Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Whatever it is i bought it, would un-democratic to waste resources when bugs still exist

Does the stratagem list contain anything new now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://x.com/helldivers2/status/1777345490121568662?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

We did it

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

mirarant posted:

nope

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

mirarant posted:

Not for me

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

i'm excited to see the narrative build and see wierd things happen. i don't know what they're capable of and what will come but i expect it will be something we haven't seen yet, within reason. this game is almost making my imagination run wild like Destiny used to.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I want city maps. Let me fight in the infinite suburbs of Super Earth

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I'm getting a 'failed to connect' error on starting up Helldivers2 for the first time. I just wanted to see whatever weirdness people are talking about in here!

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I am perfectly happy shooting either bots or bugs, they are both fun and I really don't have a preference.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

mirarant posted:

What is this catalog expansion ship module? Says that it adds new stratagem permits for purchase but I don't have the resources to buy it.

it seems like they just enabled it, the stratagems it unlocks are probably going live in a bit or when they push their hotfix.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Please change every loading screen tip to 'Dive to put out fires' until the planet selection opens up again.

Yes yes blah blah fire buffs, I'm sick of people stoically burning to death from full hp after getting clipped by a single incendiary pellet or stepping into a flame a passing fire tornado left behind. If I can mash the dive key and then stim, so can you - once you've been informed by a third party that it works.

Update the tutorial with a section where they set you on fire.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 8, 2024

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Lot of people are cool with it because the live service / narrative agenda the game is running is truly refreshing. You should be invested in it because Arrowhead is really running a story with the galactic map in which our efforts are literally making an impact. It’s a galaxy wide war on 2 fronts (for now) where we go where super earth tells us to. They don’t just drop mech suits on an update. They had us defend and liberate the planets where they are produced. It’s very much a choice and one I (and others) are enjoying. Instead of a weekend limited time mode it’s a we’re eradicating bugs with special pesticide missions which in turn unlocked flying bugs. Their entire content delivery and schedule is framed on the narrative. If you’re not into it, you’ll probably have a bad time and it’s sad because even loosely following the story they’re crafting has been fun.

In addition, the war effort being a community effort means campaign rewards apply to all helldivers whether you’re actively helping or not.

This game is doing so much right as a live service. I can see how this is not for everyone, especially if you’re just looking for a game game where you control all the variables. This unfortunately isn’t that kind of game.

to add to this, i think its really neat how collaborative the storytelling has been so far. I know all the major plot beats have been prewritten to go with Arrowhead's content schedule, but i dont think they anticipated several ways in which the players react to the game, like Malevelon Creek, for example. AH was smart to lean into that and even have a memorial day with a custom cape

while it is a live service, i dont think it has nearly as many detractions as that label would lead one to believe. Even Fortnite, the king of live-service games, really only tells it story to the players and there isnt collaboration like anything at this level. New story drops in Fortnite are just ways to generate hype to sell new skins and battlepasses. In helldivers, it feels like a whole war is happening and it reacts to what the playerbase is doing. Its genuinely innovative and I'm excited to see how everything will play out, even if that means that I wont be able to fight bots for a few days

so, to answer Tommy's musings on if this is normal for live-service games: no its not normal, its way better

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Are you tell me that diving gets rid of the burning effect?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

so many helldivers were never taught to stop drop and roll as kids apparently, sad to see

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh man, remedial tutorials that get made once a week and give you some rewards, built with simple text boxes and stuff, would be great.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Got in, 'bought' the new expansion (at zero cost), reloaded my ship, and it was showing as un-acquired again. Looks like it's not set up at all to be gotten yet.

Wonder what it unlocks!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Sagebrush posted:

Why do I jump on top of the supply pod literally every single time I try to restock from it

because you're sprinting and that autoclimbs

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

The Kingfish posted:

So much that I instinctively dove whenever I heard a hulks flamer start up.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Please release more toys today Arrowhead :blastu:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Opening a buddy bunker and finding super credits inside is such a great feeling:unsmith:.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

The Kingfish posted:

Stop drop and roll, amigo.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
does anyone else have their stratagem thing say 7/8 for the bottom one with the patriot exosuit, i've had that show ever since i unlocked it.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Spookydonut posted:

because you're sprinting and that autoclimbs

That's just how a true helldiver accesses a resupply pod, from a standing position on top of it.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Spookydonut posted:

does anyone else have their stratagem thing say 7/8 for the bottom one with the patriot exosuit, i've had that show ever since i unlocked it.

Yeah, mine is marked 7/8 despite buying the exosuit (and everything else).

AcidCat posted:

That's just how a true helldiver accesses a resupply pod, from a standing position on top of it.

You must assert dominance over the resupply.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It would be funny if this is to unlock those AA weapons they teased when the gunships showed up, which no longer exist.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
i get a purchase error trying to buy the catalog expansion and it doesnt show a price to unlock it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I hope Illuminate fighting is layered on top of the bots/bugs in some way. I love the current bugs/bots, but they do somehow feel a bit stale sometimes.

Like, at launch I don't remember people reliably taking down dropships now with the Quasar especially there's always one dropship crashing.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

jokes posted:

I hope Illuminate fighting is layered on top of the bots/bugs in some way. I love the current bugs/bots, but they do somehow feel a bit stale sometimes.

you thought you were about to drop into a bugs mission but it was me, dio illuminate

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

jokes posted:

Like, at launch I don't remember people reliably taking down dropships now with the Quasar especially there's always one dropship crashing.

OO didn't even think of this as an option, would love mini-illuminate incursions mid mission when fighting the other factions

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Lot of people are cool with it because the live service / narrative agenda the game is running is truly refreshing. You should be invested in it because Arrowhead is really running a story with the galactic map in which our efforts are literally making an impact. It’s a galaxy wide war on 2 fronts (for now) where we go where super earth tells us to. They don’t just drop mech suits on an update. They had us defend and liberate the planets where they are produced. It’s very much a choice and one I (and others) are enjoying.

I have actually thought of a game that's done this before that I've played, Elite: Dangerous. It's just Elite's development and handling of live service was not well received and everyone just wanted to go off and live their own space life most of the time. There have been many occasions where they said "complete this community goal to unlock X/Y/Z new tool/module" it was mostly met with scepticism. People just went "meh, you've already made the content so making us jump through hoops for it seems contrived".

To give arrowhead credit, they do seem to have captured lightning in a bottle somehow and there's a huge amount of goodwill for their game and model that I've not seen before. I can imagine Frontier running their current "destroy the thargoids" community event looking over at HD2 going "wtf".

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

My secret hope is the 7/8 stratagems thing is that the patriot exosuit doesn't belong there and will eventually be moved to its own section, complete with ship module upgrades for the suits as well

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Did they stealth buff the Arc Blitzer shotgun from the Cutting Edge warbond? I was two-shotting Bile Titans with it pretty consistently. I just took it on a lark and it actually wasn't bad? (it's definitely not Breaker tier but it's not a totally useless worthless gun, you can fire it behind you while running away/repositioning and it's just as effective as ADS)

Also if you're the host the Breaker Incendiary absolutely rocks, when the fire damage works that thing puts in work.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
gently caress me I hate how valuable plain regular samples are compared to everything else. Pretty much as soon as I started running 7+s reliably they became my immediate bottleneck.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

BastardySkull posted:

Please release more toys today Arrowhead :blastu:

And while they’re at it please release not crashing after extraction

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Gaffle posted:

My secret hope is the 7/8 stratagems thing is that the patriot exosuit doesn't belong there and will eventually be moved to its own section, complete with ship module upgrades for the suits as well

nah they were meant to have mechs at release but they failed qa and got dropped so it is absolutely a last minute ui hack job to hide them

source: my job is in a software release period rn and i'm jaded af

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The fact that you have two options that are largely the same game experience except for enemy type means that the meta campaign is extremely easy to grip the player base. If a game tried to have a meta campaign that was like "play big team battles, BR only" one week and then the next week was "play swords only CTF" it would get significantly less traction.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Spookydonut posted:

yeah, the categories that eventually got the HMG and quasar were also missing one until they got released too

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I have all the strategems and pretty much every category had a 'lower number/higher number' at the top of the category last I checked. Just seemed kinda bugged to me.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Spookydonut posted:

nah they were meant to have mechs at release but they failed qa and got dropped so it is absolutely a last minute ui hack job to hide them

source: my job is in a software release period rn and i'm jaded af

AllEars

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

turn off the TV posted:

most of the trivial maps are so small that you can just blow the tower up from extraction

I was on Helmire which has too many tall rocks but yeah on more open maps you can snipe it from miles away. I’m kinda torn because on the one hand it’s so trivial that it’s not very satisfying, but on the other hand it’s pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

According to Discord chatter with the devs there was a bug in the liberation rates and we've unexpectedly been put in a winning position with this MO. I wonder what the devs will do.