Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

According to capcom guys who worked on megaman, including secrets like hidden items or metalman being one-hit by his own weapon was entirely bait for game magazine coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Mtx and dlc took cheat codes away from us and I’ll never not be salty about it

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I guess the lemming is riding the rainbow (:catdrugs:), but it looks more like they're falling :ohdear:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Dunno if it fits here but definitely a relic. Corridor did a video on Disney's sodium vapor & 'magic' cube that was used in their old films pre-green screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQuIVsNzqDk

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Wait, what’s that down in the corner about an “AdLib PC Video”? Was there an AdLib video card?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Dunno if it fits here but definitely a relic. Corridor did a video on Disney's sodium vapor & 'magic' cube that was used in their old films pre-green screen.

The whole "they lost the only prisms ever made and they couldn't be reproduced!" seems kind of fake, but I guess I could see it happening.It seems like it wasn't that it was prisms getting lost, but it was a whole camera setup. The original setup was an old technicolor camera that could record onto 3 film reels, and they changed it to film onto two reels of film for the sodium vapor process. I could see if they lost that whole setup, it would be easier to just give it up and switch to just using chromakey. especialyl considering how few movies were even using it. The last movie to use it was Dick Tracy in 1990. By then, I'm guessing chromakey was good enough to just give up on sodium vapor, but I could see its use coming back into style for certain things. It seems really useful.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
People have been searching for those prisms for decades (with the way Disney Studios has shifted and merged over the years, God only knows where they've wound up), but chromakey was so cheap, and it was 'good enough' no one ever made a serious attempt to reproduce them.

The prism does an insanely good job of creating absolutely clean mattes. It really is incredible retro tech.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
For completely unrelated reasons I was looking for low pressure sodium bulbs a year or so ago and Philips had stopped making them, so when they said you could still get them I was confused.

Looks like some other company I never heard of is now maybe manufacturing them?

https://glowobject.com

Or maybe they found the last warehouse of stock and are rebadging

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

While the big well known manufacturers have stopped making them, there is still a factory somewhere making new ones. There's a dutch webshop that sells those - a sox 18 is about 35 euro, a sox 35 about 30 euro. I've also seen the exact same lamps rebadged by Bailey going for well past 50 euro, into the 100 euro range - really odd.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

History Comes Inside! posted:

Mtx and dlc took cheat codes away from us and I’ll never not be salty about it

Cheat Engine still exists.

I remembered it came in clutch during Shadows of Mordor 2 when they MTX'd everything. Just give yourself 9999 mtx currency and hey, all your armies are impossible to kill.

Dragons Dogma 2 pranked all the players by making certain items like the ability to warp or resurrection on the spot very rare OR let you buy via MTX. It didn't even require memory editing like Cheat Engine but just a mod to the game to have a vendor in the first city start selling them for cheap.

You can hire another player's companion to adventure with you and when you send them back with a gift for this random player. I bet they will enjoy a gift worth ~$3.00 would be appreciated :kiddo:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

EVIL Gibson posted:

Cheat Engine still exists.

So do games consoles

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

the ps5 is x86-64, as is the xbox. at this point consoles are just a worse gaming pc

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Is there any reason it has to be sodium vapor lamps? Wouldn't any singe-wavelength LED work here? I'm making a big assumption about a bright enough LED source existing.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Guy Axlerod posted:

Is there any reason it has to be sodium vapor lamps? Wouldn't any singe-wavelength LED work here? I'm making a big assumption about a bright enough LED source existing.

I'm not an expert, but I think yes, any single-wavelength would work, as long as it isn't in the color image you're trying to capture and you can notch/split it during recording, so one recording captures only that one wavelength and the other recording captures everything except that one wavelength.

Sodium vapor is good because it's mature technology and it emits that weird yellow wavelength that RGB LEDs don't emit, so it's easier to isolate. You could use UV or something as long as you had the right filters for it and your recording system was sensitive to it. Back when Disney was doing it it might have been one of the only narrow wavelength lighting technologies that wouldn't have interfered with the three color film process.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

HKR posted:

the ps5 is x86-64, as is the xbox. at this point consoles are just a worse gaming pc

Never having to deal with drivers and runtimes is admittedly a plus.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dewgy posted:

Never having to deal with drivers and runtimes is admittedly a plus.
Microsoft could fix this with packaging, but instead they’re too busy with LLMNNs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Guy Axlerod posted:

Using sodium vapor is probably just because it's an easy way to get one exact wavelength. In a couple chemistry classes I've taken, at some point, we look at different kinds of lamps through a prism to see what wavelengths the elements inside create. Sodium just makes one wavelength, whereas some other elements will emit 2 or more wavelengths. So if you had an LED that emits only one wavelength, it would work as well. The big technology here is the beam splitter that splits the image into one beam that has all wavelengths except the backdrop, and one beam that only has that wavelength.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Microsoft could fix this

lol that's optimistic

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
This guy been running YLE's teksti-tv service for over 20 years. A weird old greybeard with bottles of unidentified yellow liquid on his desk. He doesn’t have a smartphone, only an old Nokia. He’s fantastic.

https://www.hs.fi/kaupunki/helsinki/art-2000010336513.html

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Creature posted:

This guy been running YLE's teksti-tv service for over 20 years. A weird old greybeard with bottles of unidentified yellow liquid on his desk. He doesn’t have a smartphone, only an old Nokia. He’s fantastic.

Fun fact. Almost 50% of the YLE tax goes to this man's salary. He's the single most important person in Finland. Without him the country would grind to a halt.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
They still have teletext in finland? Maybe I should move there.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I said it once and I'll say it again: The Finnish people have a long history of doing whatever the gently caress they want in spite of foreign pressures or even common sense, and I deeply respect that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
These guys made a song about teletext

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbqWoAH5nYU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I loving hated that time at the turn of the millennium when a lot of people would pop over, and the first thing they wanted to do is check Teksti-TV for whateverthefuck sports results. Even if other people were, you know, watching the TV or a movie or playing a computer video game or whatever. "Oh I'll use the transparency mode I just need to check real quick." Why don't you use the five cut logs mode that the carpenter made in the wall?

Luckily, I had a TV that was slightly older than myself so it simply didn't have Teksti-TV. (Which a few people simply refused to believe, like... feel free to see if the remote control has a button for it... not that there's a loving remote control. See the god drat woodgrain on the telly??)

Nowadays those types just stare at they smart phone and eat hot chip. (They're also the people who skip all cutscenes in games and regard any scenes before opening credits of a movie as skippable. Actually you know what the hell with "those types of people" I'm just going to say it: gently caress YOU PETE and ESPECIALLY gently caress YOU TROUSER-ANA.)

e: I feel better now.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Yeah, take that Trouser-Ana :confused:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

TextTV/TeleText is still available in lots of European countries.

Early on in the Covid19 pandemic, it was one of the better ways of getting numbers in Denmark, because the official websites got hammered.

BlankSystemDaemon has a new favorite as of 08:32 on Apr 9, 2024

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

First of May posted:

I'm not an expert, but I think yes, any single-wavelength would work, as long as it isn't in the color image you're trying to capture and you can notch/split it during recording, so one recording captures only that one wavelength and the other recording captures everything except that one wavelength.

Sodium vapor is good because it's mature technology and it emits that weird yellow wavelength that RGB LEDs don't emit, so it's easier to isolate. You could use UV or something as long as you had the right filters for it and your recording system was sensitive to it. Back when Disney was doing it it might have been one of the only narrow wavelength lighting technologies that wouldn't have interfered with the three color film process.

Low pressure sodium vapor lamps produce one extremely sharply defined wavelength of light. Nothing else comes close to it, in terms of how spectrally pure it is, perhaps with the exception of certain lasers.
There are no LED or other light sources that are similar in how narrow the emitted spectrum is.

Here are the spectra for RGB leds, with the same relative 0 to 100% scale:

Although still fairly narrow, the 'shoulder' is much wider. You might be able to work with giant dichroic filters in front of the LEDs, but that would hamper the efficiency and also be more expensive than simply getting a bunch of SOX LPS lamps.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I have no idea how any of this works but what about quantum dots? My extremely surface level and probably wrong reading of how they work is that they efficiently change light wavelengths?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Almost bid on a MikroMikko 3TT (sans VDU) but then I realized... I own one. And it should be in working condition once I, uhh, reassemble it.

Mine's not that dirty.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

3D Megadoodoo posted:

...the people who skip all cutscenes in games...

You don't?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I do, and then I post angrily online about how the games don’t make any sense because the lazy developers can’t tell a story

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm not a sociopath no. Playing games for anything except the plot is like eating soup because you are a spoon.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Creature posted:

it might actually be pee

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

TextTV/TeleText is still available in lots of European countries.

Early on in the Covid19 pandemic, it was one of the better ways of getting numbers in Denmark, because the official websites got hammered.

It's called televideo in Italy and the public broadcaster provides a web mirror if you wish to experience it

https://www.televideo.rai.it/televideo/pub/index.jsp

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

It's called televideo in Italy and the public broadcaster provides a web mirror if you wish to experience it

https://www.televideo.rai.it/televideo/pub/index.jsp
Danish Radio does the same thing.

Hilariously, it uses cgi-bin to get to a PE32(+?) Windows executable.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
posting my personal youtube old tech guy.

summary: this is a guy that used to do graphic animation/mix/design in the mid 90's (clip) that now does stuff with his family using old tech

before you go and say, "whoa, family vlogs are the worst"! just check out some of the stuff he did. I hope this thumbnail of a sampling of his videos helps you decide.

https://www.youtube.com/@Pinodita/featured

edit: His entire channel is on Youtube Kids which is why he doesn't really come up a lot on main channels.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

EVIL Gibson posted:

posting my personal youtube old tech guy.

summary: this is a guy that used to do graphic animation/mix/design in the mid 90's (clip) that now does stuff with his family using old tech

before you go and say, "whoa, family vlogs are the worst"! just check out some of the stuff he did. I hope this thumbnail of a sampling of his videos helps you decide.

https://www.youtube.com/@Pinodita/featured

edit: His entire channel is on Youtube Kids which is why he doesn't really come up a lot on main channels.

Nice channel. That's actually a refreshing twist to a retro channel that the person is actually talented. There's so much content where a youtuber showcases an old art package and they can't do more than random scribbles and rectangles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikaAkeXD7Rg

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Put a shirt on Haddock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Tried to find a thread for vintage stuff but didn't see one...so I'll post this 95 year old relic here :)

An old radio my dad had, me & my mom found it on the top shelf of his office closet while reorganizing & cleaning the house up. RCA Radiola 21, manufactured around 1929-30 & apparently one of the first radios that could connect to home AC power/wiring. Going to check with a local vintage radio place & see what they think, for almost a century old this thing is in amazing condition.