the effort in this case!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

By the time he learned of Overhaul, he had already committed to the "steal this kid's body" plan.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

If he didn't have "but I want quirks that are strong now" as an ironic character flaw, he could've just held onto the Power Stockpiling quirk and now have unlimited power. Instead of dumping it onto his brother and accidentally creating OFA.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
AFO being an instant gratification guy when it comes to quirks is fitting (he takes, uses, and discards them like trash) but is another thing you'd kinda want to spell out.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

He also needed a new body anyways because he was trying to create someone with the right personality to be able to steal One For All, so he didn't really have a reason to fix up his own body if he was going to ditch it anyways.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Fabricated posted:

AFO being an instant gratification guy when it comes to quirks is fitting (he takes, uses, and discards them like trash) but is another thing you'd kinda want to spell out.

He's the opposite of instant gratification everywhere else! We are seeing the culmination of decades long schemes right now! Why would this in particular be one too many plates to have spinning?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

oh jay posted:

He's the opposite of instant gratification everywhere else! We are seeing the culmination of decades long schemes right now! Why would this in particular be one too many plates to have spinning?
Well he can be for long ridiculous plans but also consider quirks toys that he can take, use, and discard as he sees fit- but that's something you might want to characterize first to explain his behavior!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

afo is just a really boring villain tbh

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I thought he didn't steal fiber control because he felt he couldn't get much out of it and neither would Shigaraki because it was mostly good from Best Jeanist's fine control and practice. Presumably if he'd had twenty years to kick around and had a 'I can completely resculpt my body' he would have happily done so. Even just regrowing his eyes would give him an improvement in QOL.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

He only mentioned that it wouldn't suit Tomura.

Also, it doesn't make sense that he stole Fierce Wings and not Fiber Master if only to punish and humiliate Best Jeanist like he would Hawks.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

oh jay posted:

Anime only viewer here but this line was always interesting to me because it did seem to indicate he intended Tomura to be his true apprentice to whom he would bestow everything. But, based on S6 and every little manga thing I do know, this did not end up happening. So, if his intent was always to just control Tomura himself, why does it matter if such Quirks don't fit Tomura's disposition?

If this is addressed in the manga or a huge spoiler, you can just say as much.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Positive thoughts: the cover page art is super dope. Sugar man also looks pretty badass here for maybe the first time.

Some other thoughts: I genuinely wonder if Shigaraki has half of a copied Overhaul quirk because Horikoshi realized too late that Overhaul’s quirk is literally just a better version of Shigaraki’s. It really doesn’t make sense that AfO would be aware of such an awesome quirk and not decide to also mentor Overhaul, in fact allowing him to fall under sway of a rival crime guy.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Rhonne posted:

At this point All For One deserves to win, he clearly wants it more.

this, honestly

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

oh jay posted:

Also, it doesn't make sense that he stole Fierce Wings and not Fiber Master if only to punish and humiliate Best Jeanist like he would Hawks.

Yeah, AfO's bit about "this quirk is too complicated and would require practice to actually use" was about Tomura, not himself. There's nothing to suggest that he wouldn't take a monstrously powerful quirk that requires practice to use for himself; given that he has no problem setting up subtle and meticulous plans that take literally years to come to any kind of fruition, it would make precisely zero sense that he'd turn down a quirk like Overhaul's, which is basically a god mode cheat quirk even if he couldn't use it to fix himself.

NikkolasKing posted:

Anime only viewer here but this line was always interesting to me because it did seem to indicate he intended Tomura to be his true apprentice to whom he would bestow everything. But, based on S6 and every little manga thing I do know, this did not end up happening. So, if his intent was always to just control Tomura himself, why does it matter if such Quirks don't fit Tomura's disposition?

If this is addressed in the manga or a huge spoiler, you can just say as much.

I'm running on the assumption that in Horikoshi's outline at the time, either AfO was actually meant to die/be permanently defeated and Shigaraki was supposed to be an actual successor instead of a meat puppet.

Alternatively, it's also possible that "the evil doctor invented a magic saiyan healing tube that turns someone into an invincible superhuman with infinite regeneration to make it so Shigaraki can't be hurt by 300 heroes throwing themselves at him" wasn't originally part of the outline, so AfO was being choosy about quirk selection to make Shigaraki as strong as possible for the period when he'd have to fight before AfO could bodyjack him.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 8, 2024

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Rhonne posted:

He also needed a new body anyways because he was trying to create someone with the right personality to be able to steal One For All, so he didn't really have a reason to fix up his own body if he was going to ditch it anyways.

i'm like 60% sure there's no way he could've known that would happen.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's pretty safe to say that Horikoshi has been winging the story for quite a while at this point. I don't think much from any original plot outline has stuck around at this point given the constant bouncing and whiplashing lol

But everyone knows Mineta is gonna save the day at the end, because ?? and it will be 100% justified cause there'll be a reference to something from 100 chapters ago :v:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Wonder what Tenko's quirk was originally. My money is either Airwalk, because it's basically just Float, or Navel Laser, because lol.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So even though I'm not on the negative train on MHA with the rest I do think the weakest part of the story is AFO's refusal to exit it. The same reason All Might had to live is why AFO really should not be the final boss right now.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

syntaxfunction posted:

It's pretty safe to say that Horikoshi has been winging the story for quite a while at this point. I don't think much from any original plot outline has stuck around at this point given the constant bouncing and whiplashing lol

But everyone knows Mineta is gonna save the day at the end, because ?? and it will be 100% justified cause there'll be a reference to something from 100 chapters ago :v:

Mineta will win by shouting "I love titties" and it would be the least batshit thing to happen in the last year of the series.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Oh man it has to be navel laser

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Koichi was right to leave Japan and this shitshow

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

If I was being charitable, All for One did intend to pass on the torch by dying to kill All Might. Except then he survived and Garaki ended up perfecting a technique that hadn't been prepared prior to All for One's imprisonment.

Thus, All for One was being honest about the selecting quirks for Shigaraki. He just ended up changing plans later because he's ultimately still a selfish narcissist who wants to be the dark ruler of Japan if given the chance.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Endorph posted:

afo is just a really boring villain tbh

He didn't start that way, but he sure ended up that way.

Literally makes no sense why he didn't take the Overhaul Quirk, it's one of those things where if you're aware of it and you can take it, why would you ever not.

Also this plot point completely ruins one of the mangas main storybeats about Hero Society letting people fall through the cracks and how society as whole has to be better to prevent people like Shigaraki being created. This just reveal throws it all out the window

Asuron fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 8, 2024

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I liked AFO better when his aesthetic was "Lex Luthor wearing Darth Vader's mask"

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The final words of this comic will be "All For One has returned, for some reason" while everyone looks shocked lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

syntaxfunction posted:

The final words of this comic will be "All For One has returned, for some reason" while everyone looks shocked lol

He did that like 2-3 times already. :v: