Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Capn Jobe posted:

I can't seem to get away from using the 110mm rocket pods. The fire and forget convenience is wonderful, but I keep hearing that this stratagem isn't worth it. Is the regular Eagle Airstrike just better? Because I get an awful lot of utility out of the 110s.

The machine gun is my favorite weapon. I'd even put it above my beloved Autocannon, but it just doesn't seem worth it on the higher difficulties. I was hoping the HMG could close this gap, but it's just not good enough in it's current state. Has anyone heard of anyone making the MG work on later difficulties? Maybe paired with a Dominator and some clever stratagem use? I haven't had much success trying this, but I'd say I'm an average player on one of my good days.

Rocket pods vs air strikes are completely different use cases. Pods go for a single big target while air strikes will clear out a crowd while still dealing some damage to heavy units and destroying bug holes/fabricators. Air strikes are almost never bad, but if you know what the team needs and what complements your loadouts, pods can be really satisfying to use, I agree.

I am also a machinegun enjoyer, since it crushes all the annoying mid-sized enemies. I dropped into a friend's level 7 mission earlier that already had guys bringing EATs, a Quasar and some other gun I forgot. I ran machinegun, supply backpack and incendiary grenades. The incendiaries did a lot of work killing chaff bugs while I burst down anything warrior and up. Machinegun only gets one belt per ammo box so self-supplying maximizes uptime and allows more grenade spam.

My stratagems were 110mm rocket pods and railcannon strike to contribute to chargers and titans. Worked pretty well, and anyway I'm not shy about grabbing a spare EAT in a pinch.

I was experimenting with the Breaker Incendiary at the time and found the fire effect to be good at killing off Shriekers I wildly sprayed at. The buffed direct damage also makes it less unsatisfying against small bugs, so now the big mag size feels like a bonus and not just a necessity because of poo poo damage per shot. But any gun that can kill poo poo while you don't want to sit down for a reload should do.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hot take: the Stalwart should be a primary. Yes it shoots fast and has a big magazine, but it doesn't really hit that hard and it has no armor penetration. It's a lot of fun to set it to 1100 RPM and spray like a fire hose and I would like to use it more. However it really is not worth giving up a real support weapon or another stratagem. I think I've literally never seen anyone bringing it on difficulty 6 or above.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Sagebrush posted:

Hot take: the Stalwart should be a primary. Yes it shoots fast and has a big magazine, but it doesn't really hit that hard and it has no armor penetration. It's a lot of fun to set it to 1100 RPM and spray like a fire hose and I would like to use it more. However it really is not worth giving up a real support weapon or another stratagem. I think I've literally never seen anyone bringing it on difficulty 6 or above.

Yeah I agree. To take the stalwart I have to give up support AT and there's just too much big armored poo poo to lose that capability

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

Anyone else having trouble with their headphone sound in this game? It often comes through choppy and distorted on my headphones. Darktide had this problem as well like one time, but Helldivers 2 does it every time.

Yeah, certain combinations of loud sounds seem to cause the sound to glitch out.

Also, the only repeat crash issue I've experienced is when attempting to throw back a robot grenade. Have had it occur 3 times now.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
You can take the Stalwart if you take EATs too. EATs are perfect for the highest difficulties because even when you reinforce and can't do a corpse run you're still at 100% effectiveness.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sagebrush posted:

All of the machineguns seem pretty bad honestly. They feel like their use case is mostly situations that happen so rarely that an eagle cluster bomb will always be available and more efficient, or they're like the HMG and I don't know what they're for at all.

imo the game feels like it could use some sort of variation in enemy composition/spawn rates that are advertised to the players ahead of time so some operations could have something like significantly more frequent spawns and fewer heavies in order to give something like the stalwart a reason to exist

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 8, 2024

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
AC is still insanely good on bugs. While it can't remove the armor on chargers, it can on pretty much anything else.

Also, dodging then blowing up a chargers rear end with the AC is :krad:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I've seen people take stalwart and MG on high level bug missions and I'm not sad to see it. They're about as good as most of the other trash-clearing secondaries. Though the breaker incendiary is so good now it kind of eats all their lunches (except the GL/AC when it comes to making spewer missions easier.)

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Uh, so did we end the automatons? The Galactic map has zero red.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

strategery posted:

Yes.

For now...

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Ran into a weird bug. On a terminid mission one of the hives we squashed had a weird 'kill-zone.' If you walked into it you dropped dead, immediately. The cause of death was unknown. One of my teammates tried 2 more times to go back and get his samples and dropped dead, then one of us tried it and the same thing happened. Luckily we hadn't located the super samples yet but that bug cost us 5 reinforcements.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
I still have an active bot operation and I was hoping I could throw an SOS beacon and suck in quickplayers then alt+F4 and repeat to keep the war alive. Sadly, it seems like I'm not eligible for quickplay reinforcements.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

strategery posted:

We won! Compulsory victory joy time is scheduled from 1930-1945 tonight, citizen

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah, certain combinations of loud sounds seem to cause the sound to glitch out.

Also, the only repeat crash issue I've experienced is when attempting to throw back a robot grenade. Have had it occur 3 times now.

I feel as though they changed something about interacting with items in the world, because there was a previous bug where people would spam the interact key when running into a bunker or shipping container to grab all the stuff, but then they couldn't fire their primary weapon anymore. People are definitely gonna spam that button when a grenade is sitting at their feet.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
God they really need to fix the dot bug, the flamethrower is so awesome and satisfying to use solo so I decided to risk it again in group play and ended up switching it for a break shotgun it was so useless. It almost makes me think maybe they don’t even know about it and over-buffed fire thinking it was just undertuned, but that seems ridiculous given how it was all over Reddit. When they do finally fix it I wouldn’t be surprised if they dial the damage back a bit.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Since everyone is dropping bug tips

Away all Goats posted:

It's a counterintuitive but you wanna shoot at what looks like the most armored part of the head

EAT, Recoilless Rifle, and Quasar can all one shot Chargers this way

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Sagebrush posted:

What you've listed is exactly why the Sickle is so popular; it's effectively a primary Stalwart and with potentially unlimited ammo for light and if-you-aim-right-and-are-lucky medium threats.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Horace Kinch posted:

Ran into a weird bug. On a terminid mission one of the hives we squashed had a weird 'kill-zone.' If you walked into it you dropped dead, immediately. The cause of death was unknown. One of my teammates tried 2 more times to go back and get his samples and dropped dead, then one of us tried it and the same thing happened. Luckily we hadn't located the super samples yet but that bug cost us 5 reinforcements.

This is a common story from the OSHA thread

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

ArmyGroup303 posted:

What you've listed is exactly why the Sickle is so popular; it's effectively a primary Stalwart and with potentially unlimited ammo for light and if-you-aim-right-and-are-lucky medium threats.

Except the sickle doesn't handle like a dog and also has the best first person sights in the game.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Man things are looking up! Terminids are completely pushed back from the Termicide, and the Helldivers stuffed the Automaton menace back on its face thanks to our awesome new weapons. I think this game's going to be wrapped up by May!

Anyone know any other good games going on for when this spins down in a week or two?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

it would be unquestionably the best primary and i would take it to every single mission forever if it was, which is probably a bit much

the biggest problem with the mg43 and stalwart isn't that they're bad (they're quite good) but just the opportunity cost of taking one of your strategem slots is a bit too high for what they provide

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Tom Tucker posted:

Man things are looking up! Terminids are completely pushed back from the Termicide, and the Helldivers stuffed the Automaton menace back on its face thanks to our awesome new weapons. I think this game's going to be wrapped up by May!

Anyone know any other good games going on for when this spins down in a week or two?

Helldivers 1?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

atelier morgan posted:

the biggest problem with the mg43 and stalwart isn't that they're bad (they're quite good) but just the opportunity cost of taking one of your strategem slots is a bit too high for what they provide

It feels really weird how they are balanced against the strength of a primary weapon and not the value of a stratagem slot. I think that’s why you get kinda dumb decisions like the HMG having no 3rd person reticle and the HMG/LMG having terrible ammo economy. Any of the MG are already super niche, they don’t need more arbitrary restrictions when they’re already kinda meh because they’re not a literal cluster bomb or death laser. Meanwhile the arc thrower continues to be the best MG, with unlimited ammo, the ability to ignore armor totally, and now the ability to stun lock anything smaller than a BT/charger (and it can do a number to chargers anyways).

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Ouroboros posted:

Except the sickle doesn't handle like a dog and also has the best first person sights in the game.

I too worship at the alter of the Sickle Las-16 Super Earth-pattern lasrifle. My only gripe is its slight trigger delay, but I completely accept that as a balance issue.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

ArmyGroup303 posted:

I too worship at the alter of the Sickle Las-16 Super Earth-pattern lasrifle. My only gripe is its slight trigger delay, but I completely accept that as a balance issue.

Yeah my only wish is that it felt a bit more like an energy weapon, it feels and sounds just like a standard assault rifle. It's A tier against bots, although I recently unlocked the scorcher and I'm loving that rn.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Tom Tucker posted:

It's better than that! The new major order to take 3 planets tells us we are building better enclosures for the bugs! Spacious enclosures with state of the art nutritional supplements! All under careful supervision!

In fact:

Mordja posted:

Looks like we're getting ethically sourced, free range Terminids.

It's best for everyone involved!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sagebrush posted:

Not really a hot take, wasn't it a primary in the first game?

To your point though, I wonder if they keep it a support weapon for lower level players.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

lol @ the automaton label on the map migrating towards cyberstan

interesting destination, that would put them almost 90 degrees from the bug front.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I don't understand why the HMG doesn't get a 3rd person reticle. I hate 1st person aiming in this game but it seems like it might be a fun weapon if I could properly shoot it on the move. I tried going down to the lowest rpm setting earlier and it was much easier to handle. More of a boom-boom-boom than a gatling gun at that speed, but that helps with the ammo consumption too, especially when most of your rounds are going on target.

The Stalwart feels really great to use, honestly, it feels good to shoot and the slight handling lag helps sell the feel of a big machine gun without being cumbersome to actually fight with. I wish there wasn't the medium(?) machine gun to balance around so they could just give it a little bit more penetration and let the HMG fill the slower-but-heavier role.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I can't wait for the bug/robot hybrid levels

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Just found my first backpack strategem (Liberator Guard dog) as a random spawn in a solo game. Is that new, or have I just been supremely unlucky so far?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I think I've played more 3-strat missions than 4-strats at this point. That fourth stratagem feels like a nice little treat instead of the standard amount of magic spells you can have.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

The stalwart rocks. It's one of the best anti-chaff weapons in the game. Take a slugger or the like if you have a need to quickly kill mediums.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Real talk:

If you have time to charge the quasar before firing it, you have time to reload the RR.

If you have time to wait for the EAT pod to land you have time to reload the RR.

Having access to sustained AT fire that is immediately available when you need it is a niche that has value.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

RC Cola posted:

I can't wait for the bug/robot hybrid levels

Automoterminids?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

All of the machineguns seem pretty bad honestly. They feel like their use case is mostly situations that happen so rarely that an eagle cluster bomb will always be available and more efficient, or they're like the HMG and I don't know what they're for at all.

imo the game feels like it could use some sort of variation in enemy composition/spawn rates that are advertised to the players ahead of time so some operations could have something like significantly more frequent spawns and fewer heavies in order to give something like the stalwart a reason to exist

The regular machine gun kicks the rear end of every single bug except for chargers and titans. It's a solid pick if your team mates have those guys covered.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

BitBasher posted:

It's better than that! The new major order to take 3 planets tells us we are building better enclosures for the bugs! Spacious enclosures with state of the art nutritional supplements! All under careful supervision!

In fact:

It's best for everyone involved!

Man that's great!

Now to take a big sip of Liber-Tea and...

Real talk I'm a Quasar believer but I got into a reinforce / death spiral a game ago with a team that was ignoring the Stalker lair spawning 4x stalkers seemingly every minute and I would have killed for a quick calldown EAT that wasn't a weapon sitting halfway across the map where I was trying to close a bug hole. Whenever I take the Quaser I feel like a Cybertruck buyer. "Yeah I tried to fire but the Charger got there before it fired so I got knocked into a Bile Spewer. Immediately killed me. Then got reinforced across the map. Love the weapon, though."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Infidelicious posted:

Real talk:

If you have time to charge the quasar before firing it, you have time to reload the RR.

If you have time to wait for the EAT pod to land you have time to reload the RR.

Having access to sustained AT fire that is immediately available when you need it is a niche that has value.

How do you buddy load anyway? I grabbed a guy's spare backpack and reloaded it from ammo crates, and then when I got up to him I realized I had no idea how to start the buddy load animation.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Arglebargle III posted:

How do you buddy load anyway? I grabbed a guy's spare backpack and reloaded it from ammo crates, and then when I got up to him I realized I had no idea how to start the buddy load animation.

Push the use button, you sorta magnetize to them

So E on PC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Infidelicious posted:

Real talk:

I accidentally took the RR instead of EATS earlier today and I kind of agree. EATS and Quasar still let you take a backpack slot, which is huge, but reloading with the RR in a hectic situation feels fun and you get a lot of punch out of a single backpack. Definitely enough to down a titan and several chargers, lots of chargers, and maybe even two titans. I even died to surprise stalkers, summoned another RR, and then took out a shrieker nest at range when I made it back to my first pack. Not exactly an ideal strat but two RR packs is a lot of rockets.

It's entirely useable, basically preferable if you want to take three eagles or orbitals along with.