Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I don't think that will change how little they've been scoring.

Yeah, the dominant play simply hasn't been there and scoring has dropped off and that started before Demko broke down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I just learned that Keith Tkachuk has two sons in the NHL and both are really good too. Time flies.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jack's Flow posted:

I just learned that Keith Tkachuk has two sons in the NHL and both are really good too. Time flies.

3, they consider Robert Thomas like a son. He does make very smooth passes after all.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Jack's Flow posted:

You'll be happy to know they are just as big of, if not bigger, poo poo stirring stains than he is. Only one is good. Robert Thomas is also good.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Korpisalo/Forsberg may be the worst goaltending tandem I’ve ever seen for the Sens, both under contract for next year too lol

Need Pierre pulled through the city on an oxcart so fans can chuck tomatoes at him as he passes, only true way for us to heal

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Need the Sens to catch a random super hot streak so Pierre doesn't get fired and continues to stay the hell off my screen

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
He got fired already I thought. By the daughters. Think they were mega skeeved by him? He works for Sportsnet again.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, he got fired like 2 years ago. His career in hockey is so funny.

1 year as a scout with the Penguins
1 year as an assistant coach with the Penguins
1 year as an assistant coach with the Whalers
1 year as a head coach with the whalers
1 year as a scout and assistant coach of the Senators
1 year as head coach of the ECHL's Baton Rouge Kingfish
Then a whole bunch of time in broadcasting followed by
1 year as senior vice president of player development with the Senators
Then back to broadcasting.

Guy never managed more than a year in a position with any team

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

fermun posted:

Yeah, he got fired like 2 years ago. His career in hockey is so funny.

1 year as a scout with the Penguins
1 year as an assistant coach with the Penguins
1 year as an assistant coach with the Whalers
1 year as a head coach with the whalers
1 year as a scout and assistant coach of the Senators
1 year as head coach of the ECHL's Baton Rouge Kingfish
Then a whole bunch of time in broadcasting followed by
1 year as senior vice president of player development with the Senators
Then back to broadcasting.

Guy never managed more than a year in a position with any team

Dunno if this is legit or just Dorion and the amateur scouts trying to save some of their reputation, but it was rumored McGuire was the deciding factor in drafting Tyler Boucher 10th overall lol

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

The Dirty Burger posted:

Korpisalo/Forsberg may be the worst goaltending tandem I’ve ever seen for the Sens, both under contract for next year too lol

Need Pierre pulled through the city on an oxcart so fans can chuck tomatoes at him as he passes, only true way for us to heal

That korpisalo contract remains one of the most baffling things in sports management I've ever seen.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AlexMicheletti/status/1777130951195218064

going to my doctor and showing him this clip and asking for whatever drugs they started giving Laf at the beginning of the season, because the kid is so sick now

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
his pass to Panarin on that give and go goal was underrated slick as hell

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

https://twitter.com/AlexMicheletti/status/1777130951195218064

going to my doctor and showing him this clip and asking for whatever drugs they started giving Laf at the beginning of the season, because the kid is so sick now

because after watching this your erection lasted more than 4 hours?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

because after watching this your erection lasted more than 4 hours?

Eric I know what you're trying to go for but it sounds like you're saying Laf is skating around the ice just rock hard. which I hope not, for his health

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Eric I know what you're trying to go for but it sounds like you're saying Laf is skating around the ice just rock hard. which I hope not, for his health

Puts a new spin on a spearing penalty though.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Detroit won and Washington lost. This is one of the most interesting playoff races I can remember.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
What is extra interesting to me is that Washington has five games left and three of them are against Detroit, Philly, and Buffalo. Everyone else has only has 1 or 2 games left against teams in that wild card hunt

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

rex rabidorum vires posted:

You'll be happy to know they are just as big of, if not bigger, poo poo stirring stains than he is. Only one is good. Robert Thomas is also good.

Reading up on the family and their dad still isn’t in the Hall of Fame. One the one hand, haha, on the other, he did score a lot of goals.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

An octogenarian ex-pro hockey player friend of mine once thought it would be a good idea to go ring Keith Tkachuk's doorbell and introduce himself as a fellow hockey brother.

It turned out not to be a good idea.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

An octogenarian ex-pro hockey player friend of mine once thought it would be a good idea to go ring Keith Tkachuk's doorbell and introduce himself as a fellow hockey brother.

It turned out not to be a good idea.
Alright I need details

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
why did my stupid rear end think octogenarian meant over 100 lol. anyway yea come on bro you can't leave it at that, did tkachuk drop kick a geezer or what

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's not that exciting, he just got a profane tirade about who the gently caress do you think you are just coming up to my loving house and etc. He said Tkachuk looked and sounded tipsy but it was like 11:00 AM and with him it's probably tough to tell the difference.

The Tkachuks are meatheads among meatheads

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

My team sucks and I hate them and also myself for caring so much

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's not that exciting, he just got a profane tirade about who the gently caress do you think you are just coming up to my loving house and etc. He said Tkachuk looked and sounded tipsy but it was like 11:00 AM and with him it's probably tough to tell the difference.
Lol nah your friend was probably right

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Eric the Mauve posted:

He said Tkachuk looked and sounded tipsy but it was like 11:00 AM and with him it's probably tough to tell the difference.

Sounds like your octogenarian friend is not experiencing cognitive decline.

Unlike Keith Tkachuk.

edit for real hockey content:

Much has been said about McDavid notching 100 assists this season, but has much been said about both McDavid and Kucherov notching 100 assists this season? He's sitting at 93 with 5 games left, averaging 2a/game over his last 12.

MacKinnon, meanwhile, has an outside shot at going 50g/90a.

What a season.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 8, 2024

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Habibi posted:

Much has been said about McDavid notching 100 assists this season, but has much been said about both McDavid and Kucherov notching 100 assists this season? He's sitting at 93 with 5 games left, averaging 2a/game over his last 12.

Kucherov has got 35 assists in his last 20 and they play Columbus, Ottawa, Washington, Buffalo, and Toronto down the stretch. Unless they decide to rest him at all I think there's a good chance he makes it to 100 too, which would be insane.

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo
A far cry from the dark days of 2014-15 where Jamie Benn won the Art Ross with 87 points.

In 2014-2015, only five players had 80+ points and 19 had 70+.

In 2023-2024, 21 players are at 80+ and 44 have 70+, and each milestone has a few players knocking on the door with still games left to play.

Hockey is fun again.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
We've got three players with 130+ points, last time that happened was in 1992-93 (and there were six guys who did it then).

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Habibi posted:

What a season.
The last 2 years have practically rewritten the cap era record book.

Conor already has the assists mark and Kucherov is 3 back of Thornton.

Matthews is one back of Ovie for goals.

McD got the points mark last year and the top 3 are 2-4.

Matthews is tied with Stamkos with 48 even strength goals (50 would be top 10 all time).

Conor is tied with Orr and one back of Bobby Clarke for the all time non-Wayne even strength assist record (Gretz has 1-11).

MacKinnon is 3 back of Gaudreau for the ES points mark (Kuch and Conor are 5 back).

Drain and McD have the G/A/P powerplay marks from last year.

And there's the numbers Karlsson and Jodi picked up from the blueline last year as well.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Getting to 100 points is still a really big deal, right? I saw that Draisaitl has done it 5 times already (including the ongoing season). Amazing that McDavid is on that team too. So much firepower.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Also an outside chance for 6 50+ goal scorers, this season has been incredible

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Jack's Flow posted:

Getting to 100 points is still a really big deal, right? I saw that Draisaitl has done it 5 times already (including the ongoing season). Amazing that McDavid is on that team too. So much firepower.

Kind of. Scoring has been trending way up, the days of only seeing one or two guys (or nobody at all) hitting 100 points is long gone, but we still haven't gotten back to early 90s levels where you have like 15-20 guys scoring that many points in a single year.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Jack's Flow posted:

Well it's still an accomplishment - 10 players are on pace for it this year - but still much more common that it was not very long ago. There were a few years in the 2000s where it was very rare and players who did it would win the MVP in landslide votes. In a lot of years 90 points was pretty rare, too. In the 4 year stretch from 2013-14 to 2016-17 only 3 players broke 90 points.

God, 2002 had 4 players hit 80 points.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I've had this thought for the last couple of years that this next decade is going to represent a sort of hockey 'golden age,' as the next generation of players - the first to have been raised in an environment of unfettered access to the greatest heights of hockey brilliance as they happen - begin to enter the league. We've rapidly gone from an era where a guy doing a crazy thing was an occasional highlight on a niche channel to one where it is beamed on demand to the public at large, in slow-motion and from multiple angles, and is followed a week later by clips of 10 year olds doing the same thing on their parent's Instagrams.* This will impact all sports to some degree, but IMO it has a disproportional impact on "skill sports" like hockey, where knowing how to use your tools is such a big part of the game.

I think we've already seen this affect existing NHL players in recent years, with dudes routinely and deliberately practicing techniques and moves that had previously been one-off feats of inspiration and / or disrespect, and I think that it - combined with all of the developments on the analytics and strategy side - is only going to accelerate in the coming years.

The next NHL generation will be the TikTok generation and it will blow us all away.

*unfortunately, this means a lot of 10 year old goalies are getting beaned in the head from behind the net this week by eager teammates trying to do a Marchenko.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Habibi posted:

What a season.

I think the reason Kucherov hasn’t been getting as much buzz was because only recently has it appeared like he could do it. Like you said, 2A a game in his previous 12 has made it much more likely.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://x.com/andystrickland/status/1777381426733699206?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

They’re starting the redemption tour already, when does Gary reinstate him?

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://x.com/andystrickland/status/1777381426733699206?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

"Since the issue is clearly endemic in junior hockey, it is the NHL's opinion that it is unfair to punish Quenville..."

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The Dirty Burger posted:

He will be back. I think he will be able to play the redemption role a lot better than Babcock who apparently can’t go twenty minutes without committing fireable offenses.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Forrest on Fire posted:

"Since the issue is clearly endemic in junior hockey, it is the NHL's opinion that it is unfair to punish Quenville..."

John Davidson presser the next day: "I would like to announce the hiring of our new head coach Joel...Uhm, actually, I regret to announce the firing of our head coach Joel Queenville".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
There's only been 125 players in the entire history of the NHL to ever hit 100 points in a season. It's a fairly select group to be in.

1000 career points is also surprisingly lower than I thought it'd be, with less than 100 all time achieving the feat.