Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Murgos posted:

Eh, as long as I don't have to read about his lovely all caps gaslighting anymore I'm willing to let his utter humiliation be after he's gone. Sooner the better IMO.

Deplatforming Trump works.

I will admit I'm partially driven by spite and malice, but I do at least claim my motivation is partially based on wanting to see the cult of personality shatter to hopefully open a lot of people up to the possibility of deprogramming them. Before he dies I want to see Trump very, very obviously impaired. Like massive stroke with half-body total paralysis, unable to stop drooling out of the corner of a flaccid mouth, cannot walk on his own and no longer able to vomit out his hate speech coherently. My hope is that the cult leader being very obviously a normal person finally breaks this fever over the country and people can start coming around to their sense and get back to fixing poo poo instead of finding a new minority to persecute.

That's what passes for the optimism I hold for the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

dr_rat posted:

His whiny poo poo being mostly confined to the near void that is truth social has been a very good thing.

And the funniest thing about that is it's a self inflected deplatforming. He could go back to twitter at anytime but his out of control ego won't let him.

Ego and money. If he starts tweeting again Truth Social stocks will go down the toilet faster than they are now.

In fact, I bet he switches over to Twitter soonish after the stock does crater.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

The Bible posted:

you apparently can't have a presidential candidate in court for whatever reason.
Merrick Garland spoke on this. I understand DOJ should not announce any new investigations or indictments so many days before the elections, but Garland announced that the courts are free to go on. He basically said once the issue is in the hands of the Judicial branch/system, there is no policy to stop them.

I think that is pretty awesome. If SCOTUS rules on immunity and lets say we get that decision late June (totally reasonable to expect) then 88 days later (the amount of time Trump's lawyers had left before the case was stayed) the trial could begin. That puts jury selection right around my birthday in late September.

If the DC case could start up then I would be very, very pleased.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Dr. Faustus posted:

Merrick Garland spoke on this. I understand DOJ should not announce any new investigations or indictments so many days before the elections, but Garland announced that the courts are free to go on. He basically said once the issue is in the hands of the Judicial branch/system, there is no policy to stop them.

I think that is pretty awesome. If SCOTUS rules on immunity and lets say we get that decision late June (totally reasonable to expect) then 88 days later (the amount of time Trump's lawyers had left before the case was stayed) the trial could begin. That puts jury selection right around my birthday in late September.

If the DC case could start up then I would be very, very pleased.

I love it, especially in the late late summer.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

So have the forums, it was kinda mind blowing.

Can only hope this saga ends the same way. Maybe someone in Trump's orbit can convince him to try eating a bunch of sausages.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 45 hours!)

Trump is suing Judge Juan Merchan: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/08/nyregion/trump-hush-money-trial-delay.html?partner=slack&smid=sl-share

Trump to sue judge in effort to avert hush-money trial

Donald Trump will sue the judge overseeing his hush money trial, which is over allegations that Trump forged financial records in an attempt to cover up a sex scandal, the New York Times first reported.

The latest lawsuit from Trump is a last-minute attempt to delay the trial, which is set to begin 15 April in New York City.

According to the Times, Trump’s legal team has now filed an action against Judge Juan Merchan, though the lawsuit itself is not public.

Two sources with knowledge on the suit told the Times on Monday that Trump’s attorneys are asking an appeals court to delay the trial and also attacking a gag order that Merchan placed on Trump.

Merchan previously denied Trump’s request to delay the trial until the US supreme court reviews his claims around presidential immunity involving a separate criminal case.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Rust Martialis posted:

Trump is suing Judge Juan Merchan: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/08/nyregion/trump-hush-money-trial-delay.html?partner=slack&smid=sl-share

Donald Trump will sue the judge overseeing his hush money trial, which is over allegations that Trump forged financial records in an attempt to cover up a sex scandal, the New York Times first reported.

The latest lawsuit from Trump is a last-minute attempt to delay the trial, which is set to begin 15 April in New York City.

According to the Times, Trump’s legal team has now filed an action against Judge Juan Merchan, though the lawsuit itself is not public.

Two sources with knowledge on the suit told the Times on Monday that Trump’s attorneys are asking an appeals court to delay the trial and also attacking a gag order that Merchan placed on Trump.

Merchan previously denied Trump’s request to delay the trial until the US supreme court reviews his claims around presidential immunity involving a separate criminal case.

And yet another lawyer willingly signing up to get sanctioned. How does he do it?

To contextualise: you literally can’t sue a judge for anything they did in their role as a judge. They are absolutely immune. Not qualifiedly immune, like cops, but literally absolutely immune, even if you can prove malfeasance

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
$DJT continues to tumble, down another 10% today to $37ish, which is around 36% down from its IPO price, and over 50% down from its $80 highs. I don't believe there's been any news on it, so it looks like it's just general sentiment.

As mentioned before, any number over $0 is nominally a windfall for Donald, but the markets in general are still fairly robust and generally trending up, so it's nice to see the stock dropping in spite of a generally favorable environment. It also makes it less likely that he can use this as a collateral for his mounting legal issues.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 8, 2024

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

And yet another lawyer willingly signing up to get sanctioned. How does he do it?

To paraphrase George Carlin, there is statistically a Worst Lawyer in America, and someone is their client right now.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

To contextualise: you literally can’t sue a judge for anything they did in their role as a judge. They are absolutely immune. Not qualifiedly immune, like cops, but literally absolutely immune, even if you can prove malfeasance

You can in New York.

It's called an Article 78 action, but it is rarely used against judges and definitely not in this kind of situation.

It's traditionally used as a way to appeal rulings from administrative agencies or boards.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
https://twitter.com/gtconway3d/status/1777310705420575116

So apparently the bond isn't actually a bond, it's just the insurance company saying "Yeah, if Trump loses he's gonna pay up. He pinky promised us he would pay up so you totally don't need to take his stuff."

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

dr_rat posted:

US courts can't take any riches you brought to the afterlife?

Lame.

What you have to understand is that 🎵in the afterlife, you may be headed for the serious strife! Now, you make the scene all day, but in the future there'll be Hell to pay!🎵

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

dpkg chopra posted:

over 100% down

:psyduck:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

I mean I get it, but this is the world where things can trend positively towards the negative. We're all on Mr. Bones' wild ride now.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

I’m gonna call it wishful thinking on my part

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

That's not a bond. Someone (not Trump) is going to get their rear end handed to them about this.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It is pretty humorous the president knowingly submitted a fraudulent bond and got a month extension.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I continue to be mesmorized at how often people line up to get kicked in the groin on Trump's behalf for no visible benefit.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

He lets them touch the orb. Afterward, nothing in this life matters to them.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cimber posted:

So apparently the bond isn't actually a bond, it's just the insurance company saying "Yeah, if Trump loses he's gonna pay up. He pinky promised us he would pay up so you totally don't need to take his stuff."

The linked article is worth a read. This is an amazingly shady deal.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trumps-dollar175-million-bond-is-even-shadier-than-it-looks

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

I continue to be mesmorized at how often people line up to get kicked in the groin on Trump's behalf for no visible benefit.

It gives me anxiety, the mans left a very public trail of broken careers and lives in his wake and the acolytes continue to launch themselves onto his sacrificial alter.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Nonsense posted:

It is pretty humorous the president knowingly submitted a fraudulent bond and got a month extension.

One weird trick financial regulators don't want you to know.

I'm fairly doomer pilled on trump ever seeing justice, but this sort of thing feels like it has to result in some sort of punishment for someone. They submitted a bond that:

1. Didn't contain relevant documents like financial statements as required by law. Most likely to conceal the below.
2. Was written by a company that wasn't registered to submit the bond.
3. Was written by a company does not have the assets to cover the bond without going bankrupt, let alone the 10x figure required by law.
4. Isn't actually a bond.

This is just surreal and the most trump thing I can imagine, complete with him gaining a month extension in his fraud trial punishment by dint of more fraud.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Caros posted:

I'm fairly doomer pilled on trump ever seeing justice, but this sort of thing feels like it has to result in some sort of punishment for someone. They submitted a bond that:

1. Didn't contain relevant documents like financial statements as required by law. Most likely to conceal the below.
3. Was written by a company does not have the assets to cover the bond without going bankrupt, let alone the 10x figure required by law.

This is just surreal and the most trump thing I can imagine, complete with him gaining a month extension in his fraud trial punishment by dint of more fraud.

Don't worry, that cute lil' lawyer of his is happy to go to prison on his behalf.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

If he continues to commit fraud at each level of his fraud trial, the number of frauds between frauds will trend upwards and eventually diverge to infinity, creating a Zeno's paradox of fraud trials that can never actually be completed in a finite time

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Cimber posted:

Don't worry, that cute lil' lawyer of his is happy to go to prison on his behalf.

Draining the swamp, one accountant and lawyer at a time.

Caros
May 14, 2008

mdemone posted:

If he continues to commit fraud at each level of his fraud trial, the number of frauds between frauds will trend upwards and eventually diverge to infinity, creating a Zeno's paradox of fraud trials that can never actually be completed in a finite time

Ah, the Sam Bankman Fried defense.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Caros posted:

The likely thing is that it just gets rejected and if he doesn't have a bond ready then the judgement commences. So that 'one month extension' will be more like a six month loss of time, since having the bond is extremely important for him.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kchama posted:

The likely thing is that it just gets rejected and if he doesn't have a bond ready then the judgement commences. So that 'one month extension' will be more like a six month loss of time, since having the bond is extremely important for him.

No worries, I've got another bond right here.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Caros posted:

I didn't know Ted Cruz was a bondsman

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Rust Martialis posted:

One weird trick to avoid ever going to trial, chain sue the judges in charge of your case, then the judge in charge of hearing your suit on the case against the judge, then the judge in charge of the case hearing the suit against the judge in the second case, then...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

One weird trick to avoid ever going to trial, chain sue the judges in charge of your case, then the judge in charge of hearing your suit on the case against the judge, then the judge in charge of the case hearing the suit against the judge in the second case, then...

Just sue every judge so all the cases have to be ruled by Judge Cannon and she can dismiss them. Bing bong problem solved.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
He just needs to have the 5th circuit claim jurisdiction, like they are doing with every right wing pet project at the moment.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Kith posted:

I didn't know Ted Cruz was a bondsman

A bondsman, a travel agent, and so much more.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Asproigerosis posted:

He just needs to have the 5th circuit claim jurisdiction, like they are doing with every right wing pet project at the moment.

By what legal justification?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Caros posted:

Sounds like poor old man Donny was tricked by that dastardly Knight. The man was just trying to post a bond, how was he to know his bondsman was lying to the court. Hell, he never even met the guy outside the one time he brought Donny some coffee.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

By what legal justification?

*Throws a dart at the wall*

Looks like Provisional Estoppel.

Edit: Jokes aside part of the problem they have as of late is that they have used really flimsy excuses to take up cases where they should not have jurisdiction so they can make crazy rulings.

Caros fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 9, 2024

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Habba out

https://www.rawstory.com/alina-habba-2667719905/

I am sure she thought she was the special one who would melt trumps nonexistent heart and would rise to the Pinnacle of financial and political power.

Literally no one could have possibly predicted this.

cr0y fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 9, 2024

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

cr0y posted:

Habba out

I am sure she thought she was the special one who would melt trumps nonexistent heart and would rise to the Pinnacle of financial and political power.

Specifically from defending Weisselberg.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

cr0y posted:

Habba out

Literally no one could have possibly predicted this.

So how's the whole "convinced someone to fire their existing lawyer and take a bad offer after pretending to be their friend" thing working out for her? Still about to be disbarred for that as well? Man, it may be easier to list the lawyers that HAVEN'T been disbarred or about to be disbarred while doing poo poo for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Caros posted:

Whoa, didn't know Ted Cruz was gonna guarantee Trump's bond now :O

What are the bond terms for us non-serial-killers?