Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

ArmyGroup303 posted:

The Quasar has been a great *alternative* to Sir Carl.

The biggest downside for me and the Quasar is the charge up. There are many times I need to fire a heavy AT shot *loving now* and the boot time for Quasar can be fatal. Distance means safety for Quasar gunners. In close up engagements, having to dance while holding down the fire button to charge and shoot a single shot sucks to do. I mean, c'mon my sights are on target, loving shoot already!

Related to that is the Quasar's flinch, which feels more severe than the recoilless. I've killed myself plenty of times by accident by shooting the cover i was next while taking bot fire that the recoilless ignores.

Reload times with the recoilless was managed by tried-and-true shoot and displace tactics. Granted, the Quasar can do this too while it's not equipped, but the point is solo recoilless reloads are manageable.

And if you being buddy loaded (remember this is a team game), the recoilless rate of fire is superior to the Quasar.

Both heavies are effective, high-power, democracy dispensing platforms.

Thank you for enunciating how i feel several times over. Quasar is my goto support weapon for bug missions and I prefer AC or recoilless for bots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I want buddyload for all weapons even if it's just a morale-boosting shoulder tap everytime they reload their breaker

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

laser weapon buddyload where you just blow on it like it's hot soup

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

The main "bad player" experience that puts a lovely taste in my mouth are the finger wagging dudes who try to tell you how to play the game. I had a game last night on Blitz where we assaulted a base on Durgen. To the west was a huge rock formation bisecting the map and cutting us off from extract. The base was mostly done but had one fabricator left over. I was pinned down by a tank and a bunch of poo poo, as was another player.

The other two had got through the place and continued on. That is fine but when I died, I was brought back down with the other guy who was pinned down behind this base. A sandstorm came in. We had a choice to try deal with the stuff in front of us with what we had, or turn around and hike up the other empty half of the map despite the objective not being completed.

All of this happened in a couple of minutes, and the timer was already running quite low.

One of the two who managed to complete the objective, then started to berate us saying the mission was much harder than it needed to be thanks to us. We had to turn around and try hike up the empty half of the map because we seemed to both be on cooldown and didnt have the poo poo to deal with a tank and a ton of devastators to push through.

Timer runs out, the moaner dies and starts complaining again. He starts to lecture us about how this is a short timer blitz mission and not one for trying to clear the whole map, all sorts of stuff. My suggestion in chat that leaving half the team pinned behind enemy lines isn't a good idea if you also want help dealing with the objective didn't go down well.

I'd rather be teamkilled or kicked for whatever reason rather than listen to some dork blame me for something he clearly had no idea was happening 300m behind him.

edit: this is with pubs, obviously. I play with goons mostly and have a great time with them, clear comms and not getting left to die in the dirt and then blamed for it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I unlocked the Dominator, and in one game against bots I felt like I was running a peashooter and even the smallest robros were standing there and not falling over or dying when I shot them. I don't know if it was bugged or I was doing something wrong, but it felt literally broken. Wish we had some kind of firing range where guns could be tested so I'm not locked into a 20+ minute game with only one primary to play with, and no way to change it mid-battle.

Also the buddy loading... I've only ever done it twice, when I saw a fellow Autocannon enthusiast and decided to load for them unasked. Didn't realise you end up kinda sorta sticking to them a bit. Neither did they. If they turned to the left, I got dragged around with them a little bit. But if they turned to the right it can break the magnetism and then suddenly I'm standing right in front of the Autocannon's muzzle.

I've only buddy loaded twice, but one of those times it got me friendly fired, and the other time it only didn't happen because they turned the other way. Still going to try it a third time because I'm dumb but on top of the needing to have a backpack the chances for it to go wrong seem painfully high (for the AC at least).

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The dominator or the penetrator? The dominator one-shots little bots any where, but it can be hard to hit because you're firing a little rocket, it's a bolter from 40k. The penetrator is like any other rifle except it can penetrate medium armour for gently caress all damage, it's a giant piece of poo poo unless you hit head shots every time.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I tried the pre-nerf Slugger and didn't like it. Tried the Dominator and didn't like it either. I just keep returning to the Defender because, I think?, it is the primary that handles best, which ultimately makes it the most accurate for me.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

also helldivers.io is really cool... does anyone know if they written about how they're getting the data? i assume they're like screenscrapping their game on steam or something but i think you need to hover over the planets to get the data, right?

Dunno if this has been answered, but they are probably just snooping on API calls somewhere

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I like that EATs, Quasar and Recoilless seem in a pretty good place compared to each other- they all do the same job (kill big poo poo easy) but have different trade offs for uptime, rate of fire and lack of backpack for RR. And thus it becomes personal preference without having a clear best! Very good.

Quasar can still kill Bile Titans with one headshot for whoever was wondering, but it can be finicky.

I tried the Dominator for the first time, against bugs. It very much seems like you want to use it against slightly bigger stuff like the Brood Commanders and Hive Guard where its lack of handling isn't as big a deal, and you can punch through their armour. 3-4 headshots kills a hive guard which is very nice. But then you'll want the guard dog for the little stuff for sure.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

fatelvis posted:

Dunno if this has been answered, but they are probably just snooping on API calls somewhere

Inspecting for pro bug-propaganda to report it to the relevent democracy officer

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

All of the machineguns seem pretty bad honestly. They feel like their use case is mostly situations that happen so rarely that an eagle cluster bomb will always be available and more efficient, or they're like the HMG and I don't know what they're for at all.

imo the game feels like it could use some sort of variation in enemy composition/spawn rates that are advertised to the players ahead of time so some operations could have something like significantly more frequent spawns and fewer heavies in order to give something like the stalwart a reason to exist

The MGs aren't bad - or at least when fighting bugs. They just mean you need to heavily rely on your strategems and team more for anti-heavy work.

For the heavy MG you just need to use it in very short bursts. Turn down the rof to 450, crouch, and basically just single/double tap everything smaller than a charger. You can do this quickly enough to keep up with a bug breach until you need to reload. For chargers you can blow off the butt pretty drat fast at close range - pretty much the only time you should be spraying it.

Of course it still has a super long reload and the small mag size means you can't really afford to use higher ROF settings or spray like you do with the other MGs, so it's not particularly strong either. They'll also all get you annihilated by bots as they're not accurate enough to deal with stuff at range, not good at staggering heavy/rocket devastators (who will decimate you in return), and the long reload time can be a big problem.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Apr 8, 2024

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

turn off the TV posted:

imo the game feels like it could use some sort of variation in enemy composition/spawn rates that are advertised to the players ahead of time so some operations could have something like significantly more frequent spawns and fewer heavies in order to give something like the stalwart a reason to exist

There's "warnings" on the deploy screen about heavily armored enemies but it's basically meaningless since that'ts true for literally every mission. But yeah I'd love to see some vague mutator descriptions because it certainly seems like one game it's Bile Titan central while the next is "Oops all spitters" despite having identical briefing warnings.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Will also chime in that the Quasar is my preferred support weapon for bugs, unlimited killing power every 12 seconds? and I don't even have to stand still to reload it? yes please, when you dodge a charger they will turn around and face you for the one shot just as it finishes charging.

Firing it off is even more expendable than the expendable anti-tanks,
Out of grenades to plug a hole? Quasar.
Shrieker nest or Spore tower across the map? Quasar.
Brood Commander minding it's own business? Quasar.

Can just alternate between the sickle and quasar as the other cools off without ever having to reload or suck up ammo or ever be in a situation where you have no ammo left and are waiting for the resupply cooldown or the sweet release of death.

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons

Video Nasty posted:

I got matched on bug missions with the most dogshit partners who killed me twice in a row with bombing runs right when I redeployed and I left 19 samples way back away from where they ultimately fought three bugholes and ran out of reinforcements :mad:

It pays to drop your samples off at extraction

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

I got a shove from a pubbie right at the start of a mission tonight. My friend and I didn't recognize his name from any other missions we played before. So I charged up my quasar to give him an honorable death and he predictably killed me. I kicked him. Weird bout of pointless hostility in what has otherwise been an ocean of friendly pubbies but i'm sure i did something to deserve it (bad posting).

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons

Astrochicken posted:

I got a shove from a pubbie right at the start of a mission tonight. My friend and I didn't recognize his name from any other missions we played before. So I charged up my quasar to give him an honorable death and he predictably killed me. I kicked him. Weird bout of pointless hostility in what has otherwise been an ocean of friendly pubbies but i'm sure i did something to deserve it (bad posting).

Were you wearing the creek cape? Supposedly there is a contingent of players butt mad over it.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
I've been the "bad" player before, I melee'd a dude who was lining a shot with a RR, supposedly in 1st person as he wasn't reacting to the supply drop beacon literally under his torso, with seconds to spare I melee'd him and watched as his ragdolling body flops down the small Rock face as the supply drop lands where he was mere moments before.

It was the coolest/funniest thing I'd seen in a while and the guy didn't retaliate or say anything, so even though I felt kinda bad about springing that on him, I think he understood i saved a reinforcement point at the cost of 1 stim

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fishstick posted:

There's "warnings" on the deploy screen about heavily armored enemies but it's basically meaningless since that'ts true for literally every mission. But yeah I'd love to see some vague mutator descriptions because it certainly seems like one game it's Bile Titan central while the next is "Oops all spitters" despite having identical briefing warnings.

The first two bug missions I played after just doing bots exclusively for a while, when I played the second mission I was like "oh yeah! Bile spewers!" because they weren't in the first mission at all.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Will also chime in that the Quasar is my preferred support weapon for bugs, unlimited killing power every 12 seconds? and I don't even have to stand still to reload it? yes please, when you dodge a charger they will turn around and face you for the one shot just as it finishes charging.

Firing it off is even more expendable than the expendable anti-tanks,
Out of grenades to plug a hole? Quasar.
Shrieker nest or Spore tower across the map? Quasar.
Brood Commander minding it's own business? Quasar.

Can just alternate between the sickle and quasar as the other cools off without ever having to reload or suck up ammo or ever be in a situation where you have no ammo left and are waiting for the resupply cooldown or the sweet release of death.

The Quasar is great - if your team is handling poo poo well and you're only fighting one big thing at a time... It rapidly goes to not particularly good if your team is struggling to control space / angles.

The spool time makes it the opposite of clutch in hectic situations like BT + Multiple Chargers / Spewer Artillery or Multiple Hulks + Heavy Devs... in those kinds of situations having someone else with EATs or a RR really helps keep the pressure manageable since they don't need to stand still for 3 seconds while lining up a shot.

But when everything is going smooth yeah, the ability to not give a poo poo about opportunity costs is amazing.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 8, 2024

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

almost1337 posted:

Were you wearing the creek cape? Supposedly there is a contingent of players butt mad over it.

i thought about that but i definitely wasn't wearing that gaudy rear end cape.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

the cape is the best

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I got used to the AC after using it for so many bot missions and I thought it'd tear through bugs but it doesn't seem worth the cost of taking up backpack space. If I'm going to take up backpack room I'd rather go Grenade Launcher + Supply. The Quasar is good but like Infidelicious said it's really not great unless you can be The Quasar Guy your team is creating space/time for. I did a 3-man mission where we all were running QCs againt bugs but it broke down without us calling our shots when it counted. A lot of wasted shots and very little suppressing fire.

All in all I think I'd rather go back to EATs plus shield/rover. If I die then yeah I lose the protection but I'm still a fighting force inside of ten seconds after I drop in. Or Arc, since I haven't played it with at all since the latest update to it.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Astrochicken posted:

i thought about that but i definitely wasn't wearing that gaudy rear end cape.

End this traitor

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

you discover something new every single day

https://i.imgur.com/8IM1Q06.mp4

sound always

Email Address
Sep 11, 2004

Don't mess with STAR WARS KID
I'm too attached to my Autocannon to regularly switch it out - but I really enjoyed using the Quasar in a group that already had AC users.

The few times I used a Quasar without an AC in the mix, I really felt the rate of fire issue. Like, sure it can close bug holes & blow up fabricators - but it's definitely not my first choice for that role.

I wish they would increase the magazine capacity for the HMG as I really love the sound of it at the lowest rate of fire, but it's just more hassle than it's worth.

I would also accept an oversized bayonet for stylish melee tomfoolery.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Email Address posted:

I would also accept an oversized bayonet for stylish melee tomfoolery.

Looking at your avatar and also knowing that this game is already clearing drawing inspiration from Star Wars, I think we all know what melee weapon the game needs to add.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

The bayonet was one of the first unlocks from Helldivers 1.

It wasn’t very useful and much like HD2, melee was never a great option.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I’m gonna be gone the rest of the day so I figured I’d hop on and complete the personal order, but I didn’t have time for 3 regular missions. So I figured I’d see how quickly I could solo 3 Trivials. The answer is extremely quickly if you choose propaganda tower missions. With a bit of luck you can land on the tower and finish the main objective before you even emerge from the pod.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I wish there was a firing range to test out all the different weapons.

Sometimes I mix it up and bring something I know isn't going to be great on a mission, just to test it out.

CelticPredator posted:

you discover something new every single day

https://i.imgur.com/8IM1Q06.mp4

sound always

:dudsmile:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

runchild posted:

I’m gonna be gone the rest of the day so I figured I’d hop on and complete the personal order, but I didn’t have time for 3 regular missions. So I figured I’d see how quickly I could solo 3 Trivials. The answer is extremely quickly if you choose propaganda tower missions. With a bit of luck you can land on the tower and finish the main objective before you even emerge from the pod.

most of the trivial maps are so small that you can just blow the tower up from extraction

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That new booster that reduces extraction time is going to be pretty useful for basic farming missions because on levels 1 or 2 you can get through things super quickly but you still have to contend with waiting around for Pelican 1.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

I enjoy meleeing the little june bugs as a show of my patriotic fervor.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAYot6YZsr0

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Infinitum posted:

I wish there was a firing range to test out all the different weapons.

Sometimes I mix it up and bring something I know isn't going to be great on a mission, just to test it out.

:dudsmile:

one mission's field experience taught me tonight that the arc blitzer shotgun is AMAZING against bugs and that the heavy machine gun is super earth's most expensive paper weight!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Astrochicken posted:

one mission's field experience taught me tonight that the arc blitzer shotgun is AMAZING against bugs and that the heavy machine gun is super earth's most expensive paper weight!

Did they buff that shotgun recently? I have a strong memory of people hating it.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Someone posted a while back about how if you’re at the same height as the bile titan the arc thrower oneshots it.

I’ve given this a single try and it didn’t work but has anyone tried charging up a shot, using the jump pack, and firing at the BT? It seems like it could work. When I tried it I may have been out of range or it may have missed because it’s an unscoped shot.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

Loving how broad the game is right now. :smith: A couple of weeks ago I was already grumpy about the lack of biome choice. Little did I know we had a veritable smorgasbord of available planets and enemy types compared to this poo poo.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dude wait like a day and there'll be more planets and possibly an entirely new faction.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
Dude, man, I am waiting. The net result is I'm just playing other games than the one I want to be playing. Maybe I've been weirdly sheltered from this particular style of live service content delivery before, I feel like everyone's behaving as if it's normal. Are you seriously saying you can't see how this could be irritating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I feel it must be a universal experience to come across that little farming operation POI where there's some ammo and a common sample at the far end of it but picking up the sample always takes like two or three tries because it's nestled in among a couple barrels.