Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

That match was incredible all the heel spots getting huge pops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Eff you Water!!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

The_Rob posted:

Cody is the Jay z of wrestling. He’s a good wrestler who has some classic moments but ultimately is a fed who kept his ears close enough to the street that he could clout chase on different styles and ultimately became a parody of himself.

so we're all in agreement he's a wrestler

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

KungFu Grip posted:

so we're all in agreement he's a wrestler

no he's a sports entertainer

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Is Sports Entertainment still a thing? Do they still say that?

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Sandman from ECW posted:

Is Sports Entertainment still a thing? Do they still say that?

They've slowly been moving away from it since Vinnie the Rapist was ousted. I'm sure it's still used for corporate stuff or earnings calls or whatever, but certainly there isn't the ban on terms like "pro wrestling" on commentary like there used to be

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

its been much more free with pro-wrestling lingo and actually calling the in-ring stuff wrestling for a bit now yeah. cole straight up calls moves instead of just soundbytes

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1777387300235723055

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1777387839925207076

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Is that the same Rey Tigre as the "B!!!!" lovely Tiger from the Bryan & Vinny show from years ago or was that a different, just as bad Rey Tigre?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

isn't the john cena alex riley story about john cena squashing riley's push and crushing any chance he had at getting back out of nxt after he got sent down because alex riley was telling that story to anyone that would listen after he got released

then all the stories came out about riley being an absolute shithead to his coworkers, hotel staff, servers at restaurants etc

I could be remembering wrong but that's what I recall happening

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 8, 2024

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Before getting hooked with the Elite Cody's indie run was dire stuff and a joke.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Cody's dream match list had Mike Bennett at the top of it when he was on the indies.

Personally, Cody was always the least interesting of the Kenny/Bucks/NJPW rise during that period.

Anyway,
:lol:

https://x.com/maffewgregg/status/1777398113616990669?s=46

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I always pop for deadlock talking about Ken Anderson chewing gum like a freakin doofus, and knight is right up there with him

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CaptainApathyUK posted:

They've slowly been moving away from it since Vinnie the Rapist was ousted. I'm sure it's still used for corporate stuff or earnings calls or whatever, but certainly there isn't the ban on terms like "pro wrestling" on commentary like there used to be

Can't you even wear your championship belt like a, you know, belt now?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Gumball Gumption posted:

Before getting hooked with the Elite Cody's indie run was dire stuff and a joke.

Yea I was kind of wondering if Cody would have had the same trajectory if he never joined Bullet Club

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Can't you even wear your championship belt like a, you know, belt now?

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
:3:

https://x.com/maki_itoh/status/1777418486572024095?s=46

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Cavauro posted:

i checked how he really landed because he flops perfectly face first right as he lands and people are seeming very "worked" by it. meanwhile here's the reality

This guy just blocked out the sun 😔

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

NienNunb posted:

This guy just blocked out the sun 😔

Kaskuna

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the Seth SHIELD thing was really dumb bc all it did was emphasize how Mox is gone and if youve read Mox's book you KNOW that guy just despises WWE.

I think Taker showing up was prob "Stone Cold bailed and we needed something".

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
https://twitter.com/WrestlingHumble/status/1777385302249849032?t=LS7Kgr0wOsNuawCnDuaYGQ&s=19

Ricky Starks big Cody Crybaby.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Tweak posted:

Yea I was kind of wondering if Cody would have had the same trajectory if he never joined Bullet Club

Even the Bullet Club Cody stuff wasn't great in ring, it was the BTE Cody that really made him someone to follow, and even then it was his work in early AEW that really pushed him over the edge into the person WWE could capitalise on.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/LaughterHaver/status/1777173028012536242

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

All of that is true, but on the inside his run was very well-regarded from an optics standpoint. His showing up basically everywhere was getting a lot of eyes on the indies and he gained a lot of respect from other workers when he was training under Ricochet to figure out the independent style of the time. That's how it was in my circles, at least. His greatest strength was his carny ways of course but hey, they worked.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Cody genuinely did read the market and actually bolster it. He's not the only reason the indies and NJPW were hot in 2016-2018, but his influence and decision to leave WWE when he did and wrestle absolutely everywhere was extremely important. He's a carny and a liar (sometimes affectionate, sometimes not) and his sense for that is strong.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

All of that is true, but on the inside his run was very well-regarded from an optics standpoint. His showing up basically everywhere was getting a lot of eyes on the indies and he gained a lot of respect from other workers when he was training under Ricochet to figure out the independent style of the time. That's how it was in my circles, at least. His greatest strength was his carny ways of course but hey, they worked.

Yeah, I don't know if Cody was the first to do the "list of dream matches" thing but his tour of the indies (and NJPW) was a real highlight of the period.

also it was him taking the dare that Meltzer put down re: a 10,000+ capacity show not put on by WWE that led to the first All In, and we all know where the history went from there.

Lone Goat posted:

no he's a sports entertainer

I thought it was sports ennerdainer now :v:

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Having a mearly ok match with Okada means I'll never forget 3 star cody.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Suplex Liberace posted:

Having a mearly ok match with Okada means I'll never forget 3 star cody.

Same but Sami Zayn

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cody has continually backed himself and it has really paid off incredibly well, and good for him for doing so.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Counter-argument: AJ. Left TNA when they lowballed him and went to NJPW when they needed an opponent for Okada. Hooked up with the Bucks/Bullet Club and really became the ones who introduced them to an American audience, which restored him in the eyes of wrestling fans who already thought highly of him. Didn't outstay his welcome in NJPW and went to WWE when they were doing the brand split again so they were taking it seriously. Cena was starting to wrap up and put people over and AJ was the first one in line so he got the most rub, and they needed an opponent for Roman and AJ was able to main event against him, which put him in the upper card scene for essentially his whole WWE tenure.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

not really a close call there. a portion of that is not market reading on aj's part and another portion is not from the last decade

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

CaptainApathyUK posted:

"I love pro wrestling!!" Michael Cole, WrestleMania Eggs El

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
live by the carny, die by the carny

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
Fed co-opting the term pro wrestling and putting out unprecedented levels of dogshit, dragging down aew and every other promotion with heavy emphasis on pro wrestling by association. The cerebral assassin, Corporate Officer H.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/miyu_tjp/status/1777520833608478744

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

https://i.imgur.com/59hd6JZ.mp4

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
https://twitter.com/youngbucks/status/1776860326710894820?t=z_fE-O6iAvMktV58P-UPaw&s=19

its happening

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The tape better be really spicy.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Jumping into a random thread to say thanks to whomever changed my avatar. I’ll take jumpscare Cody-head over rapist any day!

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Back to crime for Miyu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/TherealRVD/status/1777780424342725063

Genuinely laughed out loud.