Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

They didn't even cast her. She just walked on set and started talking engineering stuff and everyone had to improv around her.

"and this is the mawwiage between warp core and plasma manifold"

really is this idea any different from Argyle in TNG, anyway? i don't think so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MikeJF posted:

Pelia's accent is great.

If you think of it as an accumulation of accents over the millennia, it fits perfectly!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Arivia posted:

"and this is the mawwiage between warp core and plasma manifold"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiJ6tsuUPAs

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 8, 2024

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Squizzle posted:

i wish madeline kahn were alive enough to play a character in snw too. imagine her and kane bouncing performances off one another while anson mount does a series of pikefaces in the background of the shot

*console explodes* Flames, flames! On the side of my face! Breaths, heaving breaths...

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm truly enjoying yet another Enterprise rewatch. It's fun, if a little ham handed, to hint around the various circumstances that lead to the prime directive ("the Captain will have to come up with some directives of his own around this"). Also I'm really enjoying the two episodes that start with the crew going to Risa and then something comes up and they have to wait again. I know it's coming in the next episode, but it's still nice to see that little bit of proto-serialization.

I wish they could have done a better job of actually growing Archer into a historic founding father of the Federation. I can see some bits of him being an unqualified nepo-baby in early episodes, but I think they started him too far behind the curve. If they'd played him more as unprepared instead (because truly no human could truly be prepared to captain this vessel) it would have been much easier to show him growing. A Starfleet captain, much less the storied Jonathan Archer can't start off sucking so much. It's not very Star Trek.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Delsaber posted:

*console explodes* Flames, flames! On the side of my face! Breaths, heaving breaths...

she could have delivered the sheer loving hubris picard line and made it work

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My friend's Trek introduction continues with her foray into TNG. Again she asked for a list of "essential" episodes, so I went with a mix of good/fun/important ones with the occasional infamously bad one thrown in. Her comments...

Her next episode is Skin of Evil. I hope she isn't too attached to the crew yet.

(If anyone isn't interested in these I can stop posting them; someone had enjoyed her TOS comments though, so I'll keep them up if there's interest.)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

My friend's Trek introduction continues with her foray into TNG. Again she asked for a list of "essential" episodes, so I went with a mix of good/fun/important ones with the occasional infamously bad one thrown in. Her comments...

Her next episode is Skin of Evil. I hope she isn't too attached to the crew yet.

(If anyone isn't interested in these I can stop posting them; someone had enjoyed her TOS comments though, so I'll keep them up if there's interest.)

dont stop, and if anyone tells you to, disregard them. if you cannot disregard them, gently slap them

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm delighted every time you post one of these.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

No way, these are the absolute best.

"The new medical officer is a fox" nailed that one out of the gate :swoon:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

McSpanky posted:

No way, these are the absolute best.

I'm not going to tell her about the doctor change in TNG season 2, or that Dr. Crusher comes back in season 3.

We watched Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home together over the weekend. It's her favorite movie so far, as she's still salty at Wrath of Khan for letting her think Spock was forever-dead. We're skipping The Final Frontier because it sucks and not much in there is important to the storyline, but The Undiscovered Country is my personal favorite Trek movie and gives a nice send-off for most of the characters who don't show up in Generations.

Squizzle posted:

dont stop, and if anyone tells you to, disregard them. if you cannot disregard them, gently slap them

Thanks. I'm having a blast getting new reactions from a complete Trek newbie. She loves the series, I think TOS still more than TNG, but she'll probably come around once we get into "good" TNG.

I'm not going to post my suggested TNG episode list before she watches them because it'll result in a hundred "how dare you leave out X episode" posts. I think I covered all the good/important ones.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

WhiteHowler posted:

We're skipping The Final Frontier because it sucks

Mods?!?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
ban anyone who watches or engages in a watchlist.
make up your own mind

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

I gave 5 a rewatch a few months ago to see if my opinion had changed. It has not.

I hate that movie worse than I hate Nemesis, which is a considerable amount.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The camping scenes alone in V are better than the entirety of Nemesis

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

instead of 5, binge all of TAS

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
These are amusing, keep going. The mention of how Geordie's visor works reminded me how in one of the early episodes, maybe in the pilot itself, Picard tells Geordie to go look out the window at the space mcguffin of the week, because he can see the full spectrum and obviously the big monitor in the front of the bridge is only broadcasting visible spectrum stuff. I remember thinking that was really cool once I knew what that meant. It really sucks it's never used again.

McSpanky posted:

You mean out of the Gates?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
They should have had a little porthole next to the viewscreen for Geordi to peer through

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Geordi sticking his head up a blingy hood ornament on the front of the saucer section

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
He should have had that thing Spock was always looking in.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I get why everyone thinks more about Wesley in Justice, but what I always think of are the weird perv aliens that have been looking after the primitive natives and feel the need to destroy the Enterprise if they ruin their "innocence".

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I get why everyone thinks more about Wesley in Justice, but what I always think of are the weird perv aliens that have been looking after the primitive natives and feel the need to destroy the Enterprise if they ruin their "innocence".

Their god has strong “conservative Christian dad in the Deep South” energy

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

davidspackage posted:

Geordi sticking his head up a blingy hood ornament on the front of the saucer section
Geordi's new station is a folding chair up against the window in Ten Forward.

No one is allowed to talk to him, because he's on duty.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Five is poo poo but the start of it is great and you'd miss out not seeing that

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm very much anti the critical reappraisal of TFF being Good Actually, but it's certainly not offensively bad. It's just kind of middling TOS badness that has a certain level of charm even though it's a total mess. It's the Generations of TOS... well, I guess Generations is also like ¼ a TOS movie but you know what I mean.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would rather watch Generations again than TFF

Outside of the Kirk/Spock/Bones stuff, which is only a small part of the movie, the rest is rear end

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Generations and TFF both have some of the best character moments for their respective casts and the bad reputation both movies have gained over the years is really a shame.

There’s only been two genuinely worthless Trek movies imo; Into Darkness and Nemesis. Everything else is fine-to-great.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Generations and TFF both have some of the best character moments for their respective casts and the bad reputation both movies have gained over the years is really a shame.

Yeah, TFF and Generations share a really blah plot that made all the wrong choices, but have character moments that made me feel more than most of the other movies.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I go hiking fairly regularly these days and the number of times I've gotten to a viewpoint and had to resist yelling "WE HAVE TRAVELED FAR!" at the top of my lungs is really getting up there.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
TFF is best enjoyed after several edibles. At least that's how I did it and it was a blast.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
TFF is very much a film that is less than the sum of it's parts. Weirdly, it's kind of similar to Batman & Robin in a way, to me. TFF has lots of individual moments that work, and none of them gel into a coherent whole, and a whole lot of crap that is easy to forget about in hindsight. Batman & Robin has a lot of big 'so bad it's good' or heavy camp laughs, but it also has a bunch of long, boring stretches that are easy to forget if you haven't seen it in a while.

WhiteHowler posted:

Nth-ing the 'more pls'

I liked her take on Amok Time because it reminded me that in the context of that episode, T'Pring is the heartless bitch cheating on Spock and trying to get him or Kirk killed. In the context of SNW, she's the smart, compassionate woman who I basically think "honey, you're too good for him" when she's with Spock.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s only been two genuinely worthless Trek movies imo; Into Darkness and Nemesis. Everything else is fine-to-great.

TFF's cuts mean it barely makes sense and David Warner and the other ambassadors are wasted AND their storyline is stupid.
It's definitely not fine

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Gaz-L posted:

I liked her take on Amok Time because it reminded me that in the context of that episode, T'Pring is the heartless bitch cheating on Spock and trying to get him or Kirk killed. In the context of SNW, she's the smart, compassionate woman who I basically think "honey, you're too good for him" when she's with Spock.

I very much like SNW's take on T'Pring. So far. Her story with Spock is one of the reasons that I would very much be okay with SNW just rolling on into TOS (and TAS!), changing out main characters as they go and starting to remake TOS episodes.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Squizzle posted:

instead of 5, binge all of TAS

i agree, this is the correct take on tff

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Taear posted:

TFF's cuts mean it barely makes sense and David Warner and the other ambassadors are wasted AND their storyline is stupid.
It's definitely not fine

It's not really a matter of cuts with TFF as it is that they were shooting what was only slightly just past a first-draft script. The WGA strike ended in August 1988, leaving David Loughery with a month to write the movie, because shooting had to begin by early October 1988 to meet the June 1989 release date. (And things got further hosed when the Teamsters went on strike on October 4, 1988, right when the production was due to begin location shooting.)

That said, it's still one of my favorites of the TOS movies, due to some really dynamic direction from Shatner, a killer score by Goldsmith, absolutely luscious cinematography from Andy Laszlo, and an all-time performance by Laurence Luckinbill, who should have had a much bigger career than he did. (Check him out in William Friedkin's The Boys in the Band, he's dynamite in that, too.)

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
You couldn't even really call TFF good but it's saving grace if anything is it simply does give you more of that TOS cast, character wise they're on point and there's a bunch of good moments in isolation even if the greater plot is bit of a whiff.

I don't think you can say that about Nemesis at all. That movie really is the nadir of cinematic Star Trek by a very wide margin.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

5 is a load of nonsense but it's also fun. It's an entirely different sort of bad than Nemesis, which is simply irredeemable on any level.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

The parts with the main trio are great, but everything else is kinda tacked on and arbitrary.

Except for Koord, always nice to see a Klingon regain their honor.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

There's an MST3k riff where they say that a movie isn't a movie and is more of a movieloaf. It is made of real movie pieces, chunked and formed.

That's how I feel about V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
"What does God need with a starship?" is an all loving timer and justifies the movie's existence entirely by itself