Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

redshirt posted:

Also, thinking about it, that friendship - Teal'c and O'Niell - is one of the foundations of the show, and what makes it so great.
That's the foundation of the show, Teal'c saying to O'Neill (paraphrasing) "many have said they'll take down the Goa'uld. [pregnant pause] But you're the first I've believed!"

And, well, indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

John Wick of Dogs posted:

So far in SG-1 the main inconsistency I get is O'Neill sometimes is able to inherently understand a complicated situation pretty fast, but sometimes he's real boneheaded when the situation seems really obvious to me, the audience.

They do a pretty good job of maintaining the consistency that Jack isn't nearly as dumb as he lets on, my favorite example of this is the black hole episode where he's doing the usual dopey-doo act until Carter says that the base is in danger and then immediately drops it and goes into business mode, he was following along just fine.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like this little guy with the big glasses who operates the computer, I don't know if he's ever even been given a name, just seems like a pretty cool little dweeb. Professional.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I like this little guy with the big glasses who operates the computer, I don't know if he's ever even been given a name, just seems like a pretty cool little dweeb. Professional.

Hell yeah! Walter! He's in the show for the whole ride. Great background character. Love him.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Walter and Stiler are the unsung heroes of SGC

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

FFT posted:

Walter and Stiler are the unsung heroes of SGC

They are also very accurate portrayals of military personnel.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I love the line (from the documentary episode I think?) where Walter is all "Chevron seven isn't really different from the other six, but I say 'locked!' just to add a little flair to it"

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
You mean Chief Master Sergeant Harriman

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i think of myself first as a chief, then as a master, then a sergeant, a harry, and finally: a man

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

They are also very accurate portrayals of military personnel.

as a long time military man i can confirm all building and fixing is done with a comically large wrench

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just reached the season 1 finale and then season 2 opener. All time great cliffhanger and satisfying conclusion. I liked it better than Best of Both Worlds

Edit: Only thing that would have made the episode better was that senator showing up to eat poo poo and give a mea culpa

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 7, 2024

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

One weird thing that just occurred to me, TNG in development originally they were not going to have ships and be advanced enough to just transport people to other planets, or that was at least one of the concepts they toyed with in development phase. At the same time, Roddenberry came up with the premise for the conspiracy episode which was about parasite alien worms inside people that took over. And these were originally possibly going to be the major antagonist of TNG.

So Star Trek TNG was almost Stargate

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like how Carter always enunciates Goa'uld correctly and sometimes the characters will literally spell it and say how it is pronounced to others, but Daniel Jackson is always like "Watch out for the goolds"

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

I like how Carter always enunciates Goa'uld correctly and sometimes the characters will literally spell it and say how it is pronounced to others, but Daniel Jackson is always like "Watch out for the goolds"

they stole his wife/girlfriend of the week/random hookup, they don't deserve an apostrophe.

Only Teal'c has that honour.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It really helps to me that there's is a pretty small cast compared to a lot of shows. You got four main characters, their boss, and shells the doctor character.

Eventually you'll get recurring characters across seasons and even shows and they still do a really good job when somebody pops in that you haven't seen in ten episodes.

The two times it's really awkward are when the main actress for Atlantis is replaced right after being introduced, and a guy who likes Carter is recast as the recast Atlantis lady's husband.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The casting pool is so shallow … they’re forced to hire their family members and people RDA thinks are a good time.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

https://youtu.be/YA-WkTAVvcE?si=SIkVjx1HtUX4xE-N

Citizen Joe is such a bizarre and fun episode, I'm sure RDA was stoked they got Castellaneta

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

redshirt posted:

Old Doc Frazier

*beam in the eye

What could *possibly* be in my eye that explains this!

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
I've been noticing SGA's Ronon (Jason Momoa) and Sheppard (Joe Flanigan) in a Guinness commercial together lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyd1CUA-Yo4

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

This is the "Rewatch Stargate SG-1 Season 2 Episode 21" page.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FFT posted:

I got like 18 episodes before I get there

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I got like 18 episodes before I get there

The name of the episode has the page number in it

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I've been noticing SGA's Ronon (Jason Momoa) and Sheppard (Joe Flanigan) in a Guinness commercial together lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyd1CUA-Yo4

I get the impression he likes working with his friends when he can, he's been in stuff with and in a movie directed by David Hewlett as well.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

FFT posted:

lmfao i forgot, the hippie chick immediately tries at Daniel

Also, Teal'c hat headwear:

stringless fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 8, 2024

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

kdrudy posted:

I get the impression he likes working with his friends when he can, he's been in stuff with and in a movie directed by David Hewlett as well.

Wow, I had thought he only made A Dog's Breakfast, featuring his sister (As his sister), Paul McGillion (Dr. Beckett from SGA), Christopher Judge, and Rachel Luttrell.

Everyone should watch A Dog's Breakfast.

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, a A Dog's Breakfast is really fun.

Debug is... well, A Dog's Breakfast is a good one.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It was a good year (the summer of)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hahaha ok the way Daniel Jackson's parents died is actually insane

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

FFT posted:

lmfao i forgot, the hippie chick immediately tries at Daniel

Also, Teal'c hat headwear:

lol fake German Daniel

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

*Shake hands with danger guitar riff*

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Amanda Tapping really makes you fall instantly in love with Captain Carter every episode

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

The complete lack of even the most basic safety measures astounds me. Given that both his parents are dumb enough to go out that way, it's surprising Daniel hasn't... Wait, nevermind. Yeah, it makes perfect sense that Daniel's parents are so death prone.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ok sweet Jesus the next episode. It's a very special addicted to drugs episode but for the purposes of this metaphor the drug is sleeping in a magic coffin

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

The complete lack of even the most basic safety measures astounds me. Given that both his parents are dumb enough to go out that way, it's surprising Daniel hasn't... Wait, nevermind. Yeah, it makes perfect sense that Daniel's parents are so death prone.

And he became an egyptologist. It's like a Batman villain origin story

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Eh the science coffin is kinda integral to the plot though.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Jackson Begins

:lol: Ra's al Goa'uld.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Chronojam posted:

Eh the science coffin is kinda integral to the plot though.

So metaphorically all the system lords are the way they are cause they're huge cokeheads

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Ok sweet Jesus the next episode. It's a very special addicted to drugs episode but for the purposes of this metaphor the drug is sleeping in a magic coffin

Sarcophagi. Not even once.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Sardonik posted:

*Shake hands with danger guitar riff*

I lol'd, then showed my partner Shake Hands With Danger so she'd get it too :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

So metaphorically all the system lords are the way they are cause they're huge cokeheads

*Sniffs in Goa'uld voice