Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

FlamingLiberal posted:

They are going to make so much ancient cum

It is kinda funny to me that there are the parallels between what the Progenitors did and Elon Musk’s fan club’s idea of blasting humans out to seed lots of planets because we’ve hosed Earth up so bad. Like, maybe the Progenitors weren’t some wise, thoughtful ancient race, it was just a couple of d-bags that everybody hated being too obsessed with their weird eugenicist ideas of what life across the galaxy should be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Since all we saw of the Progenitors was a recording, it would be funny if they just... didn't look like that at all. One big front, and no one would know the wiser because they've all been dead for billions of years

The real Progenitors might just be drunk baby Clint Howard again, or the Silent Hill "dog ending"

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
They should just get Salome Jens to play another Progenitor hologram, and she could say “it took you eight hundred years to resolve your differences enough to figure this out?” and shake her head with disappointment.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Strange New Worlds does 85% of the things right that all the other new trek shows do wrong. I have a hard time getting through episodes of Discovery....

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Blue Moonlight posted:

They should just get Salome Jens to play another Progenitor hologram, and she could say “it took you eight hundred years to resolve your differences enough to figure this out?” and shake her head with disappointment.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I will also never get used to those weird brainstorming sessions that this show likes to do.

I think they're trying to do a modernised version of The Conference Lounge?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Except it's gotta be fast paced and exciting to keep people interested.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Imagine complaining about the scenes where characters talk out the episode’s challenges in a Star Trek

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Accipiter posted:

Jesus I'm so glad I stopped watching that thing in the middle of S2.

Literally in the middle of an episode I got fed up, said out loud "I can't watch this poo poo anymore," stopped it, and never looked back.

Same here.

I just walked off in the middle of an episode and started doing the ironing or something. No show can come back from making he prefer doing laundry poo poo over watching it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Blue Moonlight posted:

“…you’ve resolved all your differences, right?”
<uncomfortable shuffling>

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

“…you’ve resolved all your differences, right?”
<uncomfortable shuffling>

At least the Federation can go 'well we're loving trying'

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

There was a lot more than that. The long-dead aliens from this episode were previously from TNG's 'Booby Trap'

They're from 'The Chase', not 'Booby Trap'

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Is spoiler tagged discussion of the Season 5 sneak peek trailer allowed in here, because I'm very interested in what they're doing with that ship in it.

Regarding the Progenitor tech, I'm hoping they follow all the clues and it turns out someone dug it up centuries ago, and the Ferengi were just using it to build custom luxury planets for profit or some poo poo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Technowolf posted:

They're from 'The Chase', not 'Booby Trap'

Not the progenitors, the dead race on Lyrec was from Titty Pitfall

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

It's pretty funny that Season 5 Discovery is basically just Boimler's Crisis Point 2 from Lower Decks which was cliche and bad as a joke.

"We have to get the ChronogamiAncient Cumblaster from the Romulan SistersMercenaries! Get on speeder bikes for no reason to have a cool action scene!"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well they got on speederbikes because the people they were after were escaping on speederbikes to their cloaked ship.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It is bizarre, or maybe very telling, that Michael Burnham restarted the Federation and saved the galaxy twice but she's still just a captain. They don't make her an admiral, they still treat her like she's some regular, albeit loose cannon captain. Maybe I missed it but there wasn't even the Kirk style, turn down a promotion or even just going rogue since I don't think she's ever gone beyond a slap on the wrist from future Starfleet. Even then, they went from just being cosplayers and the equivalent of guys in modern day central Europe carrying on about how their ancestor was the elector of a principality that existed from 1476-1490 to acting like "present" Starfleet. Discovery is honestly a blur and it's gotten worse as it went from trying to do Star Trek stories to just doing action set piece to action set piece with a reference to a TNG episode they're probably completely missing the point to.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
drat it only took less than a week and a bunch of nitpicking for people to already turn on Disco season 5

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It is bizarre, or maybe very telling, that Michael Burnham restarted the Federation and saved the galaxy twice but she's still just a captain. They don't make her an admiral, they still treat her like she's some regular, albeit loose cannon captain. Maybe I missed it but there wasn't even the Kirk style, turn down a promotion or even just going rogue since I don't think she's ever gone beyond a slap on the wrist from future Starfleet.

I feel like it's not much weirder than Picard's accomplishments and his promotion to Admiral happened off-screen at some point. But then again it's Starfleet, they probably learned with Kirk that you don't promote your successful ship captains.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It is bizarre, or maybe very telling, that Michael Burnham restarted the Federation and saved the galaxy twice but she's still just a captain. They don't make her an admiral, they still treat her like she's some regular, albeit loose cannon captain. Maybe I missed it but there wasn't even the Kirk style, turn down a promotion or even just going rogue since I don't think she's ever gone beyond a slap on the wrist from future Starfleet.

iirc at the start of season 4 the President has her short-listed as a candidate to take over the Pathway Drive project, in the finale she turns the offer down to stay on Discovery

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

Is spoiler tagged discussion of the Season 5 sneak peek trailer allowed in here, because I'm very interested in what they're doing with that ship in it.

The least annoying thing they can do is probably time-travelling ISS Enterprise with Mirror Pike and Goatee Spock

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Pinterest Mom posted:

The least annoying thing they can do is probably time-travelling ISS Enterprise with Mirror Pike and Goatee Spock

Ethan Peck would look good as hell in a goatee, let's be honest

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Big Mean Jerk posted:

drat it only took less than a week and a bunch of nitpicking for people to already turn on Disco season 5

Nah mate, Disco has sucked for a long time, people are just being consistent.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I re-watched 5x01 with my son (who likes it, just like he likes all the other modern Trek). We had coincidentally watched The Chase a few weeks ago while working his way through TNG.

The music this season is going hard. And both 5x01 and 5x02 have some pretty gorgeous “matte painting” sort of shots of the outpost and the necropolis.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
There’s been a couple scenes this season where they really seemed like they’ve finally figured out what works and what doesn’t re: filming with their Mandalorian-style “Volume” sets.

The only one that looked kinda bad and obviously limited was the desert market reaction shots during the landslide. It probably helps that they now have two shows using it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Trailer speculation:

Could be the Defiant that fell into the mirror universe they brought up in S1?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Nah mate, Disco has sucked for a long time, people are just being consistent.

Sure. But how about when a new season starts we discuss the new season, rather than bringing up old grievances again.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I turned on Disco a long time ago, but now I'm in sunk cost territory, and it's ending, so why not.

It's also a Star Trek show, and I watch all of them for some reason.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Facebook Aunt posted:

Sure. But how about when a new season starts we discuss the new season, rather than bringing up old grievances again.

its the same show between seasons. they fix some things, break others worse, but overall it remains dogshit. a new season isnt some blank slate where you have to forget everything leading to it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Trailer speculation:

We see a ship twice, once at :52 and once at 1:00. The first time, it's the wrecked hull of the Enterprise. The second time, you can't tell for sure it's the Enterprise, but it's not wrecked. Maybe it's time-travel, or interspacing flashbacks during the SNW era while they're exploring the wreck in Disco era, or something else.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

punishedkissinger posted:

its the same show between seasons. they fix some things, break others worse, but overall it remains dogshit. a new season isnt some blank slate where you have to forget everything leading to it.

picard certainly thought it was

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Picard is unique in that you're meant to forget every moment of it forever.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

punishedkissinger posted:

Uh huh. Can we just leave it as generally understood that Disco is dogshit then? It is a constant of the universe. We don't need to keep brining it up.

And then, just for the 2 months that they release new episodes, stick to discussing the new episodes. It's just a couple months. Afterwards we'll have eternity to discuss the work as a whole . (A whole pile of dogshit).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Trailer speculation:

Pinterest Mom posted:

We see a ship twice, once at :52 and once at 1:00. The first time, it's the wrecked hull of the Enterprise. The second time, you can't tell for sure it's the Enterprise, but it's not wrecked. Maybe it's time-travel, or interspacing flashbacks during the SNW era while they're exploring the wreck in Disco era, or something else.

Tweet embeds don’t spoiler properly so I won’t post them, but Jorg screenshotted those trailer bits and it’s pretty clearly the Mirror 1701. There’s also a shot of the two antagonists in a redress of the SNW sickbay with Mirror Universe graphics and the 1701 registry on the displays.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s been a couple scenes this season where they really seemed like they’ve finally figured out what works and what doesn’t re: filming with their Mandalorian-style “Volume” sets.

The only one that looked kinda bad and obviously limited was the desert market reaction shots during the landslide. It probably helps that they now have two shows using it.

I think they've had a much better handle on what their virtual sets can do compared to the Disney people pretty much since they started using them honestly.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Seemlar posted:

I think they've had a much better handle on what their virtual sets can do compared to the Disney people pretty much since they started using them honestly.

I dunno, there was some really rough use of it last season. Like the prison break planet and the finale stuff with the 10C.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think a big part of it is that the people more inclined to like Disco watched it earlier than those with more doubts

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is Strange New Worlds worth watching? I loved Picard Season 3 and am a child of 80s and 90s Star Trek. I think Discovery is awful and doesn't feel like Star Trek at all.

Given these viewpoints, would SNW be more in the vein of Discovery or Picard Season 3? I watched its first episode which did nothing for me but I'd be willing to try it if it's "your father's Star Trek".

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I think its worth watching. I happen to love it, but even if I didn't, there's still some interesting stuff going on that might pull someone else in.

I'm not gonna say its the same, but Strange New Worlds is closer to TNG era Trek than it is to Discovery or Picard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is Strange New Worlds worth watching?

Absolutely one thousand percent yes.