Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Ow, my eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
My eyes will not be damaged by the sun today.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Out near Philly, I got an impressive amount of clouds

:(

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Out in Connecticut, cloud cover remains light. 94% totality in just 4 minutes!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't really care about photos of the eclipse, I wanna photo of the bear near Fiz freaking out.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Air Skwirl posted:

I don't really care about photos of the eclipse, I wanna photo of the bear near Fiz freaking out.
I'm in the same state but I'm like a 3 hour drive away.

:dadjoke:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JXlYnzeNaY

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
100% totality for over three minutes in VT. It was pretty incredible. We could see massive sun flares.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Zoran posted:

I flew in to Dallas an hour before the eclipse and it was mostly cloudy, but the clouds parted just in time to see almost the entire totality in its full glory. Amazing.

at where i'm at in austin we got heavy clouds p much only for totality. friends and family in other parts of town had good views tho. still super cool to see it get so dark, so fast.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

I knew I couldn't get a good photo so I didn't want to use up too much time trying. The few I did take didn't even look like an eclipse. This was totality:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbBbFH9fAg

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Only ~70% here, but got a good view with the kiddo. She was too young to see the 100% we had in 2017, which was wild as hell.

Also, found out I need glasses for slight near sightedness. loving :corsair: I’ve had 20/15 basically my whole life but noticed equations blurring on the board and slight blur to distant signs. Guess I don’t need to wear them all the time but…just another loving thing.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
the clouds never cleared up for me, couldn't even see a hint of the sun. but it was cool seeing it get dim and now an hour later I can appreciate how much brighter it is

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
AHHHHHHHHHHH

(Phone pic, hopefully the actual camera turned out as well)

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Android Apocalypse posted:

Thanks to r/askportland I learned the Market of Choice out in SE Belmont put all their Cadbury eggs on clearance. That haul only cost me $87.72 & should last me until next Easter.

If it's any consolation this week's meal prep is stir fried tofu, napa cabbage, fiddleheads, shiitake mushrooms, garlic, ginger, leftover sriracha, and quinoa.

Crazy dude.

the Christmas candy I get 70% off usually only lasts me until July.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

100% totality for over three minutes in VT. It was pretty incredible. We could see massive sun flares.

We were in Waitsfield for it and only got, I wanna say a minute and a half. It's was pretty amazing. It's also kinda nuts how bright it gets when even just a little sliver of sun comes back out.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

AHHHHHHHHHHH

Nice. Looks amazing compared to how my phone pics turned out.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 8, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

AHHHHHHHHHHH

drat that is badass

This reminds me of being a kid, I would always get hype when the video came on MTV :corsair:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I'm in the market for a 15" cast iron. Any recs?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006JSUA

I have no idea why anyone would pay any amount of money for an old rear end "legacy" pan, anything you buy today is just as good if not better if you season them right. The properties of iron-carbon alloys have been understood for millenia. Anyone who disagrees is a bad cook, sorry.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: NVM

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Ether Frenzy posted:

I have no idea why anyone would pay any amount of money for an old rear end "legacy" pan, anything you buy today is just as good if not better if you season them right. The properties of iron-carbon alloys have been understood for millenia. Anyone who disagrees is a bad cook, sorry.

Seems like Lodge is The One based on everyone's input. Thanks y'all.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Get a matching size cast iron lid too

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Classi...ps%2C155&sr=8-4

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 8, 2024

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
I got a weber flat top insert this for christmas. It owns and lets me have the flexibility of the grill and a flat top for smash burgers.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

There's a nearly 50 page cast iron megathread in GWS. People get REAL SERIOUS about their $20 chunk of iron

For the record I love my 12 inch Lodge pan! Kinda want a smaller one to pair with it though for smaller dishes

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 8, 2024

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Having both modern Lodge and hand-me-down cast iron pans from each grandma that I restored, the old ones are considerably better. They don't have the roughness that the Lodge pans' seasonings have (not sure what to call it) so it's SUPER slick once you get it seasoned properly.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Don’t think this cast iron is seasoned enough

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 8, 2024

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

a sexual elk posted:

Don’t think this cast iron is seasoned enough

Something is wrong with that TV.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Docjowles posted:

There's a nearly 50 page cast iron megathread in GWS. People get REAL SERIOUS about their $20 chunk of iron

For the record I love my 12 inch Lodge pan! Kinda want a smaller one to pair with it though for smaller dishes

Yeah but I like TFF better! Wouldn't you rather ask Leper instead of Jeeves about how the dollar value affects corn subsidies and the resulting impact on world hunger??

I love you all :glomp:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I like posting on cast iron pages on Facebook that I clean mine in the dishwasher.

Post it. Turn notifications off.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

BlindSite posted:

I like posting on cast iron pages on Facebook that I clean mine in the dishwasher.

Some men just want to watch the world burn

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I like the implication itt that cast iron pans is the one thing that capitalism wouldn’t make worse from a century ago, for some reason

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

seiferguy posted:

Finally finished my new PC build, did a water cooling unit for the CPU and man I wish I had done this sooner. This thing is quiet as hell.

AIO or custom loop?

I've always wanted to do a custom but doing it correctly is pretty expensive and I'm convinced that somehow I'll gently caress it up and fry all of my components.

But yeah either way, the quiet operation is really great.

BlindSite posted:

Some real sicko type poo poo here

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Freaquency posted:

I like the implication itt that cast iron pans is the one thing that capitalism wouldn’t make worse from a century ago, for some reason
One of my uncles worked at the International Harvester plant in north Memphis when it shut down in the 80s. He got a Last Pour cast iron thing that I remember and actually found online. Evidently this is such a big deal that many foundries will make something like that.

I got it from this page: https://thefinalshakeout.com/last-iron/

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Dango Bango posted:

Some men just want to watch the world burn

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I can post about the metallurgy of cast iron if anyone gives a poo poo

I went out and looked at our local partial eclipse (about 35% here in california) using my welding hood but I saw the total eclipse up in Oregon a few years back so I figured once was good enough for me

I'm very glad lots of folks got to see it this time though! It's an amazing thing to witness, the line of shadow racing across the landscape at 18k miles per hour is astonishing as it comes straight for you

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Black Sunshine posted:

AIO or custom loop?

I've always wanted to do a custom but doing it correctly is pretty expensive and I'm convinced that somehow I'll gently caress it up and fry all of my components.

But yeah either way, the quiet operation is really great.

AIO, I remember when my brother and I built our first computers, he went custom loop, and it was a messy pain in the rear end. Granted, this was 2004 when a Radeon 9600 was the good middle ground card, so it's not like we were outputting a lot of heat.

I got an arctic liquid freezer II and it mounts nicely to the top of my case too.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Any of you goons have Lasik? Any questions I should be sure to ask or things I should be aware of that you ran into?

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Assholes with their dogs off leash. Took the kids and Isla out around the neighborhood. Dog’s owner is on his bike and his dog comes running up to us. Think Isla reacted just cause the kids were behind us, put myself between them before they could really get a grip on each other. Had to knee the other dog to break em up. Luckily the other owner was able to call his dog back and block it with his bike. Like sure your dog is fine but don’t assume my dog is going to be friendly. Glad Islas a bigger dog at 90lb and can defend herself pretty well if needed

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Careful, someone not being responsible with their dog is how Joey got suckerpunched

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

a sexual elk posted:

Assholes with their dogs off leash. Took the kids and Isla out around the neighborhood. Dog’s owner is on his bike and his dog comes running up to us. Think Isla reacted just cause the kids were behind us, put myself between them before they could really get a grip on each other. Had to knee the other dog to break em up. Luckily the other owner was able to call his dog back and block it with his bike. Like sure your dog is fine but don’t assume my dog is going to be friendly. Glad Islas a bigger dog at 90lb and can defend herself pretty well if needed

Yeah, I run into a fair few folks like that hiking and backpacking, more often than not they see me and their dog responds to their call but more than a few have come right up to my guy, and sorry but my dog is super not friendly to other dogs. Usually I can scoop him up, and if not he usually just freezes up while they sniff, but there have been a couple scraps and, well, at that point oh well, I keep him on a leash for precisely that reason but I can only do so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Dango Bango posted:

Any of you goons have Lasik? Any questions I should be sure to ask or things I should be aware of that you ran into?

It was shockingly easy and quick.

Do it.

Best money I’ve ever spent.