Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"[They] regard Tel Aviv...and all of Israel as settlements".

That's right, Dersh. All of Israel is an illegal settlement of Palestinian land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

and I was worried there would be no more good New York style comedy now that Curb is over

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

lmao at the still

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

Benny Gantz:- hey Hamas even if you sign a lovely deal were only using it to improve our image before attacking rafah so sign it please

=========================

Israeli broadcaster says that ‎‎Israeli Defense Council‎‎ minister ‎‎Benny Gantz‎‎ believed an exchange deal would improve Israel's international standing ahead of the Rafah operation.‎

‎Finance Minister ‎‎Bezalel Smotrich‎‎ and Israeli National Defense Minister ‎‎Itamar Ben-Gvir‎‎ are threatening to dissolve the government if a surrender deal is approved, the Israel Broadcasting Corporation said.‎

are these people literally stupid? do thet believe the things coming out of their own mouths? why the gently caress would hamas agree to give up all the captives and then get invaded again but this time without their leverage

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Al! posted:

its not even the propaganda videos, its the fact that idf soldiers are recording video after video proving that they, and israel, have no moral bottom

There's nearly zero precedent for how unprofessional the IOF is on social media.

The atrocities already reflect Israeli culture, but they have escalated to where that pedophile foot fetish nazi feels comfortable bragging about his depravity on insta.

That's not a disciplined army, it's savagery.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

that frame of dersh for the thumbnail is truly wonderful timing

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

World War Mammories posted:

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Al-Saqr posted:

This is purely anecdotal and not in any way representative, but I went to a gathering that had a bunch of people who were previously weak kneed super westernized libs who didnt overtly feel too strongly one way or another, but have all flipped into full 'death to america death to israel' mode, the radicalization israel has done to people in saudi against them is real.

I was sitting there quietly smiling like a grinch the whole time lol.

Pretty much the entirety of ramadan every night the imams were leading prayers for the destruction of israel and the liberation of gaza and the ascension of martyrs.
Something I've been thinking about is how a Saudi-Israeli formal diplomatic agreement would be received in SA. It's the holy grail for Biden and Netanyahu, and I bet MBS still wants to do it, he might just figure there's a couple of hoops to jump through first, and a bit of time to wait for things to "cool down". Obviously there's no public polling in Saudi Arabia but I've heard the crown prince is popular. If diplomatic recognition occurred, do you think that would change pretty quick?

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

World War Mammories posted:

dershowitz is hitler 3

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

genericnick posted:

lmao at the still

lmao that's great

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Something I've been thinking about is how a Saudi-Israeli formal diplomatic agreement would be received in SA. It's the holy grail for Biden and Netanyahu, and I bet MBS still wants to do it, he might just figure there's a couple of hoops to jump through first, and a bit of time to wait for things to "cool down". Obviously there's no public polling in Saudi Arabia but I've heard the crown prince is popular. If diplomatic recognition occurred, do you think that would change pretty quick?

there was a public polling recently about saudis opinions towards a diplomatic agreement and it went from a small percentage to virtually zero.

I dunno how people will react. Gulf Arabs are a very compliant and cowed people so I doubt they'll do anything.

but one maybe signal is that peoples opinions towards the emirati government has taken a sharp turn towards the negative, thats anecdotal so I dont know.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Hatebag posted:

dershowitz is hitler 3

More of a goebbels 2

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

genericnick posted:

lmao at the still

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

iirc polling from Gaza before the war showed support for Hamas being reduced to a plurality instead of a majority because people were disillusioned with Hamas’s ability to end corruption as they promised. now that Hamas is proven to be the primary party of resistance, polls show them easily winning an election in the West Bank.

I wonder if PFLP is going to get any boost since despite how tiny they are they’re actively fighting instead of being comprador riot cops like fatah

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

OctaMurk posted:

are these people literally stupid? do thet believe the things coming out of their own mouths?

Yes. Also, yes.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Al-Saqr posted:

This is purely anecdotal and not in any way representative, but I went to a gathering that had a bunch of people who were previously weak kneed super westernized libs who didnt overtly feel too strongly one way or another, but have all flipped into full 'death to america death to israel' mode, the radicalization israel has done to people in saudi against them is real.

I was sitting there quietly smiling like a grinch the whole time lol.

Pretty much the entirety of ramadan every night the imams were leading prayers for the destruction of israel and the liberation of gaza and the ascension of martyrs.

Very heartening to hear that. Fridays here are supremely muted, people also avoid public conversation. In private though most really don't like the direction this country is headed and they do talk about it at least 9 times out of 10 from my socializing during ramadan.

I thank god everyday we're not significant enough to matter.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

quote:

Once upon a time—isn’t that how stories are supposed to begin?—there was a group of people who believed that their god had promised them a particular corner of the Middle East, and decided to take him up on the offer. It so happened that conditions just then were propitious for their project. The cultural politics of the major Western powers of the time favored it, and not merely in an abstract sense: money and weapons could be had for the attempt, and a great deal more could be made available if the project succeeded in establishing a foothold.

Even more crucial was the state of the Middle East at that time. The history of that region has a regular rhythm of systole and diastole that can be traced back very nearly to the earliest clay-tablet records: periods of centralization, in which a single major Middle Eastern power dominates as large a fraction of the world as the current transport technology will allow, alternate with periods of disintegration, in which the region fragments and turns into a chessboard on which powers from outside the region play their own power games. At the time we’re discussing, the Middle East was in one of its diastole phases, fractured into small quarrelling states, and the sudden seizure of a strategically important part of the region drew only a local and ineffective response.

So a new state came into being, surrounded by hostile neighbors, and a great deal of the shrill self-justifying rhetoric already described came from both sides of the new frontiers. Several of the major Western powers supported the new state with significant financial and military aid; of at least equal importance, members of the religious community responsible for creating the new state, who remained back in those same Western nations, engaged in vigorous fundraising efforts to support the new state, and equally vigorous political efforts to get existing governmental support maintained or increased. The resources thus made available to the new state gave it a substantial military edge against its hostile neighbors, and its existence became enough of a fait accompli that some of its neighbors backed away from a wholly confrontational stance.

Still, the state’s survival depended on three things. The first, and by far the most crucial, was the ongoing flow of support from the Western powers to pay for a military establishment far larger than the economic and natural resources of the territory in question would permit. The second was the continued fragmentation and relative weakness of the surrounding states. The third was the maintenance of internal peace within the state and of collective assent to a clear sense of priorities, so that it could respond with its full force to threats from outside instead of squandering its limited resources on civil strife or popular projects that contributed nothing to its survival.

In the long run, none of these three conditions could be met indefinitely. Shifts in cultural politics and, more importantly, in the economic stability of the Western powers of the time turned the large subsidies supporting the state into a political liability that eventually lost out in the struggle for available wealth. Meanwhile, in the Middle East, the power struggles between competing statelets began to give way to a new era of centralization. Finally, the internal cohesion of the state broke down in power struggles between different factions, and too many resources had been committed to politically necessary but practically useless projects such as the support of large religious communities that did nothing but pray and study the scriptures. The arrogant certainty that the state could always overcome its enemies and that the Western powers owed it the subsidies that paid for its survival put bitter icing on an already overbaked cake, and all but guaranteed the final disaster.

And that, dear reader, was why the Crusader kingdom of Jerusalem fell to the armies of Saladin in 1187, and why the last scraps of the kingdoms of Outremer, as the Crusaders called the land now known as Israel, were mopped up by Muslim armies over the century that followed.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

lmao Dersh

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

platzapS posted:

National Review: Anti-Israel Protesters Chant ‘Death to America,’ ‘Death to Israel’ at Michigan Rally
April 8 2024

Anti-Israel protesters chanted both “death to Israel” and “death to America” at a rally in Michigan on Friday.

The demonstration, which took place in the town of Dearborn — a suburb of Detroit that is home to the largest Muslim population in the U.S. — was held to mark al Quds day, an international day of support for Palestinians and opposition to Israel.

The rally featured rounds of chants led by local activist Tarek Bazzi and local imam Usama Abdulghani.

Bazzi prompted the crowd to break into calls for “death to America” after speaking about former Iranian ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini and the beginning of al-Quds Day, a celebration on the last Friday of Ramadan during which some profess their support for a “free Palestine” and opposition to Israel’s existence.

“We have been asked in the past: ‘Why are our priests on the international al-Quds Day are [sic] so anti-America? Why don’t we just focus more on Israel and not talk so much about America?’ Gaza has shown the entire world why these protests are so anti-America, because it’s the United States government that provides the funds for all of the atrocities,” Bazzi said before the audience responded with the “death to America” chants. “Imam Kohomeini, who declared international al-Quds Day, this is why he would say to pour all of your chants and all of your shots upon the head of America.”

Speaking of Israel, Bazzi said the Jewish state “does not deserve to exist.”

“When these fools [ask] us if Israel has the right to exist,” he said, “the chant ‘death to Israel’ has become the most logical chant across the world today.”

Abdulghani, the imam who followed Bazzi’s remarks, compared Israel with some of the most infamous entities in world history.

“Israel before this, brothers and sisters, was a sacred cow. Nobody could criticize Israel. Everybody was terrified of being antiseptic. Everybody was afraid of them, but now the people of conscience very openly will criticize Israel.” Abdulghani said. “They recognize Israel for what it is. Israel is ISIS, they are Nazis, they are fascists, they are racists. The people of the world now know this.”

Dearborn’s Arab residents have made their opposition to Israel known in recent months, with many voting “uncommitted” in the Democratic presidential primary to protest President Biden’s support for the Jewish state.

Middle East Media Research Institute executive director Steven Stalinski dubbed the city “America’s jihad capital” in a February op-ed in the Wall Street Journal.

“Almost immediately after” the Hamas attack of October 7, “people were celebrating the horrific events of that day in pro-Hamas rallies and marches throughout Dearborn,” Stalinsky wrote.
------
Zach Kessel is a William F. Buckley Jr. Fellow in Political Journalism and a recent graduate of Northwestern University.

Finally some good Americans

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

i wonder if to be a fellow of the william f buckley institute you have to do what he did and go ob a yacht with othwr guys to swim naked to prove youre not gay.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

moths posted:

There's nearly zero precedent for how unprofessional the IOF is on social media.

The atrocities already reflect Israeli culture, but they have escalated to where that pedophile foot fetish nazi feels comfortable bragging about his depravity on insta.

That's not a disciplined army, it's savagery.

The IDF is rapidly approaching clone status of another infamous military whose initials started with an I, mostly through the same behavior, acting as an army-shaped bandit horde doing whatever it pleases to the local population under the vague direction of local officers, and a civilian leadership that is either unwilling or unable to reign them in when it doesn't actively approve of the war crimes, which is increasingly often

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

LONG LIVE YEMEN

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zodar
May 21, 2007

PawParole posted:

LONG LIVE YEMEN

lmao

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

PawParole posted:

LONG LIVE YEMEN

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

PawParole posted:

LONG LIVE YEMEN

Hahahaha

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

lmao

https://twitter.com/mrbarnicoat/status/1777064509384904746

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Sounds like orientalist hogwash to me. Sometimes part of the middle east is united under an empire is not a particularly perceptive statement and applies equally well to Europe.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

no diaper, 3/5

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

every western country besides maybe France forgetting what a protest is is usually incredibly depressing, but you get a silver lining now and again

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

leave it to Israelis to steal the Falun Gong schtick but be even more annoying about it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The performance art unexpectedly concludes with a 2000lb IOF bomb.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

mcmagic posted:

leave it to Israelis to steal the Falun Gong schtick but be even more annoying about it.

wait til they steal the dance troupe thing

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Are they a theatre group depicting their leadership being incarcerated for war crimes?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

islamic resistance of iraq claimed that they bombed oil refineries and ports in Israel, is there any secondary verification of this?

=====

Islamic Resistance in Iraq: We bombed vital targets in the occupied territories

The Islamic Resistance in Iraq announced that it had bombed “a vital target in Ashkelon and its oil port and another vital target in the occupied territories.”

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...31610;&%231583;

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

genericnick posted:

lmao at the still

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

islamic resistance of iraq claimed that they bombed oil refineries and ports in Israel, is there any secondary verification of this?

=====

Islamic Resistance in Iraq: We bombed vital targets in the occupied territories

The Islamic Resistance in Iraq announced that it had bombed “a vital target in Ashkelon and its oil port and another vital target in the occupied territories.”

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...31610;&%231583;

I don't see any other verification, they also claimed to have attacked an air base in Bir Al-Sabi though

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

If it was any other group, I would have felt bad about how hard I laughed when I saw this.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

lmao I'm all the guys putting blood on their assholes and shrieking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

they hosed my rear end!
they hosed my aaaaaaasssssss!!!!