Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Are you suggesting something worse than United States can come from it?

Surely the United States wouldn't declare if we can't have it no one can and just utterly destroy human civilization in half an hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Lostconfused posted:

Are you suggesting something worse than United States can come from it?

You mean the country desperately clinging to multiple mythologized pasts?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

KomradeX posted:

Surely the United States wouldn't declare if we can't have it no one can and just utterly destroy human civilization in half an hour

Fascism is about protecting the wealth of the rich, and the US is no different, they need a world to be rich in. All the DC critters worshipping nuclear warheads at the end of the day still work for them.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

You mean the country desperately clinging to multiple mythologized pasts?

Yes that one, I assume you implied that there could be something worse than that.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
USA II, AKA UK III

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
by the time nuclear weapons are on the table all the nuclear launch infrastructure will have already been torn to pieces and sold off as scrap

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i think mao was wrong when he said nukes were paper tigers in 1946, but it is correct today. i don't think anyone is going to intentionally nuke anyone else because the world would end and that would lose them money. hell they wouldn't even let nixon start ww3 when he was blackout on gin at 3 am. not to say there will never be a nuclear war, though - i think it's possible there could be some accidental launch and everyone goes bananas

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hatebag posted:

i think mao was wrong when he said nukes were paper tigers in 1946, but it is correct today. i don't think anyone is going to intentionally nuke anyone else because the world would end and that would lose them money. hell they wouldn't even let nixon start ww3 when he was blackout on gin at 3 am. not to say there will never be a nuclear war, though - i think it's possible there could be some accidental launch and everyone goes bananas

There certainly won't be a nuclear war now since the president has to type out 200 random characters into a tiny phone keyboard in order to fire them off. If we ever get a president who's a master phone poster, well, hold on to your rear end.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Arven posted:

The non- union armorer was also a nepo baby!It hits every beat!

The actual take away from Rust is the dangers of putting poorly trained failkids in charge solely because of their parents clout and then ignoring the complaints of the workers who can see when things are busted.

And the fact that the only lesson learned is going to be 'more cgi guns' is why America will lose WW3

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m pretty sure USA ICBMs don’t work. or if they do launch they won’t go to the places they should

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

sullat posted:

There certainly won't be a nuclear war now since the president has to type out 200 random characters into a tiny phone keyboard in order to fire them off. If we ever get a president who's a master phone poster, well, hold on to your rear end.

Donald the Dove could do it, but he won't.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

sullat posted:

trump is an amazing poster and soon to be president again, but he'd have to put on his little glasses to read the launch codes and he is too vain to wear those, so i think we're safe for now

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Fascism is about protecting the wealth of the rich, and the US is no different, they need a world to be rich in. All the DC critters worshipping nuclear warheads at the end of the day still work for them.

I think its a mistake to put too much faith in that logic. Its no different than the logic of July 1914 insisting there wouldn't be a war because of Capitalism. On the one hand you have the ever looming prospect of China suplanting the US, which as things go forward I can see the return of people looking to Communism meaning there won't be a world safe for Capital. No matter how much China has put a leash on their rich people, they will always resent that and seek to undermine and destroy any limitations placed upon them. The very logic of Capital is to be the Lords of Ashes rather than compromise. On the other hand, as we wait the big movie set piece that will herald the changing of this thread title to the past tense, such as the sinking of a carrier how is the US military going to process that. My guess is not well or stable and then we're in for some serious poo poo.

Fascism is about protecting Capital above all else, but the death drive still meant in 1945 Germany didn't have a building over two stories tall. Now give them enough nukes to destroy the world, and the ability to use them in January 1945 and ask yourself what would have happened, that is America

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
yeah the issue with nukes is despite how remote the possibility of a nuclear war is, you can't disregard it because the repercussions are so extreme

i think certain brains have trouble with those kinda vague statistical scenarios though

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

I’m pretty sure USA ICBMs don’t work. or if they do launch they won’t go to the places they should

The US supplied UK nukes seem to keep wanting to nuke the continental US every time they're fired. The apocalypse will be cancelled because of a monumental cock-up when the target coordinates were accidentally zeroed during a botched maintenance op 2 decades ago and no one bothered to check it afterwards.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the sub launched nukes 100% don’t work. so what is left idk. strategic bombers probably work

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hatebag posted:

trump is an amazing poster and soon to be president again, but he'd have to put on his little glasses to read the launch codes and he is too vain to wear those, so i think we're safe for now

Hm, I wonder if the nuclear football is JAWS-enabled? At any rate, government publications are usually available in large-print so he should be OK.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

KomradeX posted:

I think its a mistake to put too much faith in that logic. Its no different than the logic of July 1914 insisting there wouldn't be a war because of Capitalism. On the one hand you have the ever looming prospect of China suplanting the US, which as things go forward I can see the return of people looking to Communism meaning there won't be a world safe for Capital. No matter how much China has put a leash on their rich people, they will always resent that and seek to undermine and destroy any limitations placed upon them. The very logic of Capital is to be the Lords of Ashes rather than compromise. On the other hand, as we wait the big movie set piece that will herald the changing of this thread title to the past tense, such as the sinking of a carrier how is the US military going to process that. My guess is not well or stable and then we're in for some serious poo poo.

Fascism is about protecting Capital above all else, but the death drive still meant in 1945 Germany didn't have a building over two stories tall. Now give them enough nukes to destroy the world, and the ability to use them in January 1945 and ask yourself what would have happened, that is America

In July 1914, all the capitalists and the monarchies they supported were safe in their capitals, and in the end while there was a re-shuffling of power, the capitalists (outside of Russia) were fine. China probably isn't going to be invading the rest of the world to end capitalism either, if anything, they are usually hands off outside of investment.

Nuclear war is just something capitalists can't really control because it is inherently unpredictable. If those tridents don't launch, and the Russian ICBMs do, what then?

If anything, Germany 1945 is a good example, in the East, the capitalists lost everything, in the West, their ill deeds during the war were largely ignored and expunged, and by 1947 the emphasis was to "get them back on their feet." Capitalists want assurances that they will be okay, and if the US can't provide that, the PRC/Iran/Russia/India etc will.

There will be dudes in the US losing their minds over a carrier going down or whatever, but at the end of the day, capitalists don't want to live in a world where there is uncertainty over their money.

-----

Think about it, capitalists are greedy and ruthless...but not particularly selfless or brave. They "worked" so hard precisely because they want to feel better than everyone else, and if they can't do that...because a world doesn't exist anymore, it is pointless for them.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:41 on Apr 8, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

sullat posted:

If we ever get a president who's a master phone poster, well, hold on to your rear end.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

sullat posted:

Hm, I wonder if the nuclear football is JAWS-enabled? At any rate, government publications are usually available in large-print so he should be OK.

siri! read me the launch codes!

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

If you go back a few pages you can see what the reaction was when I said the depiction of the Soviets was utter garbage as it was the most experienced and well-organized army on the planet in 1945.

it is so loving bizarre, this is apparently a controversial opinion now but was completely uncontroversial accepted truth among Western Allied military planners in 1945

the Brits humored Churchill in putting at least some effort into planning Operation Unthinkable, but pretty much all of the planning boiled down to 'okay, if every one of these extremely unlikely occurrences works out in our favor, we somehow manage to achieve complete strategic and operational surprise, and the Soviets are quite a bit weaker than our current assessments indicate, there is a chance we might be able to pull off a bloody stalemate'

like, even in their most insanely optimistic estimates, 'stalemating the Red Army in eastern Germany or western Poland' was the absolute best-case scenario the British military could realistically envision, and that was assuming they had both the full backing of the United States and also several hundred thousand rearmed Nazi troops. that the Soviets were the best military on the planet at the time was accepted as a given by people whose actual job was to have professional opinions on things like that, even in the West.

in that thread there was also an absolutely laughable post suggesting that the Soviets would suddenly be dealing with Allied-backed resistance movements in all of Europe in that hypothetical, completely discounting the far more likely opposite problem, namely the heavily-communist-influenced French and Italian resistance movements instantly plunging both of those countries into civil war the moment their leaders tried to march them off to battle alongside the Nazis they'd just spent years fighting

which was, again, completely uncontroversial among Western Allied planners at the time, who were very worried about possible communist partisans even in real life, even though they were still nominally allied to the Soviets at the time. going briefly back to Operation Unthinkable, the plan for if the initial assault on the Soviets failed was to more or less abandon France and instead withdraw to the Low Countries, because there was no way to guarantee which side France would be on

Mister Bates has issued a correction as of 15:55 on Apr 8, 2024

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

sullat posted:

Mister Stancil, fire when ready.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Mister Bates posted:

it is so loving bizarre, this is apparently a controversial opinion now but was completely uncontroversial accepted truth among Western Allied military planners in 1945

the Brits humored Churchill in putting at least some effort into planning Operation Unthinkable, but pretty much all of the planning boiled down to 'okay, if every one of these extremely unlikely occurrences works out in our favor, we somehow manage to achieve complete strategic and operational surprise, and the Soviets are quite a bit weaker than our current assessments indicate, there is a chance we might be able to pull off a bloody stalemate'

like, even in their most insanely optimistic estimates, 'stalemating the Red Army in eastern Germany or western Poland' was the absolute best-case scenario the British military could realistically envision, and that was assuming they had both the full backing of the United States and also several hundred thousand rearmed Nazi troops. that the Soviets were the best military on the planet at the time was accepted as a given by people whose actual job was to have professional opinions on things like that, even in the West.

in that thread there was also an absolutely laughable post suggesting that the Soviets would suddenly be dealing with Allied-backed resistance movements in all of Europe in that hypothetical, completely discounting the far more likely opposite problem, namely the heavily-communist-influenced French and Italian resistance movements instantly plunging both of those countries into civil war the moment their leaders tried to march them off to battle alongside the Nazis they'd just spent years fighting

Have you thought about if the Soviets were just rampaging savages wearing furs that were lusting after white women?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

if we let a kenyan be president I guess a canadian would be ok

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A small scale nuclear war would allow continued use of fossil fuels, since the nuclear winter would counteract global warming. Which is the main reason I think the risk of nuclear war is growing, especially since the two biggest nuclear powers are also decrepit fossil fuel states.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ardennes posted:

In July 1914, all the capitalists and the monarchies they supported were safe in their capitals, and in the end while there was a re-shuffling of power, the capitalists (outside of Russia) were fine. China probably isn't going to be invading the rest of the world to end capitalism either, if anything, they are usually hands off outside of investment.

Nuclear war is just something capitalists can't really control because it is inherently unpredictable. If those tridents don't launch, and the Russian ICBMs do, what then?

If anything, Germany 1945 is a good example, in the East, the capitalists lost everything, in the West, their ill deeds during the war were largely ignored and expunged, and by 1947 the emphasis was to "get them back on their feet." Capitalists want assurances that they will be okay, and if the US can't provide that, the PRC/Iran/Russia/India etc will.

There will be dudes in the US losing their minds over a carrier going down or whatever, but at the end of the day, capitalists don't want to live in a world where there is uncertainty over their money.

-----

Think about it, capitalists are greedy and ruthless...but not particularly selfless or brave. They "worked" so hard precisely because they want to feel better than everyone else, and if they can't do that...because a world doesn't exist anymore, it is pointless for them.

China isn't going to be invading the rest of the world, but its influence in the developing world is only going to grow, and home grown Communist movements will remerge as Western anti- Communism spirals into irrelevance. The China hands off approach was taken as a way to get US backing after the Sino-Soviet Split, the Chinese won't have to walk on eggshells as US power and influence degrades. The policy of now, is not forever.

As one goon put it years ago the US is the load bearing drywall of international Capitalism. Once it falls there is no where else for the Capitalists to flee to, there is no other country that protect and expand markets like the US can. The world of the US losing World War III is the world in which the Capitalists have their backs up against a wall, and people in that situation aren't known for behaving rationally. I have no problem believing that the Capitalists would rather burn it all down rather accept life and let the working class live comfortable lives. This isn't about selfless or brave, this is about them being petty and spiteful which I 100% believe them to be

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

You're gonna have to do some black face if you ever want to be the furher of that little Nazi colony of the north

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Buddy, they're all nazi colonies.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Buddy, they're all nazi colonies.

That's why I was specific about which one

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

KomradeX posted:

China isn't going to be invading the rest of the world, but its influence in the developing world is only going to grow, and home grown Communist movements will remerge as Western anti- Communism spirals into irrelevance. The China hands off approach was taken as a way to get US backing after the Sino-Soviet Split, the Chinese won't have to walk on eggshells as US power and influence degrades. The policy of now, is not forever.

As one goon put it years ago the US is the load bearing drywall of international Capitalism. Once it falls there is no where else for the Capitalists to flee to, there is no other country that protect and expand markets like the US can. The world of the US losing World War III is the world in which the Capitalists have their backs up against a wall, and people in that situation aren't known for behaving rationally. I have no problem believing that the Capitalists would rather burn it all down rather accept life and let the working class live comfortable lives. This isn't about selfless or brave, this is about them being petty and spiteful which I 100% believe them to be

That is the thing, the US is the load bearing drywall for Western capitalism...but not capitalism in itself. Mark Zuckerberg would much rather move Meta's HQ to Singapore or Mumbai than to set the atmosphere on fire. I don't doubt the other capitalists would do so as well, much like German industrialists, the state itself is a disposable husk, and if North America becomes a wasteland for profits, they will simply make a deal with someone else.

China itself, while will be at the head of the table, but they can't micromanage the world on its own; Russia/India/Vietnam all have their own foreign policies and outlooks. If anything, we are returning more to the 19th century, where you simply had competing empires, with the locus of power moving from Europe to Eurasia.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Ardennes posted:

China itself, while will be at the head of the table, but they can't micromanage the world on its own; Russia/India/Vietnam all have their own foreign policies and outlooks. If anything, we are returning more to the 19th century, where you simply had competing empires, with the locus of power moving from Europe to Eurasia.

no, we are not “returning” to the past. the world system has been built. the age of empires is ending with the defeat of the world’s last empire just as the age of the city states began its end with alexander. there may some residual pockets of bourgeois modes of production, but it is the chinese century now. socialism is ascendant the world over. there’s no going back.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

You're going to have a read egg on your face when Charlemagne/Heinrich the Fowler/Arthur awake from their slumber under the mountain to restore the empire in its hour of greatest need.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/MilitaryTimes/status/1777384170743849458

https://x.com/nypost/status/1777384055308272007

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

Hatebag posted:

The ruling class fears a nuke fight because you dont nuke tanks, you nuke DC. Its the only type of warfare where you can bypass the rank and file soldiers and take the head off the beast. Not much fun being a "wartime leader" if your survival, even in defeat, is not certain. In conventional war, they get to live to sign the surrender papers.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

that poo poo is still ongoing though. the company will 100% get away with getting owned.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

You're going to have a read egg on your face when Charlemagne/Heinrich the Fowler/Arthur awake from their slumber under the mountain to restore the empire in its hour of greatest need.

clearly the empire is not at its greatest need else one of those heroes would have made an appearance

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Pokémon go to the preflight inspection

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Was talking at work with someone and the topic shifted to geopolitics and the US military. Guy pretty much had the opinion that the US just doesnt have what it takes to win a WW anymore. The people wouldnt be able to sustain the sort of hardship/rationing for the length of time a WW would take, the military isnt equipped for an operation that long anymore and there is no political will to fix it.

Pretty sure my old boss had the same opinion, all of these are prior military people.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

lol

but also lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

terminally online, adj.