Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

ProperCauldron posted:

that's the goal. You rip open the bag, food spoils faster, you gotta buy more food. Helps them clear inventory and secure future sales. That's the type of poo poo I hate about our era.

The last time I bought a bag of frozen mixed veggies the plastic bags were so thin and lovely that they would tear when removed from the cardboard boxes they ship in. The front faced bags ripped before they even left the shelf!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

ProperCauldron posted:

that's the goal. You rip open the bag, food spoils faster, you gotta buy more food. Helps them clear inventory and secure future sales. That's the type of poo poo I hate about our era.

Like how many snack foods have the OPEN HERE on the reverse side of the nutrition label. It's by design so the consumer immediately ruins the government-mandated part of the product that explains how unhealthy it is.

Those bastards. I just assumed the deli was incompetent. You should see what their chicken looks like. Rotisserie chicken looks like beef jerky. I've never seen such shameful chickens.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

The last time I bought a bag of frozen mixed veggies the plastic bags were so thin and lovely that they would tear when removed from the cardboard boxes they ship in. The front faced bags ripped before they even left the shelf!

Yeah, I meant to post itt that plastic is worse now. Recycling bags tear if you look at them.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, I meant to post itt that plastic is worse now. Recycling bags tear if you look at them.

What is a plastic recycling bag?

Fishmasher
Apr 22, 2002
all of my old console controllers still work fine. even 10+ year old ones that shipped with the console.

i used the original ps2 controller for almost 20 years.

the last 3 dualshock 4s we bought all developed stick drift or something within a few months and i've heard other consoles have the problem too.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Google music was too good, but YouTube ads made them more money so they killed the former. That's about it

It wasn't even that good. It was just better than everything else and that bar is REAL loving low. iTunes 6.5 was a substantially better music player / library manager in every way and is almost old enough to drink...

The state of music players right now is dire. It's absolutely abysmal. There are a couple that are smaller open source projects that thankfully have picked up this mantel of being 'not poo poo', but the players integrated into services are all complete dogshit.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 7, 2024

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m using my old iPod Nano for as long as it works and dread finding a dumb alternative. I use it every night to get to sleep with audiobooks.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Three quarters of the produce I deliver ends up loose in the totes because they've made the produce bags so thin that the stem from literally any vegetable rips them open in transit, so I get to hand bomb individual loving tomatoes or avocados or w/e into the customer's bag. Looks really, really good to the customers!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This is nothing new in the world of deceptive packaging, but I noticed that Ritz crackers are now in smaller wrapped packages, a smaller box overall, and the marketing term for this is "FRESH STACKS." No, you're not being ripped off, you're gettin' FRESH STACKS.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

They've been selling those for at least 7 years, they still sell the original box.

The fresh stacks box has smaller sleeves so they don't go stale if you don't eat them that quick. You pay for this option but it hasn't replaced the original boxing at least not here

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

mawarannahr posted:

What is a plastic recycling bag?

A plastic bag this is designed to decay into microplastics.

As opposed to all the other plastic bags, which decay into microplastics on their own.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

A plastic bag this is designed to decay into microplastics.

As opposed to all the other plastic bags, which decay into microplastics on their own.
You should not be bagging your recyclables, at least not anywhere I have heard of.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

mawarannahr posted:

You should not be bagging your recyclables, at least not anywhere I have heard of.

It's not for bagging recyclables, it's designed so the bag itself decays when you throw it away.

They suck, and they have a shelf life of about 6 months. After which you go to grab a bag and it crumbles in your hand.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's not for bagging recyclables, it's designed so the bag itself decays when you throw it away.

They suck, and they have a shelf life of about 6 months. After which you go to grab a bag and it crumbles in your hand.

Wait, you're not the op :thunk:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Wendigee posted:

They've been selling those for at least 7 years, they still sell the original box.

The fresh stacks box has smaller sleeves so they don't go stale if you don't eat them that quick. You pay for this option but it hasn't replaced the original boxing at least not here
They shrinkflated them in Aus. We don't have 'fresh stacks', it was just straight up a smaller box, I believe it was almost one third smaller.
It pissed me off to the point that I don't buy them now unless they're on sale.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

It is extremely common to bag recyclables. Usually in those places "normal" garbage will be put in opaque bags while recycling is in clear bags.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

When did non-budget airlines stop giving out free meals? I was on a 5-hour flight yesterday from 10:30 am to 6:30 pm (timezone change), and then a second flight from 7:30 to 11:30, and neither flight gave us more than a bag of pretzels and some juice. These were both on American Airlines, which used to at least give you something if you were flying at meal time.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

VikingofRock posted:

When did non-budget airlines stop giving out free meals? I was on a 5-hour flight yesterday from 10:30 am to 6:30 pm (timezone change), and then a second flight from 7:30 to 11:30, and neither flight gave us more than a bag of pretzels and some juice. These were both on American Airlines, which used to at least give you something if you were flying at meal time.

At least 15 years ago. I don't think I've ever gotten a free inflight meal from a US carrier on a domestic flight.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

VikingofRock posted:

I feel like that's been standard on domestic US flights for at least a decade if not more.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
A 10 hour international flight earlier this year wanted to charge $5 for a cup of drip coffee and god knows for a tiny plate of petri dish extrusion.

I'm bringing a Thermos full of food next time, gently caress that poo poo.

Anyone remember the golden age of aviation in the 90s and early 00s? Full hot meals included in every flight and still somehow cheaper with less competition.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

~Coxy posted:

I don't see how that tracks; iPhone was released in 2007 as a niche toy for rich Mac users, the first iPhone that was truly better than any other phone was 2009, and nobody was giving their kids an equivalent device until iPads became a commodity in 2011 at the very earliest.

(arguably 2012-2013, since that's when the first generation of wide adoption would have started buying their second generation of devices, and passing down their previous devices to their kids.)

To continue this talk for a small moment longer: Around 2007-2009, before smartphones and tablets were a big deal, there were some other low-cost mobile internet options as public wifi was starting to spread.

The mid-late 00s had something of a big boom on lots of schools pushing towards renting every student a laptop. Low-cost netbooks were very popular for a while until tablets. The DS and PSP also eventually had internet browser capabilities, too. I would even suggest that given the popularity of the 3DS that it might have seen a lot of use as the 'mobile internet for kids' device before they got smartphones.

Admittedly, that's all a far cry from the widespread cellular data and touchscreens of iPhones.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Outrail posted:

A 10 hour international flight earlier this year wanted to charge $5 for a cup of drip coffee and god knows for a tiny plate of petri dish extrusion.

I'm bringing a Thermos full of food next time, gently caress that poo poo.

Anyone remember the golden age of aviation in the 90s and early 00s? Full hot meals included in every flight and still somehow cheaper with less competition.

I would not necessarily describe that as the golden age of aviation for everybody

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
I don't have a label for what went wrong.
But it feels like something went wrong and lead to the Aesthetics wiki existing?

https://aesthetics.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Aesthetics

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
golden age of aviation was everyone smoking on overseas flights

that was.. something

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Apparently in the 70s you could pay for your flight while ON the flight

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

But it feels like something went wrong and lead to the Aesthetics wiki existing?

No entry for Fartpunk? Hardly a comprehensive resource.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Back when the first iphone was released i had my fingers crossed that the mystery announcement was for a macbook mini. There was a 2-in-1 design that was making the rounds that looked so great

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Tumblr is the answer. It did a world of good by slapping people in the face that the patriarchy's approach to identity and gender are completely wrong and basically sparked a civil rights movement, but the basically unmoderated tagging system and communities also led to some of the most insular echo chambers that helped already unwell people bloom a whole garden of mental illnesses and social issues. For clarity, when I'm talking negative i mean things pro-ana and much much worse - it was essentially a 4chan dungeon in the basement of a civic center

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 8, 2024

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Pro-ana and hyperniche aesthetics predate tumblr, unfortunately.

Fishmasher posted:

hardly a new thought, but youtube gets shittier every day

i clicked ONE innocent video of how to put a horseshoe on a horse, now it's covered in poo poo like "worst and grossest animal feet injuries of all time!" stupid poo poo just squirting everywhere all over the thumbnails, gently caress youtube

yeah i can pause and wipe my watch history, but negative/shock/extremist engagement algorithms need to die for the good of mankind
AaaaAAAAAAA I like trying to find makeup reviews so I’m not spending a night out on a makeup palette that is colored chalk and it’s three maybe legit videos and then the grossest extraction videos that have nothing to do with the topic. That poo poo makes me queasy

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My main use of incognito mode is avoiding youtube making this topic a thing.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
While we're complaining I miss when coke and similar came in 1 and 1.5 liter glass bottles. The transition happened here in the late 80s or early 90s. I remember thinking the drinks in the plastic bottles tasted worse and I was around 10, still don't like it and I watched this youtube which brought it all back again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n15VAcpuAI

It's just so sad, being 10 years old and already thinking that things used to be better. At least there are still cans and small bottles.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Coke started using corn syrup as their sweetener since 1984. New coke was likely a way to make the switch more palatable than it otherwise would have been by giving a really awful product then going back to classic formula.

If you want good coke check out Mexican coke. Still uses cane sugar.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Popoto posted:

what we actually need is for macOS and Windows to show you ads while your computer boots up, ideally 15 to 30 seconds videos. who wouldn't want to be entertained instead of staring at a rotating loading circle? you might say your computer boots too fast for that to be possible, but I'm sure there is a way to fix that problem. phones should also serve you banner ads in between the notifications, so you can stay informed on recent innovative concepts and products!

looking forward to troubleshooting the advertising delivery software so I can get a computer to boot

SpazForPickles
Oct 7, 2005
I was at a restaurant recently and they had TVs for sports and stuff. I was kinda watching one when there was a commercial for some old person life insurance.

The monthly cost for the plan was $14.88.

Surely that's a coincidence, right? Right??

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

SpazForPickles posted:

I was at a restaurant recently and they had TVs for sports and stuff. I was kinda watching one when there was a commercial for some old person life insurance.

The monthly cost for the plan was $14.88.

Surely that's a coincidence, right? Right??

Yeah probably

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What could that shirt mean ?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Houle posted:

Coke started using corn syrup as their sweetener since 1984. New coke was likely a way to make the switch more palatable than it otherwise would have been by giving a really awful product then going back to classic formula.

If you want good coke check out Mexican coke. Still uses cane sugar.

I'm from europe so all coke here has always used sugar, but honestly I prefer diet and zero.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'm all for reading too much into things, but $14.88 is actually a tricky one - it's basically the closest you can get to $20 where it still feels like $10 at first glance. Any higher and most customers mentally round up and that might put you out of a price bracket you're trying to stay in. You'll see it all the time, especially at price-sensitive places like walmart

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think you mean 14.99

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

euphronius posted:

What could that shirt mean ?

i think it's just ancient viking symbols

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Guy likes lightning and waffles. What's the big deal????