Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Stux posted:

oh before i gforget akagi

furthermore watch Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

All the animes I've seen are from the Stone Age (Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Fullmetal Alchemist). Someone make a curated list and I'll make it one of my Forever Projects to watch through them.

forgot to recommend king of the hill

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I thought Great Pretender was absolutely loving amazing from art style to plot (at least the first arc; 2nd one was more mediocre; 3rd one was good but that super sappy 90s style romance song they kept playing took off a lot of points) when I watched it the first time when it came out during the pandemic but I feel like I’m the only one who watched it even though it was a Netflix show?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

forgot to recommend king of the hill

Top tier recommend

I enjoyed legend of the galactic heroes but never finished it :(

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

drat i found that one and figured it wasn't it b/c i misremembered the "kill the colonizer in your head" post as the op. and also i assumed it was gassed or goldmined

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

only listing ones I haven't seen mentioned yet:

cardcaptor sakura
initial D
natsume yuujinchou
clannad
angel beats

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Anybody say G-Gundam yet

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Dale, you baka

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Watch Redline

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Control Volume posted:

Watch Redline

yeppp

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
paranoia agent is one of the greatest tv shows i ever watched

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
susumu hirasawa and satoshi kon (rip) ftw

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Meanwhile in D&D

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Calmest Hitler I've ever seen

DarksydePhilFish
Dec 31, 2004

tabarnak ack ack

Control Volume posted:

Watch Redline

This kicks rear end, but I can't see it mentioned without thinking of one of the most embarrassing pieces of film criticism I've ever seen, courtesy beloved frontpage feature "Current Releases." Watch out for spoilers in the column itself, but they kept their ratings breakdown pretty clear of them:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I don't like this genre
*Watches it*
I don't like this genre

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

ArfJason posted:

paranoia agent is one of the greatest tv shows i ever watched

satoshi kon ftw

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Kill the king in your hill

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

satoshi kon ftw

This is very true.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

holy poo poo this is a tedious review

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

satoshi kon ftw

Time to check out what else this guy has done because I remember Paranoia Agent being really good

fake edit: god drat it

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Empty Sandwich posted:

holy poo poo this is a tedious review

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DarksydePhilFish posted:

This kicks rear end, but I can't see it mentioned without thinking of one of the most embarrassing pieces of film criticism I've ever seen, courtesy beloved frontpage feature "Current Releases." Watch out for spoilers in the column itself, but they kept their ratings breakdown pretty clear of them:

lol of those 3 contributors, 1 deleted their twitter account, one has 209 followers, and one had their account suspended

always a classic

Triticum Guzzler posted:

The essence of the criticism of the criticism that has been ongoing, at least on my part, is that it is bad. It is not good. It is really not very informative. It is not that it is bad to "care".

If you actually legitimately care about film, there is a good chance you do not post about it on this web site, because if you look at the movie forum (or the book forum, etc) you see that largely there's an incredible fixation on really childish products (and they are usually products rather than films) with a corresponding lack of taste. I'm sure it's an idea that's unfamiliar to you, as a grown man who wants to surgically replace his dick and balls with a coin operated motorised Donald Duck ride who is about 3 wispy chin hairs away from being a convicted rapist, but when criticism is coming from a really juvenile place about a less-juvenile subject it can seem very superficial and difficult to respect. Like when they allow kids to do news reports on the actual news.

This is one side of the coin here. Some of the reviewers present as, essentially, children of varying extreme largeness. But even if you read what they have to say about children's movies, it's still incredibly basic analysis of a film seen through a lens of a culture who are obsessed with identity politics in all things.

For example, if you read this week's review of The Boxtrolls, all you will learn is:

- The reviewer liked Coraline and Paranorman, but this film has a worse story
- There are trolls who wear boxes, also there are two characters who have names
- The film is nominally about the trolls who wear boxes, however it focuses on one of them who isn't REALLY a troll, but is actually a boy. This is a "big problem".
- The villain is avaristic and ugly. He pretends to be a woman, this is also a big problem, but we're not told why. Just that tumblr dislikes that and they're right to do so.
- The animation is good, kids will like it.

The only thing gleaned from this review that you won't get from the trailer is a number score and at some point a man wears a dress. It's an 800 word sideways glance at a movie and it really does not do a good job reviewing it outside of conveying the general sentiment that it's sort of not bad. I don't respect this, and I don't much care what this person has to say about other movies especially if they're more complicated than this movie for 6-year-olds.

On top of which the reviews are completely joyless, on a comedy web site. It's not just that it's really out of place, it's poorly executed in its own right. I'm not trying to illegally troll or insult them so please do not electronically beat me up, but I don't think they're cut out for this.

Thank you for reading this wearying post. As a reward, here is a picture of the cast of Duck Tales taking public transport so you can finally blast the biggest load of your life you mewling piece of poo poo idiot

garbage day posted:

The Current Releases crew has decided to "part ways with Something Awful." At one point CR was the 3rd most-read section on the front page; as of late, it's certainly been the most Forums-discussed feature!

Thanks to everyone for their feedback. It seems that the majority of forums posters don't want to read earnest media reviews on SA, so we won't be scheduling this sort of column in the foreseeable future.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DarksydePhilFish posted:

Professor Clumsy is the same fat idiot who wrote this beloved paragraph:

quote:

The female planes are apparently designed by someone who has no idea what a female plane would look like. The idea of introducing gendered identities to normally non-gendered objects so often treats the familiar as inherently masculine. Female planes are painted hot pink and granted the enlarged, fluttery eyelashes so often used to distinguish women from men in lazily drawn cartoons. "Look at that propellor," declares Dusty and he gets a look at one of the ladyplanes' rear end. In one scene, the film even eroticises the tilting of wingflaps for a disturbingly long time. You could argue that it is a joke. I would argue that it enforces the idea of objectifying women to all the five-year-old boys in the audience by applying it to literal objects who have gender but no sex. Gotta start them off early, after all.

Dude was just the absolute reincarnation of Roger Ebert's panniculus.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 00:39 on Apr 9, 2024

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
They should have given male planes penises instead, imo.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
imagine hating planes that much

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Control Volume posted:

Time to check out what else this guy has done because I remember Paranoia Agent being really good

fake edit: god drat it

I don't read the PYF Legends thread to become sad you fucks

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Bicyclops posted:

All the animes I've seen are from the Stone Age (Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Fullmetal Alchemist). Someone make a curated list and I'll make it one of my Forever Projects to watch through them.

Watch Mononoke (12 episode anime, not Princess Mononoke (but watch Princess Mononoke too, if you haven't)).

Also watch Legend of the Galactic Heros (it's also a Stone Age anime).

2004-2006 Black Jack is good too, haven't seen the other adaptations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Professor Clumsy is the same fat idiot who wrote this beloved paragraph:

Dude was just the absolute reincarnation of Roger Ebert's panniculus.

I still kind of want to know what this dweeb thinks a female plane should look like

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i found this very silly and i wanted to share it with everyone here

https://i.imgur.com/8IM1Q06.mp4

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zibraltar posted:

Professor Clumsy, could you please review your next films without going into some diatribe about Disney films polluting our future children's precious brains with evil neo-con values? You do a lot and it's really loving old. How about a review of a movie that talks about it not succeeding because it's boring or lazy, not because it has a hetero-normative, patriarchal subtext? Bringing up the socio-political ramifications of a Pixar movie doesn't make you look more impressive, or heroic, or intelligent. It looks like you're picking the low-hanging fruit so you can make up for not critiquing the movie's aesthetic and narrative faults in more detail.

I'd like to focus on the movie you're reviewing, but I can't do it with the sparks flying off the axe you're grinding in front of it.

Professor Clumsy posted:

No. Read a different critic.

They slapfight for a while and then the front page reviewers go back to jerking each other off awkwardly resulting in postings like this:

Professor Clumsy posted:

Thank you. Enraging horrible nerds is what I live for.

Then FYAD poster g0m got to write a joke review and the circlejerk was ruined hilariously.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

pentyne posted:

lol of those 3 contributors, 1 deleted their twitter account, one has 209 followers, and one had their account suspended

always a classic

The thread that triticum guzzlers post is from is one of my personal all timers.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

CelticPredator posted:

i found this very silly and i wanted to share it with everyone here

https://i.imgur.com/8IM1Q06.mp4

you can move like 3x faster if you spam the button to pick up and drop the shell fyi

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Coolguye posted:

you can move like 3x faster if you spam the button to pick up and drop the shell fyi

get a load of tactical butterfingers over here

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
devilman crybaby is a good anime

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

The female planes are apparently designed by someone who has no idea what a female plane would look like.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Coolguye posted:

I know, it’s just funny lookin while crouched

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Paladinus posted:

They should have given male planes penises instead, imo.

You ever see the opening scene of Dr. Strangelove?

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

This is also the thread where duncan burns Senior Woodchuck with a single post a few pages later. A good thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOAxM1gqbrg