Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Feyd-Rautha knocking up Lady Fenring was only after the fact stuff in the failson’s novels right? I’m disappointed in you Denis :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

priznat posted:

Feyd-Rautha knocking up Lady Fenring was only after the fact stuff in the failson’s novels right? I’m disappointed in you Denis :sigh:

"The bloodline is secure"
Sometimes, familial politics force you to do unpleasant but necessary things.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I know the usual take here is that Paul is bad, but I'm not really sure who can be characterized as "good". Certainly not the emperor or the Harkonnens. The fremen are the ones doing all the killing. It seems if anyone is good, its a very meta form of good in that humanity survives.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spazzle posted:

I haven't read past the first book in a very long time. Why did Paul have a giant murderous jihad after becoming emperor?

Paul created a religious cult out of people who were already fanatical and extremely good at violence in order to survive, and then his son died and he decided to go "gently caress you alllllll" and once he did that the Jihad was unstoppable.

One of the elements of the story however is that Paul was not in control of the creature he created. He couldn't stop it once he created it. He stopped being a person and started being a figurehead and noted that even if he died in some seemingly meaningless way that it would just be worked into the prophecy and the actions would continue under his name with or without him.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I just realized that dune 2 isn't actually dune since there's no Dunc.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Paul and Jessica tap in to the prophecies planted by the Missionaria Protectiva in order to survive, and later to get revenge against the Harkonnens and the Emperor. If they had just gotten eaten by a sandworm nothing would have happened, but once they run into Stilgar and friends and start pulling those prophecy levers, they start inexorably down that path.

I personally have always found it a little weak because Paul doesn't even try, he just shrugs and says "oh well, nothing we can do, billions gotta die", but that's the situation as presented by the book.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Alucard posted:

I just realized that dune 2 isn't actually dune since there's no Dunc.

offscreen, getting brewed up by the tlelaxu

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Spazzle posted:

I know the usual take here is that Paul is bad, but I'm not really sure who can be characterized as "good". Certainly not the emperor or the Harkonnens. The fremen are the ones doing all the killing. It seems if anyone is good, its a very meta form of good in that humanity survives.

good people in Dunc - Leto Atreides, Duncan Idaho, Liet Kynes, Gurney Halleck

notably 3/4 of them are dead pretty quickly in the book, and the last one shows up way too late to stop Paul from his jihad

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I personally have always found it a little weak because Paul doesn't even try, he just shrugs and says "oh well, nothing we can do, billions gotta die", but that's the situation as presented by the book.

dude was high AF and felt it was inevitable after he made it to Sietch Tabr. He could've just died to Feyd and it probably would've stopped, but the Fremen would've been hosed

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Vampire Panties posted:

notably 3/4 of them are dead pretty quickly in the book, and the last one shows up way too late to stop Paul from his jihad

dude was high AF and felt it was inevitable after he made it to Sietch Tabr. He could've just died to Feyd and it probably would've stopped, but the Fremen would've been hosed

Hardly. If he had died to Feyd, his Fremen would likely have poisoned the spice-sands, as he had already rigged to do even as they spoke in order to terrify the guild into compliance, and end space travel forever.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I always read it as Paul was horrified at the Jihad, but more terrified at disappointing his Father, Jessica, Gurney, Stilgar, Chani, and letting the line of the Atreides die in the desert.

He was a coward and decided to kill untold billions instead of dissapoint his mommy. He could've just walked out of the tent and planted a thumper when he had the vision of the jihad but nope, gotta be a duke.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I thought the movie did a really good job on how he resisted going down that path but in the end didn't see any other way to save the Fremen. It's totally absent from the Lynch movie where it was always like "gently caress yeah, jihad!!"

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I got the impression that the Fremen going on a jihad was imminent anyway and Paul just sort of rode the bull (or in this case, the worm) and used his prescience to guide the future toward one that was preferable to him even if it was horrible. Herbert was big on material conditions and also the idea that the decadence and stagnant conditions of the Imperium were leading towards some kind of inevitable moment that would shatter this.

edit: I think Leto II says something to this effect in GEoD, but it's been a few years so my memory is hazy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finally saw Part 2 last night. Movie is awesome as gently caress! There are things I like about it that are better than the book, or the David Lynch adaptation, while there are things about the book & Lynch adaptation that I like better. Basically it’s awesome that we have so many interpretations of this universe and the first book now, and they are all good in my opinion. Part 2 also felt rushed in places, I actually wish it were longer. Or what I would have really preferred is this level of quality, but made into a 10 episode mini-series.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Vampire Panties posted:

Leto is a military dictator and colonial drug lord who is fooling himself that he’s so noble and honorable there’s nothing wrong with his way of life, unlike those nasty Harkonnens who bang slaves and don’t fight fair (unlike me with my bound concubine and poison tooth). Halleck and Idaho are his hatchet men. The Atreides wouldn’t have willingly set out to do the jihad but only because it didn’t serve their interests. When they come to think that jihad serves (their) greater good they suddenly can’t envision any future that doesn’t involve unleashing the horde on the universe. And their “good guy” retainers go right along with it, because of course they do.

Kynes is Fremen and definitely a pant making GBS threads psycho killer like the rest of them, on top of which his and his dad’s terraforming plan was lunatic poo poo. It’s a feasibility study hopped up on the light version of Muad’dib’s cult, combined with zero sense of political perspective. Did he really think the rest of the universe was going to just sit back for the next few hundred years and let the Fremen destroy galactic civilization to turn Arrakis green?

I’m struggling to think when in Dune we meet someone who’s actually good in any way. Maybe some of the random working class guys they meet while on the run in Heretics. Even then they’re mostly traumatized veterans helping out their temporarily embarrassed warlord Teg.

Dune series is a story about how if you let people do things for the greater good, before you know it everyone ends up ruled with an iron fist by a satanic dragon god and his sex nun minions.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I know it's said that dune is a counterpoint to the foundation series. But at the end, they both have psychic future seers avert a dark age of humanity by steering things through a mere few thousand years of darkness.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

skasion posted:

I’m struggling to think when in Dune we meet someone who’s actually good in any way. Maybe some of the random working class guys they meet while on the run in Heretics. Even then they’re mostly traumatized veterans helping out their temporarily embarrassed warlord Teg.

Dune series is a story about how if you let people do things for the greater good, before you know it everyone ends up ruled with an iron fist by a satanic dragon god and his sex nun minions.

The Shadout Mapes?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Vampire Panties posted:

The Shadout Mapes?

bootlicker

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Vampire Panties posted:

The Shadout Mapes?

Mapes was seconds away from murdering Jessica in cold blood for not meeting the bullshit criteria of a fake prophecy.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

skasion posted:

I’m struggling to think when in Dune we meet someone who’s actually good in any way.

Geoff the Fremen. He had some cool coffee cups. Perhaps... too cool.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Chani's friend seemed cool

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

StashAugustine posted:

Chani's friend seemed cool

miss not-in-the-book

(she is in exactly 4 lines in the book, as a male. i'm not kidding about exactly 4 lines)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Geoff the Fremen. He had some cool coffee cups. Perhaps... too cool.

I was a friend of Geoff

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The reason that Paul willed the jihad into existence (or at least the reason he tells himself) is that the body count from the jihad is somehow less than every other alternative he sees. It’s the least bad option and his tragedy is that he still has to own the responsibility for a holocaust. It’s the same as Leto II’s justification for his regime- as bad as it is, it’s necessary for the ultimate survival of the species. Imo one of the weaknesses of the books is it’s genuinely unclear whether Herbert believes this psycho utilitarian nonsense.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Bijaz is the only moral center of the whole series.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Spazzle posted:

I know it's said that dune is a counterpoint to the foundation series. But at the end, they both have psychic future seers avert a dark age of humanity by steering things through a mere few thousand years of darkness.

Hardly a contradiction there. A fun counterpoint is to do the same things, in broad strokes at least, but change the emphasis.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

bob dobbs is dead posted:

miss not-in-the-book

(she is in exactly 4 lines in the book, as a male. i'm not kidding about exactly 4 lines)

Wait really? What are the lines, and how are you sure it's the same character?

She was cool as gently caress. Just sassing Paul all the time and she even gives him his cool new nickname. I was legitimately sad when Feyd cooked her alive.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

She was cool as gently caress. Just sassing Paul all the time and she even gives him his cool new nickname. I was legitimately sad when Feyd cooked her alive.

only similarity is the name. male gender.

quote:

"Shishakli has your hooks," Stilgar said. "He’ll hand them to you as you step out onto that dune over there." He pointed to his right. "Call a big maker, Usul. Show us the way."

Paul marked the tone of Stilgar's voice—half ritual and half that of a worried friend.

In that instant, the sun seemed to bound above the horizon. The sky took on the silvered gray-blue that warned this would be a day of extreme heat and dryness even for Arrakis.

"It is the time of the scalding day," Stilgar said, and now his voice was entirely ritual. "Go, Usul, and ride the maker, travel the sand as a leader of men."

Paul saluted his banner, noting how the green and black flag hung limply now that the dawn wind had died. He turned toward the dune Stilgar had indicated—a dirty tan slope with an S -track crest. Already, most of the troop was moving out in the opposite direction, climbing the other dune that had sheltered their camp.

One robed figure remained in Paul’s path: Shishakli, a squad leader of the Fedaykin, only his slope-lidded eyes visible between stillsuit cap and mask.

Shishakli presented two thin, whiplike shafts as Paul approached. The shafts were about a meter and a half long with glistening plasteel hoods at one end, roughened at the other end for a firm grip.

Paul accepted them both in his left hand as required by the ritual.

"They are my own hooks," Shishakli said in a husky voice. "They never have failed."

Paul nodded, maintaining the necessary silence, moved past the man and up the dune slope. At the crest, he glanced back, saw the troop scattering like a flight of insects, their robes fluttering.

so one spoken line. after that, nothing

souhelia yacoub, who plays fem-shishakli, is also the only actor of arab descent with spoken lines in multiple scenes. zendaya is half-nigerian and javier bardem is canarian islander (a buncha islands, which it must be said, is spanish and literally a few miles from the north african coast. but still spanish).

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 8, 2024

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Jewmanji posted:

The reason that Paul willed the jihad into existence (or at least the reason he tells himself) is that the body count from the jihad is somehow less than every other alternative he sees. It’s the least bad option and his tragedy is that he still has to own the responsibility for a holocaust. It’s the same as Leto II’s justification for his regime- as bad as it is, it’s necessary for the ultimate survival of the species. Imo one of the weaknesses of the books is it’s genuinely unclear whether Herbert believes this psycho utilitarian nonsense.

Yeah having just read up to God Emperor for the first time, I don't really know what to think about all this. You can read it as full throated support for the necessity of an authoritarian guiding hand, the opposite of that, or just about some stuff he saw while doing psychedelics.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I feel like good or ill the point is that perfect prescience makes you a weird inhuman monster. In the movie both Paul and Jessica go psycho once they drink the water

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Isn't it the genetic memories that make you go nuts?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

tbh I was surprised that he made it that quick

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah she went out like a G. I was expecting to hate the alterations to the plot but she was a total badass. I wish she'd survived into the final movie.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Jewmanji posted:

I maintain that the Golden Path is a lie, self justifying bullshit thrown out to keep Paul/Leto 2 in power.

"No, really, humanity is doooooooomed unless you do what I say."

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

pthighs posted:

Yeah having just read up to God Emperor for the first time, I don't really know what to think about all this. You can read it as full throated support for the necessity of an authoritarian guiding hand, the opposite of that, or just about some stuff he saw while doing psychedelics.

For all that Dune has Paul tell himself the jihad is bad and could be avoided if he's in charge, and Messiah calls him mega-Hitler, Children has Leto II tell him off about how they both know he didn't let the jihad go far enough to ensure humanity's survival.

Going off one of Paul's first trips where he taps into humanity's collective genetic consciousness and sees everyone getting too inbred on their planets or whatever, I guess the idea is that the jihad or an equivalent explosion of violence would have been a natural and necessary remedy to the empire's enforced stagnation if it weren't for prescient interference.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Dune is foundational literature for effective altruists.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

skasion posted:

Kynes is Fremen and definitely a pant making GBS threads psycho killer like the rest of them, on top of which his and his dad’s terraforming plan was lunatic poo poo. It’s a feasibility study hopped up on the light version of Muad’dib’s cult, combined with zero sense of political perspective. Did he really think the rest of the universe was going to just sit back for the next few hundred years and let the Fremen destroy galactic civilization to turn Arrakis green?

Kynes was imperial planetologist and Judge of the change, not a Fremen, but married to one. My reading is he was an offworlder (The emperor would never appoint a Fremen to two important posts) who had gone native. Also Chani's dad. (Was that in the films?)

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

yaffle posted:

Kynes was imperial planetologist and Judge of the change, not a Fremen, but married to one. My reading is he was an offworlder (The emperor would never appoint a Fremen to two important posts) who had gone native. Also Chani's dad. (Was that in the films?)

There are two Kynes, Pardot the senior, who was from off-world and helped to start the fremen terraforming project, and Liet the younger, who we meet in the book and was appointed judge of the change. Liet is Pardot's son and is essentially fremen.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

No Pants posted:

For all that Dune has Paul tell himself the jihad is bad and could be avoided if he's in charge, and Messiah calls him mega-Hitler, Children has Leto II tell him off about how they both know he didn't let the jihad go far enough to ensure humanity's survival.

Going off one of Paul's first trips where he taps into humanity's collective genetic consciousness and sees everyone getting too inbred on their planets or whatever, I guess the idea is that the jihad or an equivalent explosion of violence would have been a natural and necessary remedy to the empire's enforced stagnation if it weren't for prescient interference.

lmao I love the idea that an entire planet is just too small that everyone was becoming "too inbred"

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I cannot stress enough how important it is to read Dune as a complete story in itself without any sequels when trying to figure out what Herbert was saying. I love Dune despite some of it's flaws and consider it to be an immensely & objectively astounding novel that has inspired sci-fi and other forms of storytelling since it's publication. However, while I find the sequels fun, and even interesting sometimes, none of them are anywhere close to Dune and also kind of muddle the message...a lot. The Golden Path is stupid, and the entire character of Leto II is fun to read about but also really loving stupid. Having re-read that book enough times, I THINK Herbert never meant for us to take what Leto II was saying seriously. That it was just a continuation of his thesis, "Don't loving put all your trust in cults of personality" taken to a turbo-Hitler level just to hammer home how bad doing that could be. But, unfortunately, the overwhelming consensus within the zeitgeist of Dune series readers is that Leto II was being entirely truthful and that all of this was totally necessary to avert some worse end. And that completely ruins the point of the first book, which was that "great men" will make people do horrible things to bring about their personal ambitions.

I'm about to nerd-trap hard here, but watching the discourse at the end of Attack on Titan reminded me a of God Emperor and the Golden Path, where it was really obvious that the creator meant for the horror to mean one thing (and even had the main character stare right at the screen to tell you that everything he did was pointless) and yet an immense number of people read the ending as meaning that "bad things (genocide) just have to be done to prevent maybe bad things happening in the future."

EDIT: I'm also being vague here so as not to spoil AoT.

priznat posted:

No. That's straight from the original novel.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bezoar
May 2, 2007

Anonymous Zebra posted:

No. That's straight from the original novel.

Indeed, but Denis did add the pain box to this in a move that made me and a few friends of mine wonder if we misremembered the book.