Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
TikTok algorithm knows I got laid off I guess because I'm getting vids about how companies are using layoffs to "reset" wages to pre-2020 levels and how a 1099 career with no benefits is a good thing actually.

e: SNIPE FOR NUBMER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

blatman posted:

the only conventional oil is whale oil

Frack the whales

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Chad Sexington posted:

TikTok algorithm knows I got laid off I guess because I'm getting vids about how companies are using layoffs to "reset" wages to pre-2020 levels and how a 1099 career with no benefits is a good thing actually.

were you the one from the doomsday education thread that worked for a private school and that it was obviously coming?

funemployment :toot:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Finally. The premium consumer

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Oldest Man posted:

I think anyone who believes unions in the capitalist empire can be a tool for more than short term wins for members needs to answer to the failure of the Seattle general strike and other instances of radical trade unionism catching the car that didn't translate into any more revolutionary change because oops that's not what the working class in the imperial core actually wants

as you know, conditions in the imperial core have not changed in over 100 years

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Hubbert posted:

drat, Dr. Hubbert looks like a dumbass if we just simply change the definition of conventional oil to include tight oil for american purposes (which was never included in the first place)

next up: tar sands and kerogen have always been conventional sources, checkmate doomers

Can't forget the part where we subsidize the extraction from tight oil with ZIRP and a whole lotta tax law. :v:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Chad Sexington posted:

so they're going to be "reset"ing the prices too, right?

right?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Solar power futures to dip today.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

webcams for christ posted:

loved the analogy of Human-Produced Text with Fossil Fuels in this substack:

it goes on and ends in a different, less intersting direction ("and that is why we should ban tiktok" lmao), but I like the turn of phrase

and what's really amusing is that none of these firms seem interested in investing into the real bottleneck for advance in "AI", which is Machine Perception. Training data and models still requires a vast, vast amount of labor hours' worth of labeling and validation by humans. if we could get machines to percieve the world directly without less an less human input that could solve the current problem! but no, let's just keep brute-forcing larger and larger models on top of each other I'm sure it will go great

the miracles of information tech depend on energy, in the form of fossil fuels

and you can also make the case that just as the fossil economy is constrained by the first law of thermodynamics, the information economy is constrained by the second law

interpreted in this case to mean that any gain in information requires a corresponding usage of free energy

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/WSJ/status/1777383669998432403

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

all they did is raise the price of fent, good job

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

as you know, conditions in the imperial core have not changed in over 100 years

yeah now the workers demand fascism

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

yeah now the workers demand fascism

I ask for it by name at the supermarket

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

China's fall has begun

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nonsense posted:

China's fall has begun

Naw they are in the northern hemisphere like us.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

bedpan posted:

I ask for it by name at the supermarket

Don't accept substitutions

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Every time the empire's puppets visit China they're deliberately never photographed anywhere where you can see Chinese society growing or using technology:

quote:

Yup:

Can't let your pig serfs know there's a better alternative!

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Casey Finnigan posted:

Isn't Roblox the game where a kid can fall off some lovely obstacle course and then get hit with a prompt to spend 5 dollars to respawn?

I hope my nephew and niece don't get into that poo poo

sometimes i wonder how much money you could make selling a rebranded version of those enterprise dns security services that let you easily block entire domains or site categories to anxious parents. bundle it with an expensive and low effort onboarding service, charge $50/month for "whole household protection!!!". like i know poo poo like norton exists, but i mean like a router-level dns block + agents on mobile devices + handholding to get the whole thing going + helpline/bitchline that parents can call when something slips thru the cracks and they need to complain about their lovely kids and yell at a helpless call center CSR about the value of hard work

as an american, i realize the most important component is locking customers into an expensive and hard-to-cancel monthly sub, not delivering anything. oh and making sure theres a call center CSR to yell at.

surely this product exists already

e: gently caress i forgot the most important part: you could offer an add on for christian/mormon families that blocks unholy sites/domains. charge more for this on top of the regular monthly fee, christians love paying to get holy

Consolidated Ed has issued a correction as of 19:24 on Apr 8, 2024

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

SKULL.GIF posted:

Every time the empire's puppets visit China they're deliberately never photographed anywhere where you can see Chinese society growing or using technology:

Yup:

the secret's out now. we all know about the high-quality industrial-grade glycine made by Donghua Jinlong. can't keep that under wraps

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Consolidated Ed posted:

pihole. it's free and I plan on doing exactly that when we have kiddos

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

webcams for christ posted:

pihole. it's free and I plan on doing exactly that when we have kiddos

sounds like chinese communism to me. real americans use a paid product, backed by a christian call center that understands and respects your faith-based values

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

aw frig aw dang it posted:

the secret's out now. we all know about the high-quality industrial-grade glycine made by Donghua Jinlong. can't keep that under wraps

how pure is their nitric acid?

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

mawarannahr posted:

trad genz electrician punts millennial frontend engineer who still identifies as a feminist metrosexual back into into the 20th century with Eastern Catholic (Byzantine rite) liturgical magic [based]

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

aw frig aw dang it posted:

sure but did you know about the pharmaceutical grade glycine made by Donghua Jinlong? That poo poo is fire

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Xaris posted:

grinding up all the trees and selling it to germany as "biofuel" so they can self-congratulatory jack themselves off over how green and progressive they are

as for the space.. well....... it's all owned by a couple corporate rockefeller holdings. tbf the only jobs are in like vancour+toronto+montreal* (barely) and those are already sprawled to the brim

canada is a really good case study for capitalism and how immigration is used by the plutocrats to filthily enrich themselves at the expense of the proletariat. borders are fake and shouldn't exist, but if have a hyper-capitalist society where accumulation of private property is at the pinnacle and everythings hyper-privatized, then the plutocrats can use it to become even more bloated parasites on housing/utilities and suppress domestic labor wages at the same time. if you are a prole without understanding of material conditions and the political economy, you simply just see everything getting worse around you and start chanting build da wall! and voting increasingly far right-wing for whoever makes lip-service about stopping it because lol liberals are never ever going to admit the root problem of it all is capitalism's fault

thats a lot of words to say gently caress LIBERALS

its a simple message but i like it

gently caress LIBERALS

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

my rent is increasing by 10% next month(~$240). it increased by 10% last year too.
it’s still cheaper than anything equivalent in my city.
maybe I should stop spending money on groceries though….

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Consolidated Ed posted:

sometimes i wonder how much money you could make selling a rebranded version of those enterprise dns security services that let you easily block entire domains or site categories to anxious parents. bundle it with an expensive and low effort onboarding service, charge $50/month for "whole household protection!!!". like i know poo poo like norton exists, but i mean like a router-level dns block + agents on mobile devices + handholding to get the whole thing going + helpline/bitchline that parents can call when something slips thru the cracks and they need to complain about their lovely kids and yell at a helpless call center CSR about the value of hard work

as an american, i realize the most important component is locking customers into an expensive and hard-to-cancel monthly sub, not delivering anything. oh and making sure theres a call center CSR to yell at.

e: gently caress i forgot the most important part: you could offer an add on for christian/mormon families that blocks unholy sites/domains. charge more for this on top of the regular monthly fee, christians love paying to get holy

Every service that is capable of doing this is just serving commercial markets

The licensing regimes for these services charge more money than an individual could ever pay because corporations will pay it

You could make money serving consumer markets but consumers who control their computing platforms at any level are a vanishingly small market, many consumers use primarily mobile devices and ISP provided network equipment they rarely have control over. There used to be services like this for end users and they have mostly dried up. It just doesn't make sense anymore as a business model.

Engorged Pedipalps has issued a correction as of 20:00 on Apr 8, 2024

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

sure but did you know about the pharmaceutical grade glycine made by Donghua Jinlong? That poo poo is fire

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

lol

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

NOOOOOOOOOO

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Watching a short news clip and this is in my recommended.

The whole rise of monetized body camera footage is crazy. These channels request random footage from police departments and make videos of killings/shootings/abuse etc. Very sick society.

err has issued a correction as of 20:23 on Apr 8, 2024

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

once again i am going to be cucked by inferior industrial grade glycine

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

lol usa used to poo poo on china for not taking patents seriously; now they do and they have "too many patents" and that's bad

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
it's not unlike america's approach to the concept of "international law" though, utterly unsurprising

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol usa used to poo poo on china for not taking patents seriously; now they do and they have "too many patents" and that's bad

CHYNA

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yup:

this is completely unhinged, even for you lol

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
China is actually wakanda IRL. Checkmate libs

piss guzzler 420
Dec 25, 2022

westoids spooked

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

China looks exactly as Armageddon (1998) made it look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griz
May 21, 2001

Precambrian Video Games posted:

There have been a bunch of articles recently about dynamic pricing (in fast food but also grocery and department stores ??) and also geographical pricing (which is even less new, of course chain grocers will jack up prices in rich areas if they can and then likely not even bother to have any stores in poorer neighbourhoods) and one headline was like consumers hate price discromination but they love deals! As if that's a baffling contradiction and not just incredibly obvious.

I went to the lovely local supermarket last week and now they want $3.50 for a single seedless cucumber and $4 for a bottle of apple juice

going to the walmart 10 miles away for just those two items would be cheaper even after including gas. loving ridiculous