Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I finally built one of those insane flush 5 decks with Triboulet and a combo of Lucky/Glass Kings. My new high score of ~900 million.

Would love to do it again but that was the first time I really got that build to come together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
How many hours do I need to put into this on console before I stop hitting discard on huge hands instead of play cards

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

That's all skill issue, friend.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

How dare you make fun of my giant hands

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I'm about to head home and watch a 2 hour video on how to get good at this game but if I'm hitting ante 5-6 consistently is there any deck in the basic decks that is considered best for winning games or should I just get better at picking joker cards and play for better planet cards than just the two pair one which is kind of my comfort pick atm

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Personally I would recommend not looking up advanced strats, part of the fun of this game is learning the insane combos you can build (see the thread title).

But a basic tip, flush decks are the easiest and usually most reliable to build.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Yeah flush is what I'm looking for a lot of the time but I haven't quite gotten the hang of trimming back my deck which seems like a big part of the game. Am I missing something BC there are a lot of sold card synergies but I don't really see any way to sell cards except jokers

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Arcana go hard on it, but also just checkered and buy the vouchers to have a 9 card hand and flush and dissolve in the lifestream.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Yeah flush is what I'm looking for a lot of the time but I haven't quite gotten the hang of trimming back my deck which seems like a big part of the game. Am I missing something BC there are a lot of sold card synergies but I don't really see any way to sell cards except jokers

Death and hanged man are the main source of flush making, especially on checkered.

On Square chat, someone on Reddit posted saying Square and Pants are a great combo and then someone posted Spongebob? and now I''m gonna play Balatro. (soon as patch goes live)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Is there any “best way” of getting undiscovered but unlocked jokers to appear? Any specific decks?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is there any “best way” of getting undiscovered but unlocked jokers to appear? Any specific decks?

You can use the exit to main menu -> continue game trick to reset game state when you see one in the shop to "buy" it and register it in the collection without tanking your run

As for seeing them in the first place just finish a run and then spend your dragon's hoard of money on rerolls really.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Just tried the beta mode and decided to do a brain dead purple stake run and absolutely coasted till Ante 8 until I got hit by a boss blind I wasn't prepared for (and didn't even look at it till I was there). Didn't skip or upgrade a single hand either

Game seems a fair bit easier - getting spectral packs left and right. Of course I'm going off a single run, I might be totally wrong

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

With how absolutely bullshit purple and above were I'm all for the game getting easier.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Tonfa posted:

You can use the exit to main menu -> continue game trick to reset game state when you see one in the shop to "buy" it and register it in the collection without tanking your run

As for seeing them in the first place just finish a run and then spend your dragon's hoard of money on rerolls really.

good idea

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Honestly anaglyph is pretty good of you're looking for specific uncommon or rares, because you can save up double tags and blow them all to force a specific rarity to show up.

Also fwiw, keep in mind that jokers that key off of specific cards (steel joker, lucky cat, etc.) won't actually show up unless you have one of those in your deck.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

^ beaten to most of this lol

few extra tips i remembered:

if you're missing the stone/steel/glass/lucky jokers, they need a card of the right type to be in your deck before they can even appear

anaglyph deck can potentially get mega money by multiplying an economy tag a bunch of times

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Rosalie_A posted:

Showman. Every other joker is, at worst, neutral (well, okay, besides Madness but Madness is good). Showman makes your tarot and celestial packs worse just for the outside shot at a second copy of a really good joker. Unless there's something I'm missing, of course, but Showman is the only joker that even if it was free and Negative I would probably not take it.

Showman let me double immolate a whole selection of cards I didn't want from a 2 pick spectral pack so it's definitely not worse than Matador.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

the new joker stickers are great, I love how it makes the top two stakes more complicated/interesting instead of just rock loving hard. that's a much better design direction imo.

also he has very effectively fixed the problem that rerolling to the free packs/card was optimal play (I don't mean most enjoyable, just strictly the most effective). buffing the majority of the other skip tags means I will give most of them a shot instead of mashing reroll.

good patch. I suspect with the sinful jokes that he saw in the stats flush decks were too high a percentage of playthroughs. force lower level players to try out other things.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
I think something people forget about the sinful jokers is it wasn’t just 20 mult on a flush is was mult applied during hand scoring phase which is the strongest kind of flat mult. Even if you were playing a not flush hand that had 2 or so of suit in there with a glass/polychrome in hand and/or steels backing them up they were far better than most of the scoring but non scaling common jokers.

Though that they buffed smiley face at the same time is kind of a head scratcher, if anything I’d say it’s a bigger offender.

PoundSand fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 8, 2024

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
How rare are the Soul cards in an Arcana pack? I feel like I've only seen it twice and most recently the legendary joker I got was Triboulet...while playing checkered deck.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

I continue to just be a meme lord.

EDIT: Lost the run near IMMEDIATELY to all 3 asking for spades on the No Spades boss.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I think I'm right on the verge of some truly absurd combos. Just got the baron too late this run to really go wild with steel kings.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm filled with rage at how consistently people can get duplicates/exactly what they want in a deck. I know how to, but it never appears with anywhere near the frequency I see.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'm filled with rage at how consistently people can get duplicates/exactly what they want in a deck. I know how to, but it never appears with anywhere near the frequency I see.

It's worth remembering you are seeing people posting the runs that really took off, but all the runs on the cutting room floor get left out. I've had a single run break into scientific notation, but I've had dozens of runs where I've held R to reset after ten minutes.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Veryslightlymad posted:

I have almost 60 hours in this game since release and I only got one of those insane card duplicate five flush combos for the first time yesterday.

I'm sure there's multiple ways to make it work but for me it was getting DNA and Brainstorm (copies joker ability furthest left) so I could duplicate 2 kings every round. This would also work with Blueprint.

Popete fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 8, 2024

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Popete posted:

I have almost 60 hours in this game since release and I only got one of those insane card duplicate five flush combos for the first time yesterday.

I'm sure there's multiple ways to make it work but for me it was getting DNA and Brainstorm (copies joker ability furthest left) so I could duplicate 2 kings every round.

I'm nearing 100 if you count time in the demo and I still haven't gotten anything that ridiculous.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'm hardly a master but I feel like this sort of thing becomes reasonably possible if you get a consistent income stream early, and then buy every single tarot card available. With the exception of the suit changers all the rest can be good in basically any deck, and enough pulls will get you some really beefy cards and the means to duplicate more.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Hanged Man is a card I really did not give enough attention early on. If you want to dupe the good stuff you have to remove the not good stuff as well.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Yo in Orange stake these perishable jokers are really really annoying because they seem to be like 90% of the cards I'm getting. Waaaay higher than eternal or just normal stock

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Balatro 1.0.1 Patch Notes posted:

Changed Fibonacci - costs $8 instead of $7, because Fibonacci

Changed Odd Todd - Now gives +31 chips per odd ranked card instead of +30 chips

These are the best, most necessary changes.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Aipsh posted:

Yo in Orange stake these perishable jokers are really really annoying because they seem to be like 90% of the cards I'm getting. Waaaay higher than eternal or just normal stock

perishable jokers are 30% to show up in the same way that wheel of fortune is 25% chance to trigger

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah honestly I really like the changes. The new joker stickers are definitely annoying but 5 rounds is a pretty long time to hold you over until you find a permanent solution, and rental jokers can be very useful if you can afford em, or at the end of a run.

Also like, it's really nice to be able to buy boosters and not feel like I'm throwing anymore.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Relyssa posted:

perishable jokers are 30% to show up in the same way that wheel of fortune is 25% chance to trigger

:airquote: "30" "Percent" the same as "25" "Percent" :airquote:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Pigbuster posted:

code:
- Updated version of Love2D - this fixed an issue on Windows and Steam Deck causing poor/stuttery performance for some players
- Added toggle for 'Reduced Motion', removing the swirly background and gyrating card motion
- Changed default fallback tarot from Fool to Strength (when all tarots are on screen)
- Changed Gold Stake random seeds - now ensures that the first Legendary Joker on that seed is a Joker that you have not won with on Gold Stake (For Completionist++ hunting)
- Changed ante scaling in white stake: 
    - Ante 3: 2800 -> 2000
    - Ante 4: 6000 -> 5000
- Changed ante scaling in green stake: 
    - Ante 2: 1000 -> 900
    - Ante 3: 3200 -> 2400
    - Ante 4: 9000 -> 7000
- Changed ante scaling in purple stake: 
    - Ante 2: 1200 -> 1000
    - Ante 3: 3600 -> 3000
    - Ante 4: 10000 -> 8000
    - Ante 5: 25000 -> 22000
- Changed Orange Stake
    - Scrapped increasing pack cost
    - Added new 'Perishable' mechanic, Jokers have a 30% chance to have a 'Perishable' sticker, disabling them after 5 rounds
- Changed Gold Stake
    - Scrapped -1 hand size
    - Added new 'Rental' mechanic, Jokers have a 30% chance to have a 'Rental' sticker (stacks with eternal/perishable), making them cost $1 up front and $3 every round
- Changed eternal to apply to Jokers in Buffoon packs
- Changed the first shop in every run to always include a normal Buffoon pack as one of the pack options
- Upcoming blinds/tags can now be seen in the shop immediately after defeating a boss blind/cashing out
- Some Blinds are now be banned on challenge runs
        - banned Crimson Heart, Verdant Leaf and Amber Acorn on 'Jokerless'
        - banned Verdant Leaf on 'Typecast'
        - banned Verdant Leaf on 'Non-Perishable'
        - banned The Plant on 'Mad World'
- Buffed Saturn
    - Now gives +3 mult instead of +2 mult for Straights
- Buffed Neptune
    - Now gives +4 mult instead of +3 mult for Straight Flush
- Buffed Eris
    - Now gives +50 chips instead of +40 chips for Flush Five
- Buffed Ceres
    - Now gives +4 mult instead of +3 mult for Flush House

- Changed Uncommon tag - Now makes the uncommon joker free
- Changed Rare tag - Now makes the rare joker free
- Negative, Polychrome, Holo, Foil tags all make their respective joker free
- Changed Investment to give $25 instead of $15
- Changed 8 Ball - scrapped old effect, new effect -> 1 in 4 chance to spawn a tarot when any played 8 is scored
- Changed Blue Seal - now creates the planet card of the final poker hand played during the round
- Changed both Mad and Clever Joker - scrapped 'contains 4 of a kind' effect, now applies instead to any hand that contains a 'Two Pair'
- Changed Yorick - scrapped old effect, new effect -> gains X1 mult every 23 cards discarded (starts at X1)
- Changed Magician Tarot - now applies lucky to 2 cards instead of 1
- Changed Midas Mask - now only applies Gold enhancement to scoring face cards, costs $7 was $6
- Changed Vampire 
    - now only removes enhancement from scoring cards
    - gives X0.1 mult per enhancement instead of X0.2 mult
    - Rare instead of Uncommon
- Changed Madness - now only applies on small/big blinds, not on boss blind selection
- Changed To Do list - poker hand no longer changes on payout, always changes at end of round (won't get stuck on Straight Flush)
- Changed description of Shortcut to include a more apt example (10 8 6 5 3)
- Changed Ancient Joker - the selected suit is no longer able to repeat between rounds
- Changed Swashbuckler - Now adds sell value of all other Jokers to Mult, not just the Jokers to the left
- Changed Hanging Chad - Now retriggers the first played card 2 times instead of once
- Changed Flower Pot - Now includes the base suit of debuffed cards when determining if it will trigger
- Changed Bootstraps to include current mult bonus in description
- Changed all 4 Sinful Jokers (one for each suit) - they now each give +3 mult per suit instead of +4 mult
- Changed Banner - now gives +30 chips per remaining discard instead of +40 chips
- Changed Fibonacci - costs $8 instead of $7, because Fibonacci
- Changed Steel Joker - Now gives X0.2 mult per Steel card in full deck instead of X0.25 mult
- Changed Odd Todd - Now gives +31 chips per odd ranked card instead of +30 chips
- Changed Sixth Sense - Now uncommon and $6, was rare
- Changed Hiker - Now gives +5 chips to every scoring card played instead of +4 chips
- Changed Gros Michel - Now has a 1 in 6 chance to go extinct instead of 1 in 4
- Changed Seance - Now uncommon and $6, was rare and $7
- Changed Riff-Raff - Now $6, was $4
- Changed Vagabond
    - Rare, was uncommon
    - $8, was $6
    - Applies when you have $4 or less, was $3 or less
- Changed Cloud 9 - Now $7, was $6
- Changed Mail-In Rebate - Now $5 was $3
- Changed Reserved Parking - Now common, was uncommon
- Changed Lucky Cat - Now gains X0.25 per lucky proc, was X0.2
- Changed Trading card - Now costs $6, was $5
- Changed Campfire - Now gains X0.25 per card sold, was X0.5
- Changed Smily Face - Now give +5 mult per face card, was +4 mult
- Changed Golden Ticket - Now payes out $4 per gold card played, was $3
- Changed Bloodstone - Now has a 1 in 2 chance to proc, was 1 in 3
- Changed Onyx Agate - Now gives +7 mult per club card, was +8 mult
- Changed Glass Joker - Now gives X0.75 mult per glass card destroyed, was X0.5 mult
- Changed Stuntman - Now gives +250 Chips, was +300
- Changed Invisible Joker - Now requires 2 rounds and costs $8, was 3 rounds and $10
- Changed Burnt Joker - Now is rare, was uncommon
- Changed wording on most scaling jokers to refer to 'this joker'

- Fixed bug where opening a booster pack with hand size of 0 was unskippable
- Fixed bug where the card generated by 'Certificate' was not being debuffed by the boss

Thoughts:

Happy about : First shop with a guaranteed Buffoon pack, buffs to tags, buffs to the planet cards, banning certain blinds on challenges (just ran into Verdant on Non-Perishable but I had so much flat mult that I won anyway), other various buffs.

Meh about : Campfire, Banner, dunno why the sinful jokers and Onyx were nerfed. It's a 25% nerf for those sinful jokers.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Relyssa posted:

Hanged Man is a card I really did not give enough attention early on. If you want to dupe the good stuff you have to remove the not good stuff as well.

You can even effectively use them during a round as an additional draw 2 effect--delete the two cards you don't want, play/discard five cards, and you'll draw seven. It's one of the few tarot cards I'll almost always pick up when it's on sale as a singleton.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

quiggy posted:

You can even effectively use them during a round as an additional draw 2 effect--delete the two cards you don't want, play/discard five cards, and you'll draw seven. It's one of the few tarot cards I'll almost always pick up when it's on sale as a singleton.

Ooh I hadn't considered that as a use case.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
A ton of buffs (especially to blinds, those buffs are ENORMOUS, $25 investment and free polychromes???) but a huge % of my higher difficulty wins leaned on campfire and vampire so we'll see if game ends up easier or harder.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

No Wave posted:

A ton of buffs (especially to blinds, those buffs are ENORMOUS, $25 investment and free polychromes???) but a huge % of my higher difficulty wins leaned on campfire and vampire so we'll see if game ends up easier or harder.

I think Throwback and Hologram have been my biggest carry cards so far. Vampire is great but I've never been able to live the dream of pairing it with midas mask or some such.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Throwback is great but I do feel like you gotta be careful with it. It feels best as like a capstone joker, because if your build isn't quite there yet you really don't wanna be skipping a ton of shops.

Hologram just slaps though. Especially with the booster pack changes, it's just so cheap to get that xmult now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Do more jokers unlock at some point or. I just having awful luck? I feel like I'm stalling out a lot. I barely see anything with multiplicative scaling and the stuff I see with additive scaling seems super specific. Is the voucher to increase the rate of planet or tarot cards in the shop a trap?