Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Handsome Ralph posted:

:emptyquote:

I wanna get my scuba cert knocked out at some point for basic rear end rec diving, but anything beyond that, no thank you. And honestly I don't even know if I'll be able to thanks to sinus issues.

I think the only exception I have to nothing beyond basic rec diving is that I'd like to go on one of those dive tours of the sunken Imperial German fleet at Scapa Flow at some point.

I'd still recommend the Advanced class for skills development and nitrox for comfort and extended bottom time, once you're comfortable with the basics. They're easy to do and I definitely found that I was hooked and eager for more after my first dive.

A rescue cert is also a great idea if you end up diving a lot. It's physically grueling because it's a lot of swimming and dragging people through the water and up onto a beach, but not _difficult_ per se. And first aid training is never a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
diving is really cool, but I think I'll stay firmly on land and watch cool videos of diving instead :)

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I went diving in a cenote- the large freshwater cave systems that dot Mexico’s Yucatán Peninsula. As far as cave diving goes, it was easy mode- two dive masters for a group of four, no squeezes, and never further than 50 yards from an air source. Swimming through a halocline (where freshwater meets saltwater) was cool, but this was pretty much a one and done thing for me.

When I was 22, some friends and I explored this cave- aptly named Hell Hole. I didn’t even do the 90’ rope into a pit but I did do all of the squeezes up top. We made it out unscathed and were pretty stoked on the adventure (we had spent months searching for the entrance) , but a few weeks later I watched the film “The Descent” and had a deep, long think about what could happen to a few inexperienced stoners whose safety plan extended as far as “let’s bring our bike helmets.” I decided I was done with hardcore caving at that point.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Kesper North posted:

nitrox for comfort and extended bottom time,

Heehee

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Our college scuba club loaded up so many innuendos for the club shirts that the school forbade us from putting their logo on anything we made.

Highlights:

“The deeper you go, the better it feels!” Written on a dive flag

Certified to penetrate
-wreck silhouette with a card that has “WRECK DIVER” barely legible on it

Get wet and go deep!
-background: angler fish

Honorable mentions:

Pic: a diver with 2 tanks on their bank
Caption: going down on twins

Pic: a tank
Caption: turn me on and suck me dry

Pic: a smiling bubble
Caption: keep blowing me

Pic: a mask
Caption: just spit on it

Pic: a dive table with a tec diver breaking it
Caption: putting the D in NDL!

Caption only: divers do it in the water

I mean, I get it. I guess :laffo:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

E: lol

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Just figured we’d get a DP after one full of double entendres.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

omg lol. "extended bottom time" indeed

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Bunch of wet bottom nerds itt.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

I did some MWR diving in a German pond when we got back from Afghanistan. They had a knotted rope attached to a buoy that you could use to descend. At the bottom was a skeleton in a beach chair giving a thumbs-up. It was a diving club near Heidelberg.

I remember the most novel thing being that it was cool you can stay underwater so long with air and not drown.

Saturation diving sounds scary as hell. Doesn’t that job have one of the lowest life expectancies? I heard they end up with novel health problems as they age as well.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Cave diving in subnatica gave me anxiety. I’m good, thanks.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

but caves are where all of the best treasure is!!!

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Thought you'd all like this with the diving talk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiZd5yBWvYY it's how NASA tests spacesuits underwater.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Naramyth posted:

Cave diving in subnatica gave me anxiety. I’m good, thanks.

Try playing it in VR. Even the shallows ramp up to terrifying super quickly.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
X, the everything app is doing great.

:tif:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Elviscat posted:

I think everything underwater has to be divers, probably with umbilicals for air and heat, and yeah, imagine cutting pieces of bridge apart that could fall on you, or spring, or get tangled in your umbilicals.....

That's a rough job right there.

I’m not an Underwater Dude but I’m worried as poo poo about springing back.

This poo poo is difficult as hell when it’s easy geometric shapes that took months on a computer.

Weird unplanned shapes underwater? Whatever they are paying, it’s not enough.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

There is one other option, but no one's brave enough to contemplate it

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

For a second I thought you wherr gonna suggest using nukes.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

That’s the only way to be sure.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/s...41b8f7714&ei=13

quote:

In his sentencing memo Thursday, U.S. District Judge Cormac J. Carney made it clear why he was letting Tyler Laube off lightly.

It wasn’t just because of what Laube did or didn’t do – the defendant had already confessed to beating a journalist at a 2017 Southern California rally and pleaded guilty to violating riot laws as part of a white-supremacist gang.

Laube deserved a light sentence, Carney said, because prosecutors should have focused on leftist groups.

In a 22-page memo, Carney repeatedly said prosecutors have “ignored” violence committed by Antifa and instead focused on targeting people like Laube — Trump supporters and members of the far-right.

“Sentencing Mr. Laube to additional incarceration would only increase the disparity between his punishment and the lack of punishment (and prosecution) members of far-left groups who have committed the same violent conduct received,” Carney wrote. The sentence: time served, 35 days, rather than the six months prosecutors had sought.

The same day Laube received his light sentence at the federal courthouse in Santa Ana, the largest-ever prosecution of members of Antifa in American history was going to trial just 89 miles away.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

Operation Plowshare deserves it's moment in the (canned) sun.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Half marathon.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Dude is fit as gently caress. Holy poo poo

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Im just imagining constant hydration

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

Half marathon.

I'm tired just looking at that picture

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Not pictured, an EMT riding on a moped 30 feet back with a 5 gallon water dispenser strapped to the back just waiting for the heat stroke to hit...

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

Half marathon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BqQn5vAcio

Same energy

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The chafing alone...

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

psydude posted:

The chafing alone...

The army instilled in me a vigorous dislike of running as an exercise to begin with.

Then I found out that serious marathon runners wear pasties because running too long makes your nipples bleed all over your shirt from the chafing what the gently caress is wrong with these people!?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I am pretty sure when you're running 42km you're clearly past the "exercise is good for you" stage and far into the "being a serious top-level athlete is just wrecking your body" stage.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Is anyone remotely surprised

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

bird food bathtub posted:

The army instilled in me a vigorous dislike of running as an exercise to begin with.

Then I found out that serious marathon runners wear pasties because running too long makes your nipples bleed all over your shirt from the chafing what the gently caress is wrong with these people!?

Hey let's run a race which is famously named because the first guy who ran it loving died from it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

I managed to rediscover running as a kind of meditation exercise later on. But the one thing I still can't loving stand is pushups.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

psydude posted:

I managed to rediscover running as a kind of meditation exercise later on. But the one thing I still can't loving stand is pushups.

The army donated me some hardware when it opened my feet, cut the bones, mushed them around a bit and then used plates and screws to keep them in their new shapes all because of running. I don't think I'll ever be able to enjoy it meditatively again so I'm absolutely biased when I always end up circling back around to my original question about runners, what the gently caress is wrong with these people?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

Half marathon.

i've seen motherfuckers like this in every race i've ever run (all three)

i'm never doing them again in part because that third race hosed up my hamstrings for a month and thoroughly scared me off long distance running but also running is really goddamn boring

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I feel real bad for those people that got rooms and went to Arkansas and Texas for the eclipse. Can't be me, though. There's not a single cloud in sight in New Hampshire, not even over mt. Washington.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Reading about these towns of 10,000 people expecting 200,000 visitors nearly gave me a panic attack. What a loving nightmare that's going to be.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Reading about these towns of 10,000 people expecting 200,000 visitors nearly gave me a panic attack. What a loving nightmare that's going to be.

It's a mixed blessing. A lot of these towns see only seasonal business, and the eclipse represents an out of season influx of cash that won't cannibalize their regular economy. Also, while it will be a headache, it'll only be a one day headache.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Running sucks, almost any other form of aerobic exercise is better. What I really want is a place to swim :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tiny Timbs posted:

Skill issue.

I would simply not settle a town in the path of a cosmic event predictable centuries in advance.