Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

WarpedLichen posted:

This makes no sense to me and I love EATs.

When poo poo isn't under control you're still stuck waiting for EATs to drop or your path to your last drop has been cut off by a patrol, or a bile Titan is spitting on your pod, or whack geometry has your EAT call down bounce to the wrong side of a cliff or you stuck a charger with the call down and he's taking the pod off to la la land or ...

There are a host of potential issues with EATs being a deployable that don't exist with the Quasar. EATs are better sometimes and Quasars are better in others, but there are plenty of ways for a situation to get out of control with EATs.

Being a call in makes the EATs more valuable not less, hth. Two players with EATs is honestly ideal for helldive ime, the call down spam in between fights gives you a huge arsenal of front loaded AT damage. Other two with quasar or AC/bug zapper/GL for some smooth no loss runs on geo surveys and whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

FrancisFukyomama posted:

How much damage do hellpods do to heavy armor? They seem to take a chunk out of chargers and titans

a good hellpod landing will kill a charger outright and take most of a bile titan's health, but significantly less effective against actual tanks

but the bots are dead forever and we'll never need to worry about tanks

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
I prefer the RR still and folks with friends realize a buddy reload can shoot down 6 drop ships as fast as they appear.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I hate this loving planet so much

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Legit Businessman posted:

Just be warned - it takes around 7 shots to solo a charger. You'll need to practice sidestepping their charge (don't dive, unless you have to, it kills your mobility so much) always end the DPS cycle a shot earlier than you think so you can get out of the way.

Light armor helps too. And try to dodge by running at a 45 degree angle towards the charger, instead of directly left or right. Running towards them forces them to stop and turn in place which plants them, instead of potentially getting them to turn lazily in a circle if you move off to the side.

Once you get the hang of it it's makes chargers a piece of cake (that takes a while).

If you're shooting a charger with the arc thrower, it fucks up its ability to turn so much that you can casually walk out of the way of its charge. It's pretty nice.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

I cannot for the life of me understand how this game has gotten so looking forward to whatever comes "next" this Thursday.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A lone helldiver is running full sprint away from a horde of bugs, no stims left, his ammo dry, and mission command barking that further reinforcements are not approved. His prayers to sweet liberty unanswered, the sweat running down his acne-riddled face. He throws pokeball after pokeball, summoning air strikes and orbital barrages but the horde scrambles ever forward. He pauses, embracing his fate. For a moment, he looks upward and sees a beautiful, serene, light-- growing, coming for him. He feels at peace as the blue light engulfs him, before instantly incinerating him. Elsewhere in the galaxy, people on the internet are shouting that the blue lasers don't exist and are in fact *checks notes* reflected lasers bouncing off of armor

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
About to tick over into having enough credits to get a new warbond. Any recommendations on which one to grab?

Also, any opinions on which grenades are worth using? Kinda hard to eyeball it since explosions are explosions.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Triarii posted:

If you're shooting a charger with the arc thrower, it fucks up its ability to turn so much that you can casually walk out of the way of its charge. It's pretty nice.

To illustrate - it's not a fast kill but the poor guy is neutered for the entire time.

https://i.imgur.com/KQVi5ZM.mp4

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Teratrain posted:

About to tick over into having enough credits to get a new warbond. Any recommendations on which one to grab?

Also, any opinions on which grenades are worth using? Kinda hard to eyeball it since explosions are explosions.

Impacts or stun, imo. The rest don't seek worth it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Teratrain posted:

Wait until Thursday so you can take a peek at the new new and see if you want to invest in that

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Teratrain posted:

Impact and Stun grenades are a cut above the rest. Though the starting grenades are still pretty good and much easier to throw into a fabricator/bug hole than the impact grenades.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Teratrain posted:

Both currently available ones have fun / best in class weapons ( Dominator, Breaker Incindiary, Sickle), the new one dropping will have some nice utility picks (fab / hole closing primary and secondary).

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Cool, thanks guys. I'll hang on and see if the meta shifts, I've got plenty of stuff to mess with before then.

I'll give impact grenades a try, just unlocked them and they sound pretty handy.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Teratrain posted:

Cool, thanks guys. I'll hang on and see if the meta shifts, I've got plenty of stuff to mess with before then.

I'll give impact grenades a try, just unlocked them and they sound pretty handy.

Impact nades vs bots, super-god rest their non-souls, is loving insane. Can stomp a squad of walkers or devastators, only downside is that you have to wait for the doors on fabricators to open to destroy them, as the hitbox for the vents with impacts is nigh-impossible to hit

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Triarii posted:

To illustrate - it's not a fast kill but the poor guy is neutered for the entire time.

https://i.imgur.com/KQVi5ZM.mp4

Yeah, but see when YOU shoot the Arc Thrower it hits the charger every time, staggers it, and then kills it. When I shoot the Arc Thrower, half the time it farts a single limp-dick spark to the ground and does absolutely loving nothing while bugs tickle me to death. Fully charged shots. gently caress that gun.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
The meme cape for hellmire should be a pile of bug turds with their signature fart cloud as the stink lines, because geezums. It’s too dang hot to run!

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

Apple Craft posted:

Yeah, but see when YOU shoot the Arc Thrower it hits the charger every time, staggers it, and then kills it. When I shoot the Arc Thrower, half the time it farts a single limp-dick spark to the ground and does absolutely loving nothing while bugs tickle me to death. Fully charged shots. gently caress that gun.

Yeah this wasn’t so big an issue before the fire rate nerf, but it kinda sucks now it’s so slow. It’s definitely still viable and more of a crowd control weapon than the horde killer it was, but it just feels kinda bad and slow now. The flamethrower has replaced it as my solo pick against bugs (when I’m not being boring and taking quasar), it’s just so much fun even if it can get kinda dicey at times. Shame it’s broken in multiplayer.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Risky Bisquick posted:

People better get used to the pro-gamer move of sticking the EAT drop pod onto chargers

How do you get this to work consistently? I try it on most chargers if it's not too hectic and it works every once in a while but risk/reward-wise I'd be better off throwing the EAT beacon somewhere where I don't have to run towards the oncoming bug swarm to pick them up if it fails to stick to the charger.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Trick is to wait for the charge to miss you, then throw it as the charger is turning in place for the next charge.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

If the developers opened up this game to mods so they could sidestep any responsibility for maintaining and balancing a PvP portion of the game and all the ensuing arguments from the player base so a small splinter group could actually play the game like an extraction game it would be fun.

Have it so samples aren't shared and there are multiple extraction zones per map. Hey badabing badabile titan

Has anyone tried fake PvP?

I don't want to change the reason why half a million people play this game, for the 4 player coop, but I think it would be an incredibly fun PvP experience. Then all of the splinter cell movement could pay off hahaha

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Lprsti99 posted:

Trick is to wait for the charge to miss you, then throw it as the charger is turning in place for the next charge.

i chuck it right as they rear up for the initial charge, usually

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PvP would ruin everything that is fun about this game. Don't mention it again lest you bring it into being

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Apple Craft posted:

id recommend not shooting the ground

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Sagebrush posted:

PvP would ruin everything that is fun about this game. Don't mention it again lest you bring it into being

Yeah pvp would be the quickest way for me to quit

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
pvp isn't a good idea for this game but that poster was talking about a hypothetical pvp mod, not something actually part of the vanilla game

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If this game had PVP everyone would just use the breaker incendiary for it and wouldn't even bother with stratagems. Why waste time doing anything else when you can just clusterbomb large swathes of the map with near-instakill fire damage from great range

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
definitely not true when you could call in orbital lasers from out of line of sight

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Thankfully I don't think we need to worry about PVP showing up at all ever

"if you want PvP I recommend Tarkov"

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

redstormpopcorn posted:

Thankfully I don't think we need to worry about PVP showing up at all ever

"if you want PvP I recommend Tarkov"

:allears:

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Been doing more bug 8s and 9s and I'm finding Bile Titans are unfun and uninteractive obstacles. They effectively act like a permanent -1 stratagem modifier; it's miserable unless like 3 of 4 players bring some form of AV support weapon. Even their exposed flesh deflects anything under medium penetration.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

are any of the superstore armor sets worth it? i know some provide unique armor sets/weight combos, but are any good enough to be worth buying?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Who the gently caress want pvp in the game what the gently caress

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah what I'm getting at is that I understand that the devs will never under any circumstance ever add PvP, in fact I don't want them too!

And, if we're being realistic, they will also never allow mods.

I love the game. But the shooting and the movement are great.

Every PvPvE game is the same. Hunt Showdown, Tarkov, whatever, none of them are like Helldivers 2 whatsoever. None of them are magic like this game is. But the idea of the type of decision making that would go into a round of PvPvE in this game boggles my mind in a good way. Of course, modders would adjust stratagems and whatnot to balance it.

Just spit balling, but the orbital laser's targeting computer could likely "only be programmed to target enemies of Super Earth" and not Helldivers. Bombardment stratagems and the like though don't have the same limitation.

Just saying it would be fun to 2v2 with my friends after killing bugs and bots.

And the whole hypothetical about it being a mod is because the can of worms it would open with the main game and the catastrophic schism it would create. Which I don't want of course. I just want to be rewarded for dropping a 500k on my best friend and taking the samples he fought for and laughing at him in discord while I do it

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

ZeusCannon posted:

People are dumb.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

are any of the superstore armor sets worth it? i know some provide unique armor sets/weight combos, but are any good enough to be worth buying?

I was glad to pick up the “Endor Speeder” (Eradicator) helmet and body for the looks, but also it’s my only light armor set so it’s great for speeding around the maps.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

If you think they are putting out content at a good pace now, watch it fall off a cliff when they have to consider PvPvE balancing; people complaining about weapon damage, how it's not fair one has a backpack, how guns in battle passes aren't balanced like the ones that come with the initial pass...

The vocal minority are so loud it pushes casuals away.

It would never happen but I can "imagine" it being "fun"

ZeusCannon posted:

I am dumb and should have clarified PvPvE. So like, no like, taking all enemies out of the map and putting you in a warehouse. I mean like, same map, same mobs, just two splinter cells competing for the map's resources. Make it like Dark Souls maybe? You could play on maps that had x3 super samples (potentially getting 18 in one mission) but people can invade. I dunno!

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 9, 2024

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

forest spirit posted:

I just want to be rewarded for dropping a 500k on my best friend and taking the samples he fought for and laughing at him in discord while I do it

I just did this to a friend earlier today and my reward was 3 people dying laughing in discord

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Any light armor is at least worth a look. I like the Fortified Commando extra-heavy armor on eradication missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

forest spirit posted:

Yeah what I'm getting at is that I understand that the devs will never under any circumstance ever add PvP, in fact I don't want them too!

And, if we're being realistic, they will also never allow mods.

I love the game. But the shooting and the movement are great.

Every PvPvE game is the same. Hunt Showdown, Tarkov, whatever, none of them are like Helldivers 2 whatsoever. None of them are magic like this game is. But the idea of the type of decision making that would go into a round of PvPvE in this game boggles my mind in a good way. Of course, modders would adjust stratagems and whatnot to balance it.

Just spit balling, but the orbital laser's targeting computer could likely "only be programmed to target enemies of Super Earth" and not Helldivers. Bombardment stratagems and the like though don't have the same limitation.

Just saying it would be fun to 2v2 with my friends after killing bugs and bots.

And the whole hypothetical about it being a mod is because the can of worms it would open with the main game and the catastrophic schism it would create. Which I don't want of course. I just want to be rewarded for dropping a 500k on my best friend and taking the samples he fought for and laughing at him in discord while I do it

this game's engine is abandoned, no modding tools exist for it, nobody has used it outside of two or three swedish dev studios in stockholm and it uses p2p clientside networking during actual gameplay. the devs allowing or not allowing mods isn't really stopping anything here.