Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I thought the campaign for Titanfall 2 was good but a majority of my time spent with that game was in MP. I can definitely see someone playing the TF2 campaign for the first time in 2024 with probably nobody playing MP and feeling a bit "that's it? that's the game?". The clan tag system was a cool way to drop into games with goons without having to actually run a clan since it was all just whoever set their tag was in the clan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Titanfall 2 is incredible in relation to the single player experiences typical among its console-shooter peers, and the fact that it was a follow up to an online-only shooter wherein the story was more premise that took place essentially in voice stingers before and after matches. Part of its reputation is tied to how good it was compared to the expectations it had at release.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
Both the PvP and PvE multiplayer were so much fun. Papa Scorch forever in my heart.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Soul Glo posted:

Titanfall 2 is incredible in relation to the single player experiences typical among its console-shooter peers, and the fact that it was a follow up to an online-only shooter wherein the story was more premise that took place essentially in voice stingers before and after matches. Part of its reputation is tied to how good it was compared to the expectations it had at release.

Feel like it was basically the last AAA shooter with a really fun campaign, too. CoD: Infinite Warfare also came out that year and was ok, but then it feels like they started phoning it in, and Black Ops 4 didn't include a story or campaign mode at all.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Titanfall 2 has an interesting level design and neat surprising mechanics. Something that you see rarely in AAA FPS games.

I get big Half-Life 2 vibes from it. More so than any other non-Valve game.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
The developers of Dagon (pretty good Lovecraft adaptation/walking sim) have an early demo for their next game out, which seems to be "Inscryption but you're playing pool" -- pretty fun concept.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2873750/Pool_of_Madness/

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Jarvisi posted:

So I finally got Titanfall 2 when it was on sale and I can't figure out the hype. The shooting seems..okay? The story is also okay. The robot sections are better but so far between the foot sections that it doesn't seem worth it. What's with all the love for this game?

The campaign felt varied and didn't overstay its welcome, the multiplayer was a rush and it kinda had MOBA style creeps that you could take out so even if you sucked it felt badass.

Oh yeah, giant robots are kinda universally cool.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The mech combat in TF2 was terrible, it was way more fun to be a shotgun parkour predator

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

goferchan posted:

"Inscryption but you're playing pool"

Immediate wishlist, thanks!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Titanfall 2 had one of the best feeling mechs I've used in a videogame.
Most game have either annoying to use tanks-on-legs ala Battletech, or completely weightless anime-style mechs, meanwhile Titanfall 2 managed to strike a really good balance between the two.

EDIT: I'm talking about the singleplayer here. I never touched the multiplayer.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

RBA Starblade posted:

The mech combat in TF2 was terrible, it was way more fun to be a shotgun parkour predator

yeah the worst mode by far was the 6v6 mech only mode, it felt really cool to take out a mech as an infantryman. The individual mechs had a lot of options and cool abilities but it's so hard to design a game with both fragile soldiers and massive walking tanks in it.

The more I think about it, it wasn't uncommon the sole use for my mech was trying to drop it on somethings head

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord

RBA Starblade posted:

As someone who wasn't great at the fast-paced Titanfall 2 pilot multiplayer, I really enjoyed the mech-only matches.

I was decent at using the mechs, but even when I wasn't the mech combat still made me feel like a badass.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
You know Dagon's been in my library forever since it was free at one point. I should get around to playing it one of these days. Anyway, here's my steam roundup of the past couple weeks:

Cultist Simulator: I thought this had a clunky interface on the deck but then playing it on PC I realized no, its just clunky in general. Its weirdly annoying to sift through cards, though I can see why being able to put them wherever you want is useful. Aside from that I love how opaque and kind of listless it feels and how much I have no idea what I'm doing. Pleasantly ugly vibes.

Final Fantasy VII: I never owned a PS1 or PS2 and actually originally played this on PC, so having the worst PC controls of all time didn't actually faze me as much as it could have, but my much lower tolerance for slow turn-based battles may be what ends this run for me. I don't even want to think about trying Fort Condor again :gonk:. Still, its funny to jump from Remake to this and have the opening bombing mission 'feel' almost exactly the same, despite the ancient graphics and little snippets of text in place of full conversations.

Grand Theft Auto IV: I was annoyed to learn all R* games on PC have their terrible launcher, and I was annoyed to relearn how quickly most R* games devolve into every mission being you shooting thirty guys behind chest-high walls, but despite that I'm still having a good time fish-tailing all over the place like its 2008. You would think that all the surface-level parodies would have worn thin after all this time but honestly they feel more normalized then ever? The gym bro screaming about being alpha and the hip hop guy desperate to be famous and the radio guy talking about how its unpatriotic to go down on your wife are just like...basic social media personalities now. It turns out culture has been stagnant for over two decades. Pretty neat!

Shadow of Mordor: I have this weird thing where I love the first part of this game where you're helping the extremely pathetic orc, Ratbag, advance his career by killing all of his rivals, but then it kind of falls off when you get to the 'creating a magic army' part. I've probably played that part a dozen times and the rest maybe twice, I think because the game is so easy that the farther you advance the harder it is to die so the less you see of the nemesis system which is the main reason you're playing...but anyway, since this was one of those games I got for nearly free in that WB bundle awhile back I decided to give it a shot again on the deck, and hey...pretty good.

Slay the Spire: Will I ever not be playing this? No. Will I ever get good at it? Also no. I did manage to beat it with the fourth character through luck and was annoyed you don't actually unlock anything that way.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

Shadow of Mordor: I have this weird thing where I love the first part of this game where you're helping the extremely pathetic orc, Ratbag, advance his career by killing all of his rivals, but then it kind of falls off when you get to the 'creating a magic army' part. I've probably played that part a dozen times and the rest maybe twice, I think because the game is so easy that the farther you advance the harder it is to die so the less you see of the nemesis system which is the main reason you're playing...but anyway, since this was one of those games I got for nearly free in that WB bundle awhile back I decided to give it a shot again on the deck, and hey...pretty good.

Shadow of War is loving incredible and feels like an actual complete game, compared to the more experimental Shadow of Mordor. I strongly recommend it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shadow of Mordor has my favorite incidental dialogue in any game, with a bunch of orcs standing around pretty sure that Sauron isn't even real man, it's the overseers keeping them down, and they probably could just walk right on out of this dump.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

goferchan posted:

The developers of Dagon (pretty good Lovecraft adaptation/walking sim) have an early demo for their next game out, which seems to be "Inscryption but you're playing pool" -- pretty fun concept.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2873750/Pool_of_Madness/

Oh, this sounds really cool, gonna have to check out the demo and wishlist.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

RBA Starblade posted:

:prepop:

I mean I enjoyed both aspects equally but I thought the mechs felt great, just big stompy robots with huge guns/swords.

I found a huge appreciation for them in Frontier Defense the most though, fighting AI titans was way more fun than dealing with the sweats online.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Jack Trades posted:

Shadow of War is loving incredible and feels like an actual complete game, compared to the more experimental Shadow of Mordor. I strongly recommend it.

i've played a bit of SoW on PS4 but never finished it because it's just too loving huge (though oddly I finished the roguelite mode DLC like three times), i was definitely planning on getting back into it after completing The Ratbag Arc in SoM

its so weird that SoW was kind of the end of an era as far as that whole Batman freeflow counter system went, much like all the GTA-likes that sprang up ten years ago i just assumed we'd be getting Arkham-likes forever and forever but not even actual Batman games release by the same studio are doing it anymore

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I really liked both, I appreciate that there were multiplayer modes for both. Wish TF2 had matches against AI bots. So many players now run really bullshit builds that are unfun to play against.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

i've played a bit of SoW on PS4 but never finished it because it's just too loving huge (though oddly I finished the roguelite mode DLC like three times), i was definitely planning on getting back into it after completing The Ratbag Arc in SoM

its so weird that SoW was kind of the end of an era as far as that whole Batman freeflow counter system went, much like all the GTA-likes that sprang up ten years ago i just assumed we'd be getting Arkham-likes forever and forever but not even actual Batman games release by the same studio are doing it anymore

The modern Spider-Man games are pretty drat close.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

im really interested in the Three Kingdoms total war game cause the Koei turn based ones are so expensive and never go on decent sales. i had never played a total war game before so i tried the Warhammer 2 total war i got for free on epic. its fun but i dont care for the setting at all so three kingdoms seems like itd be good for me. it has much worse reviews on steam though. is it bad? the reviews talk about it being abandoned and glitchy among other things.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Kly posted:

im really interested in the Three Kingdoms total war game cause the Koei turn based ones are so expensive and never go on decent sales. is it bad? the reviews talk about it being abandoned and glitchy among other things.

No, it's not bad -- it's one of the better TW games for novices to come in plus the setting's great. It's not abandoned either, just doesn't have more DLC coming.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah it’s only abandoned in the sense that people thought it would get more DLC than it did and support ended weird and abruptly. As is I think it’s the best TW game in most aspects. Highly recommend it.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Kly posted:

im really interested in the Three Kingdoms total war game cause the Koei turn based ones are so expensive and never go on decent sales. i had never played a total war game before so i tried the Warhammer 2 total war i got for free on epic. its fun but i dont care for the setting at all so three kingdoms seems like itd be good for me. it has much worse reviews on steam though. is it bad? the reviews talk about it being abandoned and glitchy among other things.

Personally I'd say 3K plays infinitely better. Cavalry, for example, is comically better than in Warhammer by virtue of a much better charge and pursue AI that actually hits enemies on the move. Unfortunately, the problem with 3K is that it feels like there are 5 unit types in total. It's kind of a hard sell against the insanely varied roster of the Warhammer games.

Having said that, last time I played I installed some mod collection (it was [TROM+TUP] Campaign Overhaul plus a whole lot of other poo poo) that did a much better job of differentiating units by giving them more varied armor, morale and custom skills as they improved.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

It's just "done," like games of yore.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Spear infantry having charge reflect in Three Kingdoms also leads to much funnier results than in Total Warhammer. If you charge high-tier cavalry into bracing spears in TW3, the spears disintegrate.

If you do the same in Three Kingdoms, the cavalry eats poo poo completely.

Historical TW has a hard time compared to the crazy unit variety in Total Warhammer, sadly. There are just more toys in Total Warhammer 3.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Also I just realized AI fixed one of the meh things about the game. Generic generals used to have a a very limited amount of portraits and many, MANY mods tried to fix that over the years. The results weren't always good.

Now, some guy just went "computer make a gorillion portraits" aaaand we are done.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Hitman is on sale for 11 bucks. Which of the 90 versions on this game should I buy to get everything

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

strategery posted:

Hitman is on sale for 11 bucks. Which of the 90 versions on this game should I buy to get everything

Uhh...that looks like a scam...?

The version that's only sale for 12€ right now only includes Hitman 1 levels, and there are no options to upgrade from that version to full World of Assassination version, that costs 70€.

Hopefully I'm missing something and it's not actually as scummy as it looks.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 8, 2024

raccoon.bmp
Feb 16, 2023

🦝

Jack Trades posted:

Uhh...that looks like a scam...?

The version that's only sale for 12€ right now only includes Hitman 1 levels, and there are no options to upgrade from that version to full World of Assassination version, that costs 70€.

Hopefully I'm missing something and it's not actually as scummy as it looks.

There's a way to upgrade after the fact, but its hidden until you buy it on Steam as far as I can tell: https://store.steampowered.com/sub/981937/

$27 all-in-all. I'm not sure if buying the full version of Hitman 3/WOA is 1:1 with buying Part One and the upgrade pack though, but hopefully it is? What a mess

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
If you want EVERYTHING, then you need to buy the Deluxe Edition. If you don't care about 2 additional locations (haven't played them myself so can't attest to their quality) and a bunch of crap, then you're good with the Standard Edition.

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

If you don't care about 2 additional locations (haven't played them myself so can't attest to their quality)

They're good.

But yeah IOI is incapable of selling their games like a normal dev.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

raccoon.bmp posted:

There's a way to upgrade after the fact, but its hidden until you buy it on Steam as far as I can tell: https://store.steampowered.com/sub/981937/

$27 all-in-all. I'm not sure if buying the full version of Hitman 3/WOA is 1:1 with buying Part One and the upgrade pack though, but hopefully it is? What a mess

Why the gently caress is it hidden?
Also why the gently caress is Part One + Upgrade twice as cheap as full WoA version, despite having the same content?

I swear that company will just not stop sabotaging it's own product.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

New York and haven island do rule though and are in the top 50% of the maps.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

New York and haven island do rule though and are in the top 50% of the maps.

They are pretty good but they also have less than half the content of a normal map.

Rest of Deluxe content is just trash too.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Does anyone have some EYE: Divine Cybermancy tips for the final (I think?) level in the temple? It starts with me having to kill my mentor, and then I have to go around and kill four elite dudes. I can just about handle one of them, barely, but definitely not two, especially when they are using their clone ability. It seems like one way to go might be trying to kill them before they are able to activate it, but my sniper doesn't seem to deal enough damage. I don't have a crazy psi score yet so I can't use the telefrag psi power. Around level ~22 overall. I've been enjoying this game a lot more than I expected to so far and nothing has been too rough, but this is feeling like a bit of a brick wall. Their HP is just so high and my attempts right now feel so doomed that I think I must be missing something about how to approach this. Maybe I should be using more deployables? I'm also struggling to get a chance to reset between fights, since I keep running into the wandering patrols, who gently caress me up.

raccoon.bmp
Feb 16, 2023

🦝

Jack Trades posted:

Why the gently caress is it hidden?
Also why the gently caress is Part One + Upgrade twice as cheap as full WoA version, despite having the same content?

I swear that company will just not stop sabotaging it's own product.

They're the same price as each other when they're on sale, but they host sales of Part 1 and WoA at different times for some reason! It's a very bizarre system they have going there.

It's a really good thing that playing the new Hitman games is really good, everything surrounding the games is a bit of a mess. Still not entirely confident I bought Hitman 3 the best I could've, and the game locking down when you go offline sucks!

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Digital Flower posted:

They're good.

But yeah IOI is incapable of selling their games like a normal dev.

If i own hitman 1 and hitman 2, I assume I don't need everything?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

strategery posted:

Ha ha ha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raccoon.bmp
Feb 16, 2023

🦝

strategery posted:

You need everything, actually. They stopped carrying over what you bought awhile back, any levels or DLC you owned is stuck with those games. If you owned the expansion stuff for Hitman 2 you also need to buy it again, it isn't included when you buy the base Hitman 3 (but it does include Hitman 1's extra content). All you can do nowadays is transfer Hitman 2 progress to 3.

Fun!

raccoon.bmp fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 8, 2024