Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Bad Purchase posted:

what’s the overlap with people believing 3 year olds are recalling past lives with people big into UFOs? it’s gotta be drat near the exact same set of people right?

Basically, yeah.

These people can't handle being told they are wrong, and they won't tell each other that they are wrong, because then they might say the same thing to you, so everything overlaps with everything.

UFOs are aliens are demons are angels are time-travelers. It's all true at the same time, as long as everyone in your circles agree to support everyone else's bullshit.

The only thing that isn't true is something that tells you that you are wrong.

Linux Pirate posted:

Reincarnation sounds like a pain in the rear end. Also the children are lying or are being told to talk about that poo poo from adults.

But the adults said they didn't tell them to...

The Bible fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

If you give something like $100,000 to a Buddhist temple they will confirm that you are in fact a re-incarnated buddhist monk and that makes it totally okay for you to wear a gi everywhere and bow to asian people in public.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

itt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKIwj1TQmFs

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Lotta Karmic energy in this thread. Not so chill.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Is it always 3 year olds?

Like, what happened 3 years ago to let a bunch of souls loose in our plane?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Esplanade posted:

It's like 27 for rock singers/messiahs

mystes
May 31, 2006

Esplanade posted:

Obviously 3 is the sweet spot where kids are able to talk but haven't quite forgotten their past lives yet

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It's true. There's a chart showing memory loss of past lives as you get older.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

redshirt posted:

It's true. There's a chart showing memory loss of past lives as you get older.

May I see it?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pencilhands posted:

May I see it?

No, that's for 3rd Degree Members.

But basically by 3 years old you're about to forget everything of the lives before.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

pencilhands posted:

May I see it?

why is the pug getting sluttier

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

OMFG FURRY posted:

Past lives are just starting to assert themselves and take control.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

OMFG FURRY posted:

It's getting harder to tell smugpen and cilhandworth apart

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
it's the same poster

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

All is One, we are all but reflections of the One

Barudak
May 7, 2007

redshirt posted:

My name is Yu Law, and I am nobodies bitch

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

redshirt posted:

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Why is he doing the Gangnam Style dance?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Each new generation is that much further removed from The One

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I always thought if they made a sequel it should be called The Other One.

I thought it up as a dumb joke but now that I think about it, the plot could be the formation of universe 126, so now there's another Law out there. And because he's had his powers his whole life, due to coming into existence after You Law started redistributing power, he's way more used to them than Gabriel, so Gabe has to go get Yu Law out of prison to beat this guy and save the day.

Jason Statham also collects a paycheque.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Mmmmm pseudo-profound bullshit

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Mmmmm pseudo-profound bullshit

Something about gluons I don't understand so you see we're all really just energy man

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
https://www.psypost.org/the-psychology-of-pseudo-profound-bullshit-insights-from-8-studies/

They got some good studies on pseudo-profound bullshit.. "statements that sound deep and meaningful but are actually empty of content"

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

OMFG FURRY posted:

A complete lack of restrictions and oversight for dog breeders.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*Virtual Particles

*Snorts fat line of quarks

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
nobody should ever put a ghost inside a child

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Pac and Cheese posted:

nobody should ever put a ghost inside a child

The children are inviting spirits in. That's why kids these days are so demonic.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Minotaurus Rex posted:

https://www.psypost.org/the-psychology-of-pseudo-profound-bullshit-insights-from-8-studies/

They got some good studies on pseudo-profound bullshit.. "statements that sound deep and meaningful but are actually empty of content"

The ads it showed me in the article are for some pseudoscience about how to find your "weight loss block* and astrology considerations for marriage.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
Maybe some people find it comforting, to me the idea of being perpetually recycled and experiencing pain and loss over and over again is distressing.

I mean, what's the point? If I'm a bird or a cockroach or even another human, it's not me anymore. If it was proven that reincarnation was real, I don't honestly know if it would change anything.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

vudan posted:

Maybe some people find it comforting, to me the idea of being perpetually recycled and experiencing pain and loss over and over again is distressing.

I mean, what's the point? If I'm a bird or a cockroach or even another human, it's not me anymore. If it was proven that reincarnation was real, I don't honestly know if it would change anything.

This is the question of Nietzsche's Eternal Return: Imagine you had all the time in the world, eternal, and you keep having to make the same choices, over and over, in just the same way eventually....

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

The ads it showed me in the article are for some pseudoscience about how to find your "weight loss block* and astrology considerations for marriage.

Lol nice. I have adblock on so didn’t see that. Anyone that clicks on those ads in that context is as perfect a mark as this threads OP

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

vudan posted:

It’s supposed to be distressing. It’s eastern religions answer to western religions hellfire & damnation. It’s supposed to scare you into submission so you follow the priest class’s dictates. Fortunately there’s no proof for it either.

Ahh nothing quite like an empty threat framed as positivity from a self-appointed ‘spiritual’ authoritarian who thinks the sun shines from his rear end, backed up by nothing more than some high school level quasi-philosophical verbal white noise. Mmm that’s good charlatanism

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 9, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Beginner Tips:

1 Follow the Light
2 But not the False Light
3 Whenever there's a choice, choose "The Light"

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Me who prefers dark mode: :ohdear:

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Minotaurus Rex posted:

high school level quasi-philosophical verbal white noise
don't sign your posts

But seriously it sucks that you had bad experiences with Theravadins/vipassana. IMO there's very few people who have their heart fully set on the right stuff in any tradition, and certain things like institutional culture can make that extremely dangerous. Meditation can also really gently caress you up, and is just a tool among other tools to have a less stressful life and a greater capacity to care for others.

Also actually getting some serious work done in meditation can make you temporarily (or permanently) a worse person, because you don't have insight into the new poo poo you have to pay attention to. And Theravada in particular is prone to painting certain milestones as rare, saintly, etc. when in reality people are still capable hurting the poo poo out of people.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
While I agree with the criticisms you made I would go further to say the whole things a scam in the same way, say, Catholicism is a scam and that there is no such thing as enlightenment any more than there was a omniscient godman (the Buddha) walking around 2500 years ago. Or rather a being that even the ‘gods’ and ‘celestial beings’ deferred to, so a super-god person. I think the benefits of mindfulness meditation are vastly overstated and mainly placebo/confirmation bias due to time invested doing it.

If it didn’t allow people to grant themselves an air of smug mystic superiority and come with a load of tedious thought-terminating spiritual slogans to dispense ad nauseam no one would bother. It’s all just a bullshit social game. I agree peoples minds can snap from all the psychological and emotional abuse entailed within the vipassana movement and that this is often framed as a ‘milestone’

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 9, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Me who prefers dark mode: :ohdear:

Join us in The Light

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

Minotaurus Rex posted:

While I agree with the criticisms you made I would go further to say the whole things a scam in the same way, say, Catholicism is a scam and that there is no such thing as enlightenment any more than there was a omniscient godman (the Buddha) walking around 2500 years ago. Or rather a being that even the ‘gods’ and ‘celestial beings’ deferred to, so a super-god person. I think the benefits of mindfulness meditation are vastly overstated and mainly placebo/confirmation bias due to time invested doing it.

If it didn’t allow people to grant themselves an air of smug mystic superiority and come with a load of tedious thought-terminating spiritual slogans to dispense ad nauseam no one would bother. It’s all just a bullshit social game. I agree peoples minds can snap from all the psychological and emotional abuse entailed within the vipassana movement and that this is often framed as a ‘milestone’
It is very much not ime. there was some stuff physically locked up in me that would have taken years and years to hit on in therapy, and even then potentially no path forward to unwinding it. Gone. like vomiting something up, or being violently forced to drop something.

And it's true that there are things that you can't unsee about oneself and others once you see them. Sometimes people hit on that stuff in the course of their life with no religious context whatsoever though, and certain Buddhisms thinking that they have an absolute monopoly on like, being a human being is laughable.

But it is certainly not for everyone. And for potentially years you can be far worse off than when you started, in terms of being a functional person.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

nice obelisk idiot posted:

And it's true that there are things that you can't unsee about oneself and others once you see them.

Once you are told to see them by a teacher, as prescribed by the scriptures, while you are in a highly suggestible trance-like state

nice obelisk idiot posted:

But it is certainly not for everyone.

As I said, like any decent con, it preys on people's desire to feel superior to others

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

I meant more like how deeply people can hurt. or how arrogance is a deep fundamental defense mechanism that I struggle with often, as displayed by some of my posting. i kinda dug a hole for myself with this derail tbh.

and I meant certainly not for everyone as in there are many things to do that are a positive thing. like volunteering. but some people are unhealthy in a certain way, and meditation etc can help, just like some people can benefit from structured therapy.

nice obelisk idiot fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 9, 2024