Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Thank you Tony for driving all these people insane again. Champ poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

xbilkis posted:

The absolute worst case scenario for this is what, 2 minutes of bad TV that makes Jungle Boy look bad and Tony Khan look thin skinned? If you are concerned about this footage getting aired then what you really fear is Discourse in an online community where the standard for conversation is stuff like "Why do they put people on the TV who I don't immediately recognize?", to which I say, get better at curating your web experience

Yeah, it's what I've settled on. It's probably going to be funny, it might be interesting, and if it isn't it'll pass and Copeland and Penta will have a respectable Honorable Mention title defense.

In the spirit of Hell Thread: even if it airs only like twenty people will see it anyway!!!!!!!!!! :owned:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Worse thing that could happen is the footage will be boring and Tony won't follow up on it

Best thing that can happen is it's funny and we get Jack Perry back and we get House of Torture Young Bucks and Okada as well

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

MJeff posted:

Anybody have any idea what the gently caress any of that means?

that we are all losers and other posters from other parts of something awful made a mockery of us. I think?

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

motherbox posted:

WWE’s corporate culture is a nightmare.

Airing this video is a terrible idea and runs contrary to AEW’s strength, which is “we’re gonna put on actually good wrestling matches.”

Holding both of these viewpoints simultaneously is impossible and unless you believe a billionaire is very smart for punching up you are a literal rape apologist who loves KSA.

i wouldn’t put it in such harsh terms but this is the hell thread and i respect your right to do that

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Worse thing that could happen is the footage will be boring and Tony won't follow up on it

Best thing that can happen is it's funny and we get Jack Perry back and we get House of Torture Young Bucks and Okada as well

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Whole lotta people in the hell thread not believing in the glory of the house gonna be proven wrong

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Shard posted:

They aren't afraid of anything because that would require higher thinking. They are just hot take machines. Once this is over and aew continues to exist far into the future they will move onto the next topic that is truly the final death throws of this long suffering company

Remember when the exploding barbed wire dud was going to be the death of the company

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Remember when the exploding barbed wire dud was going to be the death of the company

It's funny, I was thinking about that match again earlier for a similar reason. It took place during my hiatus from wrestling, but I heard that AEW was doing a barbed wire exploding deathmatch, so I ordered the PPV. It was at the time genuinely one of the best shows I had seen in my life. I could feel all of my love coming back. When the ending happened, all I could feel was disappointment not because of the match or even the company, just the knowledge that it was what an otherwise flawless show was going to be remembered for. I didn't get back on the train for a few more years, but now we're at a point where the botch is an easter egg in Fight Forever and the show, I think, is generally more well-remembered for its positives.

Man, I still wish that had gone off like they wanted, though. :sigh:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

MJeff posted:

All of the worst posters don't want the footage to be shown. Makes you wonder......what're they afraid of....... 🤔

they're afraid of punk losing to jack perry and they dont think it's funny... troubling

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

It's funny, I was thinking about that match again earlier for a similar reason. It took place during my hiatus from wrestling, but I heard that AEW was doing a barbed wire exploding deathmatch, so I ordered the PPV. It was at the time genuinely one of the best shows I had seen in my life. I could feel all of my love coming back. When the ending happened, all I could feel was disappointment not because of the match or even the company, just the knowledge that it was what an otherwise flawless show was going to be remembered for. I didn't get back on the train for a few more years, but now we're at a point where the botch is an easter egg in Fight Forever and the show, I think, is generally more well-remembered for its positives.

That's like the worst Revolution of the five, too. :lol:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

NienNunb posted:

Tony cannot fail he can only be failed

Honestly, a lot of folks in this subforum seem to actually believe this.

The constant refrain of 'WWE/Vince was petty too' is a fascinating application of whataboutism: If it's pathetic and small-time and self-sabotaging for WWE to do it, then it is ALSO the same thing for AEW to do so. And frankly, with stuff like this, WWE was rarely this petty to let a shoot dispute take over the show in a way that makes them look like they're using the competition's star to pop a rating. (The infamous Punk rear end video was on the website, they didn't have Triple H do a 10 minute promo presenting it)

If Tony Khan feels Punk was being dishonest, make a statement to that effect on social media and post a link to the footage. Because all that putting on TV does is amplify what he says, and scream, "I'm not mad, please don't put in the dirtsheets that I was mad". And that's assuming the footage is clear-cut and will make the majority of gawkers agree that Punk was in the wrong. More likely it's from a weird angle, doesn't catch the full altercation and it lets people spin Tony as lying about being afraid of Punk or Punk doing anything to get himself fired. And as people have noted, using Jack Perry being choked out by a guy who doesn't work for you as the way to bring him back is... at best a mixed bag.

Now, yes, many of these outcomes are objectively funny from the outside perspective, but from AEW's point of view, it's another case of Tony falling into the trap of assuming that the people watching his show are as online as he is.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

nah

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Gaz-L posted:

Honestly, a lot of folks in this subforum seem to actually believe this.

The constant refrain of 'WWE/Vince was petty too' is a fascinating application of whataboutism: If it's pathetic and small-time and self-sabotaging for WWE to do it, then it is ALSO the same thing for AEW to do so. And frankly, with stuff like this, WWE was rarely this petty to let a shoot dispute take over the show in a way that makes them look like they're using the competition's star to pop a rating. (The infamous Punk rear end video was on the website, they didn't have Triple H do a 10 minute promo presenting it)

If Tony Khan feels Punk was being dishonest, make a statement to that effect on social media and post a link to the footage. Because all that putting on TV does is amplify what he says, and scream, "I'm not mad, please don't put in the dirtsheets that I was mad". And that's assuming the footage is clear-cut and will make the majority of gawkers agree that Punk was in the wrong. More likely it's from a weird angle, doesn't catch the full altercation and it lets people spin Tony as lying about being afraid of Punk or Punk doing anything to get himself fired. And as people have noted, using Jack Perry being choked out by a guy who doesn't work for you as the way to bring him back is... at best a mixed bag.

Now, yes, many of these outcomes are objectively funny from the outside perspective, but from AEW's point of view, it's another case of Tony falling into the trap of assuming that the people watching his show are as online as he is.

Vince made multiple skits about billionaire ted that had to be stopped because they were getting close to slander what are you talking about dude lol

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The match itself has some incredible psychology and had some genuinely well thought out spots.

Such a bummer the explosion went the way it did.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It wasn't a failure when WWE was petty. It made them insanely successful.

quote:

using the competition's star to pop a rating

Well ok fake Razor and Diesel didn't really help but it did pop ratings.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Gaz-L posted:

Now, yes, many of these outcomes are objectively funny from the outside perspective

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
that time vince made fake diesel and razor out of sheer pettiness and anger over WCW

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Vince made multiple skits about billionaire ted that had to be stopped because they were getting close to slander what are you talking about dude lol

This is way more like if he literally put the footage of Bret decking him on Raw.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Gaz-L posted:

This is way more like if he literally put the footage of Bret decking him on Raw.

he wouldnt have done that because it made him look weak personally but if he had decked hart he would have

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Let's see the tape before we start comparing it to punches that connected

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

wrestling with shadows still came out so he did in a way

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
forgot vince was trying to make himself the babyface in the fallout of the screwjob until finally giving up lol

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Even aside from this whole thing, it has kind of crystalised what I think Khan's biggest flaw as a promoter is, and it's basically the same one Vince had, albeit Khan's tastes align more with most of us: He books for himself. Like, he's booking for a theoretical audience that is as online as he is, that watches every show, watches all the ancillary stuff on YouTube, reads Fightful and the Observer and watches a bit of CMLL, Stardom and NJPW as well as some indies. And that's just not the case for every fan watching TBS on a Wednesday night. For folks like people posting here it's not even universally true (how often in the Dynamite GDTs leading up to Forbidden Door do we see someone go "I don't watch New Japan, who dis?" or similar?).

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

forgot vince was trying to make himself the babyface in the fallout of the screwjob until finally giving up lol

Anyways this is why responding to lies is exactly the same as when those liars constantly lie. Tony will just make himself look petty and small.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Gumball Gumption posted:

Anyways this is why responding to lies is exactly the same as when those liars constantly lie. Tony will just make himself look petty and small.

good it'll be funny

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
and hell it'll make CM punk mad and thats even better

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

You all have to learn you can’t write multiple paragraphs of criticism in this thread, they’re just gonna laugh at you and MJeff is gonna make some form of credible threat. You need to get in and out quick, point out the freefalling ratings or Tony’s lovely tournaments.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Vince's biggest flaw: He books for himself.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Gumball Gumption posted:

Tony is small. It’s just light & eyes doing that part

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

NienNunb posted:

You all have to learn you can’t write multiple paragraphs of criticism in this thread, they’re just gonna laugh at you and MJeff is gonna make some form of credible threat. You need to get in and out quick, point out the freefalling ratings or Tony’s lovely tournaments.

not everyone is as smart as my friend NN

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

NienNunb posted:

Finally, somebody recognizes my credibility.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

NienNunb posted:

i'm going to hit you with a stunner

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

motherbox posted:

WWE’s corporate culture is a nightmare.

Airing this video is a terrible idea and runs contrary to AEW’s strength, which is “we’re gonna put on actually good wrestling matches.”

Holding both of these viewpoints simultaneously is impossible and unless you believe a billionaire is very smart for punching up you are a literal rape apologist who loves KSA.

okay you've got a point, it sucks that there won't be any matches and it's just gonna be backstage footage for 2 straight hours

:bravo:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
it will be and it will be good

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I mean yes, I would gladly take either. This could easily be the dumbest thing AEW has ever done and by god I want to see them do it. It's must see TV.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Even aside from this whole thing, it has kind of crystalised what I think Khan's biggest flaw as a promoter is, and it's basically the same one Vince had, albeit Khan's tastes align more with most of us: He books for himself. Like, he's booking for a theoretical audience that is as online as he is, that watches every show, watches all the ancillary stuff on YouTube, reads Fightful and the Observer and watches a bit of CMLL, Stardom and NJPW as well as some indies. And that's just not the case for every fan watching TBS on a Wednesday night. For folks like people posting here it's not even universally true (how often in the Dynamite GDTs leading up to Forbidden Door do we see someone go "I don't watch New Japan, who dis?" or similar?).

What does this even mean, who is he supposed to book for

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the first hour will be nothing but jack perry beating punk up and the second hour will be a repeat of the monitor falling on tony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They're giving JR a half hour to sit down with Tony so he can explain how his therapy after the event has been going