Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Especially with non-elemental shredders that have a more narrow grinding AoE than elemental shredders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Btw can you start a new game through the dlc or you have to continue from your last save?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You have to have a late game save (someone earlier said a postgame save)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
You need to have beaten the main game to play Burning Shores.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There are already 100% pre-BS saves available on NexusMods though.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I forgot Cauldron Iota is combined with overriding a Tallneck, that was such a clever thing to vary up the game design

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Trying this on PC, and it's a very pretty game in 4k/120fps (thanks to the magic of framegen). Some of the extra graphical options/improvements also make a surprisingly big difference.

For some reason I had this pervasive issue with microstutter when rotating the camera, but I fixed it somehow by doing...something. Not sure what made the difference. My best guess is that changing my monitor's gsync to "fullscreen and window" instead of just "fullscreen" made the difference, though I'm not sure why since I had previously tried the game in both fullscreen (which I guess is borderless windowed) and exclusive fullscreen and still had the issue.

When I played it on PS5 I remember basically just resorting to spamming explosives at enemies later on, since you can effectively have infinite ammo by doing so. Does harder modes disable crafting during combat? That seems like the sort of thing it'd make sense to have as a difficulty setting (though certainly not one I'd ever use).

edit: One thing that I remember bugged me in the original but is actually worse in 4k is that it's often hard for me to see highlighted enemies/loot when using the focus. There's just so much detail everywhere and it's hard to make out the little glowy blue areas. Maybe there's an accessibility thing related to it, though I found that I didn't like the colorblind options (despite being colorblind).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 7, 2024

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Come on game, you're really not going to show me the hosed up mutant Ted Faro in the depths of his bunker? He's been in there for 15000 years and then you just have some faceless goon kill him off screen immediately? And I don't even get to kill the dumb cult guy myself?

Game has been good up until now but they dropped the ball with that last sequence.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Come on game, you're really not going to show me the hosed up mutant Ted Faro in the depths of his bunker? He's been in there for 15000 years and then you just have some faceless goon kill him off screen immediately? And I don't even get to kill the dumb cult guy myself?

Game has been good up until now but they dropped the ball with that last sequence.

That one's better left to the imagination. Anything they showed would disappoint someone. I personally love that they did that.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

There are already 100% pre-BS saves available on NexusMods though.

Ya I already have my save. I was wondering if it's more of a standalone type of thing but I guess it's similar to Frozen Wilds.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Medullah posted:

That one's better left to the imagination. Anything they showed would disappoint someone. I personally love that they did that.

agreed

I do wish they gave us a little more in the audio, or a stronger sickened reaction from the guy who walks in there and first sees him. Leave it to the imagination, but prime our brains a little more. Make it weird.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Potato Salad posted:

agreed

I do wish they gave us a little more in the audio, or a stronger sickened reaction from the guy who walks in there and first sees him. Leave it to the imagination, but prime our brains a little more. Make it weird.

I mean, to their credit, the guy is someone basically raised to worship this guy, and he sees him and immediately goes "burn it". it's an abomination, worse than you could ever think.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Medullah posted:

Yeah we've all seen cronenbergs by now

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Potato Salad posted:

agreed

Yeah my only issue with it is how it’s presented. Dude walks off screen and then comes back disgusted. It could’ve been a lot more impactful if they did it differently.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Medullah posted:

This has been discussed a couple of times before, so I'm going to repost my thoughts that add up to, "Bullshit."

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

*They shouldn't have done it at all. It was obvious fan service reacting to the, "gently caress Ted Faro," sentiment. It wasn't enough to assume Ted died alone in a bunker somewhere, we had to get the satisfaction of knowing how or even getting to do it ourselves or seeing it done. They should have given us credit for being adults and let it lie.

*If they were going to detail his death at all, dying slowly a natural death after going insane and alone in his bunker would have been better.

*Barring that, if you had to go with the life extension route, stick with the dying alone and insane.

*Barring that, if you had to go with him still being alive, do not give me the horseshit about leaving it to our imaginations. You can do that if you are a storyteller with the skill to pull it off. Guerilla Games don't have the chops for that. They are not Steven Spielberg or Alfred Hitchcock, etc. As much as they improved in that area in the second game, they still have miles to go when it comes to "shooting" basic dramatic scenes. What we got looked like they couldn't decide what to do and threw up their hands and said, "Ok, poo poo, have someone go off camera and kill him." There was ZERO artistry, suspense, or POINT to it. It was perfunctory, nothing about it came across as a deeply considered creative decision.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 9, 2024

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

This has been discussed a couple of times before, so I'm going to repost my thoughts that add up to, "Bullshit."

Nah. While they could have done a better job, they made the right choice here.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
We had a wireframe representation of him filling up a large cylindrical room, and a dull roar in the background. Maybe they just weren’t confident throwing together a resident evil/dead space monstrosity was worth the effort when you could cheap out with an offscreen.

I’m more annoyed with the Ceo just throwing all our previous cooperation out the window and telling his guys to agro on sight to us. And you get out and nothing happens with that faction.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

theCalamity posted:

Yeah my only issue with it is how it’s presented. Dude walks off screen and then comes back disgusted. It could’ve been a lot more impactful if they did it differently.
Ted Faro in the Absolutely Safe Capsule

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I liked the portrayal of Ceo in that mission because it gives me hope that one day someone in the real world will be crushed by this abomination.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Lategame spoilers

yeah, that was my biggest problem, he shouldnt have been alive to begin with. Also dislike the whole direction of this god-emperor of the new world route complete with a sex cult. Took a pretty mundanely recognizable villainy and made him a exagerrated comic book villain. Look how bad he is, dont you just love to hate him? gently caress (HFW's rendition of) Ted Faro.

DLC spoilers:

And as well-acted as Londra was, it felt like a repeat, basically extending the villainous feats of the basegame human villains (Faros plan to indoctrinate and lead the zero dawn generation, Faros tech mogul aggrandizement, Tildas grooming to substitute a lost lover)

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 8, 2024

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I'm in the I love the way they handled it camp.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I would've preferred they just never did it. If we had to explore his bunker (and we didn't) he should of just died old and alone.

To be honest, anything to do with life extension in this game felt pretty rubbish.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 8, 2024

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Thanks for all the unmarked spoiler discussion for a game that is only a couple of weeks old for most of the people actively playing it.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Fatty posted:

Thanks for all the unmarked spoiler discussion for a game that is only a couple of weeks old for most of the people actively playing it.

It sucks. I had to delete the thread for DD2 from my bookmarks because of the thread being constant open spoilers and it doesn't even have the excuse of being a second release.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Fatty posted:

seriously what the gently caress man

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

maybe the pc release should have its own thread like hzd pc did ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Nah, theres not enough posts about the PC release to make it worthwhile.

Just don't spoil ffs.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I mainlined this game from release and finished up the 100% achievements yesterday and all I wish is that there was more. The game was extremely fun in a lot of the same ways the first one was. Going from getting your poo poo pushed in by every machine to methodically dismantling a Stormbird and Dreadwing at the same time, or a Slaughterspine and Thunderjaw at the same time is satisfying in a way that I've only experienced in a Souls game otherwise. Ropecasters and Brittle are extremely OP and make short work of even Apex UH machines if you do it right. I hope the PC release of the next game comes quicker than the last two have, but I'm sure that's a ways off.

The only things I'm missing on the completion screen are a bunch of data points but it's not very appealing to stare at a map on the second monitor to try and find all those just to go from 98% to 100% so I might put it away for now. Maybe come back some time to do Ultra Hard on a fresh save, but that might be too hard for me. Even Very Hard was very hard for my first playthrough.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
I just realized I can use DLAA + framegen to hit an almost constant 160 fps with an insanely clean image :stare: .

This game really shines on an ultrawide oled screen, probably the best looking game I've played since Cyberpunk.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

speaking of graphics, something I've been wondering: in this screenshot, is the pixel-y dust devil in the top-left an artifact of a particular graphics setting, or just part of HFW's look? the rest of this game is so pretty that that sort of effect becomes really distracting

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think it has to do with whatever image reconstruction techniques are being used (DLSS, FSR etc) because the PS5 version doesn't have that problem. Dust textures and transparency layers can look a little weird on PC.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

what's weird is the pixellation is still there even if I turn off DLSS and all AA. Lot less noticeable when I'm not paused, but still there

That said I still have the framegen injection DLL in there so my 3070 can do it, maybe that's having some kind of effect even if I turn it all off in the options

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

fuckin' computers :mad:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s intentional. They’re using stipple alpha (dithering the mask, basically) as a performance optimization because it must be cheaper than full blending for that object in that moment

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Yep. Animating dust is expensive on performance

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
There is a saying, all games graphics and design are smoke and mirrors, except for actual smoke and mirrors, which are too expensive to render.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yeah i just didn't expect that effect to look so cheap with everything else around it, is all

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

There is a saying, all games graphics and design are smoke and mirrors, except for actual smoke and mirrors, which are too expensive to render.

Wasn't it Uncharted 4 where Nathan was looking at his reflection in a bathroom mirror but it wasn't actually a "real" reflection? The reflection was actually "mirrored" versions of the bathroom and Nathan character model (complete with mirrored animations) on the other side of the wall. That was cheaper than trying to do an actual mirror.

Was this how the Duke Nukem 3D mirrors worked in the first game?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

MH Knights posted:

Wasn't it Uncharted 4 where Nathan was looking at his reflection in a bathroom mirror but it wasn't actually a "real" reflection? The reflection was actually "mirrored" versions of the bathroom and Nathan character model (complete with mirrored animations) on the other side of the wall. That was cheaper than trying to do an actual mirror.

Was this how the Duke Nukem 3D mirrors worked in the first game?

Caught this happening in Cyberpunk recently. The game bugged out for a second and as I went to look in the mirror I could already see the duplicate version of myself standing there waiting to look back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Or was that just a glitch in the matrix mikoshi is running for your engram :tinfoil: