Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/7/04

Brenda Starr 12/22-24/52

Smokey Stover 10/23/60

Everyday Movies 6/1/37

"Grandma's still in bed, but I'm keeping the window open so she won't miss the nice June smells and sounds."

That's a cool angle to draw the picture from.

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 6/21-23/43

Closer Than We Think! 10/23/60

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd say something about how the seal is kinda looking like "hello ladies" but it's actually just as valid for the stock image. Though I do like how you can tell that Jules just gave up at the net.

Julet Esqu posted:

Also, the "two fists of justice" are best enjoyed as a seasoning, not a main dish, and should never be directly mentioned by name.
Particularly not if you hardly ever portray Mark Trail as a rugged fight-for-what's-right guy and more as a guy who runs sensitivity workshops for men and drives away from the cops.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I do feel a little ghoulish for all the jokes I've made about this plotline, and actually seeing it executed does remind me that for all of her many flaws, Lynn has a solid eye for detail in panels. It's a fairly economical and shocking way to have this happen in just three panels and would likely accurately capture the "WAIT, gently caress" nature of the suddenness you'd feel in the moment. I do have to give her that, like when we got the recap of Lisa's Cancer arc. It does show how and why this whole strip got popular.

Hhhhowever. April was never real, Lynn never needed to write this arc, it's abundantly and plainly clear just how many points of failure and neglect it took to get to this point (rather frankly too, without advanced knowledge you'd think this is Ellie and John and everyone learning a lesson about not being complacent or lasseiz-faire about having multiple kids) and this is just pure "making up a child to get mad at for literal decades" so LET'S loving GOOOOOOOO

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Lynn is a lot of things but to her credit as an author I'll say she's often quite interesting, even if flawed. I haven't paid attention to FOOB much so I'm quite curious where this goes. :allears:

This Mexikid stories feels like a particularly meaningful core memory origin story. Cholas: the beginning of my attraction to strong, aggressive women. :allears: :allears:

Still catching up on my Corto and Blueberry I gotta say wow, an "it was all a dream" that meaningfully wove that into continuing the story. Cool! And boy is Blueberry red hot. I'm already looking up collections online. I got excited reading that story set-up about the dueling train companies... I love cowboy stories so much. :3:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0nYKgkFvMM

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Aug. 19, 1962)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:suspense: I have never been aware of this arc of FOOB. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it was not that.

E: Congratulations, Val, you brought home a bullshit artist.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I immediately think of Andy Daly's first appearance as Danny Mahoney on Comedy Bang Bang - "I've heard there's a moment before you drown that is just euphoric. So, I wanted that."

Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Rose Is Rose

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I can't say I'm surprised. The strip being posted in a consistent schedule in this thread, rather than sporadically catching it in newspapers, shows a consistent pattern of FOOB mom being negligent when it comes to April's safety. April constantly gets out of the house without any adult supervision, and has even snuck into places that could have hurt her, like the time she slept in the neighbor's dog's shed. The toddler falling into the river feels like a logical endpoint to no one being around to keep an eye on her.

Though given the reaction of the others in this thread, I get the feeling this is about to get a lot stupider. And that FOOB Mom is not going to learn any lessons from this.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Global Pandemic Funnies, Featuring Lionesses Making Funny Faces

I won't lie I do like the "8O".

BEAVER WAKE UP APRIL IS DROWNING YOU CAN SAVE HER

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 10/23/60

I don't know, I think scientists in 1960 already had a pretty good guess about the Moon's barometric pressure and wind speed.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(6/1/1994)

(6/2/1994)

Ziggy

(11/11/1971)

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

There is a je ne sais quoi about all 3 faces in panel 2 of FOOB being identical in composition. Wide eyes, oval nose, triangle mouth.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I have been enjoying Frank and Ernest but I think it's just the stupid expressions the characters make like...they are manically happy to deliver a lovely pun joke and I can respect it, even if it's kinda ugly drawings lol

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

amigolupus posted:

Though given the reaction of the others in this thread, I get the feeling this is about to get a lot stupider. And that FOOB Mom is not going to learn any lessons from this.
Is this before or after the whole "Threw my child out into a howling blizzard because they were being A Child and this is somehow Good Parenting" debacle?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Hostile V posted:

BEAVER WAKE UP APRIL IS DROWNING YOU CAN SAVE HER

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Is this before or after the whole "Threw my child out into a howling blizzard because they were being A Child and this is somehow Good Parenting" debacle?

Wait is that something she actually did, or something made up for the comic?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hostile V posted:

I do feel a little ghoulish for all the jokes I've made about this plotline, and actually seeing it executed does remind me that for all of her many flaws, Lynn has a solid eye for detail in panels. It's a fairly economical and shocking way to have this happen in just three panels and would likely accurately capture the "WAIT, gently caress" nature of the suddenness you'd feel in the moment. I do have to give her that, like when we got the recap of Lisa's Cancer arc. It does show how and why this whole strip got popular.

Hhhhowever. April was never real, Lynn never needed to write this arc, it's abundantly and plainly clear just how many points of failure and neglect it took to get to this point (rather frankly too, without advanced knowledge you'd think this is Ellie and John and everyone learning a lesson about not being complacent or lasseiz-faire about having multiple kids) and this is just pure "making up a child to get mad at for literal decades" so LET'S loving GOOOOOOOO

That interview where she was like "I had to figure out a way to kill this dog, it's too old" as if having Farley just die of old age wouldn't be it's own sort of Realistic Drama (something the strip was lauded for). Really makes me just kinda shake my head.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Breadmaster posted:

You can read the interview (with link to the actual child-throwing excerpt) here.

amigolupus fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 8, 2024

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Breadmaster posted:

Actual Lynn Behavior; luckily An Angel told her this was a bad idea after a few seconds. Without divine intervention she would've killed that kid.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

So I'm assuming that while Flash and Bok are about to get up to some action hero poo poo, Dale and Zarkov will be stopping a coup back at the palace.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Green Intern posted:

That interview where she was like "I had to figure out a way to kill this dog, it's too old" as if having Farley just die of old age wouldn't be it's own sort of Realistic Drama (something the strip was lauded for). Really makes me just kinda shake my head.

We had a dog die in her sleep of old age. It was a lot more traumatizing than you'd think because maybe she's just deep in sleep. No, in fact, she was not. The worst part was our city does pickup of such things, but the person we called said to just leave her in the gutter in front of our house. A hundred pound dog. And this was early morning, so all the kids in our neighborhood would walk by and see her on the way to school. Lucky for us, a neighbor was willing to pull her blanket out to the street when the pickup guys came because none of us would be home during the pickup window. I'd much prefer a vet as horrible as that is too.

Didn't Charles Schultz get really pissed at her for this arc too?

And sweet, Flash's dragon friend Bok has some clothes now!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Cowslips Warren posted:

We had a dog die in her sleep of old age. It was a lot more traumatizing than you'd think because maybe she's just deep in sleep. No, in fact, she was not. The worst part was our city does pickup of such things, but the person we called said to just leave her in the gutter in front of our house. A hundred pound dog. And this was early morning, so all the kids in our neighborhood would walk by and see her on the way to school. Lucky for us, a neighbor was willing to pull her blanket out to the street when the pickup guys came because none of us would be home during the pickup window. I'd much prefer a vet as horrible as that is too.

Didn't Charles Schultz get really pissed at her for this arc too?

And sweet, Flash's dragon friend Bok has some clothes now!

Did some digging and Wayback Machine had given me this article. Seems like that tidbit came from an author who wrote a tell-all biography of Schultz. But the way Schultz's son didn't like the biography and how some information was presented as facts makes me wonder if the part about Charles getting pissed at Lynn for this arc was even true at all.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I almost kinda wish we hadn't already spoiled the end of Farley because there's like four people on this page saying "I've never paid attention to FOOB, wonder where this is going" and I would have loved to see their reactions.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop lol is just moving on

Curtis

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

amigolupus posted:

Did some digging and Wayback Machine had given me this article. Seems like that tidbit came from an author who wrote a tell-all biography of Schultz. But the way Schultz's son didn't like the biography and how some information was presented as facts makes me wonder if the part about Charles getting pissed at Lynn for this arc was even true at all.

I found a Newsweek article with additional details:

quote:

When the cartoonist who drew "For Better or Worse" told him she was going to kill off a character Schulz liked, Schulz petulantly told her that if she did he would have Snoopy get hit by a car the same day her strip was to run, "and everybody will worry about Snoopy, and nobody's going to read your stupid story, and I'll get more publicity than you will!" That's the kind of anecdote that has deeply upset Schulz's family. They do not deny that it occurred, but feel Michaelis did not properly balance such stories with examples of Schulz's generosity.

Maybe he said it in jest! But still...that's a hell of a reaction.

I dug around about the book the last time it came up in the thread, about 9 months ago, and found another article where Schulz's daughter talked about her issues with the book where she literally went so far to describe him as "Christ-like". It seems that the family objected to the idea that their father be depicted as a real, multifaceted person - talented and caring, but occasionally aloof and prone to holding grudges, and oh yeah he had an affair with a woman 22 years his junior and proposed to her while simultaneously telling his wife that he wanted to save their marriage - rather than an unimpeachable avatar of light, warmth and wholesome Americana. I think I just need to read this drat book.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 11, 1936)

Peanuts (April 11, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (April 13-15, 1936)

Thimble Theater (November 11, 1940)

Out Our Way (May 29-31, 1944)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

CW: Dog death I have come home to small pets who passed away during the school day. It's loving miserable. A couple of years ago, my own little dog was getting old and had some ongoing neurological problems. Lots of pain, balance issues, and just a terrible quality of life. We ultimately contacted someone who did at-home euthanasia so we could say goodbye as peacefully as possible. It was still a life-altering experience, going through his old age, medical problems and then making the call to end his suffering. There's no perfect solution, and it's going to be up to what's best for the people and the animal in question though. I'm sorry that you had to go through the grief like that.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Lynn's going to throw a curveball and just have April die in these reruns and then start with brand new strips detailing what happens after this.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I can’t believe April is loving dead

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Just do it anyway, Marla. What's Stuart going to do, cry about it?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (January 26-30, 2006)

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 14, 2024

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(October 10, 1910)

Baron Bean(April 10, 1916)

Polly and Her Pals(March 10, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(December 1, 1919)

Barney Oldfield

Us Boys(April 8, 1912)

The Gumps(May 7, 1917)

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Wicked Gnomes

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"Really i protest-" is such a British way to go out

DC Money
Feb 24, 2007
I'm a fancy lad.

I spent valuable seconds of my day trying to figure out what the tube-shaped object was below april's waist in the middle panel until i finally realized that it is supposed to be legs (i was also looking at the black and white version in an actual honest-to-god newspaper). If you have to take time to try to figure out what the heck the "artist" is trying to draw that's a bad sign.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister