Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Cambridge alum Milo Edwards coined the phrase 'poo poo rivers museum' in response to the Oxford team getting e-coli from the Thames, and that's been bouncing round my brain for the last few days.

E: 144 is a nice halfway point between 128 and 160 if you enjoy counting in binary.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Milo went to Cambridge? Who knew, he rarely mentions this.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

josh04 posted:

Huge if true???

this is still breaking my brain. presumably there's some error somewhere but how the hell does Tosh Lines get into your data set of children's book costumes. i have to know what happened

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

fuctifino posted:

Can't they just import all the databases into a single large spreadsheet?

Make sure it's a .xls then there can only be a maximum of 65000 cases on it - hurrah - NHS is saved. Always would run better with no patients.

NHS data horrors:
In the late 80s/ early 90s we were required to set up an asset register of all items in the NHS that had a value of £10 or more. But if, say, a collection was normally found together eg 3 stacked filing trays - you had to count them too. DoH refused to recommend a system, so many HA's were trying to use the Works Information Management System which was entirely cumbersome and each item required 4 pages of data entry and if you got to the bottom of page 4 and found you were missing a bit of data then you had to abort the whole lot.
Also, there was NO budget whatsoever for this.

Anyway, I was temping there as PA to the District Building Officer in the Works Dept and they said "she can do it" - put me on as permanent staff Works Officer scales.

I built the asset register in Supercalc using string functions to construct codes, persuaded medical physics to give me all their data on an export file (naturally they had a totally different system), and then imported it all into the back end of WIMS (Dataflex system) and overwrote the control file.

I also was able to get a temp finally to input all the stuff which we didn't already have any sort of computerised records for and after going through stuff which we did have values etc for, told her to put anything she didn't know what it was down as £2344 value.

So the auditors came and said haha a cruet £2344 (my temp was Irish and they do stuff like call cupboards 'presses' or think 'presses' are cupboards not big ironing machines and she had no idea what a cruet was - it wasn't any old cruet, it was solid silver communion set from the chapel). Anyway, I then showed them the name of some piece of kit from the pharmacy that had lots of zs and ys in its name and said 'ok what's that then'? Oh they said. Dunno. "So what value?" I said. "Erm, £2344?" they said. And I prioritized top down where 700 assets (including land & buildings!) were the value of 91% of the nearly £600m estate value (this is over 45 years ago now so that was a LOT in those days). So when the DoH suggested making even more refined categories of stuff like ball point pens or whatever I wrote a bit of a rant about it being a complete and utter waste of time & money.

We were one of the first, if not THE first to pass audit with our Asset Register - let alone complete it on time. Everyone was telling the PTB that their asset registers were nearly complete then I would go on conferences etc & because I was a mere slip of a girl, quite a few 'fessed up that their asset registers consisted of piles of paper in the bottom of a filing cabinet.

Oh and after insisting on the £10 and also insisting that Ward 'Sisters' could go round listing all the 450V sockets etc, measuring 6" curbstones etc, about 2 months before the deadline, they changed the bottom limit to £250 after so many places had been counting their paperclips.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 8, 2024

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Angepain posted:

this is still breaking my brain. presumably there's some error somewhere but how the hell does Tosh Lines get into your data set of children's book costumes. i have to know what happened
Joe Lycett has apparently said in an interview he's been seeding fake news articles in the press recently, and this really feels like one of his. It would only be more obvious if it was Pam St Clement.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 8, 2024

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

josh04 posted:

Huge if true???

Did you get permission from Nielsen & Nielsen to reproduce that data?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Cambridge alum Milo Edwards coined the phrase 'poo poo rivers museum' in response to the Oxford team getting e-coli from the Thames, and that's been bouncing round my brain for the last few days.

Gorn Myson posted:

Milo went to Cambridge? Who knew, he rarely mentions this.

There's a goon on this very forum who went to Cambridge with him and is one of the people involved in the Mr Asbo Swan Event.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

https://uk.givergy.com/cinemaforgaza/?controller=lots&action=showLot&id=99

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

There's a goon on this very forum who went to Cambridge with him and is one of the people involved in the Mr Asbo Swan Event.
Are they the swan?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

In pathology alone there was the data entry system, there was the system that read the output of the biochem machines, the system that translated that into the input database's format; there was a PC at the back of the office with DO NOT TURN OFF taped to the front that translated results for the four GP surgeries that recieved results digitally; each machine in histopathology had its own pass-through translating stuff to the database and finally, we had 2 or 3 months of absolute chaos when the cerner / fujitsu 'central' system came in and our database needed a pass-through to translate everything onto that.

I apologise to the thread's computer touchers for what I just made them envision.

I briefly worked for the wheelchair service and even that had its own custom database that absolutely would not play ball with the physio's systems.

As someone who's only ever really dealt with Microsoft products, is all that craziness down to the NHS being run like a mini privatised kingdom where different areas have different systems because such and such's mate had a "software solution" to sell.

So rather than one centralised IT system letting everything talk to eachother, you've got hundreds all functionally doing the same thing but with basic incompatibilities?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

e: lol what a snipe, I would give you a cat, but you get my current project instead:

Looks cool. I managed to get my hands on a copy of "Otaku Spaces" because I do like looking at other people's hobbies (So much better than working on my own) and because I'm quite nosy. There are two absolutely stand out entries in the book. One is a man who has a huge collection of dating sim games and manga. The thing you quickly notice is how scantly clad the women on the covers of the manga are and by women I, unfortunately, mean children.

The other is a man whose introductory blurb states:

quote:

Morinaga Takuro, born in 1957 in Tokyo, is an economic analyst, media personality and lecturer at Dokkyo university. he is known for an "otaku-like" character, including vast knowledge, deep and narrow interests and direct statements that shock and offend for their lack of common sense. He argues that the majority of Japanese men are ugly and poor, and women's inability to deal with these facts accounts for plummeting rates of marriage and birth. He also says the inability of men to find satisfactory partners gives rise to the phenomenon of two-dimensional love, or otaku "marrying" anime, manga and game characters.

Which is an amazing drive by on his own countrymen.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Tesseraction posted:

Is that the follow-up to a Black Swan Event?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Are they the swan?

he wishes, he got savaged by the swan

although back then there wasn't poop in the water so at least he didn't get e coli too

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Kin posted:

As someone who's only ever really dealt with Microsoft products, is all that craziness down to the NHS being run like a mini privatised kingdom where different areas have different systems because such and such's mate had a "software solution" to sell.

So rather than one centralised IT system letting everything talk to eachother, you've got hundreds all functionally doing the same thing but with basic incompatibilities?

It's what happens when you fracture the NHS into a bunch of different commissioning bodies and trusts that are supposed to source their own solutions rather than dictate everything centrally.

Doing things on a shoestring budget also means you end up buying a top shelf electronic patient record system but you run out of cash so you don't bother to get the support package and the entire trust's IT is being maintained by a team of 4 guys.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Kin posted:

Isnt this exactly what happens when you give people the option to do whatever they want?

Like even in my company the sales team would pick a different system to the finance team, because every system has its strengths and weaknesses and its usually a compromise unless you have infinite resources to shell out building something completely bespoke.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Really they should have just paid the money to get someone competent like Fujitsu to design and build a bespoke solution.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

serious gaylord posted:

Isnt this exactly what happens when you give people the option to do whatever they want?

Like even in my company the sales team would pick a different system to the finance team, because every system has its strengths and weaknesses and its usually a compromise unless you have infinite resources to shell out building something completely bespoke.

It's the same in education, my partner's a trust lead and when she looked at each of the schools they had no trust wide plan or systems just individual schools doing whatever they wanted, they were even on different exam boards so you couldn't provide trust wide resources due to the fractured nature of it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Really they should have just paid the money to get someone competent like Fujitsu to design and build a bespoke solution.

Gonna copy and paste this verbatim into your thread

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Yeah, even for small businesses it can cause a major headache to upgrade and integrate systems across all the various different parts, and it can sometimes change things in the entire industry at the same time.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

That's sort of what happened, and...

It just added another system that needed passthroughs, because it turns out that when Fujitsu Cerner (Fujitsu sold the hardware, Cerner sold the software) sold it to the middle managers, they told them it would do everything and there'd be onsite support for a year.

What they meant by this is that in theory it could be reprogrammed to do everything, except the programmers pissed off back to the US the second the sale was complete, and the 'on site support' was an exhausted programmer who kept having to drive down from Swindon to apologetically tell us that the version sold to us was not able to (for example) interface with the biochem machines without paying the programmers an extortionate amount to come back.

So we just got Doug to make another bunch of database translators.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That's sort of what happened, and...

Ah linux package management, system inits, and window compositors.

TwoShanks
Feb 27, 2007

Robots of the world unite

MonkeyLibFront posted:

they were even on different exam boards so you couldn't provide trust wide resources due to the fractured nature of it.

Trust wide resources are shite though. It's a deliberate attempt to de-skill the teaching profession by providing unified resources so anyone can "teach" any subject, another "performance management" stick to hold over staff by checking if you deliver the trust resources, and a terrible way to compensate for the chronic underfunding and lack of prep time for teachers.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
They should encourage people to take responsibility for their own records. Like provide a Facebook or whatever environment that people want to interact with and they'll do the work themselves. Like let people link their Fitbit step counter things and WiFi toilets into their health records, gamify it with a farmville it or whatever that is but theme hospital. Probably will improve health outcomes in itself as people pay more attention to their "score".

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The whole Fujitsu thing is pretty interesting since they have such a presence in the UK because they took over some government contractors and there's massive amount of inertia in the sector.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 8, 2024

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/garvanwalshe/status/1777327712413073675

Democracy

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Sky News Australia does this poo poo all the time. One of their journalists says something idiotic, then they publish a bunch of purported news articles with headlines like 'solar panels will eat your dog' and hidden in the body of the text they will add something like 'according to sky news host Andrew Bolt'. Then it gets picked up by liberal or national pollies (who probably originated the point in the first place) and it gets intorduced into parliament and amplified on social media and in pubs and the entire country gets a little bit dumber. Rinse and repeat.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Wait, they eat dogs? :monocle: ban solar panels NOW!

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Nenonen posted:

Wait, they eat dogs? :monocle: ban solar panels NOW!

It seems so Mistah Speaker. Its all over the papers after all! Save your dog, use fossil fuels!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like that the tweet demonstrates the thing it describes by making the entirely unsubstantiated assertion that labour was also doing it.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
We know Labour did it.
Most of the scare stories the Scum ran during the early 00s were in collaboration with the Labour government.

Make people aware of a potential new issue --> papers find the 3 people in the country harmed* by the issue --> paper runs a big campaign highlighting the dangers of the issue --> brave Labour government bans the thing causing the issue --> wow, isn't this Labour government great?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean sure it is possible that they did but he still doesn't substantiate it, and I would be surprised if Corbyn's labour for example was able to get that level of sympathetic media access so it would still require clarification.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Labour got the guardian to print unsubtantiated bullsh- wait it's just Wes Streeting.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tomberforce posted:

Sky News Australia

Been watching a few clips recently that pop up due to the algorithm on Youtube.
And they are usually starting things off with 'The lefties are at it again!' to get you fired up instantly.

And I think it was John Stewart in a Daily Show skit from 20 years ago that showed on Fox would add new made up stories into it's rotation.
Like they would have someone on in the morning come on and say 'Obama once bit the head of a crying newborn baby at an Islamic George Soros party!'
Then the next show would have them saying 'Some are saying Obama once bit the head of a crying newborn at a Soros party!'
Then the headliner of that day at 5pm to 9pm would have 'What Obama did at a George Soros party will shock you, join us at...'.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Tomberforce posted:

Sky News Australia does this poo poo all the time. One of their journalists says something idiotic, then they publish a bunch of purported news articles with headlines like 'solar panels will eat your dog' and hidden in the body of the text they will add something like 'according to sky news host Andrew Bolt'. Then it gets picked up by liberal or national pollies (who probably originated the point in the first place) and it gets intorduced into parliament and amplified on social media and in pubs and the entire country gets a little bit dumber. Rinse and repeat.

They are still owned by Murdoch (unlike the rest of Sky), so that's not too surprising.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.facebook.com/reel/384665574440124

Not sure how to link properly from FB here, but this is defo one of us.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
I came into my current role amid a programme disorganised to hell and raised a good few risks (including the lack of a cohesive centralised risk register) and it was clearly what a lot of big IT projects are in public services which is faking agile through some scheme that says it’s agile but only in development and not delivery.

They were haemorrhaging money as they didn’t set up dedicated product managers before doing this and so there was a massive internal bottleneck and money was indeed spaffed.

Anyway, on data, a lot of it is based on common interoperability standards and some bits of network string for some reason which I am pushing to get shot of because that’s how WannaCry moved around so fast, inherent trust where there shouldn’t be any (luckily we treated it as untrusted so wasn’t affected).

There are a few players in the different sectors and overall it might be better if NHS Digital / England / Whoever wrote some more stuff to replace this for people to use as I feel that might have more progress or embrace more open source development.

Anyway, big programmes have a lot of risk around them in that you need to start that row of domino’s at just the right time or it just all doesn’t fall over right.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I’m losing my mind about how excited bbc news has been about a mundane astrological phenomena. They’ve led with it all day like it’s the coming of the 4 horsemen

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

smellmycheese posted:

I’m losing my mind about how excited bbc news has been about a mundane astrological phenomena. They’ve led with it all day like it’s the coming of the 4 horsemen

lol it’s fine. totality is incredible and worth it. everything else is cool but not necessarily spectacular

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

keep punching joe posted:

Ah linux package management, system inits, and window compositors.

FreeBSD ports ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Bit late but happy anniversary to all who observe