Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Huh apparently there was cut content where the mimic tear talked to you and persuaded you let it be a symbiotic life form living in you and it wanted a deal where you’d be Elden lord and then when you died it would take over

yeah it makes sense that the ludicrously useful and fundamentally different spirit ash would have been a quest reward instead of found in a chest next to one normal enemy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Was just running around in Stormveil castle and somebody had a message down that said "try jumping" with their gesture pointing straight into the wall. There was a little ledge that looked like maybe I could get on, so I started jumping to see what would happen. I noclip straight through the wall and fall into the depths of the geometry and die. Fuckin lol

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

scary ghost dog posted:

yeah it makes sense that the ludicrously useful and fundamentally different spirit ash would have been a quest reward instead of found in a chest next to one normal enemy

It's at least a special chest in a special area and locked behind a stonesword lock. I give them half credit.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

John Murdoch posted:

There's no reason to assume the forms being taken are consciously decided or which direction they're going in.

The lobsters that turns into a scion creates a lot of questions all on its own.

I want to know what the mimics that turned themselves into balls were thinking

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]
Just had the perfect self-trolling combination of remembering where the War-Dead Catacombs was from a previous playthrough and forgetting that it has the enemy scaling of the zone where the Rosus statue is, not the zone where the door is.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Doing that and having forgotten to spend your radahn runes is a great way to get really, really good at killing the tree cancer demons

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Okay everyone if you live in an eclipse zone, remember to log on tomorrow and see if you can boss rush Death Prince Godwyn in the four minutes before he goes away again.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Party Boat posted:

So the Nox people discovered bendy magic metal, researched it and discovered it was useful in bendy weapons, then kept developing it until it grew intelligence so they made blobs and balls, then later discovered they could give it sentience and the ability to morph into humanoids, and were thinking hey maybe we can make our own Elden Lord if we keep doing this

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SHISHKABOB posted:

Was just running around in Stormveil castle and somebody had a message down that said "try jumping" with their gesture pointing straight into the wall. There was a little ledge that looked like maybe I could get on, so I started jumping to see what would happen. I noclip straight through the wall and fall into the depths of the geometry and die. Fuckin lol

If it seems sketchy, see if there's other message around talking about bugs

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Steve Yun posted:

So the Nox people discovered bendy magic metal, researched it and discovered it was useful in bendy weapons, then kept developing it until it grew intelligence so they made blobs and balls, then later discovered they could give it sentience and the ability to morph into humanoids, and were thinking hey maybe we can make our own Elden Lord if we keep doing this

Well they did make their own Elden Lord but it was too good. It became the weapon of the greater will.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

Well they did make their own Elden Lord but it was too good. It became the weapon of the greater will.

Dont talk about my mimic that way

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Party Boat posted:

:orb:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

scary ghost dog posted:

According to the cut content, it would ask you to swallow it and then it would be a symbiote and you’d call it out some other way than the bell, and that’s why it takes your health to summon

Also some dramatic cut dialogue that suggests things so sour:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/tzyf68/the_most_important_cut_content_questline_in_elden/

Neat stuff in keeping with the themes of dual identity

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Steve Yun posted:

OK, that explains why there was a peasant digging in the early game that turns into a bear

Is there any explanation given why they’re undercover?

From the Mimic Tear Ashes description:

quote:

Mimic tears are the result of an attempt by the Eternal City to
forge a lord.

So there’s two possibilities. Either they are successful lord candidates that have been sent out to gather shards and become Elden Lord, or they are failed attempts that were sent out for some other reason.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I think if you’re digging dirt with your own two hands in the scrub-tier lands for runes you’re not making the best of your mission

Which is extremely funny

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Barudak posted:

Dont talk about my mimic that way

I'm talking about Ragadon.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

SHISHKABOB posted:

Right before the birds leading to Godrick right? Bastard got me too lol.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I’m at chelona’s rise

Gate says seek 3 wide beasts

I found two, fast traveled to location of third one but it’s not there

Internet says don’t fast travel because turtle will respawn

Internet also says respawn by reading book at gate

I did but turtle at spirit spring not loading

I closed app and reopened, tried again, no turtle

Any ideas?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I’m at chelona’s rise

Any ideas?

This happened to me my first time. Go back to the rise and see if it's open.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Not open. Can’t believe they’d make such low quality games

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
skill issue, turtles cannot fail, they can only be failed

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Steve Yun posted:

I’m at chelona’s rise

Any ideas?

Strangest haiku I've read yet.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Huh apparently there was cut content where the mimic tear talked to you and persuaded you let it be a symbiotic life form living in you and it wanted a deal where you’d be Elden lord and then when you died it would take over

Yeah but I’m planning to destroy reality so jokes on it.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Node posted:

Strangest haiku I've read yet.

bearer seek seek lest
*I just want to level up*
bearer seek seek lest

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I do not think there is a tougher enemy to parry more than those string-bean Godskin Apostles, they are complete bastards and the learning curve feels extreme compared to every other boss type. I went down to the Nokron area to take on the crucible knights roaming about near the twin gargoyles; both him and his deer staff bro were lightweights in comparison, I was able to parry both blindfolded after that hellish training.

This game creator is an evil, evil man and I am not looking forward to taking on the one in the basement of the Caelid tower :gibs:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I started Reforged yesterday and wow using Quickstep (Bloodborne) as your light roll and doing deflects feels just as good as you'd imagine. Nearly got got Tree Sentinel first time at the start definite him having a second phase now

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

This threw me as well, but the spirit spring turtle is up in the air and hou have to crash into it - let the spring boost you straight up and keep trying until you get the message saying you got it. I don't think I saw it at all, just got the message when I managed to hit it. Took me a few tries, so good luck.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah but what makes a mimic wanna go out and pretend to be a peasant instead of something cool like a knight

“This is gonna be really funny”

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
when they made a new mimic they tested to see if it was any good, they asked "you must imitate the best and most powerful form, what do you want to be?" and they started over if it didn't say "hey, whatever I chose"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I always saw it as they tested it out on bears, but because the bears were not that complex minded they chose to disguise themselves as humans and then spent their time scratching around in the dirt, because mentally they are still bears.

But then you have the scion disguised as a lobster, so i'm not sure what they were thinking there.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
surely the mimics are just fishing

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

They all drop Larval Tears, which means they're some form of mimic.

I was assuming that rennala got poo poo faced one night and flew around the lands between squeezing out not-bears all over the place.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

But then you have the scion disguised as a lobster, so i'm not sure what they were thinking there.

Godrick's hippie failson

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Shame. Seems like it could have been a neat opportunity for something like a Covenant - this game is crying out for a Kos Parasite equivalent, I tell you.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I'm hearing a lot of people saying horseback fighting is bad but it sounds like the problem is they aren't using the flail. Run up next to your target and start heavy hit helicoptering your flail into its side and it will both stun and bleed almost anything.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It’s also a shame because it would’ve been a great reinforcement of story themes.

Like, Marika and Radagon being two people who are one, who are aligned in will at one point and then at odds. And like almost everything else in the story, one ends up forcing their will on the other

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Nice Van My Man posted:

I'm hearing a lot of people saying horseback fighting is bad but it sounds like the problem is they aren't using the flail. Run up next to your target and start heavy hit helicoptering your flail into its side and it will both stun and bleed almost anything.

Does it use FP to do that?

I carry great swords on horseback and I just R2 hold it out and clothesline enemies, usually I can get 2 or 3 enemies if there’s a crowd

Does seem to drain stamina a lot to do that tho

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Hope Miquella succeeds in totally killing Godwyn with this eclipse today guys, dude was a real bro

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
You had to find and defeat the hidden godwyn boss while totality was over your head or it didn't count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Does it use FP to do that?

I carry great swords on horseback and I just R2 hold it out and clothesline enemies, usually I can get 2 or 3 enemies if there’s a crowd

Does seem to drain stamina a lot to do that tho

I don't think so, but I'm just gearing up to start ER when the DLC comes out and haven't tried in awhile. I remember just parking my horse next to big monsters and starting up the ol' flailcopter and they would start exploding blood and getting knocked down. The advantage over other weapons is it would do multiple hits and you didn't need to stay in motion like for other weapons. In fact the slower you went the more helicopter blows you'd get in, with the final big swing knocking down.