Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

teen witch posted:

I’m currently dabbling in instant photography with my Instax, and it’s fun, but it’s very particular, especially with lighting. I wanted to get into Polaroid but with the costs of film and finding a camera that either still works or is worth buying new, Instax is far more accessible.

I totally get how instant photography went from pretty ubiquitous to a niche hobby with the rise of digital, having to cope with “sometimes film images will be less than perfect and that’s life!” is something I don’t see squaring with the culture. There are printers that print Instax photos from your phone and that’s a workaround - but you notice the quality difference pretty quickly, and even those still have their quirks.

Anyway this is where everyone prevents me from spending a $smokingischeaper amount on more filmpacks…

Oh you've come to the wrong place, we're here to enable all your worst impulses. As long as they involve clunky technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Use your drug money to buy all the film before they stop making the kind you like!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Computer viking posted:

Oh you've come to the wrong place, we're here to enable all your worst impulses. As long as they involve clunky technology.
My camera is endearingly clunky, the printer loud as hell and when the flash goes off, you feel it. Remember non-mobile flash? Spots and all.

Despite all that, it is pink and pretty adorable. Though my god FUJIFILM, whoever approves your “place viewfinder here and place the actual lens miles away” designs needs to meet their maker.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I have the Instax printer because I cannot fit the giant loving Instax camera in my pocket and thus would never use it, and one way to make the experience more authentic (?) is to have Amazon send you expired film that barely produces an image. Don't worry about how I know this

The prints make great stocking stuffers though especially if you shell out for the fun borders

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

teen witch posted:

My camera is endearingly clunky, the printer loud as hell and when the flash goes off, you feel it. Remember non-mobile flash? Spots and all.

Despite all that, it is pink and pretty adorable. Though my god FUJIFILM, whoever approves your “place viewfinder here and place the actual lens miles away” designs needs to meet their maker.

Oh that sounds annoying in a way I haven't had to deal with in decades; even the compact film camera I used as a teenager had the seeker as close as possible to the lens. I guess some of that institutional knowledge - among both makers and buyers - has been lost since then.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This is when we peaked as a civilization.

https://twitter.com/RetroNewsNow/status/1777156324037460037

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

...I need this in my life. Never more will I have soggy popcorn from where the butter was initially poured on!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Imagine the humiliation and trauma a person would have if they grew up in a HotTopper home. And that household would likely have tons of other single use appliances too.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

There's probably something easier to clean made out of silicone nowadays.

Heck, you can just perforate a cupcake tin and pour the the topping in from a microwaved cup.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

lobsterminator posted:

Imagine the humiliation and trauma a person would have if they grew up in a HotTopper home. And that household would likely have tons of other single use appliances too.

What's wrong with single-use appliances? Do you make coffee in a cauldron? Do you grind pepper with karate chops? Do you spread butter with a table knife?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I want to fill one of those up with suntan lotion and get a job as a Las Vegas resort cabana boy.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Dick Trauma posted:

I want to fill one of those up with suntan lotion and get a job as a Las Vegas resort cabana boy.

Microwave it first

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What's wrong with single-use appliances? Do you make coffee in a cauldron? Do you grind pepper with karate chops? Do you spread butter with a table knife?

There's nothing wrong with them. The kitchen is the place where all the magical appliances informercials and advertising in general has been trying to sell you things that will make your life easier/faster/better actually happens. There are tons of single-use appliances for all kinds of kitchen tasks, and they generally do what they say they will do. The problem is balancing the ones you actually will use regularly or semi-regularly (and therefore justify their space and expense) while learning to ignore the ones you don't use that much and don't need.

The automated pineapple corer/skinner someone posted in here or the tech relics thread is a great example - it's a giant counter mounted monstrosity, bigger than a fancy coffee maker. Most people don't cut up pineapples enough to make giving up that much space worth it. But if you are someone who regularly chops up pineapples, that's an incredible improvement in your quality of life in the kitchen.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I imagine most people are drinking coffee, grinding pepper and spreading butter a whole lot more than misting their popcorn with melted butter

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The hot topper just seems like a good idea for getting a more even coating of butter* on popcorn. Who doesn't like buttered* popcorn?

*Substitute butter for margarine or other tasty oil-based product you put on popcorn.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I love cutting up pineapples, but I learned to do it the right way, sixth, then cut off the core and the skin, done,

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

teen witch posted:

“sometimes film images will be less than perfect and that’s life!”

I love this aspect of it. Every photo is all the more authentic. We also have and use an instax camera, but we also got a used (but good condition) canon point & shoot 35mm camera. I have like 3 rolls I need to get developed. I've forgotten what's on all of them, and I look forward to being surprised/delighted when I find out. The specifics of the picture quality is something that just isn't easily replicable via digital filters. I love it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Just like I love the "cleanness" of digital audio I love being able to see my photographs right away on a digital camera. I don't think that it lacks authenticity; it's just a different kind of experience.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

I imagine most people are drinking coffee, grinding pepper and spreading butter a whole lot more than misting their popcorn with melted butter

Americans put butter on their popcorn.

Or so I've heard.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Or so I've heard.

We put popcorn in our butter.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gross.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Butter up your cornhole cause I'm popping!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ishikabibble posted:

It wasn't the worst idea, and iirc actually also originates from their technical products division. I wanna say I remember my dad even talking about using it when he worked for Boeing as a metallurgical failure analyst in the 80s/90s, for occasionally capturing stuff like mechanically testing.

Something that nobody who talks about the 'Polaroid story' ever really mentions was how insanely massive they were in basically every professional industry. To the point that Polaroid as a consumer format probably barely even made a blip on the radar in terms of their overall revenue. Their real big moneymaker was in peel-apart instant film.
Professional studio photographers all used it to preview exposure settings and make sure their lighting/etc setups were correct, and it was basically universal in technical fields. Before the advent of actually effect digital imaging equipment, the way you captured and printed something like an oscilloscope/SEM/regular optical microscope image, was literally to shove a piece of peel-apart instant film in front of a CRT or ground glass and just expose it like that. You could do it with normal film too, but peel-apart instant film was honestly good enough that the added complexity of needing to send it off to be developed just wasn't worth the hassle.

The big piece of glass at the bottom was for 4x5 Graflok backs. You'd get your image the normal way through the eyepieces and then flip a switch to divert the image to the ground glass, and then 'photograph' it there.

Or like on this SEM control panel, that's a regular Polaroid 545 back on the right, and at the base of that chimney-thing is a CRT.

And before you ask, yes I also think people always tell the Kodak story wrong too :lofty:

I was watching a video slideshow of photos from the old Stanford AI Lab just yesterday; there appears to be plenty of polaroids in there, and in some shots you can see a guy taking pictures of his terminal screen. I've also seen Polaroids from early development on the Macintosh and Lisa computers; I guess it's just a good way to capture the state of the screen and know right away if you did a good job or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbKvlxWkHVk

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Just like I love the "cleanness" of digital audio I love being able to see my photographs right away on a digital camera. I don't think that it lacks authenticity; it's just a different kind of experience.

The authenticity isn't a property of the medium, just encouraged by it. It's likely more authentic because you likely aren't taking 15 shots and choosing the best one. It's like the difference between posed shots and candids. You can pose with film and you can take candids with digital, but given the opportunity to easily and cheaply refine the desired picture, the digital medium leads people towards more posed, intentional photos.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Wayne Knight posted:

, the digital medium leads people towards more posed, intentional photos.

*Posts the goats man

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

i spread butter with the curved bit on the back of the bread knife, that's what it's for?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I'm pretty sure I have a hot topper that I found at a thrift store in my collection of weird kitchen appliances.

However it is incompatible with the most amazing microwave I have ever seen.

Unfortunately I have never found a Panasonic Skylite microwave.

https://www.retroist.com/p/panasonic-sky-lite-microwave-oven

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What's wrong with single-use appliances?

You should use your appliances more than once. It's just wasteful otherwise

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

wakka wakka posted:

You should use your appliances more than once. It's just wasteful otherwise

Wait, you mean I don't need to buy a new fridge every time I finish the milk?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Hot Topper...I should call her

my turn in the barrel posted:

Panasonic Skylite microwave.

This thing looks awesome. I love old microwaves and electric can openers and kitchen appliances in general.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 21:47 on Apr 8, 2024

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I had a non-microwave Hot Topper, which is basically a stick-of-butter-shaped hotplate connected to a nozzle.

That thing was awesome.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I got something similar as a wedding present (3 years ago). It was battery powered so there was a charging base to keep on your counter, but you kept the thing in your fridge so it was never charged. It was also impossible to clean so it just smelled of rancid butter within a month. We were thinking maybe it would have been better to use ghee/clarified butter so it wouldn't clog with milk solids. I gave it an honest try out of respect for my Aunt but it ended up in the trash when it started grossing me out.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Or so I've heard.

working at a cheap movie theater we had pure mazola in our squirter, people gobbled that up

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

working at a cheap movie theater we had pure mazola in our squirter, people gobbled that up

aww it's sweet you got to work with your mom

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I miss tropical oils, sure they were extremely bad for you but they were also Delicious.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

a porcelain 'gravy boat' is probably the best: easy to clean, microwave safe, classic look and style.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Porcelain isn't microwave safe unless it says so.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

then that's the type to get.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

By popular demand posted:

then that's the type to get.

Yeah I'll just replace all my heirloom china so I can microwave butter :rolleyes:

e: Not that I have butter.

ee: Anyway if I did have butter, wood is microwave-safe so I could just heat it up in the butter box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

If my grandma's generation taught me anything it's that fine china wares are only for keeping in display cases numerous enough to reduce the space of your apartment by 10% at least.