Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My first thought was "huh, small earthquake, alright". It wasn't until five minutes later that I realized "wait, I'm not in California any more, this isn't normal!"

Not even big enough to bother waking up for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

where i come from there are constant magnitude 8 quakes, tornadoes full of bees, and you have to go to school with a volcano who is way smarter than you and smug about it

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

LonsomeSon posted:

where i come from there are constant magnitude 8 quakes, tornadoes full of bees, and you have to go to school with a volcano who is way smarter than you and smug about it

gently caress the volcano, kill the quakes, marry the bees.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

gently caress the volcano, kill the quakes, marry the bees.

I don't see how that's going to get you across the river

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

u whuut my dude

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Oh my

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

So either there's romex running in a trench cut through the drywall and encased in a mud conduit, or there are a bunch of studs wirh new notches. Taking bets?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Wow, they really wanted a fancy bidet, huh?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
In concrete or block buildings, there is a coat of plaster instead of drywall. This is what people do in order to run wire, grind a channel into the masonry wall and stick romex or whatever in there. So you get tradesmen from Eastern Europe or China showing up in the US, thinking they are going to do the same thing. I watched this bullshit in real time, it makes for a funny story later

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
That’s a North American outlet so I’m guessing they didn’t want to deal with running the wire through the studs so they just gouged out a channel in the drywall and spackled the wire in place

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I am not a carpenter, but my brain is screaming “RUN!”

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

I'm an idiot, but surely doing this right would have been cheaper than whatever this is

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

That screams, "We didn't measure our stanchions correctly, and needed another 4 inches to get the deck flush with the patio door." Instead of, you know, building a step-down around the patio door.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I’m the uneven 4x4 posts that appear to be sitting randomly on 9/16” deck planking.

Guys

There’s this thing called a T-square. Another called a level. Let’s not forget the plumb bob

Scrungus
Nov 21, 2022
God what is it about decks that renders builders incapable of planning? Are they just not measuring anything? Constructing without even a drawing?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Scrungus posted:

God what is it about decks that renders builders incapable of planning? Are they just not measuring anything? Constructing without even a drawing?

They're (compared to houses) relatively simple structures. Which means that people either DIY it themselves with next to no experience building anything, or they hire the handyman that the neighbor recommended who also has no idea what he's doing.

And yeah, a lot of constructing without a drawing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just not way to know how a deck will end up.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

It looks like the decking is actually sloping upwards to the middle of the joist as well

e: I think the hangers might also be the only thing holding those side bits in place, and I'm guessing those are there because aligning the things end to end instead of offset meant they could get the hangers in directly opposite or something.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Just not way to know how a deck will end up.

Oh I think a stiff wind will solve that question.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

PainterofCrap posted:

I’m the uneven 4x4 posts that appear to be sitting randomly on 9/16” deck planking.

Guys

There’s this thing called a T-square. Another called a level. Let’s not forget the plumb bob

I'm the screw through the decking that missed both of the scraps they are calling the joist.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Cyrano4747 posted:

the handyman that the neighbor recommended who also has no idea what he's doing.

I remember doing some cash side jobs for a “contractor”, major emphasis on the quotes.

He was extending a deck to surround an above ground pool. He had absolutely no idea how to create a support in a semi-circle to allow the deck boards to end flush the with pool. I spend a whole afternoon cutting* “nailers” for him, and tacking them to his random grid of joists so the deck boards were landing on something.

*with a reciprocating saw.. on a wheelbarrow

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

A few coil straps and hurricane ties at each joist intersection and I'd trust it long enough to stand on while I'm tearing it down

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I didn't take a picture, but I stayed at my cousin's condo in Warsaw and all the interior doors were these nice etched glass designs. Even the bathroom door. Sure was fun taking a poo poo in the bathroom in the middle of the condo and watching the outlines of people walking from the kitchen to the dining room and thinking about what they could see if they looked toward me.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Uthor posted:

I didn't take a picture, but I stayed at my cousin's condo in Warsaw and all the interior doors were these nice etched glass designs. Even the bathroom door. Sure was fun taking a poo poo in the bathroom in the middle of the condo and watching the outlines of people walking from the kitchen to the dining room and thinking about what they could see if they looked toward me.

Never have to knock!

(Made me remember a completely untranslateable anecdote where a dude's mother tried the shitter door and upon finding it locked, exclaimed: "Ai siäl onki joku!" to which the voice of the grandfather replied from within: "Ei tääl kukka mittä onki; paskal mää ole!")

(e: I mean I guess I can translate it, it just isn't funny that way. "Ai siäl onki joku!" translates to both "Oh there's someone in there!" and "Oh there's someone fishing there!" and the reply is "Ain't no-one fishing here; I'm doing a poo poo!")

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 8, 2024

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
pics unrelated

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Uthor posted:

That’s pretty common in central and parts of Eastern Europe. Most interior doors of Czech homes are like that. I think it has to do with allowing the maximum amount of natural light throughout the house/apartment

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Uthor posted:

That's the kind of thing that would make me poo poo with the lights off just out of paranoia.

A friend's guest bathroom has a frosted glass door and they hung a wreath on it. About half the time I glance over at it while pissing my brain registers it as a child-sized person with their nose pressed against the window and their arms in a circle above their head, like a cartoon of a poor kid looking in a candy store window. Freaks me out for a fraction of a second before I remember the wreath.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lemniscate Blue posted:

That's the kind of thing that would make me poo poo with the lights off just out of paranoia.

Why do you poo poo with the lights on?

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 8, 2024

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Why do you poo poo with the lights on?

The poop goblins are afraid of light.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
My house only has one glass door in the entire house and it's the downstairs half-bath. No idea what though process lead to that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The poop goblins are afraid of light.

You want to be afraid? IDGI.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Toilet bowl lights are a godsend for those groggy pees when you don't want to wake up yet

Just piss into the glowing blue bowl

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have an LED nightlight by the sink and it's more than enough light to prevent any major splashdowns. I used to have one of those old GE Limelites and even that was sufficient.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Scratch Monkey posted:

That’s pretty common in central and parts of Eastern Europe. Most interior doors of Czech homes are like that. I think it has to do with allowing the maximum amount of natural light throughout the house/apartment

That's true, the light in that condo was great.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

moist turtleneck posted:

Toilet bowl lights are a godsend for those groggy pees when you don't want to wake up yet

Just piss into the glowing blue bowl

Cherenkov radiation sanitizes the bowl, right?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Just do what I’m doing and have juvenile turkeys under a heat lamp living in your bathroom

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Yes that black going into the backstab is from the panel and is used to feed everything else in the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

This is how you make Santa never visit your house. How is a reindeer gonna land on that poo poo?

That's a pretty standard way of using a new work box in an old work situation. Arlington makes boxes with guides for screws on the inside for that installation method. Cutting the backs off of line voltage boxes however.... :science:

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 9, 2024