Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The key to understanding Vince is that while Trump is a howling void and devoid of any ideals whatsoever, Vince is not. Vince is, whether or not he realizes it, a genuine fascist. I don't mean he's an authoritarian conservative - although he obviously is in his own way - I mean he's a full blown fascist. He exalts, fetishizes, and worships power as an ends rather than a means. Once you understand this, literally all his weird hang-ups and issues make perfect sense. Of course he finds giraffes offensive; they have power but don't exercise it. Of course sneezing and yawning is bad, it's a loss of control, the surrender of power to his autonomous bodily processes, so on and so forth.

Vince is one of the most ideologically pure and consistent fascists to ever live, honestly.

Absolutely

Vince would get into intense arguments with people trying to push the idea of underdogs being able to rise up from adversity, but Vince despises an underdog

They were weak at one point

Vince idolizes the conquering hero, Superman smashing through the wall and sending everyone flying with a sweep of his arm

It’s why hulk hogan was booked the way he was, always correct and always ready to go, until they finally started a few angles like the earthquake squash

Vince never could enjoy the film die hard because McClain looks like a human and bleeds and shows pain and has feelings

(Because Vince never ever wants to look like a human and show pain or have feelings)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

you were also not allowed to use the names of moves or even the word move you had to call them no matter what a "maneuver" WWE commentary was very bland and almost nonsensical because of all the banned words

Even back when I watched WWE this always drove me insane. Joey Styles may have turned out to be a chud but he was absolutely amazing on commentary in ECW. He set the bar incredibly high and everyone else was just trash

WCW wasn't quite as bad as WWE because they actually had good people like Schiavone and Heenan but also they had Mark Madden and Bischoff and they were so god drat bad at everything

I'm so glad we have Excalibur in AEW now. He's basically perfect

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Of course he finds giraffes offensive; they have power but don't exercise it.

Spoken like someone who's never seen the damage an ossicone at full velocity from those long-rear end necks can do

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Vince re-wrote an entire episode of Raw to make it happier because he thought the audience was going to be depressed because George HW Bush died.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Animal-Mother posted:

Vince re-wrote an entire episode of Raw to make it happier because he thought the audience was going to be depressed because George HW Bush died.

lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
he'd rewrite episodes right as they were airing constantly the fact that wrestling needs a team of tv writers to begin with is funny but their work was meaningless because vince would always throw it out for something stupider

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he'd rewrite episodes right as they were airing constantly the fact that wrestling needs a team of tv writers to begin with is funny but their work was meaningless because vince would always throw it out for something stupider

Except Russo lol

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

Even back when I watched WWE this always drove me insane. Joey Styles may have turned out to be a chud but he was absolutely amazing on commentary in ECW. He set the bar incredibly high and everyone else was just trash

WCW wasn't quite as bad as WWE because they actually had good people like Schiavone and Heenan but also they had Mark Madden and Bischoff and they were so god drat bad at everything

I'm so glad we have Excalibur in AEW now. He's basically perfect

I loved aew dark because for a long time it was just Excalibur and Taz goofing off

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

AlmightyBob posted:

I loved aew dark because for a long time it was just Excalibur and Taz goofing off

AEW announcing is at it's best when they're just goofing off.

See also: The Riccabone Zone

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

One of my favorite stories of Vince freaking out was back in 2009 when Raw was going to be in Denver, but got bumped due to the NBA playoffs. To be fair, Vince had the right to be pissed. They booked the Pepsi Center well in advance and the people representing the Denver Nuggets didn't seem to expect them to make it so far into the bracket. That meant that they needed the Pepsi Center for Game 4 on the night Raw was scheduled. In the end, Raw had to relocate to the Staples Center.

Now, despite him rightfully being mad about it all, Vince went a bit too far in his pettiness. He started the show off by angrily dressing down a fake Stan Kroenke (Nuggets owner) for putting them in this position. Then the main event was a ten-man tag where the face team wore Lakers jerseys and the heel team wore Nuggets jerseys. The heel side was Randy Orton, Cody Rhodes, Ted Dibiase Jr., Big Show, and Miz. The face side was John Cena, Batista, MVP, Jerry Lawler, and a returning Mr. Kennedy.

Mr. Kennedy, for those who don't know or remember him, was a charismatic midcarder who seemed to have star written on him. At one point, he was famously and obviously going to be revealed as Vince's secret son, but then he got busted on PEDs directly after doing an interview where he talked poo poo about those who do that kind of thing. So instead, that spot went to Hornswoggle and we were all worse for it.

Kennedy was injury prone and also not very popular in the locker room. To "add realism," he would struggle while being picked up for bodyslams and suplexes, which pissed everyone off. Still, he was popular enough to be given several chances and many matches against top stars like Michaels and the Undertaker. This stupid, petty NBA match was how they were reintroducing him after an injury.

During the match, Kennedy did a belly-to-back suplex to Orton and dropped him right on his shoulder, which Orton had a history of issues with. You could see Orton angrily kicking him immediately after, popping up from receiving the move quicker than Kennedy for doing it. After the match, Orton and Cena complained to Vince about how unsafe Kennedy was and this was the last straw. Kennedy was fired and he never returned to WWE ever again.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Animal-Mother posted:

lmfao

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Cena: George Bush has been compromised to a permanent end

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

vince was molested as a child by his mother and like many survivors of that kind of trauma he does not ever want to lose control or look weak and in turn became an abuser himself because he never got therapy abuse fucks you up

The more one tries to analyze Vince, the more likely this fact seems to become, at least from an armchair psychology sense. Though, we must also remember, sometimes, people are just innately POS rear end in a top hat monsters. Like, I don't think Ted Bundy had too much in the way of childhood trauma. Vince 'lucking out' into meeting an equal monster in Linda probably also plays a big role.

It makes me ponder. Vince outright said in an interview how much he hated his stepfather (who might have also been abusive towards him, physically) and how he wanted to kill him, but I don't recall if Vince ever mentioned his mother at all. And I have to wonder, is that real hate? Or is it an extremely twisted and warped respect? After all, she had 'power'. She used it on him.

The abuse thing also made me recall how I have heard stories on how abused children have, among other things, adapted a defense mechanism of soiling themselves so that their abusers will be disgusted and not touch them. Suddenly the 'Vince craps himself and chases one of his people around with the poo poo smeared underwear on a stick' has some real nasty new context.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
There's part of me that wishes I could run into Vince McMahon just so I could call him "Vinnie Lupton" to see what happens.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

vince tried his hardest to make dusty look stupid when dusty was in the WWE and it always failed because dusty was a very likeable person no matter what you made him wear

Vince’s desire to mock Dusty (Virgil Riley Runnels Jr.) extended to naming a jobber after him.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Vince’s desire to mock Dusty (Virgil Riley Runnels Jr.) extended to naming a jobber after him.

who then went to WCW and became an NWO lackey named Vincent, because everyone else is just as carny as Vince

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

lol yeah, currently reading newer edition of Death of WCW so that was fresh in my mind. Fun to see updated info on what happened, and fortunate the authors excised at least one gay joke & a pointlessly cruel shot at Undertaker’s wife.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 9, 2024

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cornwind Evil posted:

Vince 'lucking out' into meeting an equal monster in Linda probably also plays a big role.

Equal monster? She was part of Trump’s cabinet, sure, but he is a violent rapist and megalomaniac. Did I miss a news story where she was committing offenses on a Vince level?

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

Yes, please give us the deep lore on Linda McMonster!

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

and much like his namesake Virgil managed to get over despite vince's best efforts

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

rotinaj posted:

Equal monster? She was part of Trump’s cabinet, sure, but he is a violent rapist and megalomaniac. Did I miss a news story where she was committing offenses on a Vince level?

While she's not outright committing crimes herself as far as I know, she's an enabler and she smoothed things out that, if Vince was purely alone, would have probably destroyed him far earlier at some point. She lets Vince do his thing and IIRC, helps covered several things up, or at least, didn't speak up where she could. It's one thing to be as damaged as Vince. But being that kind of heartless, 'As long as I get what I want, which is power, it seems' POS basically means all of Vince's sins equally stain her. I wouldn't try and convict her in a court of law over it, but morally? She's probably going to burn in hell right next to him.

AlmightyBob posted:

and much like his namesake Virgil managed to get over despite vince's best efforts

Albeit considerably less so than the original Virgil, ie, Dusty Rhodes, but still, Mike Jones got a moment and run that 90 percent of wrestlers would probably kill for. Though there's a fair argument it was also 90 percent Ted DiBiase being a great heel than any face qualities Jones possessed, like Ricky Morton's incredible ability to sell and be in peril, for an example.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 9, 2024

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Cornwind Evil posted:

The more one tries to analyze Vince, the more likely this fact seems to become, at least from an armchair psychology sense. Though, we must also remember, sometimes, people are just innately POS rear end in a top hat monsters. Like, I don't think Ted Bundy had too much in the way of childhood trauma. Vince 'lucking out' into meeting an equal monster in Linda probably also plays a big role.

It makes me ponder. Vince outright said in an interview how much he hated his stepfather (who might have also been abusive towards him, physically) and how he wanted to kill him, but I don't recall if Vince ever mentioned his mother at all. And I have to wonder, is that real hate? Or is it an extremely twisted and warped respect? After all, she had 'power'. She used it on him.

The abuse thing also made me recall how I have heard stories on how abused children have, among other things, adapted a defense mechanism of soiling themselves so that their abusers will be disgusted and not touch them. Suddenly the 'Vince craps himself and chases one of his people around with the poo poo smeared underwear on a stick' has some real nasty new context.

there's a very awkward howard stern interview out there where howard presses vince about his mother and its the only time i have ever felt sorry for vince because he clearly does not want to talk about his mother at all and is uncomfortable about it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
vince probably would have been a serial killer if he didnt luck into the WWF which is pretty wild to think about lol

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

vince probably would have been a serial killer if he didnt luck into the WWF which is pretty wild to think about lol
Edit: nope, too dark for my good sense, sorry everyone

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've said it before but a lot of that behaviour is familiar if you've ever dealt with a narcissist, because they do not have normal interactions like functional human beings, because they are obsessed with power and superiority and the need to always 'win', and see almost every interaction as a contest that must be won or lost, and they have to win, to come away superior in some way. They instinctively mask this when around people who they recognise as having power and leverage, or at least that they don't have any power or leverage over, and are all smiles, even fawning toadies, while if they have the slightest amount of power over someone they have to abuse it.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

there's a very awkward howard stern interview out there where howard presses vince about his mother and its the only time i have ever felt sorry for vince because he clearly does not want to talk about his mother at all and is uncomfortable about it

Yeah. I would bet money she molested him. And from the sheer broken nature of him, probably extensively.

Like his maybe half brother Trump, bastard never had a chance to be normal.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Gavok posted:

One of my favorite stories of Vince freaking out was back in 2009 when Raw was going to be in Denver, but got bumped due to the NBA playoffs. To be fair, Vince had the right to be pissed. They booked the Pepsi Center well in advance and the people representing the Denver Nuggets didn't seem to expect them to make it so far into the bracket. That meant that they needed the Pepsi Center for Game 4 on the night Raw was scheduled. In the end, Raw had to relocate to the Staples Center.

Now, despite him rightfully being mad about it all, Vince went a bit too far in his pettiness. He started the show off by angrily dressing down a fake Stan Kroenke (Nuggets owner) for putting them in this position. Then the main event was a ten-man tag where the face team wore Lakers jerseys and the heel team wore Nuggets jerseys. The heel side was Randy Orton, Cody Rhodes, Ted Dibiase Jr., Big Show, and Miz. The face side was John Cena, Batista, MVP, Jerry Lawler, and a returning Mr. Kennedy.

Mr. Kennedy, for those who don't know or remember him, was a charismatic midcarder who seemed to have star written on him. At one point, he was famously and obviously going to be revealed as Vince's secret son, but then he got busted on PEDs directly after doing an interview where he talked poo poo about those who do that kind of thing. So instead, that spot went to Hornswoggle and we were all worse for it.

Kennedy was injury prone and also not very popular in the locker room. To "add realism," he would struggle while being picked up for bodyslams and suplexes, which pissed everyone off. Still, he was popular enough to be given several chances and many matches against top stars like Michaels and the Undertaker. This stupid, petty NBA match was how they were reintroducing him after an injury.

During the match, Kennedy did a belly-to-back suplex to Orton and dropped him right on his shoulder, which Orton had a history of issues with. You could see Orton angrily kicking him immediately after, popping up from receiving the move quicker than Kennedy for doing it. After the match, Orton and Cena complained to Vince about how unsafe Kennedy was and this was the last straw. Kennedy was fired and he never returned to WWE ever again.

Your name is Enus! You’re…an anus!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
periodic reminder that the idea that molested kids grow up to become sex offenders themselves is a myth and also kind of an unintentionally lovely thing to say

statistically speaking adult survivors comprise, at the low end, 3% of the people reading this, and at the high end nearly 1 in 5, and the "vampire" stigma is a huge problem for them seeking help and being open about their experiences and dealing with poo poo like suicide ideation

there is a correlation between adult offenders and experiencing neglect and physical abuse (meaning hitting) during childhood, though, so I guess if you still want to go down that route with our boy vince after reading this go hog wild

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
just watched the wrestlemania highlights and

cena bald

+

why didnt the undertaker even bother dressing up

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I figure that he was modeling his merch and that outfit is for sale somewhere.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I would rather we not speculate as to sexual abuse. We know that Vince's (step?)dad did as that's been verified by him personally, but let's not ascribe things to people without concrete, verifiable evidence thank you

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Eau de MacGowan posted:

cena bald

+

Many people were speculating that Austin would show up. Personally, I think that may have been the original plan, but for whatever reason it didn't work out. Maybe he missed his flight or something. So they had to make a last-minute change and use 'Taker instead, even though he didn't have his ring gear with him.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
it was the biker taker learn the lore

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Super Dan posted:

Many people were speculating that Austin would show up. Personally, I think that may have been the original plan, but for whatever reason it didn't work out. Maybe he missed his flight or something. So they had to make a last-minute change and use 'Taker instead, even though he didn't have his ring gear with him.

Reminds me of how at Wrestlemania 15, Austin lost part of his ring gear somehow, so he had to come out for his main event match wearing one of his T-Shirts instead of his traditional vest.

My overthinking 'Let's provide reasoning for the tiny, dumb details that likely no one thought of or cared about, Anakin Brainwashed Padme By Accident And Jar Jar Was Meant To Be Darth Plagueis style' was that Austin was mocking Rock over finally going back to being bare chested after wrestling in his warmup clothes for a few months because he'd undergone chest surgery to deal with some issue that make his pectorals too large.

Edit: Gynecomastia surgery, that's what it was.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If we're going to speculate about Vince's childhood, let's stick to obvious stuff like him getting kicked out of school because it integrated and he was a violent racist.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
actually, it was because vince was a tough guy and fighting marines at only 12 years old

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Eau de MacGowan posted:

cena bald

+

he did, he wore his finest SS gear

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
ok next up

why is bayley egyptian now

+

why did seth rollins do mardi gras in philadelphia

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I mean, we have enough info to have a pretty good idea that Vince had a messed up childhood and in this case it seems to have contributed to making him a messed up adult. It's hard to not connect some dots.

Doesn't excuse anything, just a thing to observe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Eau de MacGowan posted:

ok next up

why is bayley egyptian now

+

why did seth rollins do mardi gras in philadelphia

Dunno about Bayley, maybe she's hispanic but maybe she's part Egyptian?

The Mummers are a Philadelphia tradition/parade band that all about the wacky outfits