Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Do more jokers unlock at some point or. I just having awful luck? I feel like I'm stalling out a lot. I barely see anything with multiplicative scaling and the stuff I see with additive scaling seems super specific. Is the voucher to increase the rate of planet or tarot cards in the shop a trap?

I like the Tarot one generally but only the planet one if I have something that scales off general planet usage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

new changes definitely make gold stake easier and more fun. after banging my head against gold for days i beat it second try with the new buffs.

feel

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

There’s no solid estimate for the patch beyond in the coming weeks right? I may break from the game to wait for the changes so I’m not bored by the time they come around.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

code:
Changed Blue Seal - now creates the planet card of the final poker hand played during the round
Do not sleep on this, this is an incredible change imo and makes runs go nuts if you can get a couple of blueys in there

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Ayy I did it. Spent too much time adding cards to my deck before I got the Baron, but not bad for my first time past ante 12 small blind. Went through like 20 hands digging for Mimic in the shop with no luck. Probably should have dropped the Burnt Joker earlier but I couldn't resist temptation to keep double leveling high card every hand.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Neon Belly posted:

There’s no solid estimate for the patch beyond in the coming weeks right? I may break from the game to wait for the changes so I’m not bored by the time they come around.

I believe LT said they wanted to test these changes for about a week before releasing, so shouldn't be a terribly long wait.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Do more jokers unlock at some point or. I just having awful luck? I feel like I'm stalling out a lot. I barely see anything with multiplicative scaling and the stuff I see with additive scaling seems super specific. Is the voucher to increase the rate of planet or tarot cards in the shop a trap?

you can check the collection for all of the requirements to unlock jokers. legendaries will just say "?????" (but those are Soul exclusive anyway)

a handful of useful ones are gated but a lot of it is just that there's 150 of those fuckers and the overwhelming majority of them are not useful at the point in time they appear for you

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

new changes definitely make gold stake easier and more fun. after banging my head against gold for days i beat it second try with the new buffs.

feel
You’ve been robbed of a real win. All that effort lost like tears in the rain.

Not really though gold stake wasn’t really that hard it just narrowed the pool of possible strategies if you wanted to beat it consistently.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Did gold stake pretty easily on the beta version. I don't feel like the rental jokers are that punishing, basically because when you're doing well on a run you have enough money to make up 3 gold per turn anyway so either you're doing well and it doesn't matter or you're doing bad and it doesn't matter anyway. It feels like it mostly just narrows joker selection early on like eternal does.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

gold stake sucked and as someone who did it 'legit' or whatever i'm glad fewer people have to deal with it now

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So new changes feel really good. I've still bonked off of trying to beat orange stake but the feel is more fun. The ramping is less insane and more jokers are great.

I reached ante 8 of orange stake going with the Moonknight strategy ("Random Bullshit, Go!") and nearly beat violet vessel off of a mixture of castle, holographic swashbuckler and constellation. It was a fun loss instead of an infuriating one.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Relyssa posted:

gold stake sucked and as someone who did it 'legit' or whatever i'm glad fewer people have to deal with it now
:hmmyes:

I honestly still think it feels difficult, I just spend so much less time on runs that die in Antes 1-3

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Arzaac posted:

I honestly still think it feels difficult, I just spend so much less time on runs that die in Antes 1-3

this is the most important thing, honestly. gold stake before these changes you can tell right away if you're not escaping ante 1 or 2 and have to spend an eternity resetting for a good start. you're much more likely to at least get off the ground now

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

dear god new Yorick is sick

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I'll still put in anybody's first Gold Stakes win into the Hall of Fame even after the patch, as far as I'm concerned, a win is a win.

(I'm gonna keep playing the current version until the beta becomes 1.0.1 officially though.)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Since the discard / hand count decreases for higher stakes were removed, does that make the green deck less awful there?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Blue stake is still -1 discard after the changes. I was fine with Green deck until gold stake before, it being literally my favorite deck. IMO the -1 hand size alone made it miserable, just like it makes black deck miserable. In short, yes, getting rid of -1 hand size at gold stake would have fixed it, in my opinion.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

We need this patch on switch asap

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Finally beat Orange on Checkered deck:

Started with Certificate and Odd Todd from the very first shop. Yeah occasionally Certificate popped out a card of the wrong suit but I really didn't care if it was a purple seal I wanted to discard anyways, or a blue seal I wanted to hold. It also kept vomiting out red seals on odds. The new blue seals are absolutely disgusting if you have a build growing, and doubly so if you've got the Observatory voucher.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Nooooo half the point of high stakes is to teach people to stop playing flush builds we can’t let them keep getting away with it

Congrats tho first orange and gold are very satisfying even if incredibly frustrating

Quantum of Phallus posted:

We need this patch on switch asap

I really want to try the new blue seal in particular. I had a small fondness for them and 8 ball despite being total garbage so I'm glad to see it get buffed. TBH I sort of wish 8 ball worked the same way rather than tarrot generation, if it had 2+ 8's give you a planet card (like old 8 ball) but of the hand played (or perhaps of most played hand/highest level planet). Tarrot generation is really cool don't get me wrong there's just a lot of stuff that already does it, not much planetary interaction.

PoundSand fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 9, 2024

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Sitting here at the dog park and drat I hope the mobile release is soonish

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Got my first Gold Stake done before the Switch patch! Ride the Bus came early and got big, Supernova got to 57 in the end, Cartomancer and Riff-Raff kept feeding the Campfire until ante 8 where they were sold just to make sure I didn't die to the boss. 10/10 game, time to not deal with gold stake's bullshit till the patch lands.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

They buffed bloodstone???

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah now you can get even angrier when it doesn't proc a single time in 3 flush hands, killing your run.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sirtommygunn posted:

Yeah now you can get even angrier when it doesn't proc a single time in 3 flush hands, killing your run.

It's the same rng as the Wheel lmao

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Fun fact about the guaranteed Buffoon pack: it's guaranteed in the first shop you visit, meaning you can still skip the first small blind (or even both ante 1 blinds!) and get it.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

sirtommygunn posted:

or you can finds Oops all 6s and get a guaranteed x32 mult on heart flushes (and then run into the boss blind that disables hearts before the boss blind reroll voucher shows up)

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Lmao I burned myself out trying gold stake over and over, took some time off, came back to it today and got it on my first try. Didn't get a photo but I was playing checkered deck and got green joker on the first shop. Rode that for a bit, scaling it and saving up money. Got blue joker to help me through a bit more. Then I got an eternal vagabond and the tarot mult scaling joker. Made enough money to reroll a bit and bam, holographic stunt man! That was feeling pretty good but I desperately needed a mult multiplier. And then... God bless you campfire, right on ante 8 small blind. With vagabond I was able to scale it up to x5 before the boss, which went down to a single high card.

I think I'm gonna steer clear of gold stake until the patch. But that felt pretty good. And very lucky.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

apophenium posted:

Lmao I burned myself out trying gold stake over and over, took some time off, came back to it today and got it on my first try. Didn't get a photo but I was playing checkered deck and got green joker on the first shop. Rode that for a bit, scaling it and saving up money. Got blue joker to help me through a bit more. Then I got an eternal vagabond and the tarot mult scaling joker. Made enough money to reroll a bit and bam, holographic stunt man! That was feeling pretty good but I desperately needed a mult multiplier. And then... God bless you campfire, right on ante 8 small blind. With vagabond I was able to scale it up to x5 before the boss, which went down to a single high card.

I think I'm gonna steer clear of gold stake until the patch. But that felt pretty good. And very lucky.

The specific stuff you got that run is a bit lucky, but you don't really need it. If you got green joker early on and blue joker you have a lot of breathing room to find what you need to clear the run and those are both common. Holo stuntman is nice but it's just fine without holo and it's only uncommon. Campfire cleared it but even gold ante 8 is doable without xmult, you can use some psuedo xmult like something duping your green.

Orange/gold stake (or really any difficulty) is solved entirely by just going a high card/pair build that has some combo of early gaming scaling green/ride the bus/supernova/pants/square with whatever works and it'll happen within half a dozen runs or so. You get burnt by trying to go for harder hands because the penalties to deck manipulation (orange) and handsize (gold) are too stringent without a p exceptionally lucky run (or using erratic deck). That you were on checkered deck sort of indicates you were going for the beginner trap of flushes which will certainly be hard to win with on high stakes but it really isn't difficult at all to just play ante's 1/2 until you hit two common jokers and get a free win. Don't skip, don't try to be flashy, look for early scaling alongside some consistent flat scoring and transition into whatever gives you more points later while still playing simple hands and you'll win.

It's exceptionally boring and I'm glad the dev is changing it but it's not a particularly hard problem to solve either. I think the main issue from a design perspective was that the early game conditioned people to go for certain things and ripped it away later. It really is that dead simple though, I was grinding up the yellow deck last weekend and here was my orange stake run. No foil, no polychrome, no rares, there is one negative but it was from a spectral pack because handsize was irrelevant. I played highcard and did nothing for 8 antes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Yeah absolutely true about high card/pair strats being the most dependable way to topple gold (or all of them). My failures with checkered deck came from trying to rely on flushes the whole game and then trying to transition to like flush five or flush house... but then not drawing that when I need it. You know what hand you can draw 100% of the time? High card! Using easy flushes with checkered to save up some money and build up some interest and then using that to get some better engine that can ramp high card.

The changes (I haven't played with them too much, somehow, in trying to increase performance on the Steam Deck, I ended up with worse performance) seem to increase the potential winning setups for higher stakes while also increasing the kinds of complex decision making that really hooks me into the game. So I'm pretty excited to actually go for completionist++ with the changes.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I've never been able to make Campfire work, are y'all running tarot engines to get cards to sell or what?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

quiggy posted:

I've never been able to make Campfire work, are y'all running tarot engines to get cards to sell or what?

Refresh the shop, buy tarot/planet card, immediately sell tarot/planet card, repeat.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Tbh it also works extremely well if you have a spare joker slot because then you can sell jokers to buff it too.

Combos well with joker stencil for exactly that reason.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

quiggy posted:

Yeah it works best if you can play with 4 jokers and spare money to buy cheap common jokers to buy/sell/re-roll to boost it up.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

ok, I'm just going to do it. I'm going to make this guy another few million dollars.

are you ready? here it comes.

Uno Balatro

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Second gold stake win. Got real scary at the end since the first hand debuffed Cavendish and another one debuffed the queen mult. Got the win last hand.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Well that's gonna be hard to beat. I assume going infinite depends on the boss reroll voucher? Also probably some luck with negative jokers. Could really have used some more +chips, hand size or the extra life joker. I did enjoy getting Constellation up to around 12X multiplier.

Wondering if I also should have blueprinted mimic instead of baron, not sure how order of operations works out with that kind of thing.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Chadzok posted:

ok, I'm just going to do it. I'm going to make this guy another few million dollars.

are you ready? here it comes.

Uno Balatro

Someone's already trying to make it. It...doesn't look good.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2882430/Baluno/

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

god the new infuriating thing about high stakes is getting a scaling joker with perishable on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Alkydere posted:

Someone's already trying to make it. It...doesn't look good.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2882430/Baluno/

I dunno man looks to me like balatro was rushed to market just to try and get out ahead of this