Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

gtnh thaumcraft is basically a game of reducing any symbol down to ordo, so that you can alternate ordo and instrumentum forever. you have so many machines that give so many research points.

you can use this thing to help if desired, but concious use of an external tool is not ideal and yeah, the research is a bit of a slog that i could do without at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Tyty posted:

So I haven't really played minecraft since like 2017 but getting mad about sky islands has given me the itch to play modded again. I notice that in the time since things have split over like a bunch of versions? And APIs?

I don't think I'll have the time to play anything gregtech (or the focus to play it long enough to get anything out of it), but I wanted to play with some tech mods. Create maybe? I'm not really sure, but it looks cool. Any recommendations for a modpack (and a version to play on)? Should I just slam the latest ATM?

If you just want a kitchen sink pack, you can look up whatever the latest version of the direwolf20 pack is. It's usually got a lot of tech and magic options without being ATM scale.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Tyty posted:

So I haven't really played minecraft since like 2017 but getting mad about sky islands has given me the itch to play modded again. I notice that in the time since things have split over like a bunch of versions? And APIs?

I don't think I'll have the time to play anything gregtech (or the focus to play it long enough to get anything out of it), but I wanted to play with some tech mods. Create maybe? I'm not really sure, but it looks cool. Any recommendations for a modpack (and a version to play on)? Should I just slam the latest ATM?

If you want a pack with some amount of quest direction, then Stoneblock 3 is pretty interesting. Instead of starting on an island in the sky you're surrounded by stone.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Falcon2001 posted:

If you want a pack with some amount of quest direction, then Stoneblock 3 is pretty interesting. Instead of starting on an island in the sky you're surrounded by stone.

+1 on SB3. It's 'short' enough to be reasonably completable, has a good amount of direction, and plenty of stuff to explore. Also has Create for the op.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Black Pants posted:

The idea of someone choosing to play GTNH and then not interact with crops or bees because they're time consuming is pretty funny from the outside.

The thing is, Gregtech machines are something you can set up and have them behave in a predictable way, and leave them to do their business. There's a legitimate engineering puzzle there. Crops are something you can't look away from for a femtosecond without dying or getting taken over by weeds, and there's a lot of blackbox RNG involved in breeding them too. As for bees, I basically skipped the Apiary section and cheated in some Naquadah combs to be able to build the Gendustry machines. I hate anything in Minecraft where brute-forcing your way through RNG is a major part of the mechanic.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I wish computercraft was a little less janky and had access to nbt data, because that would open up a lot of opportunities for automating some of the boring things like this, at least for folks with some dev experience.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

RocketMermaid posted:

The thing is, Gregtech machines are something you can set up and have them behave in a predictable way, and leave them to do their business. There's a legitimate engineering puzzle there. Crops are something you can't look away from for a femtosecond without dying or getting taken over by weeds, and there's a lot of blackbox RNG involved in breeding them too. As for bees, I basically skipped the Apiary section and cheated in some Naquadah combs to be able to build the Gendustry machines. I hate anything in Minecraft where brute-forcing your way through RNG is a major part of the mechanic.
Oh my god is gendustry actually gated behind Naquadah? Ah, it's a mod meant to reduce tedium and random grind with quality of life, of course it has to be moved to the lategame.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Looking at modded packs and this week they released ATM9 - No Frills which is somehow a lightweight version of ATM9 that removes some of the more intensive mods while keeping the majority of the endgame intact. It's designed for lower end systems (runs with only 4gb allocated). It actually starts and runs fairly well on a steam deck (using Prism Launcher). Haven't dug much into it but so far it looks like a great entry for anyone just looking for a mod pack to get started. One funny note is that "lightweight" for ATM is 331 mods lol.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Oh my god is gendustry actually gated behind Naquadah? Ah, it's a mod meant to reduce tedium and random grind with quality of life, of course it has to be moved to the lategame.

it's why i just skip bees entirely in gtnh

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

it's why i just skip bees entirely in gtnh
This isn't uniquely a GTNH problem, and while there are some things I wish that pack in particular would ease up on (AE2 stuff is way too expensive when you first broach it, and should be available much earlier, imo) it's generally a problem in a ton of packs. Gating basic convenience for the actual endgame is very common. AE2 (or RS) is gated even later in a lot of packs than it is in GTNH, and for no reason I can discern. Even in packs where automation isn't a big thing! They just hate convenience!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

RocketMermaid posted:

The thing about bees is that there are ways to mitigate the RNG. You can run bees in parallel and pseudo-automate crossbreeding them with pipes even, though I've never quite managed to set it up to run fully passively. Also giving them better genes is important for increasing the odds of a crossbreeding. Specifically you want 4 Fertility so you have 4 chances to get a mutation per cycle, and this also makes breeding better genes into your bees faster so it's the most important stat, just behind getting shorter/est lifespan.
Also yeah those mutation frames are good (I should get them if I go back to GTNH)

But I don't blame you for cheating in the combs. Even with all the stuff you can do to make bees less painful, it's still a pain in the rear end because of how many useless species there are that only serve as genetic stepping stones.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
At no point should you need Gendustry for GTNH bees. You can either get the blood magic frames that guarantee mutation and 1 tick bee lifespan, or create an alveary with a combination of electrical stimulators that do the same thing (although not quite a 1000x mutation chance). It generally takes 10-20 cycles of sticking your breeder bee onto any new bee to get all the features to stick but really the only one that matters is blinding production. Once you have that on a princess and you've stabilized the genome (i.e. you only get stackable drones with the same exact genes on the princess), then that bee is done and will just produce resources literally forever. Sure gendustry can do that in a targeted way but it's really not bad doing it manually.

That's really it for RNG. The mutations are the hard part and pumping the chance high enough means both the princess and drones mutate into active/inactive of the new species. From there you just pop them in an alveary that drops their lifespan to 1 tick, crank out a stack of drones so you have some backup stock, then you take the 5-10 minutes to merge your breeder bee stats onto it and it's done. Getting new species is easy and deterministic with the proper preparations.

P.S. Lifespan barely matters. Shortest is only if you plan to use super juicy Industrial Apiaries because they dump their entire product at once which can overfill the machine output slots on a longest lifespan bee. For alveary and mega apiary it absolutely doesn't matter. It's like 3 seconds for the bees to recombine into a queen and if that happens once every 5 minutes our once every 30 it isn't having a meaningful impact on your production. The only trait you need to care about transferring onto a new species is blinding production. Even climate tolerance doesn't really matter because you need to get bees in their preferred climate to get special produce so you're going to be either witchery biome shifting or heating/cooling and hygroregulating alvearies.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

made it :3

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

queeb posted:

made it :3

Please keep the updates coming. Love some GTNH progression.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Ah the steam age is glorious. One starter tip: the steam alloy smelter GUZZLES steam compared to the other steam machines. Also when you make bronze it has to do 4 ingots at once so it takes quite a bit of steam per operation. Be aware of that and right click with a soft mallet to stop a machine if it starts choking or it will keep starting and restarting while wasting steam.

And yeah I also love following along with peoples' gtnh progression updates. Please continue!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Rynoto posted:

Please keep the updates coming. Love some GTNH progression.

I'm currently slumming it in the mines, realized I'm gonna need an assload more ore and stuff. After an hour or two of mining in gonna set up my first machines tonight, also need to build that big water tank

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Query: what's the best way to go about updating my GTNH install? I was playing on 2.4.0 before but if I was gonna get back into it I feel like I'd want to upgrade to the most recent stable.

E: Using Prism Launcher.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

queeb posted:

I'm currently slumming it in the mines, realized I'm gonna need an assload more ore and stuff. After an hour or two of mining in gonna set up my first machines tonight, also need to build that big water tank

Get the water tank first if you can. While it can passively feed quite a few boilers, the boilers have a decent sized internal buffer. If you hook up a few boilers at once and your tank isn't full enough (or you use small wood pipes) it's possible the last tank in the line will be starved for water and heat up while empty. Empty hot steam boilers + water = explosion!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Query: what's the best way to go about updating my GTNH install? I was playing on 2.4.0 before but if I was gonna get back into it I feel like I'd want to upgrade to the most recent stable.

E: Using Prism Launcher.

I'd personally suggest creating a brand new instance with the version you want and copying all the files listed here: GTNH wiki. That'll get you your entire save working and you'll have the old instance as a backup in case something breaks.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ok i built one before mining, this thing actually fills pretty fast

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

queeb posted:

ok i built one before mining, this thing actually fills pretty fast

Hint: deploy boilers directly against any side but the top and the tank will auto-output to the boiler. Works for pipes too. Those tanks accept water from the top, so you can daisy chain them. Make sure the top center block can see the sky.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Hint: deploy boilers directly against any side but the top and the tank will auto-output to the boiler. Works for pipes too. Those tanks accept water from the top, so you can daisy chain them. Make sure the top center block can see the sky.

wish i saw this earlier, i hollowed out the entire area below that tank since i thought it would explode if it got rained on lol, so i brought wood pipes down through the floor into a room

is that only electrical machines?

but oh well i need to do some huge interior digging anyways for later tiers

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

queeb posted:

wish i saw this earlier, i hollowed out the entire area below that tank since i thought it would explode if it got rained on lol, so i brought wood pipes down through the floor into a room

is that only electrical machines?

but oh well i need to do some huge interior digging anyways for later tiers

Nah, steam machines are fine to leave out in the rain. It's just electrical machines, as you said.

You can do wooden water pipes too, but I dislike it for feeding water to boilers because it's easy to get into a situation where you have too little pipe for your boilers, especially if you upgrade them to high-pressure variants later.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Nah, steam machines are fine to leave out in the rain. It's just electrical machines, as you said.

You can do wooden water pipes too, but I dislike it for feeding water to boilers because it's easy to get into a situation where you have too little pipe for your boilers, especially if you upgrade them to high-pressure variants later.

this is my setup right now lol, so ghetto

going to run the steam stuff across the right there and around the corner if i need more room

should i build one of those buffer tanks? i figured it might be a good idea, i can move the boiler up to sit attached to the water tank, then into a steam buffer thank and THEN down into my machine room

oh i saw talk of solar boilers too, are those worth making?

queeb fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 7, 2024

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Silver bottlenecks them; once you can get more silver they are very worth it imo

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

queeb posted:

this is my setup right now lol, so ghetto

going to run the steam stuff across the right there and around the corner if i need more room

should i build one of those buffer tanks? i figured it might be a good idea, i can move the boiler up to sit attached to the water tank, then into a steam buffer thank and THEN down into my machine room

oh i saw talk of solar boilers too, are those worth making?

A minimum-sized railcraft multiblock iron tank for steam is a very, very good idea. It will cost you about 3 stacks of iron (plus some more for replacing the hand tools you break), but it's worth it. Trying to build enough boilers to constantly run things is oppressive. It's better to just bank steam in a tank like a hosed up, thermodynamics-ignoring battery. Once it gets full, you spend it down by crafting stuff. When it empties, you go out and dig some holes or build your base for a while. It's a good tempo. Just make sure to chunkload your base -- cheat in some admin anchors or install serverutils.

Solar boilers are highly, highly recommended, but they are sort of difficult to make on purpose. They need lots of silver, and silver only comes in small ore form. Small ores are distributed randomly around chunks, so you can't really mine it on purpose until the Twilight Forest opens up. Make them as you can. High pressure solar boilers are even better, but you need steel for them. They need to see the sky, so they are a good candidate for slapping onto the side of your water tank.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

oh yeah ive only found 4 silver in my entire time playing so far, that definitely puts a damper on that haha

edit: my stockpile of iron is disappearing before my eyes making this steam tank lol

queeb fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 7, 2024

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

queeb posted:

oh yeah ive only found 4 silver in my entire time playing so far, that definitely puts a damper on that haha

edit: my stockpile of iron is disappearing before my eyes making this steam tank lol

I swear at any point you think "I've got a decent amount of x!" you'll find a new piece of infrastructure to build that gobbles your stock right up.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lol the steps to make a screw at this tech level is great. File an ingot to 1 rod, saw the rod in half for 2 bolts, then file the 2 bolts again into 1 screw.. not even 2 screws, just one from 2 pieces

booya

queeb fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 7, 2024

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

very soon it's lathe ingots to rods, chop the rods, lathe the bolts. it feels good

eventually it becomes "extrude an ingot" or "melt and reform the metal", but that's not so much of a step up

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I just wish smeltery channels and casting tables were less finicky because "smelt a stack of iron, watch it flow through the channels into a bunch of casting tables with bolt molds and then solidify" scratches a very specific part of my brain.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

oh god its glorious

i just put the copper and tin bars in and 4 bronze comes out?!!?? seems like its +1 efficient over the handcrafting as well, i got 4 bars instead of 3 dust

edit: drat ripping apart the bricks off a roguelike dungeon house has proven amazing, so much time saved

yes... yes!

queeb fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 7, 2024

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yoooo the steam forge hammer what the, 3 ingots into 2 plates holy moly the efficiency gains

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

:allears: hell yeah

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

queeb posted:

yoooo the steam forge hammer what the, 3 ingots into 2 plates holy moly the efficiency gains

Your posts are absolutely making me want to get back to my early MV playthrough. :allears:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Kyrosiris posted:

Your posts are absolutely making me want to get back to my early MV playthrough. :allears:

Yeah, I started back up too.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

glad I could inspire people to get back to the grind lol

i just opened the EBF quest and my eyes bulged, time to go mining!

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
Still plodding along with my base relocation. I ended up making both the circuit assembler multi, and the precise assembler which was a bit of a journey. Well worth it though! I had to make to LuV energy hatches to stick on my volcanus to smelt stuff, but now they're on those two multis instead. It was glorious seeing the crafting time for an EV circuit to go from 10 seconds to 1.25 seconds. (Perfect overclock with new voltage teir and base double speed??).
LFTR fuels 1 and 2 are requestable on their subnet, although I don't need fuel 1 anymore I don't think. Surprisingly little input goes into it once it's all set up, but the processing times are insane.
I've also got basic chemicals (and inputs) set up now. I've completely moved away from petrochem which is a nice change from the mess that was my HOG line. Still need to re-do epoxid and PBI.

My current project is moving my now broken ore processing, so that I can get some rhenium? in order to make a sparge tower so I can get LFTR fuel 3 which should be self sufficient at that point. Now that I'm here it's fine but would not recommend starting it. A few more fluid nukes would be much simpler, and then you can switch to fusion.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

American Dad posted:

My current project is moving my now broken ore processing, so that I can get some rhenium? in order to make a sparge tower so I can get LFTR fuel 3 which should be self sufficient at that point. Now that I'm here it's fine but would not recommend starting it. A few more fluid nukes would be much simpler, and then you can switch to fusion.

Look up the molten version of rhenium. IIRC it has an ABS recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
Yeah that's what I was going to do. You get a tiny amount from one of three different washed ores iirc? 18mb? Otherwise it's ZPM with milling which uh that's too far away.