Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Literally A Person posted:

Guy likes lightning and waffles. What's the big deal????

He looks pretty rough for a36 years old, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Houle posted:

Coke started using corn syrup as their sweetener since 1984. New coke was likely a way to make the switch more palatable than it otherwise would have been by giving a really awful product then going back to classic formula.

If you want good coke check out Mexican coke. Still uses cane sugar.

And it still comes in glass bottles! No wonder it tastes so good.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
So glad I live in southern Arizona where Mexican coke is cheap and plentiful

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
You'd think coke would be smart enough to deliver the dry ingredients to large regions for distribution locally minimizing the cost of the additional weight glass has over plastic but who knows.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

doctorfrog posted:

This is nothing new in the world of deceptive packaging, but I noticed that Ritz crackers are now in smaller wrapped packages, a smaller box overall, and the marketing term for this is "FRESH STACKS." No, you're not being ripped off, you're gettin' FRESH STACKS.

I swear Ritz used to be a more robust cracker. try scoop some dip with one now and the cracker disintegrates into dust.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Houle posted:

You'd think coke would be smart enough to deliver the dry ingredients to large regions for distribution locally minimizing the cost of the additional weight glass has over plastic but who knows.

I'm pretty sure they do almost that, deliver the concentrated syrup only to various regions or countries. Most cola in Finland is bottled in Finland.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

UFOTacoMan posted:

I swear Ritz used to be a more robust cracker. try scoop some dip with one now and the cracker disintegrates into dust.

It's the dip that's been beefed up.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

On the topic of the proliferation of smartphones - has anyone noticed younger people struggle at typing? I imagine it depends on what you learned in school. Do schools still have typing/computer classes?

We used to hire interviewers on a contract basis for projects and I'd have to train them. It was a very easy job and only required a high school degree and getting past some very basic training. One thing I noticed with the younger trainees is that, apart from lacking most basic computer skills, most of them wouldn't use the shift key. They'd hit caps lock, type a letter, then hit caps lock again. I was moderately astonished at the time, but I guess that's because of cell phones?

And the lovely education system and the assumption that kids would just absorb computer skills if left to their own devices. The digital divide is still a thing!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Obviously way younger than you’re talking about, but I’ve been teaching my 5 and 7 year old kids basic PC functions. Typing, how to use M&KB, finding where files are located.

Very possible that by the time they are 20 everything is VR or whatever dumb bullshit but it felt really bad watching my 5 year old jam his grimy index finger at my desktop monitor to try and open Roblox for the first time.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Mulaney Power Move posted:

On the topic of the proliferation of smartphones - has anyone noticed younger people struggle at typing? I imagine it depends on what you learned in school. Do schools still have typing/computer classes?

We used to hire interviewers on a contract basis for projects and I'd have to train them. It was a very easy job and only required a high school degree and getting past some very basic training. One thing I noticed with the younger trainees is that, apart from lacking most basic computer skills, most of them wouldn't use the shift key. They'd hit caps lock, type a letter, then hit caps lock again. I was moderately astonished at the time, but I guess that's because of cell phones?

And the lovely education system and the assumption that kids would just absorb computer skills if left to their own devices. The digital divide is still a thing!

I am a "Caps Lock" on/off typer.

Lack of dexterity when I was learning how to type made it easier for me to do this workaround than hit Shift and another key at the same time. I wonder if that's the case with a lot of people who learn to type at a young age?

Now it's just ingrained and part of my rhythm. I still type 80 WPM. I see no reason to change.

There was the fun morning when my work computer upgraded and a huge "CAPS LOCK ON/CAPS LOCK OFF" notice would pop up on my screen. It got irritating very quickly. And, of course, none of the standard ways you can change the settings on to stop this from happening that I Googled worked.

I finally had to call the help desk and apparently it annoys enough people that they had to create a special page on how to turn it off.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Obviously way younger than you’re talking about, but I’ve been teaching my 5 and 7 year old kids basic PC functions. Typing, how to use M&KB, finding where files are located.

Very possible that by the time they are 20 everything is VR or whatever dumb bullshit but it felt really bad watching my 5 year old jam his grimy index finger at my desktop monitor to try and open Roblox for the first time.

I guess maybe they're not old enough to be in grade school yet, but I remember when I was in 1-3rd grade we had Commodore VIC-20s and we "learned" how to program simple things on them. It was mostly just copying code from the huge wall poster and watching a square move across the screen. But that was actual keyboard use in the early 80s.. I don't have kids, so I have no idea where the technology is at for kids today. Do they all use ipads now? No desktops? The working world is still PC centric, slowly moving to cloud based, but still being dumb terminals at the very end of the chain..

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I’ve got an 18 and 16 year old and neither received keyboarding as part of school. They seem to have picked up other computing tasks though - I suspect mostly because submitting work digitally is a rats nest of a half-dozen inexplicably awful classroom management tools.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Croccers posted:

They shrinkflated them in Aus. We don't have 'fresh stacks', it was just straight up a smaller box, I believe it was almost one third smaller.
It pissed me off to the point that I don't buy them now unless they're on sale.

Htbh, but shrinkflation for junk food is a public health service. Most people eat a whole pack in one sitting, so a smaller package size means less damage to your body and the experience of eating just 125g of chips instead of 150g is not substantially different

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My kids are only 10 but one got a laptop and the other wanted a desktop PC, so I am thinking that puts them ahead of the curve.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I've spoken with a bunch of university TAs who say it's mind boggling how many students don't know how things like a directory structure works and how many problems that ends up causing. It's so bizarre seeing students who managed to get into a STEM program struggle with how if you copy and paste a file or folder, that doesn't make them the same thing. My best guess is they've grown up using the cloud, leading them to think that everything just magically syncs up if it has the same name.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I think the idea that we'd reach a point where computer skills would just seem natural and that digital literacy would just be a given is another one of those optimistic takes from 20-30 years ago that seems hopelessly naive in retrospect.

Back then there was also this notion that widespread use of the Internet would also spread knowledge and foster enlightenment and lead to a more ideal democratic society lol

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yeah, the kids I work with today are almosy just as bad as my parent's generation. They simply don't get the basic computer classes and warning about the internet and stuff that I got in school 20+ years ago , so despite relying on their phone for like half their social life and entertainment they're pretty illiterate once you ask them about anything outside of their preferred apps.

I think this is also why poo poo like Peterson, Tate etc got so popular. It was drilled into me to be careful online, never give your real name or other details, the internet is filled with scammers, weirdos and perverts etc. but it's like the schools assume the parents will teach them basic internet safety and the parents assume the school will. Or they just assume that the kids grew up with the internet so they must already know all this stuff.

Multiple times I've had talks with a 14 year old who had been online for like half a decade and nobody had ever talked to them about this poo poo. Like yeah no poo poo you lost access to your accounts because you entered your details on some scammy site to get free ingame currency.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Even nature can't avoid getting shittier. The sun just keeps getting dimmer and dimmer today.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

I think the idea that we'd reach a point where computer skills would just seem natural and that digital literacy would just be a given is another one of those optimistic takes from 20-30 years ago that seems hopelessly naive in retrospect.

Back then there was also this notion that widespread use of the Internet would also spread knowledge and foster enlightenment and lead to a more ideal democratic society lol

There was a brief point where people around our age almost universally knew it and older people were doing well enough but there was decades of inertia behind abstracting the filesystem away so dumb people could computer and that happened to align nicely with locking down the mobile ecosystem, which itself had a number of motivating factors.

and now not quite 20 years later somehow young people who fuckoff online all day manage to know less than my mom.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It's the inevitable trend of anything that gets commercialized and streamlined for broad consumption. Early cars used to come with home repair kits and require aircraft-like starting sequences, now you literally push a button and they don't even have spare tires.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Can't wait till everything is on computers, that will mean less paper

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Even nature can't avoid getting shittier. The sun just keeps getting dimmer and dimmer today.

It's all those solar panels, sucking away the sun's energy.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I got my tax records from the IRS and they sent me a paper letter telling me someone purporting to be me logged into their website. Thanks for the heads up, those are sensitive documents, but some part of my brain couldn't help but recoil that a piece of paper was physically carried to my front door that said "Do you recognize this login?"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

Still waiting to see if it actually comes back.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

McSpanky posted:

It's the inevitable trend of anything that gets commercialized and streamlined for broad consumption. Early cars used to come with home repair kits and require aircraft-like starting sequences, now you literally push a button and they don't even have spare tires.

Cars really have gotten terrible and this is basically why IMO. Cars peaked in the 90s

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Turned out bad info and good info spread equally well.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

wash bucket posted:

Turned out bad info and good info spread equally well.

Nah, bad info spreads way more easily because it can be anything your audience wants to hear. Good info has to be true, and sometimes that's painful/boring/etc etc.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm pretty sure they do almost that, deliver the concentrated syrup only to various regions or countries. Most cola in Finland is bottled in Finland.

That's how it works. There are bottling plants everywhere. Turns out shipping mostly water is not cost effective when you can source it locally for cheap.

Each state in the US will have several each of Pepsi and Coke, and maybe some Dr Pepper. Those places will even bottle for other companies and competitors. It used to be that you could find Dr Pepper or 7up in different bottles depending on if it was bottled by Coke or Pepsi, but that's not as common now that they are building out their own bottling plants more.

On things getting shittier, Mexican Coke has corn syrup now. Only Mexican Coke produced specifically for export has pure cane sugar. If the nutrition label is in Spanish and English then it's probably cane sugar, if only in Spanish then maybe not.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
We are in the Metal Gear Solid II timeline my friends.

https://youtu.be/eKl6WjfDqYA

Start at 2:03.

The future is horrific and full of camp.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Houle posted:

We are in the Metal Gear Solid II timeline my friends.

https://youtu.be/eKl6WjfDqYA

Start at 2:03.

The future is horrific and full of camp.

been sayin this for years

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I mean, the approach to this stuff is basically like saying, "There's words written everywhere! Kids will just naturally learn to read! What's the point in teaching them?"

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Sundae posted:

Nah, bad info spreads way more easily because it can be anything your audience wants to hear. Good info has to be true, and sometimes that's painful/boring/etc etc.

"A lie is halfway around the world before the truth has tied its shoes."

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm getting really fed up with the Google address verification API lately. They rolled it out however long ago and the whole point was that anything asking for an address online, like shipping on ecommerce websites, would verify the address against the Google Address Verification API to make sure the customer was entering a real, valid address. And it has been annoying all along. I worked in ecommerce when it rolled out and we dealt with near-constant edge case issues where someone in bumfuck nowhere wouldn't be able to validate their address because it was part of a census designated place or military base or whatever instead of a regular mailing address, meaning they literally could not put through orders. Even though printing the address as they gave it to us on a shipping label and giving it to any shipping company would have worked just fine.

But now it's loving us up at my new job where I have to schedule service trucks and equipment delivery because the scheduling software that we use (a salesforce plugin!!!) decided to start enforcing google address verification and now for example if a customer enters their address as "123 whatever drive" or "456 wherever avenue" instead of "123 whatever dr" or "456 wherever ave" it throws a fit and doesn't let us schedule the visit until I go in and manually correct the address on the work order to whatever exact, specific format Google address verification uses. Rebuilding the system our sales agents use to enforce address verification at the time of entry is not feasible. So now I get to do extra work just because google believes "avenue" is a fake word

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 9, 2024

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Way to dovetail this topic into the ai one

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Google thinks the street in my address requires a cardinal direction, but that doesn't happen until father down the road (and can render stuff undeliverable when actual mail hits later steps) - a good chunk of sites won't accept the real billing/shipping of "123 fake st" instead of "123 n fake st" because google is dumb

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

When did YouTube start doing this??? Popped up after like 10 minutes of viewing. I barely had time to finish my meal. :mad:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

wash bucket posted:

When did YouTube start doing this??? Popped up after like 10 minutes of viewing. I barely had time to finish my meal. :mad:

the moment they decided that they needed to eat their own product save on outgoing bandwidth

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
They don't want to serve you precious precious ads if you're not going to watch them.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Motherfucker. That's why these 3-hour videos I play to fall asleep to are only halfway done in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Back in the day you used to be able to preload all the tabs in advance and watch at your heart's content. Back when my Internet was slow id basically load up my days viewing for later and play at night.