Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The problem with the EAT is that it's legit too good and I expect they'll turn it down at some point. Probably slightly decrease the cooldown but only one gets called in.

This would absolutely dumpster the EAT (so I assume it is exactly what AH will do)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Quasar is better for bugs than bots imo. Not only good at killing bugs and closing holes, but good for their structures as well. For bots, the autocannon can take care of pretty much everything easily, whereas charging a quasar just to kill a strider is a real feel bad. And for their structures, you usually want a strategem anyway (or autocannon for factories).

My bug loadout lately has been incendiary braker, impact grenades, air strike, 500kg/napalm, laser bot and quasar. either that or the old arc thrower + EAT.

Speaking of arc thrower, it feels really strong now that I've gotten used to it. the stagger is really good and you can hold off a bunch of enemies now while killing them.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

The arc thrower, which was already very good against bugs, is even better now. Once of the weaknesses it has was against queens, where you'd pop their head and they would charge and potentially kill you. With the added stagger, that no longer happens.

Arc thrower is very good on the Rambo kit against bugs.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i loving love this game but i hate the spear. its like one out of ten missions itll lock onto anything and youre unstoppable, but every other mission the computer is just too lazy to do jack poo poo. fucker!¡!!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Where do you aim on the charger with the arc thrower? The top of the head like with an EAT?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

causticBeet posted:

This would absolutely dumpster the EAT (so I assume it is exactly what AH will do)

Nobody uses EATs because everyone likes to bring a large inventory of things with them wherever they go so I think it's fine. The main draw-back from EATs is actually its virtue: it's disposable and it only gets a single shot.

Now if they can let me loving aim my poo poo while I'm in the air with a jump pack...

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mesadoram posted:

Where do you aim on the charger with the arc thrower? The top of the head like with an EAT?

Aim? With the arc thrower?

Just let it rip while you are head to head with a charger and the lightning will figure out the rest.

(just shoot them in the face until they fall over)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

flubber nuts posted:

i loving love this game but i hate the spear. its like one out of ten missions itll lock onto anything and youre unstoppable, but every other mission the computer is just too lazy to do jack poo poo. fucker!¡!!

Spear is good for destroying bot bases from afar

Maybe sometimes in a pinch taking down a big boy. But little else

Still taking down fabricators was a huge deal. You can deal with at least 2 or 3 of those without going near it

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

flubber nuts posted:

What do you mean? It works great.

https://media.discordapp.net/attach...893a26f6b100c1&

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

The only time I've used the spear is when I found one at a PoI and there was a cannon turret in plain sight across an open field

10/10, would shoot once and then discard again

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

God this game is so loving good. It should really inspire a new genre, like MOBAs and looter shooters.

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

I loving love Hellmire unironically.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Droxis posted:

:mods:

Legit Businessman posted:

Aim? With the arc thrower?

Just let it rip while you are head to head with a charger and the lightning will figure out the rest.

(just shoot them in the face until they fall over)

That's good to hear, I will give it a try tonight :unsmith:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The problem with the EAT is that it's legit too good and I expect they'll turn it down at some point. Probably slightly decrease the cooldown but only one gets called in.

Yeah they do. Really only Tanks, Hulks, Chargers and Bile Titans can stand up to them for any length of time.

People better get used to the pro-gamer move of sticking the EAT drop pod onto chargers

hey mom its 420 posted:

Quasar is better for bugs than bots imo. Not only good at killing bugs and closing holes, but good for their structures as well. For bots, the autocannon can take care of pretty much everything easily, whereas charging a quasar just to kill a strider is a real feel bad. And for their structures, you usually want a strategem anyway (or autocannon for factories).

My bug loadout lately has been incendiary braker, impact grenades, air strike, 500kg/napalm, laser bot and quasar. either that or the old arc thrower + EAT.

Speaking of arc thrower, it feels really strong now that I've gotten used to it. the stagger is really good and you can hold off a bunch of enemies now while killing them.

Quasar only works if the situation is under control. When the situation is not in control you want EATs because someone will attack you while you're chargin the laser, and it flinches if it goes through the shield.

jokes posted:

Nobody uses EATs because everyone likes to bring a large inventory of things with them wherever they go so I think it's fine. The main draw-back from EATs is actually its virtue: it's disposable and it only gets a single shot.

Now if they can let me loving aim my poo poo while I'm in the air with a jump pack...

EATs are very much still used on bugs. It provides front loaded damage that any member of your team can access at anytime, even when their Quasar is cooling down between shots. It's super flexible and you leave a trail of them all over the map.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Parkingtigers posted:

Impacts rule, and I still adore the Stalwart because gun go brrr. It's a buzzsaw that carves through stuff. Could it carve a little faster? Maybe, but I have the time and just holding down the trigger until the bug is a pile of constituent parts is so satisfying.

same except the regular mg on highest rof

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

jokes posted:

The EAT is a low-cooldown stratagem dedicated to taking out large enemies. In the cooldown time for one orbital rail strike you can get 4 EATs instead.

Which is about an equivalent trade if you're not nailing heavies in their weak points reliably.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Droxis posted:

I just had a fun session with some goons on hellmire. Finally got the Hell Dive cheevo. Turns out not dying on hellmire is easier than anywhere else when you play with some hyper competent goons

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mesadoram posted:

:mods:

That's good to hear, I will give it a try tonight :unsmith:

Just be warned - it takes around 7 shots to solo a charger. You'll need to practice sidestepping their charge (don't dive, unless you have to, it kills your mobility so much) always end the DPS cycle a shot earlier than you think so you can get out of the way.

Light armor helps too. And try to dodge by running at a 45 degree angle towards the charger, instead of directly left or right. Running towards them forces them to stop and turn in place which plants them, instead of potentially getting them to turn lazily in a circle if you move off to the side.

Once you get the hang of it it's makes chargers a piece of cake (that takes a while).

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Risky Bisquick posted:

Quasar only works if the situation is under control. When the situation is not in control you want EATs because someone will attack you while you're chargin the laser, and it flinches if it goes through the shield.

This makes no sense to me and I love EATs.

When poo poo isn't under control you're still stuck waiting for EATs to drop or your path to your last drop has been cut off by a patrol, or a bile Titan is spitting on your pod, or whack geometry has your EAT call down bounce to the wrong side of a cliff or you stuck a charger with the call down and he's taking the pod off to la la land or ...

There are a host of potential issues with EATs being a deployable that don't exist with the Quasar. EATs are better sometimes and Quasars are better in others, but there are plenty of ways for a situation to get out of control with EATs.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Friend of mine sent me an image he got from discord of a purple "rigel" sector with the illuminate icon being occupied by about 100 or so helldivers. Have no idea if that's fake or not but I'm leaning towards yes. Not seeing anything on helldivers.io so if it is real it probably went dark very quickly.

Edit: yeah the rigel sector has all the planets at 100% liberated so probably bullshit

explosivo fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 8, 2024

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Recoiless rifle will have its day!

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

The EAT is the best weapon because when everything goes completely to poo poo and the entire squad has wiped, I can call down 2 of em before anyone can get back to their gear.

It’s a critical first step to turning the tide on fail cascades.

Plus the trail of EATs I leave around the map means everywhere can be a fall back position.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

WarpedLichen posted:

When poo poo isn't under control you're still stuck waiting for EATs to drop or your path to your last drop has been cut off by a patrol, or a bile Titan is spitting on your pod, or whack geometry has your EAT call down bounce to the wrong side of a cliff or you stuck a charger with the call down and he's taking the pod off to la la land or ...

There are a host of potential issues with EATs being a deployable that don't exist with the Quasar. EATs are better sometimes and Quasars are better in others, but there are plenty of ways for a situation to get out of control with EATs.

The trick is to always be calling down EAT pods.

Just another bug hole complex, NBD. EAT.

Situation looking a little sketch? EAT.

Bored? EAT.

In short always be EATing that way there's one around when you or your buddies need one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

explosivo posted:

Friend of mine sent me an image he got from discord of a purple "rigel" sector with the illuminate icon being occupied by about 100 or so helldivers. Have no idea if that's fake or not but I'm leaning towards yes. Not seeing anything on helldivers.io so if it is real it probably went dark very quickly.

Edit: yeah the rigel sector has all the planets at 100% liberated so probably bullshit

People have made that same fake dumb image like five separate times already.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sagebrush posted:

People have made that same fake dumb image like five separate times already.

Oh lmao yeah i figured it was something like that

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Wait, you guys go back for your gear instead of just leaving it and moving while waiting for the next cool down?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Benagain posted:

Wait, you guys go back for your gear instead of just leaving it and moving while waiting for the next cool down?

Like touching a hot stove repeatedly my group of friends constantly do this and pay dearly for it. Like they figure the 3 minutes without an autocannon is the worst possible thing that could happen even though they usually spend so long trying to get their poo poo that the cooldown's gone AND they've died a bunch attempting to do so. I think in the missions where the cooldowns are longer you kinda have to at least think about it but normally I'll try to make due.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Automatons destroyed? Check.
Terminids contained? Check.

We are going back home soon. War will be over by May, count my words.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Benagain posted:

Super Earth yearns for more samples. Will you come to her aid, helldiver?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When you've got orbital fluctuations and the cooldown is like 12 loving minutes or whatever yes, I am definitely going back for my autocannon unless it's in a total disaster zone.

Usually one eagle cluster bomb on the area is enough to run up and grab it.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

WarpedLichen posted:

yeah people are way overstating how hard it is to charge the quasar, even on bug helldives you have plenty of time to get shots off. even if there's a swarm of little nerds, your primary/a nade/airstrike behind you as you run will clear enough to get a quasar shot off.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

How much damage do hellpods do to heavy armor? They seem to take a chunk out of chargers and titans

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
every attempt to land on something big ends up going worse for me, rather than for them

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

explosivo posted:

Like touching a hot stove repeatedly my group of friends constantly do this and pay dearly for it. Like they figure the 3 minutes without an autocannon is the worst possible thing that could happen even though they usually spend so long trying to get their poo poo that the cooldown's gone AND they've died a bunch attempting to do so. I think in the missions where the cooldowns are longer you kinda have to at least think about it but normally I'll try to make due.

yeah, I'll go find my AMR when I'm going bots, it's just so good against them. Typically places where a fight has been are clear for a while, if it's a hot zone it's not worth it though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FrancisFukyomama posted:

How much damage do hellpods do to heavy armor? They seem to take a chunk out of chargers and titans

last night I was being queued for a bunch of level 9 kill terminid missions, the ones where you're in a tiny extraction zone and there are 10000000 horrible chittering insects and multiple bile titans, and it was actually fun as hell. Everyone's dying all over the place anyway so you just sow the ground with every orbital strike you have then when you respawn you can drop onto a titan, then just run circles dropping strategms as they come online.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

jokes posted:

God this game is so loving good. It should really inspire a new genre, like MOBAs and looter shooters.

If you haven’t checked it out, Deep Rock Galactic is the closest thing to Helldivers 2, albeit with more chill downtime between its moments of terror.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Haven't played vs Terminids forever, completely forgot how loving annoying bile spewer spam can get.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ulio posted:

Haven't played vs Terminids forever, completely forgot how loving annoying bile spewer spam can get.

Absolutely.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I hate how quiet they are too. Just suddenly, vomitted on then immediate death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The possiblity of Bile Spewers is the reason I always take AC or GL if nobody else on the team has either.

Quasar isn't terrible for them but, like brood commanders, doesn't quite one shot one.