Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

George H.W. oval office posted:

My parents were complaining because some friend of theirs has to deal with a Gen Z worker and they come in at 10, take a hour lunch, then dip out at 3 for the day and that’s baller as hell. Gen Z is gonna break the backs of the boomers with their 100% not giving a poo poo attitude

20 hour work week should be the standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

frame this and put it in a museum

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Saw a comment awhile back saying it's no longer cringe to clap when a plane lands.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

"I'm feeling bougie today - I'm going to eat!"

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

super sweet best pal posted:

Saw a comment awhile back saying it's no longer cringe to clap when a plane lands.

lol

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Mother fucker this is the bleakest poo poo

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

rough chuckles

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

They're not clapping for the plane landing, OP, they're clapping for Jeb!

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Horseshoe theory posted:

"I'm feeling bougie today - I'm going to eat!"

eating lots of avocados 🤣🤣🤣

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

we doubled the price of everything to the point where cream is a luxury item and hahaha these hahaha children are still buying it oh god hahahaha

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

well there is some ridiculous poo poo out there

quote:

The success of the canned water brand Liquid Death also shows how young people are willing to spend on flashy food and beverages. The brand recently shot up to a valuation of $1.4 billion thanks to a recent round of funding, according to Forbes. Peter Pham, an investor in Liquid Death, previously told Business Insider that part of the brand's success comes from its appeal to younger generations.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

netizen posted:

Nothing a little duct tape applied by a coked-out part-time employee couldn't fix.

Part time airport employees can't even afford coke anymore

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Lmfao

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

priced out of bell peppers

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

mycomancy posted:

Mother fucker this is the bleakest poo poo

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Chugging Liquid Death at my lazy girl job, logging in to Tradeline and watching my credit cards work for me, loving life is good, poo poo it's 3pm already I'm outa here.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

thread title

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

this is a hateclick headline for a "price go up" new article

stop giving in to the hate...............

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

lmao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

anime was right posted:

this is a hateclick headline for a "price go up" new article

stop giving in to the hate...............

oops the internet is all just seo scams and LLM clickbait

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

i give in to the hate

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Me: Purchases an ice cream sandwich as a treat

Some dipshit: "THE IRRESPONSIBLE MILLENNIALS ARE AT IT AGAIN, FOLKS!"

Seriously though, that is some bullshit reporting. The McKenzie study itself seems... fine I guess? It's basically just a generalized look at consumer sentiment and how consumers across various age cohorts are spending their money. The BI article however breaks away from the McKenzie study halfway in though and proceeds to go off on a bunch of weird unrelated tangents based on "one guy said a thing" and "a weird brand of canned water was successful". Absolutely baffling.

Anyways, let's do a real breakdown of that McKenzie study. The first thing I noticed was that while consumer sentiment is up across the board from last year, it still seems to be fairly poor with a negative net-intent to increase spending on most things except essentials:

To me this says that the economy is improving to the point where people are feeling comfortable enough to buy the organic Trader Joe's granola they like but are still in a tight spot (or perceive themselves to be) and don't feel comfortable spending much more on anything else.

Next we have "Intent to splurge"

This one bugs the poo poo out of me because "do you intend to treat yourself over the next three months" is both a fairly long time frame for that kind of thing and also incredibly vague. Both renting a $3 movie from Amazon and spending $35k on a vacation are both technically "splurging". So the fact that half of all poor Gen Z kids intend to do it doesn't tell us much. I do find it interesting that intent is down or neutral across the board for middle-income people though. Which make sense since they are the ones getting the most squeezed lately.

Finally we have the things people are splurging on which does help clarify things a bit:

Most of this is pretty expected (younger people buy more home electronics than old people, shocking) but the one interesting thing I noticed was that while Gen Z and Millennials splurged on groceries, Gen X and Boomers splurged on restaurants, which 100% tracks with what I know about people my parent's age. When I want a fancy meal, I usually just make it myself. However when my parents want a fancy meal, they go to Chilis (seriously guys!?). And the reason for that divide? Because eating out is loving expensive and I can't afford to do that every week. My parents on the other hand can do it without even really thinking about it much. So this study may not necessarily be evidence that the Kids These Days are suddenly being irresponsible by spending a ton more on groceries. It could actually be that they have a bit more to spend but are still locked out of more expensive options.

Lastly, I just want to take a moment to gripe about how there's no category breakdown by economic status. I'd be very curious how these categories would shift if you compared poor to wealthy cohorts. How much splurging do you suppose the rich do on things like travel? Sadly we may never know (it's a lot).

EDIT: Important note: This study is only really looking at the intent to spend more than you normally would on things you don't necessarily need, NOT whether people are spending more on things in absolute terms due to inflation. Based on the way the questions are worded you probably won't get a lot of people reporting that they intend to splurge if all they are doing is buying the same stuff at a higher price.

readingatwork has issued a correction as of 07:03 on Apr 8, 2024

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

LonsomeSon posted:

i give in to the hate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ6nF6JKtRc

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
with those prices, buying a box of cheerios counts as 'splurging' on groceries these days

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

i kill poster anime was right using force lighting

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lmao

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
Visiting other places really makes me realize how dumb the USA is.

I went to a grocery store with my sister -in-law in an African country. The cashier was stone faced. After, I asked my sister if the cashier was mad that a white man was there or what. She said that is how all cashiers are, it would be more unusual if the cashier smiled and was friendly.

I told her how American cashiers have to fake smile and be super friendly or they get in trouble/fired.

My years working as a cashier would have been so much better if I didn't have to pretend to be every customer's friend.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

umm, what are some examples of these jobs? asking for a friend

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Precambrian Video Games posted:

How Tech Giants Cut Corners to Harvest Data for A.I. by five human authors (could have just asked grok):

I didn't know Zuck wanted to buy an entire loving publisher just to train their poo poo on it. Amazing.

Didn't you just finish telling us that they're so desperate they're transcribing youtube videos for content and mining reviews? How much of that poo poo is generated by godawful bots anyway (I mean like the Spiderman vs Elsa videos or whatever)?

It's the tone of urgency and inevitability that really gets to me. Who am I to question Andreessen Horowitz' finest when they say they have no choice but to pillage and plunder all of the data fields and mines?

What is the end goal here? indeed.

So what was their solution?

The last bit is summarizing some paragraphs on training on AI-generated data I cut out:

amazing I didn’t realize that they’ve basically used all the data that there is. lol. that’s a huge fuckin problem if they want to keep up appearances and keep pushing out better models.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

cool av posted:

amazing I didn’t realize that they’ve basically used all the data that there is. lol. that’s a huge fuckin problem if they want to keep up appearances and keep pushing out better models.
they've read all your posts

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

cool av posted:

i found out searching by images rather than standard weblinks is much faster at getting useful data lol, for let's say reviews for ryzen 5700x3d

simply cuts to the chase than hitting up a sea of worthless algo-text excrement walls pretending to be real reviews

Palladium has issued a correction as of 07:47 on Apr 8, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

cool av posted:

Best part is there's absolutely no way they can get more data without it being AI garbage itself, I'd bet

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
yes the big pinprick moment for generative text will be later this year when openAI release GPT5, and it's obvious to everyone that it's just an incremental improvement over 4. nothing like the leap from 3 to 4, or the huge leap from 2 to 3 that sparked the mania.

once it sinks in that the second derivative of progress is sharply negative, the frenzied pumping of literal trillions into this poo poo will evaporate quickly

(to be clear i'm not saying there's no progress to be had from fine-tuning new and existing models, but it's going to be increasingly incremental and niche)

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

cool av posted:

loved the analogy of Human-Produced Text with Fossil Fuels in this substack:

quote:

Explosive growth can only come from cheating, from discovering some way to break the rules. Most of the time this involves actual explosions.

Because the most important rule is the First Law of Thermodynamics, the conservation of energy.
Fossil fuels enabled explosive growth by allowing us to cheat the First Law of Thermodynamics. Burning fossil fuels means stealing energy from the past.

Coal was an essential catalyst for the Industrial Revolution. Humans probably would’ve continued to make technological progress by accumulating knowledge and refining our social institutions, but without coal, it would’ve been an Industrial SteadyProgression.
Today’s explosive growth, what we might end up calling the “AI Revolution,” was also made possible by cheating. But this time, it wasn’t energy but knowledge that we figured out how to exploit. Knowledge that had been accumulating in media objects over generations of human communication. Fossil Knowledge.

Data is the new oil, and we’re the dinosaurs.
For this fossil fuel analogy to work, it’s important to learn the lessons of Peak Oil. In the 2000s, I remember a lot of anti-capitalist/environmentalist types pushing this message: given a fixed amount of oil in the ground, it must mathematically be the case that one day we will reach Peak Oil production, after which point oil production will of course decrease. The idea was that fossil-fuel driven growth couldn’t last forever and that we needed to start looking for alternatives.

It was looking good for the Peak Oil camp in the 2000s…and which point this happened. (Red is Hubert’s 1956 prediction, green is actual US oil production).

So how is the data problem for AI different than the Peak Oil argument?

The latter springs from the arrogance of anthropocentrism. The Earth is simply much bigger and older than we can comprehend. A hundred years simply isn’t enough time for us to exhaust the energy stored in our planet by billions of years of biological life. This isn’t to say that everything will always be fine and the miracle of the market will save us from thinking about ecological problems — but that just like in the case of the “population bomb” of the 1960s, we need to avoid normative arguments that are based on falsifiable technological premises.

Fossil Knowledge, on the other hand, has only been accumulating for a few millennia. The overwhelming majority of words ever printed on dead trees were printed in the past century.

it goes on and ends in a different, less intersting direction ("and that is why we should ban tiktok" lmao), but I like the turn of phrase

and what's really amusing is that none of these firms seem interested in investing into the real bottleneck for advance in "AI", which is Machine Perception. Training data and models still requires a vast, vast amount of labor hours' worth of labeling and validation by humans. if we could get machines to percieve the world directly without less an less human input that could solve the current problem! but no, let's just keep brute-forcing larger and larger models on top of each other I'm sure it will go great

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SA Forums Poster posted:

Visiting other places really makes me realize how dumb the USA is.

I went to a grocery store with my sister -in-law in an African country. The cashier was stone faced. After, I asked my sister if the cashier was mad that a white man was there or what. She said that is how all cashiers are, it would be more unusual if the cashier smiled and was friendly.

I told her how American cashiers have to fake smile and be super friendly or they get in trouble/fired.

My years working as a cashier would have been so much better if I didn't have to pretend to be every customer's friend.

this is how it is in most of the 'civilized' world. going grocery shopping in italy ruled. america is just particularly sick in the head

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Best part is there's absolutely no way they can get more data without it being AI garbage itself, I'd bet
100% and it would quickly degenerately spiral of junk in -> junk^2 out -> junk^3 in. Ted Chiang's piece is the best to date https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/chatgpt-is-a-blurry-jpeg-of-the-web. pre-2022 data is going to be heavily prioritized and lusted after.

sort of like how pre-nuclear bomb iron/steel is very very expensive and useful for radiometer devices because there's too much background nuclear now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I figured more that even if there's better ways to acquire data and train algorithms on it, the companies pushing AI and everyone who'll do business with them are institutionally incapable of doing that when they can just feed more AI garbage into itself, because that's less effort and they will always and only choose the option with the least effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
have the Feds seize the entirety of libgen, and then use that material to train AI without having to pay licensing to whoever originally owned the material

bing bong so simple