Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Smith is like the only other guy doing a drat thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Braden came to play

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

C. Everett Koop posted:

I don't see it. He's not particularly fleet of foot, doesn't have a game outside of back to the basket, isn't a super aggressive rebounder for his size and while he'll block some shots he doesn't seem to intimidate as much as you think he would; we've seen UConn players drive and get some shots off around him. His success in college has come off bullying guys six inches shorter and forty-fifty pounds lighter. If he had any real pro value he would have jumped last year when he was POY, but he came back because the NIL money he earns now is going to be more than he'll probably get in the NBA.

He's limited offensively and I don't see what he could do in the pros. He can't go and guard anyone smaller than him because they'll drag him out of the paint and drive around him. Someone like KAT would eat Edey alive and Wemby would earn a supermax off playing Edey alone.

Best case scenario he's a second rounder and has a Tacko Fall like career before heading overseas.

Does Edey get NIL money? I thought I read since he’s Canadian, he can’t really get NIL stuff.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

C. Everett Koop posted:

I don't see it. He's not particularly fleet of foot, doesn't have a game outside of back to the basket, isn't a super aggressive rebounder for his size and while he'll block some shots he doesn't seem to intimidate as much as you think he would; we've seen UConn players drive and get some shots off around him. His success in college has come off bullying guys six inches shorter and forty-fifty pounds lighter. If he had any real pro value he would have jumped last year when he was POY, but he came back because the NIL money he earns now is going to be more than he'll probably get in the NBA.

He's limited offensively and I don't see what he could do in the pros. He can't go and guard anyone smaller than him because they'll drag him out of the paint and drive around him. Someone like KAT would eat Edey alive and Wemby would earn a supermax off playing Edey alone.

Best case scenario he's a second rounder and has a Tacko Fall like career before heading overseas.

I would take it up with the people who project this stuff for a living. He might not be good but there are only so many 7'4" guys who have any shooting touch. Luka Garza got drafted and had significantly less NBA upside. Boban Marjanovic is still in the league.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Givony has him in the lottery and he doesn't have him that high at this point unless someone is talking to him and telling him they're considering him that high.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Does Edey get NIL money? I thought I read since he’s Canadian, he can’t really get NIL stuff.

You are correct

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

C. Everett Koop posted:

He's quicker and bigger than a lot of bigs on NBA playoff teams. He doesn't have to be the best player on his team in the NBA which will let him still get matchups he is decent at. He won't have to create as much, just finish what others create for him and he appears to be good enough at that.

Being picked in the teens is worth the gamble he turns into a starter quality player. Like 2/3 of the players drafted in those spots don't get a second contract, anyway.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Rick posted:

Givony has him in the lottery and he doesn't have him that high at this point unless someone is talking to him and telling him they're considering him that high.

Tankathon big board has him in the 30s, which would feel like a high water mark for him. But once a major site said Reed Sheppard should go first I stopped paying attention to any of these lunatics.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I miss Gene Keady's combover

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
This is Edey's 7th year of organized basketball and he's improved every year. He shoots 70ish % from the FT line, he should be able to get a decent mid-range jumper. I wish he would have picked up the Tim Duncan bankshot to give him one more weapon this year.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Drunk Nerds posted:

I don't know anything about the men's game, but UConn's coach seems like a real Kim Mulkey IYKWIM

Hes Awful and I hate him

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

trevorreznik posted:

Hes Awful and I hate him

Yeah he's on the court a bunch and bitching about everything

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I’ll take a six point deficit, Lance Jones can get back to work after surviving with two fouls. Get Loyer an early look or two to see if you can get him going

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Hurley makes a lot of funny faces and is very very dramatic.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Haha ah man huskies are gonna run away with this aren't they

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

The three teams that beat UConn shot 50%+. Purdue currently at 46.4%. That won't cut it.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Apparently he threw a pen on the floor.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm going to admit something: I thought Dan Hurley was Dan Majerle.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

PotatoJudge posted:

This is Edey's 7th year of organized basketball and he's improved every year. He shoots 70ish % from the FT line, he should be able to get a decent mid-range jumper. I wish he would have picked up the Tim Duncan bankshot to give him one more weapon this year.

I'd like Edey more if he was a better defender. He feels very hesitant to go out and challenge, in part because of his lack of lateral mobility, and that's death in pace and space NBA. It also feels like he goes block hunting when he would have more value in playing straight up and let dudes throw up awkward shots around him. UConn shouldn't be this aggressive inside without paying some kind of price. He's 22nd in blocks (Clingan is 8th for comparisons sake) which is not great for someone as overwhelmingly bigger than 90% of his competition.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

PotatoJudge posted:

Apparently he threw a pen on the floor.

He walked up to Edey and said something clearly critical. I think that should be a T, what a coward.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Edey won't be able to just stand next to the basket in the NBA. There are so many bigger guys in the NBA now who play on the parameter, he'll be a huge defensive liability.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Haha ah man huskies are gonna run away with this aren't they

They're gonna do the thing they do every game where it seems like a decent matchup and then suddenly they are up by 16

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

It’s the 2001 Rose Bowl and Zach Edey is Drew Brees.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

C. Everett Koop posted:

I'd like Edey more if he was a better defender. He feels very hesitant to go out and challenge, in part because of his lack of lateral mobility, and that's death in pace and space NBA. It also feels like he goes block hunting when he would have more value in playing straight up and let dudes throw up awkward shots around him. UConn shouldn't be this aggressive inside without paying some kind of price. He's 22nd in blocks (Clingan is 8th for comparisons sake) which is not great for someone as overwhelmingly bigger than 90% of his competition.

I’ll be curious to see if the NBA allows him to defend more, he holds off on fouling because he’s too valuable on offense to really go in and play defense. He only goes for those monster blocks when they’re really obvious, otherwise he just puts his hands up and interferes.

I don’t think he’ll be long for the NBA but the G-League existing gives him a better chance of developing into at least a role player off the bench.

Barkhawk
Dec 23, 2006

Hurley has some serious Doctor Romano energy.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Trolling my buddy by saying yesterday's game was better than this one lol

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Being named the Naismith Player of the Year or Wooden Award winner and not being drafted is basically unprecedented, although funnily enough the only example is the most recent one (Oscar Tshiebwe).

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Hurley is fun to watch if you're a UConn fan but I'm already confident everyone else will hate his guts within five years if the program stays successful.

I don't think he's an established homophobe like Mulkey, he has that going for him.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Dango Bango posted:

Trolling my buddy by saying yesterday's game was better than this one lol

It's not trolling when it's the truth.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Purdue thought they were safe because St. Peter's was on the opposite end of their divisional bracket. Unfortunately,

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Being named the Naismith Player of the Year or Wooden Award winner and not being drafted is basically unprecedented, although funnily enough the only example is the most recent one (Oscar Tshiebwe).

And it was another case of someone who could physically overwhelm collegiate bigs but with a game that doesn't translate to the next level. Oscar did just win G-League ROY but it feels like if he wants to make any money it'll be overseas.

20-25 years ago Edey a top 3 pick. But so was Hasheem Thabeet.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Oof gotta find a gear here or it’s gonna get out of hand quickly

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Seems like Purdue made zero adjustments. Gonna be rough.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah and he just won G league rookie of the year. I'm not 100% sure he is gonna stick in the NBA but he has a lot of game and I'm glad Indiana is giving him a shot.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I'm not much of a basketball fan but it seems like Purdue relied in every game on shooting 3s out of double teams on Edey. And since Uconn isn't doubling they are barely shooting 3s despite being so good at them.

And ... It seems Purdue hasn't changed anything up? Still just feeding Edey down low except now he's missing?

This is going to be over quick

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Someone answer me this: do they ever run lobs for Edey?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

yo what

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Jones leaned over

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

That was sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Danger zone time for Purdue. Gotta keep it single digits.