Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The only good James Bond is the one from Moriarty the Patriot who is actually Irene Adler pretending to be a man to hide her identity and still flirting with everything that moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)

NikkolasKing posted:

Pretty much. The joke is specifically that he keeps talking about 'scoring" and Yukiko is always vaguely offended by it, insisting "can we PLEASE stop talking about scoring." Because of course it all started with Shadow Yukiko talking about "scoring a hot stud."

But at no point does anybody tell Teddie what "scoring" means in this context, or why it makes Yukiko uncomfortable.

To add-on, Teddie specifically uses the Japanese word for girls hitting on guys. So every time he says "I'm gonna score with Chie and Yukiko and Rise", he is saying, "I'm going to [girls hitting on guys] the girls". This is how you know you aren't supposed to take him seriously. And of course, none of the Investigation Team correct him. But the English version keeps using scoring, and only scoring, which isn't really gendered. The English version doesn't make it gendered again until the part before the omurice cookoff, where Kanji hears Teddie say it, and gets confused.

By the time of one of his Social Link ranks, his dungeon chat dialogue with Chie reveals that he has figured it out. Chie asks him if he is really trying to go after Nanako, and she frankly sounds like she's about to kill him if he says yes, and Teddie replies that he's only trying to "score" with the older girls, this time using the actual word for "guys hitting on girls". So yeah he figured out what these words mean off-screen.

Regarding people telling Teddie, "No, stop", that kinda does happen once in Yukiko's castle, but it too got obliterated in translation. Yukiko's Shadow says something flirty before the boss fight, and Teddie repeats it after the boss fight. In Japanese, Yosuke tells him, "Why are you repeating what she said? We're gonna leave you here forever if you keep doing that." In English, there's no acknowledge from Yosuke that Teddie was mimicking her Shadow cause the line is changed to Yosuke just calling him creepy.

Frankly, I don't really like Teddie either, but the changes to the English version are a big question mark to me.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Living with Yosuke also probably helped Teddie connect the dots considering how he teases Yosuke about his nurse magazines.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yosuke living with Teddie makes him the true hero of persona 4.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i really love the persona 3 reload ost

e;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OEEvgEODM0

Sunk Dunk fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 5, 2024

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Zokari posted:

let's all make sure the cartoon bear is appropriately shamed for his toxic behavior
I know it's not his fault, you say, but there ain't no other way.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

miasmacloud posted:

To add-on, Teddie specifically uses the Japanese word for girls hitting on guys. So every time he says "I'm gonna score with Chie and Yukiko and Rise", he is saying, "I'm going to [girls hitting on guys] the girls". This is how you know you aren't supposed to take him seriously. And of course, none of the Investigation Team correct him. But the English version keeps using scoring, and only scoring, which isn't really gendered. The English version doesn't make it gendered again until the part before the omurice cookoff, where Kanji hears Teddie say it, and gets confused.

By the time of one of his Social Link ranks, his dungeon chat dialogue with Chie reveals that he has figured it out. Chie asks him if he is really trying to go after Nanako, and she frankly sounds like she's about to kill him if he says yes, and Teddie replies that he's only trying to "score" with the older girls, this time using the actual word for "guys hitting on girls". So yeah he figured out what these words mean off-screen.

Regarding people telling Teddie, "No, stop", that kinda does happen once in Yukiko's castle, but it too got obliterated in translation. Yukiko's Shadow says something flirty before the boss fight, and Teddie repeats it after the boss fight. In Japanese, Yosuke tells him, "Why are you repeating what she said? We're gonna leave you here forever if you keep doing that." In English, there's no acknowledge from Yosuke that Teddie was mimicking her Shadow cause the line is changed to Yosuke just calling him creepy.

Frankly, I don't really like Teddie either, but the changes to the English version are a big question mark to me.

I do appreciate the insights from the Japanese script, although I've always heard Japanese Teddie is absolutely unbearable. No pun intended at all, he's just really bad.

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)

NikkolasKing posted:

I do appreciate the insights from the Japanese script, although I've always heard Japanese Teddie is absolutely unbearable. No pun intended at all, he's just really bad.

I find his voice pretty annoying. He is voiced by a fairly veteran VA, Kappei Yamaguchi (Ranma, Inuyasha, Kaito Kid, Usopp, L). I think the instruction given to him was, "Be as annoying as possible". In the P4 developer interview, Hashino also talks about people finding him annoying, but being impressed with the JP VA's performance.

But script / dialogue-wise...? Personally, I think Japanese Teddie is miles better than English Teddie in that area. Like the second you hear him repeat gyakunan, you know you're not supposed to take anything he says seriously. He also doesn't actually say bear puns in Japanese - he just sometimes ends his sentences in kuma, like as his character speech copula. (That said: I don't see how else you're supposed to translate him using bear as a copula except with bear puns.)

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Teddie using bear puns is 90% of what makes him good. Namaste

ApplesandOranges posted:

Was it ever explained why Teddie had an ego and manifested at around that time, anyway.

My personal theory -- headcanon whatever the gently caress -- is that he's either directly the MC's Shadow which got disconnected thanks to Izanami's weirdness or spawned directly as a result of her shoving awakening into three guys' brains.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/MbKKssTBhz5/status/1777240240824197390

Atlus hinted at it with the pic below:

https://twitter.com/MbKKssTBhz5/status/1777242043276042264

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
So….2025?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm willing to believe 2025 but it's still very weird that Atlus themselves have been completely silent on P6.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think it's all that surprising, it seems to be their current strategy. There were reports that Reload was feature-complete like a full year before launch, which would predate even its original announcement. Also, they probably want to avoid a repeat of Persona 5's announcement ending up far too early in the long run.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm willing to believe 2025 but it's still very weird that Atlus themselves have been completely silent on P6.

It really isn't. Persona 3 Reload just came out and Metaphor is coming out later this year. They'll start advertising P6 more once their current set of big titles are out.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Maybe they’re waiting for the Switch U Advance to be announced

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Funky Valentine posted:

They have not-Persona by the Persona guy to promote first.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

it's not really uncommon for studios to announce games less than a year before they come out nowadays

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I've just started Persona 5 Tactica, is the repaint your heart dlc worth getting?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Depends. The story is pretty slight but the stages themselves are more challenging than anything in the base game.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
kanji > chie > yukiko > yosuke > teddie rn

i am a sucker for meathead with a heart of gold and the scenes of kanji desperate trying to keep up with them on his bike have sold him to me

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kanji is easily the best character in the game

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Arist posted:

Kanji is easily the best character in the game

the entire series, actually, and Atlus knows it! which is why they'll never, ever let it happen again!!! :spooky:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

let what happen again?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

tbp posted:

kanji > chie > yukiko > yosuke > teddie rn

i am a sucker for meathead with a heart of gold and the scenes of kanji desperate trying to keep up with them on his bike have sold him to me

kanji deserved better imho

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't hate Kanji or anything, but I've always been fascinated by the divides in Western and Japanese fandoms and Kanji is a prime example of this. I can't read Japanese so I'm going mostly by Japanese polls vs. Western internet forums like this but my impression is that Kanji is much more beloved by us English speakers. I just always wondered why, same way I wonder about any sharp contrast in what we like vs. what Japanese fans like.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

let what happen again?

Im expressing kind of cynicism about the future of the franchise bc it seems to me like a total fluke that Atlus accidentally let a major character(🤑) get that close to LGBT Themes in a sincere, sympathetic light, and they've been walking tf back on "it's ok to be gay, actually!" in unambiguous, genuine terms ever since. they didnt even quite go there in the first place! Id be happy if Im wrong someday tho, Im just not very hopeful

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8Kasz1-xtw

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

wizard2 posted:

Im expressing kind of cynicism about the future of the franchise bc it seems to me like a total fluke that Atlus accidentally let a major character(🤑) get that close to LGBT Themes in a sincere, sympathetic light, and they've been walking tf back on "it's ok to be gay, actually!" in unambiguous, genuine terms ever since. they didnt even quite go there in the first place! Id be happy if Im wrong someday tho, Im just not very hopeful

they removed the transphobic stereotype from P3R's beach scene

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

That wasn't the message of Kanji's whole thing, anyways.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't hate Kanji or anything, but I've always been fascinated by the divides in Western and Japanese fandoms and Kanji is a prime example of this. I can't read Japanese so I'm going mostly by Japanese polls vs. Western internet forums like this but my impression is that Kanji is much more beloved by us English speakers. I just always wondered why, same way I wonder about any sharp contrast in what we like vs. what Japanese fans like.

He is just a good boy.

Usually, JPN favorite polls are controversial, to say the least for a lot of series.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Kanji is not a girl or a pretty man, so yeah, he was doomed in the JP polls.

Also see Shinjiro.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

let what happen again?

Having a good character

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

i heard this was true of ruyuji too, that hes way more liked in english speaking countries

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Imo it's just that there are more girls and gay dudes that play persona overseas since the ranking for girls are more consistent in order

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

idk how anyone can't love kanji. he just came over to help nanako with her homework and did her art homework for her and built this absurdly complicated creation that obvious a 6 year old couldn't have done lol

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Persona is for the girlies and gays.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tired Moritz posted:

Imo it's just that there are more girls and gay dudes that play persona overseas since the ranking for girls are more consistent in order

I feel like both things here (that characters like Kanji or Ryuji are significantly more beloved in the West and that fewer girls player Persona in Japan) probably aren't true (and particularly the latter). IIRC Ryuji actually did better in one of the major Japanese polls than the Overseas part of the same poll, and also had more female respondants in Japan.

I think the perceived difference largely comes down to differences in internet discourse (which often does *not* correspond with actual player opinions) and player expectations. Regarding the former, certain ideas tend to catch on and magnify online. Like the whole "Kanji owns and Yousuke sucks" thing wasn't really some super common opinion back when P4 originally came out (and I have my doubts that it's even common now either; it's just that those opinions are more common to show up among "the sort of people who discuss this stuff online"). Also, in the Japanese context, it is extremely normal and common for female fan-service to take the form of stuff like the Joker/Akechi relationship. I mean, this is also true of Western players, but there's more of a focus on direct female PoVs here (so you end up with people wrongly assuming that a game with a male protagonist must be primarily/only targeting men).

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
There's also some cultural differences in the behaviors that are admired; a character who is perceived as being loud, noisy, or disruptive would be a turn-off for mainstream Japanese society in a way that American society wouldn't notice or care as much about. It's a lot of small cultural differences that start to pile up. Plus you can't divorce a work from its time period of production/release either.

Again, P4 is sadly reflective of a media culture of its time. The game is well over a decade old at this point, so there's going to inherently be a huge gap in interpretation beyond the cross-national.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 10, 2024

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Girls don't play Persona in Japan, please ignore how popular Akechi is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

ignoring any greater perception, it feels very clear that the characters in p4 are written pretty sincerely, everyone is taken mostly seriously in a way that i thought was a little lacking in p5r, even with the lighter tone so far. idk if sincerely is the right word but i really enjoy the character writing in this game.